Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Not Asking for Trouble  

118 users have voted

1. 1. Like It or Not?

• Yaks: *eyes nearly pop out as Pinkie smashes this episode* ("I HATE IT!" >__<)
    • Prince Rutherford: *groan* Can I start over?" *walks away as his front legs drag behind him*
    • Pinkie: "I've seen better." ("Meh.")
    • Pinkie & Rutherford: "SNOWBALL FIGHT!" ("I like it!")
    • News colt: "Extra Extra! Read all about it! Prince Rutherford and Pinkie agreed to go on a date!" ("I LOVE IT!" <3)

5 minutes ago, Daring_Do said:

Alas, their love can never be. As reigning Prince of Yakyakistan, Rutherford must produce an heir. He must marry a good strong yak cow, and produce a fine yak calf to rule after him. To wed a pony would be to doom his line; to doom his line would be to doom his people - uh, yaks - and to doom his yaks would be to doom his kingdom.

Someone go write a star-crossed lovers fanfic about this right now pls

It looks like there is only around a dozen of them or so.... so I would suspect as a people (species?) they are doomed anyway.

Why anyone was every worried about going to war with them is beyond me.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
11 minutes ago, GrimGrimoire said:

It looks like there is only around a dozen of them or so.... so I would suspect as a people (species?) they are doomed anyway.

One underestimates the yaks at one's own peril. They are a fierce and proud warrior species, training from calfhood against the harshest of climes. A single adult yak is more than a match for an entire phalanx of Royal Guardsponies.

A dozen is all they need.

Edited by Daring_Do

while it was nice that Pinkie helped the yaks without them asking, I'm not sure how I feel about Pinkie helping the yaks without them asking. They're a prideful species, and going behind their back wasn't really cool, if Rutherford didn't want help. Although the other yaks seemed to want to ask for help, but didn't because Rutherford, and it wasn't cool to let them be miserable because of his pride, all in all, Pinkie still went behind his the ruling authority's back, after he said no. That's treason

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Daring_Do said:

Alas, their love can never be. As reigning Prince of Yakyakistan, Rutherford must produce an heir. He must marry a good strong yak cow, and produce a fine yak calf to rule after him. To wed a pony would be to doom his line; to doom his line would be to doom his people - uh, yaks - and to doom his yaks would be to doom his kingdom.

Someone go write a star-crossed lovers fanfic about this right now pls

1ph7r1.gif

Just had to say that. This is genuinely the most hilarious post I've read today. Thanks for the smile! 

• Brohoof 4

Over six and a half minutes in. So far, the biggest strength is the yaks' portrayal. While their culture was reduced to nothing but a bunch of gags to poke fun at their primitive nature in Party Pooped, this episode hasn't done that yet. Instead, their culture's treated a lot more seriously, and the gags surrounding it come from cartoony logic, lighthearted beat, and how we're laughing WITH them, not AT them.

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

while it was nice that Pinkie helped the yaks without them asking, I'm not sure how I feel about Pinkie helping the yaks without them asking.

Imagine you know a friend or family member who struggles with substance abuse or is suicidal. You now enter the toughest call you may ever have to make, and one of the greatest calls of friendship. Do you risk a friendship and trust, or hope for the best?

Sometimes you have to step in and try to save a person you care about from themselves. It isn't easy, and I have a hard time faulting a person who  doesn't know how to do it. It can kill a friendship, but at the end of the day this is something that I personally feel is part of my job description as a friend or family member. 

I would hope that I have a person out there who would do the same if I ever reached that level of self-destructiveness. 

Tough call is tough. 

• Brohoof 1

That ending confused me. With the way it was written, it can be interpreted in one of two ways.

1. Prince Rutherford was too stubborn to agree to help

Or:

2. Prince Rutherford knew that Pinkie was going to go to Ponyville and help thaw the snow.

The way the moral's written confuses me, too. Glim Glam in the discussion thread suggests that the moral is that friends give others help even if they're too proud to help, but it feels like it was trying to tell a different moral about how to get around cultural differences to bridge friendships. It's very ambiguous, like they tried to teach two lessons simultaneously initially before changing their mind. I'm not sure if that's the case, but that's what it feels like.

That said, there are some pluses. The yaks are portrayed in a much more sympathetic and intelligent light, and their culture isn't treated as a gag this time. While Rutherford's stubbornness looks dumb from the outside, look at it in his shoes. He was able to withstand really terrible weather conditions in the past and is really able to put a brave face when it comes to situs like this one.

But Pinkie Pie has a very solid reason to go about the way she did, too. She's very smart, competent and sensitive of what goes on around her. The yak calves are clearly hungry and unprepared for the next few days, weeks, and months. So for her to stubbornly attempt to convince Rutherford to ask for help makes sense.

Despite some problems, this was an improvement over the last three episodes.

• Brohoof 4

I didn't watch the episode yet, but I have my reservations about it. I didn't like the Yaks in their original episode. I was actually wishing Twilight would sever diplomatic ties with them for being such big nasty jerks.

