Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Disney Thread

Sparklefan1234

12 hours ago, Loightwing said:

This is a popular thread! I'll post a song that I like too :ooh:. Some guy is singing this song for a concert at my school and I've really grown to like it. I haven't seen the movie since it's one of the obscure ones but maybe I will watch it someday!

That is one of my personal favorite Disney movies of all time. A story of how love can overcome obsession and a father-son relationship for the years.

• Brohoof 2

Walt's Words of the Day:

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."

These words remind me of Zephyr Breeze learning "Sometimes, you have to do things, even though you might fail."

Wouldn't you guys agree?

• Brohoof 2

6 minutes ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

Walt's Words of the Day:

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."

These words remind me of Zephyr Breeze learning "Sometimes, you have to do things, even though you might fail."

Wouldn't you guys agree?

I really like that statement! It's true and makes me happy just to hear it. ^_^

On 13-2-2018 at 5:51 AM, cuteycindyhoney said:

You can't have a Disney thread without my girl Kim Possible! I also just heard there's a live action Kim Possible movie in the works!

Really! It's a pity I have seen KP, but not chronological order. Need to watch again one time. :)

• Brohoof 1

13 hours ago, Loightwing said:

This is a popular thread! I'll post a song that I like too :ooh:. Some guy is singing this song for a concert at my school and I've really grown to like it. I haven't seen the movie since it's one of the obscure ones but maybe I will watch it someday!

Treasure Planet, along with Atlantis, is a criminally underrated film. Say what you will about the setting and the issues with science (I personally have no issues with it), but the character growth and story progression are legit! Along with the absolute GROGEOUS animation it's a damn shame this film remains largely forgotten.

• Brohoof 7

4 minutes ago, PathfinderCS said:

Treasure Planet, along with Atlantis, is a criminally underrated film. Say what you will about the setting and the issues with science (I personally have no issues with it), but the character growth and story progression are legit! Along with the absolute GROGEOUS animation it's a damn shame this film remains largely forgotten.

I totally agree. 

Just be careful should you choose watch Doug Walker's 2011 DisneyCember review of it. 

According to Tvtropes, In his Treasure Planet review, the reason he's so critical of it is because he's so unfamiliar with the concept of Steampunk (a huge design influence on the movie). He also erroneously refers to the film's setting as The Future when it's actually an Alternate Universe.

Your thoughts to that mistake?

• Brohoof 2

Just now, WiiGuy2014 said:

I totally agree. 

Just be careful should you choose watch Doug Walker's 2011 DisneyCember review of it. 

According to Tvtropes, In his Treasure Planet review, the reason he's so critical of it is because he's so unfamiliar with the concept of Steampunk (a huge design influence on the movie). He also erroneously refers to the film's setting as The Future when it's actually an Alternate Universe.

I've seen that review on it already; his review is a fair one. Not everyone is really going to grasp the concept that Treasure Planet was going for, so I can live with that.

• Brohoof 2

8 hours ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

I totally agree. 

8 hours ago, PathfinderCS said:

When I was in college, I went through a class on genre fiction. A good rule of thumb between fantasy and sci-fi is if Earth is present in anyway shape or form. Even if it remains forgotten to history in the far off future, if humanity comes from Earth, it's sci-fi. If humans are present but there's no indication they ever came from Earth, it's fantasy. Treasure Planet falls squarely in the latter.

• Brohoof 1

My favorite Disney movies are probably  Zootopia, Frozen, Fantasia, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Mulan, Princess and The Frog, Tangled, Wreck it Ralph, Toy Story 2, The Great Mouse Detective, Meet The Robinsons, Inside Out, Up, Moana, Dumbo, The Muppets (2011), and The Incredibles. I have yet to see Coco, so I don't know how it is.

• Brohoof 5

6 minutes ago, ultrairongorilla said:

Meet The Robinsons

Is this based on american child book or something? I never really got hold on that movie, eventhough I loved the bad guy's backstory.

I had same issue with Horton and Crinch, those stories are so familiar to US audience that movies don't feel need to introduce story's settings and universum... I don't think it's a bad movie, but imo it's not good Disney movie. But that's just me, of course

• Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, Divine plywood said:

Is this based on american child book or something? I never really got hold on that movie, eventhough I loved the bad guy's backstory.

I had same issue with Horton and Crinch, those stories are so familiar to US audience that movies don't feel need to introduce story's settings and universum... I don't think it's a bad movie, but imo it's not good Disney movie. But that's just me, of course

Meet The Robinsons is loosely based on a kids book called "A Day with Wilbur Robinson" written in 1990 by William Joyce.

WilburRobinson.jpg.cd6cb105951c736c168c5cf42070bb36.jpg

Edited by ultrairongorilla
  • Brohoof 4

1 minute ago, ultrairongorilla said:

Meet The Robinsons is loosely based on a kids book called "A Day with Wilbur Robinson" written in 1990 by William Joyce.

WilburRobinson.jpg.cd6cb105951c736c168c5cf42070bb36.jpg

You are absolutely right. And there was no time-traveling or Bowler Hat Guy involved. There's a bonus feature on the DVD/Blu-Ray that briefly talks about the book.

