Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Not Asking for Trouble  

118 users have voted

1. 1. Like It or Not?

• Yaks: *eyes nearly pop out as Pinkie smashes this episode* ("I HATE IT!" >__<)
    • Prince Rutherford: *groan* Can I start over?" *walks away as his front legs drag behind him*
    • Pinkie: "I've seen better." ("Meh.")
    • Pinkie & Rutherford: "SNOWBALL FIGHT!" ("I like it!")
    • News colt: "Extra Extra! Read all about it! Prince Rutherford and Pinkie agreed to go on a date!" ("I LOVE IT!" <3)

(edited)

Nowhere near as hilarious as Party Pooped (which is the funniest episode of the show imo) but still pretty good, the yaks were and still are the weakest element of their episodes but I liked them a little better here, and even if their traditions and all that weren't interesting for me, Pinkie Pie's reactions and attempts to blend in made those scenes interesting enough just like everypony's reactions to how they were destroying everything in Party Pooped made them less annoying. 

It was fun and entertaining, but it could've been better and I didn't like so much how the moral was presented. It's nice to have an episode that isn't trying to stand out though, I feel like almost all of the episodes this season are trying a bit too hard and even if it has worked out most of the time it gets a little exhausting. 

Edited by Baykush

On 2017-05-21 at 7:41 PM, Phirun Natela said:

It was an okay episode, nothing special. The Yaks were dumb and annoying as usual, but Pinkie had some good moments. I was pretty pissed off though that they didn't include Spike at the end. I mean, come on. You have a fire breathing friend and you don't use him for a situation involving ICE / SNOW. Don't know if that's of the ponies recurring ignorance of logical things, or of the writers not seeing all the characters' potential. 

All that ice/snow would melt into water, which could flood Yakyakistan. 

I like this one and the fact that it gave context to yak culture but the lesson was a little odd. "Help Without asking?"? Most people I know would start smashing if I didn't ask first so don't think this moral applies to my friends to say the least. 

• Brohoof 3

A 'meh' Pinkie episode!? What kind of sorcery is this!? Common writers. You did that to Fluttershy and Applejack, and now you did that to Pinkie too.

Pinkie is lovely as usual, her antics are still funny but its too bad, even the funnies character in the mane 6 cant save the boringness from this ep. The scenes with Yaks culture are dragged out for too long, Party Pooped done it better, they should shorten the first act, focus more on Friendship espionage, make Rutherford go ape shit in the climax and somehow make thing worse and he finally need ponies help, the end, you get a very simple episode with better pace and overall enjoyable 22 minutes. Rutherford just accepted TOO QUICKLY, where the drama!? where the climax? Where the CONFRONTATION????. In my rants about Fluttershy Leans In, I mentioned the climax should reward you for endure the whole episode, i dont mind a slow, uneventful if they have A Rewarding Climax/Solution for watching this ep until the end. 

In A Royal Problem, i feel like they dont want to waste any minute of it. On the other hand, THIS EP wasted too much precious screentime for one scene. 

Common writers, dont waste too much time for one scene, use those precious screentime for more interesting one, make better climax, or just throw a fucking random ninja.

Thanks to Pinkie, this ep was saved from the abyss that i throw Fluttershy Leans In to, it shows how good Pinkie Pie character is and how much i adore her. I gave this ep a 5/10, it shows characters are important factor in the story too.

Bonus:

Another race is worthless without ponies. Every race beside Ponies is third-world country.

When i complain about an episode, i usually complain about the writting structure more than the story context. Every story can be the great one with good writting technique.

How to make a 6+ scores episode (in my opinion)? A good climax. How to make a 7+ no matter how shitty your story in the paper? Great Confrontations and satisfying closures, always works for me and IT NOT THAT HARD!!!

• Brohoof 3

Great episode! keeping with the trend of good episodes.

I was thinking it wasn't gonna be that great by the poll results but I really liked it.

Give it 9/10

So, we finally saw Yakyakistan in detail. I can’t say I’m disappointed, because I didn’t expect much. The only thing that bothered me at first was why there are so few yaks. But after seeing their stupid yak traditions I understood why not many of them survived.

Pinkie was the voice of reason in this episode. Out of all ponies… the Pink One. Worked for me. And I liked how she showed that a gifted cook can make any food look good, even snow. Also, the real star of the episode – Gummy. Yet again he proved that he is the perfect pet for Pink Pony.