I have to wonder why AJ wasn't the one who helped Rutherford in this episode. Seeing as how it's basically "Applebuck Season" just with yaks, and all. AJ is pretty stubborn...or....was....having her teach Prince Rutherford could've been a better way to go.

So watching this episode was a little hard, what with stream lags and all... But that's beside the point. I hope I didn't miss any vital info.

One thing I can't help but think about is the yaks' help agreement. Like earlier in the episode they said they don't ask for help, and later on they thank the ponies for help rather than rush them out and stuff since they didn't ask for it. Nothing wrong here, except... When Pinkie Pie told the story about the goats and the magic cows/bovines, the yak prince said the "magic bovines" should stay out of the goats' business, heavily implying that the yaks never wanted any help in the first place rather than waiting for help they didn't ask for. Unless I'm interpreting this wrong, I think this is a bit of a plot hole...

• Brohoof 1

Prince Rutherford's stubborness reminds me a little about Applejack's own stubborn portrayal in "Applebuck Season". Similar theme overall yet it was still a good episode for developing the Yaks as a cultural and historical aspect within the show. 

I mainly enjoyed this episode because it finally made Pinkie Pie into a good character again. I felt she'd been relegated to just being a moron, but I feel this episode legitimately gave her time to shine again. The moral of the story seems a bit odd, but I still think it's a pretty good one. IRL, many people don't want to ask for help, but odds are they'd still appreciate it.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I kinda liked the episode (Pinkie Pie was adorable, and the yaks were funny), but I was bothered by the racist subtext. I'm surprised no one else seemed to pick up on it, because people were complaining so much about Over the Barrel back in the day, but in terms of racism and whitewashing colonialism this was far worst. Generally I like how they portrayed their culture, but there is a few little things that are problematic, especially the general premise for the episode. I hope we see more of the yaks in the future so their relationship with the ponies is less one-sided. 

On 5/21/2017 at 1:25 PM, ph00tbag said:

A Pinkie Pie episode where she's not shrill and unbearable? Unthinkable! Who does May Chan think she is, writing a Pinkie Pie that has actual depth? Amy Keating Rogers?

I mean, Pinkie actually has an enormous range of emotions in this episode. Bemused. Grumpy. Relieved. Vexed... Even when she's incorrigible, she's whimsical and relentless. And even though the laws of nature are but putty in her hands, her thought process remains grounded in reality. I'm serious, it's been so long since Pinkie was written this way, I had forgotten it was possible. Put Chan on more scripts, please, especially ones with Pinkie.

I love how on the balloon ride with the Mane Six, Rainbow Dash yells at Pinkie that no one is playing her game. Payoff for being patient? Check.

How did I miss that part with the balloon ride?

On 5/21/2017 at 1:43 PM, Jeric said:

I think it was helping people who need it even with they resist. 

A application of this is calling the police if your friend is suicidal. Even if he says he doesn't want your help, a true friend would still do what he needs to to get him help, even if it risks their friendship. 

It isn't an easy decision, and it takes fortitude, but it's a very valid moral. If you are one of my friends, I can assure you ... I will move heaven and Earth to help you if it's serious ... even if it destroys that friendship. 

I think the subtlety which is being lost on people is the difference between not helping who neither want nor need it, and helping people who don't want it, but still need it. 

On 5/21/2017 at 6:54 PM, Daring_Do said:

One underestimates the yaks at one's own peril. They are a fierce and proud warrior species, training from calfhood against the harshest of climes. A single adult yak is more than a match for an entire phalanx of Royal Guardsponies.

A dozen is all they need.

But unicorns have magic, and we all know that at least in the hands of certain unicorns magic is OP. 

On 5/22/2017 at 0:16 PM, Nightmare Muffin said:

I have to wonder why AJ wasn't the one who helped Rutherford in this episode. Seeing as how it's basically "Applebuck Season" just with yaks, and all. AJ is pretty stubborn...or....was....having her teach Prince Rutherford could've been a better way to go.

Because Pinkie was the one who was available because she's the one who wants to hang out with the yaks. Practical significance needs to be considered as well as thematic significance when drafting a plot. 

Edited by Ganondox
  • Brohoof 1

On May 21, 2017 at 3:43 PM, Jeric said:

I think it was helping people who need it even with they resist. 

A application of this is calling the police if your friend is suicidal. Even if he says he doesn't want your help, a true friend would still do what he needs to to get him help, even if it risks their friendship. 

It isn't an easy decision, and it takes fortitude, but it's a very valid moral. If you are one of my friends, I can assure you ... I will move heaven and Earth to help you if it's serious ... even if it destroys that friendship. 

I didn't think of the lesson that way at first but your absolutely right! Excellent point! Indeed there are times when you need to help without asking when it has to do with safety! Now this episode makes a lot more sense!

• Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, StitchandMLPlover said:

I didn't think of the lesson that way at first but your absolutely right! Excellent point! Indeed there are times when you need to help without asking when it has to do with safety! Now this episode makes a lot more sense!