• Brohoof 4

5 minutes ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

And there was no time-traveling or Bowler Hat Guy involved

So that's the reason why it felt so incoherent as a story.

Pity. If they would have made script follow the book more closely, maybe movie would have turned out little better...

Just so we're clear on how this thread is going to work; as it stated in the PM:

Rules: No hate, no off-topic posts, and no NSFW content.

I'm gonna borrow a rule we use in the MLP Fan Clubs section. As such if you're just gonna hate on something Disney-related; don't bother posting here. If you want to mention disappointment or critique what bothered you; that's fine fine. Saying a movie is a "piece of shit" isn't going to progress any club-related discussion in any meaningful way.

As such; please be mindful of what you post. We're not looking for 100% praise or what-not, but be mindful of what and how you post.

Thank you.

• Brohoof 6

Duly noted. However I take a risk and continue somewhat in same topic. Hope I'm not stepping on any toes...

Disney is famous to make it's own adaptations from classic farytales like Beauty and the beast or Snow White and have also made some films which directly base on existing novels. What I can think of are Winnieh the Pooh from A.A.Milne, Mary Poppins, book serie writen by P.L. Travers and 101 Dalmatians, a novel by Dodie Smith. And then there's Peter Pan and Little Mermaid, of course. However, I think I have missed quite a few in this list.

So, does anyone know any other Disney movies that are inspired or based on books?

Just now, Divine plywood said:

Duly noted. However I take a risk and continue somewhat in same topic. Hope I'm not stepping on any toes...

Disney is famous to make it's own adaptations from classic farytales like Beauty and the beast or Snow White and have also made some films which directly base on existing novels. What I can think of are Winnieh the Pooh from A.A.Milne, Mary Poppins, book serie writen by P.L. Travers and 101 Dalmatians, a novel by Dodie Smith. And then there's Peter Pan and Little Mermaid, of course. However, I think I have missed quite a few in this list.

So, does anyone know any other Disney movies that are inspired or based on books?

The Hunchback is based on the book by Victor Hugo. I actually read the whole book in 7th grade, and it's quite long. I liked it though, but keep in mind it's vastly different from the movie. Tarzan was a book series by Edgar Rice Burroughs, and Treasure Planet was based Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson.

• Brohoof 1

(Will be busy flying home all today, so I'll make my daily post here right now)

Walt's Words of the Day:

"For every laugh, there should be a tear"

— Walt Disney's personal opinion on how tearjerking and heartwarming moments should be equally balanced

Here's the TV Tropes page link, but keep tissues ready.

• Brohoof 4

I love Disney stuff.  My favorite movie by far is B & the B.  (The animated.  Haven't seen ol' Hermoine's version yet.)  Now, even though B & the B is my favorite movie, my favorite princess is Ariel.  She's baddass.  She saved the prince's life for a change.  I'm also a big Frozen fan; I don't care how over-typed or pop culture it was/is.  Still love it.  I have a life-sized Elsa cardboard stand-up next to my computer desk, here.

Here's something awesome:

5a8560b845577_DisneyPrincessChess.thumb.jpg.d5d4b6ff474f56afd354eee011f9125e.jpg

And it's not even a "crossover"!  As any self-respecting Disney fan should know, these two movies take place in the same universe.  Rapunzel and Eugene attended Elsa's coronation.

That said, Disney is also far, far too powerful, imo.  No one company should any right to have control over as many franchises as they do.  Star Wars and Marvel?!  That's some bs.  One day they'll own the U.S. government.  They'll just buy it.  Why not?  One day they will own the entire world.  But whattya gonna do?  I'm not gonna boycott 'em.  I love their stuff too much.

Edited by Justin_Case001
  • Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, ShadOBabe said:

Just popping in to say, Aurora is Best Princess. :P

4e2a703441db1c96f8d7e9cc1edf768b--prince

*runs away screaming* COME GET ME HATERS!! XD

HOW DARE YOU! XD

Jokes aside, sleeping beauty is one of those films you should watch. A real classic. :icwudt:

• Brohoof 3

3 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

Just popping in to say, Aurora is Best Princess. :P

4e2a703441db1c96f8d7e9cc1edf768b--prince

*runs away screaming* COME GET ME HATERS!! XD

I don't hate Aurora. If anything, I felt sorry for her. As far as she knew, she was happy living a simple life in the forest.

But being told the life she lived was a lie and that she's a Princess who must married a Prince she doesn't know; it made her so sad, especially since she genuinely fell in love with possibly the only other human being besides her "Aunts". 

As Maleficent put it, it was a gracious whim that the man she met in the forest and the Prince she was betrothed to were one and the same.

My personal favorite scene was once she was given the crown and she started to cry, leading to the Fairies leaving her alone for alone for a few moments. Without any dialog, you can understand her sadness. Heck, I can still remember the big illustrated Chapter book, and the narration about that scene:

"The woman looking back at her was a complete stranger.  She was no longer Briar Rose; she was Princess Aurora.  her life would now be filled with grand parties and elegant balls. But why couldn't she share it with the one she loved?"

Remember that she told her animal friends that she felt like her aunts were still treating her like a child and she's obviously lonely. Her goal was not necessarily to be a Princess and marry a Prince; it was to find a human companion.

Know what I mean, @ShadOBabe?

• Brohoof 1