All in all, this was a decent episode, and finally a Pinkie Pie episode that wasn’t centered on her organizing parties or being sad or overly creepy.
Hornbump!
1442363__safe_screencap_pinkie+pie_princ

Spoiler

P. S. Ponies = master race.

• Brohoof 4

A Pinkie Pie episode where she's not shrill and unbearable? Unthinkable! Who does May Chan think she is, writing a Pinkie Pie that has actual depth? Amy Keating Rogers?

I mean, Pinkie actually has an enormous range of emotions in this episode. Bemused. Grumpy. Relieved. Vexed... Even when she's incorrigible, she's whimsical and relentless. And even though the laws of nature are but putty in her hands, her thought process remains grounded in reality. I'm serious, it's been so long since Pinkie was written this way, I had forgotten it was possible. Put Chan on more scripts, please, especially ones with Pinkie.

I love how on the balloon ride with the Mane Six, Rainbow Dash yells at Pinkie that no one is playing her game. Payoff for being patient? Check.

• Brohoof 5

1 hour ago, StitchandMLPlover said:

I like this one and the fact that it gave context to yak culture but the lesson was a little odd. "Help Without asking?"? Most people I know would start smashing if I didn't ask first so don't think this moral applies to my friends to say the least. 

I think it was helping people who need it even with they resist. 

A application of this is calling the police if your friend is suicidal. Even if he says he doesn't want your help, a true friend would still do what he needs to to get him help, even if it risks their friendship. 

It isn't an easy decision, and it takes fortitude, but it's a very valid moral. If you are one of my friends, I can assure you ... I will move heaven and Earth to help you if it's serious ... even if it destroys that friendship. 

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

"NO! Yak horns too heavy for small pony head!" I can't tell if Rutherford was being thoughtful or insulting, but this line cracked me up!

I mean he's not wrong. 

Anyway this was pretty fun. It wasn't amazing or anything, because it's a really simple story with a moral which has been done to death, but I actually wasn't entirely sure where it was going. Made me feel silly when it always picked the most obvious route, but the funny jokes made up for it, and I liked seeing more of Yak culture. Rutherford is an entertaining enough character, and I like his sense of humour. Wouldn't think much of it in any other season but I enjoy this more than all but three season 7 episodes. The better Pinkie episode this season.

Full review at my blog.

• Brohoof 1

11 minutes ago, VG_Addict said:

I think this season has had a lot of meh episodes, like Not Asking For Trouble, Fluttershy Leans In, Honest Apple, and Forever Filly.

Hm I thought "Not Asking For Trouble" and "Forever Filly" were really good.

Fluttershy leans in and honest apple were kinda meh to me as well.

17 minutes ago, VG_Addict said:

I think this season has had a lot of meh episodes, like Not Asking For Trouble, Fluttershy Leans In, Honest Apple, and Forever Filly.

Honest Apple is really the only one I've disliked so far, I actually think Fluttershy Leans In and Not Asking For Trouble were great, and Forever Filly still had some great moments too

Just now, Whompy Whomperson said:

Honest Apple is really the only one I've disliked so far, I actually think Fluttershy Leans In and Not Asking For Trouble were great, and Forever Filly still had some great moments too

None of those episodes were what I'd call bad, just meh. 

• Brohoof 1

This episode is a mixed bag for me. I liked it OK but it also kind of hit home with me on a few things.

I am not a huge fan of the Yaks, and yet I have so much in common with them it is utterly ridiculous.

I really dislike that.

Oh well... either way the episode is pretty good overall. I might think on it more later and really write out my opinions.... for now I would say it is 6/10.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Stickman, The Legend said:

Hold up one bloody second. Rutherford dated Pinkie Pie?! So confused

It's just a cheeky poll option, something I've been doing since I began creating discussion threads for the early Canada releases.

Spoiler

Besides, I'm a major crack-shipper by heart, and all fandoms need more of those! ;)

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Dark Qiviut said:

It's just a cheeky poll option, something I've been doing since I began creating discussion threads for the early Canada releases.

Hide contents

Besides, I'm a major crack-shipper by heart, and all fandoms need more of those! ;)

That's... Confusing.

7 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Hide contents

Alas, their love can never be. As reigning Prince of Yakyakistan, Rutherford must produce an heir. He must marry a good strong yak cow, and produce a fine yak calf to rule after him. To wed a pony would be to doom his line; to doom his line would be to doom his people - uh, yaks - and to doom his yaks would be to doom his kingdom.

Someone go write a star-crossed lovers fanfic about this right now pls

• Brohoof 5