A lot of people were scratching their heads a little with the moral at first (even Dr. Wolf). It was made a tad ambiguous and open to interpretation, but that is absolutely what I took out of it. Part of me likes the ambiguity in a way. It makes for an interesting discussion point. 

• Brohoof 1

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 8:44 PM, GrimGrimoire said:

The ponies bought into their proud propaganda lol.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 11:36 PM, Jeric said:

A lot of people were scratching their heads a little with the moral at first (even Dr. Wolf). It was made a tad ambiguous and open to interpretation, but that is absolutely what I took out of it. Part of me likes the ambiguity in a way. It makes for an interesting discussion point. 

Why would people be confused over the moral? But if a youtuber is confused, well, I think they are just people too, they are prone to making mistakes, and because they have to churn out content may make even more than others due to requiring a script in a timely manner. Because they have multiple processes for the process of the video competing for their attention, they have less time to put into actual analysis, so are more likely going to over-look something, and come to a more standard conclusion if I had to guess. And I guess the average viewer might not be very thoughtful on the topic having other interests to put their minds to. But, it was Pinkie Pie's whole deal for the second half of the story, if people missed it I think they were getting too stunned from Pinkie's or the Yak's 'randomness' and getting distracted to pay attention to motivations.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 6:40 PM, StitchandMLPlover said:

I guess this is evidence ppl can get confused. xD I'm silly sometimes lol.

• Brohoof 1

I must say that Pinkie Pie was unbelievably cute in this episode! I found myself grinning at her antics quite often.

I'm not particularly fond of the yaks. The starving calves being afraid to speak up, and yet still unquestioningly following their leader along with the adult yaks (even unto death, which seemed to be one very possible outcome had the ponies not intervened to allow them access to food and other essentials) rubbed me the wrong way.

I don't mean to make a big deal out of this, but I'd like to see some other cultures/races in this series that aren't presented as primitive, stubborn, or ignorant. So far the yaks and the buffalo have been shown that way, and while I like Zecora very,very much, I wonder if that's the way zebras as a whole would be presented (Zecora is practically a witch doctor, lmao).

Not my favorite ep, but very watchable. I feel the lesson could've be taken a couple of different ways, but I prefer to think of it as more of a "do the right thing, even if it risks your friendship" type deal. 

• Brohoof 1

I like the episode - Pinkie Pie is always fun to see when she's in her element, we got more characterization from the Yaks, but like other people mentioned, the moral confused the hell out of me. I can understand the yaks being too proud to ask for help, and since they live in harsh conditions and have doubtlessly endured their share of hardships, I can see how Rutheford would actually believe {and maybe even endure, but it would still be a risk} the catastrophe. But why would he be thanking Pinkie for helping in the end? I'd understand if he'd pretend {not} to mind, but he seemed pretty sincere, which means that he wanted the help in the first place. So, was the moral that Pinkie should have just rounded up the ponies and helped out without asking for permission? Is the moral that Pinkie accidentally Did Some Weird Cultural Thing?

Like I said, confused.

That said, I consider the phrase "a pony's fartbeat" to be canon now.

Good morning, everypony!  Well, I have absolutely no expectations for this episode, but hopefully it proves splendid and entertaining, and a better outing for Pinkie Pie than she had in her last episode. :pinkie:

Lol, that opening was pretty funny. ^_^  I like to think that that's just Pinkie's idea of being subtle. 

Oh goodness me, this is funny so far.  The yaks are thus far far less annoying than last time they showed up (though of course that could change now that the problem itself has arisen, but let's hope it doesn't).  Those festival scenes, however, were hilarious! :D

Wow, Pinkie should really be the voice of reason more often, as weird as that may sound...

In any other setting, I predict the other Yaks wouldn't wait long before overthrowing Rutherford for being a stubborn jerk, since he's thinking about himself rather than his people. 

My Little Bovine, My Little Bovine...

• Brohoof 2

So yaks don't ask for help and expect others to do it without asking? Given the situation, that was kinda dangerous.

I liked the episode otherwise, though. I enjoyed Pinkie in this episode as well as the yaks (even with how their king was acting).

an alright episode...

until twilight FINALLY showed off her earth pony powers by making crops grow faster!

woooooo!  I've been waiting so long!

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Did anyone else spontaneously break out into "Winter Wrap-Up" when the Mane 6 were clearing all the snow and fixing the plants? I sure did. XD

I was considering giving this episode a "meh" rating during the first half, but the second half was a lot of fun, so in the end I liked it. Plus it was great to see the Mane 6 as an ensemble again for the first time in a while.

I especially enjoyed the art style during the goat and bovine fable. I like it when the show lets the artists be creative.

You know who else could have gotten rid of all that snow in a big hurry? Ember instructing a bunch of dragons to use their fire. XD Guess there's some bad history between them, though.... Plus the dragons tend to be as indelicate as the yaks, they probably would have burned down the village along with melting the snow. <_<

Edited by Truffles
Addtl. thoughts
  • Brohoof 1