Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are they setting Starlight Glimmer Up to be the 5th Princess

bwrosas

5-21-2017,

I need to say this. Even though I keep tabs on the show through the fanbase via Facebook, Twitter and Message Boards, and clips via YouTube, I have to say that what's going on with Starlight Glimmer as of late (more recently with "Royal Problems") is nothing more than test's, that she has to go through, simliar to what Twlight did in the first 3 seasons.

The reason I say this, is when you look back at season 6, especailly the finale, and then throughout this season, there is something there that's telling me that she is going through the same trails and tribulations that Twlight did, before she (Twlight) became the Princess of Friendship. So I wonder and ask "Is the goal out of all this to make Starlight Glimmer, the 5th Princess?"

But Princess of what, Redempation? Makes me wonder, and I'm sure I'm not the only one in the fandom that wonders this. But what do you guys think?

If Starlight were to be a princess, she'd be the 6th princess! :P 

And hey, who knows? If that's what she's destined to be, I'm down with that! But that would be a little too obvious, even for a kid's show. What if she's destined to be a princess but she doesn't want to? I got the feeling that might happen! Even if her friends think she would be a good princess, Starlight herself might not think so.

• Brohoof 2

I sure hope not, that would be stupid. Not only is Starlight already too OP as it is, but everyone knows the only pony left who is magnificent enough to be worthy of getting the "Red Bull" treatment:

891448__suggestive_artist-colon-lumineko

• Brohoof 3

Most likey, yeah. Twilight became a princess as a student to Celestia and Starlight is a student under Twilight which seems to go on the same path. Starlight also apparently already knows everything about magic, as shown by her being extremely overpowered, so all that's left is the friendship stuff and boom, princess, I guess. I can't think of anything else they would be building her up for. If they would make her less OP I could maybe get behind the idea.

They better not.

This season so far has been doing a decent job at making me kinda like Starlight, and even then I still don't believe she has done anything to deserve becoming an alicorn.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

They shouldn't. It didn't work very well with twilight to be honest. It kinda ended her story arch and, season 4 was as far as they could push her story arch by creating the problem of what she is supposed to do as princess. 

They should have waited for her becoming princess to be the end of the show tbh. 

That way twilight's story arch could have went on much longer

Edited by Firedog
  • Brohoof 3

Yeah no I'd rather let Starlight become this generations Starswirl like how most of the fanbase wants. Instead of another princess. Or in Dragon Ball Super terms I'd rather let Starlight Glimmer be current Gohan in Super who doesn't want to rely on Super Saiyan/alicorn and instead become a good character in base/unicorn.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)
On 5/21/2017 at 8:21 PM, Nohate said:

Or in Dragon Ball Super terms I'd rather let Starlight Glimmer be current Gohan in Super who doesn't want to rely on Super Saiyan/alicorn and instead become a good character in base/unicorn.

Yeah - she doesn't need to become a Princess, Alicorn, etc.

She's just fine as a Unicorn, and Princess/Alicorn Starlight would only give her detractors over 9,000 more rounds of ammo.

Edited by Anti-Villain
  • Brohoof 1

I hope not. Look what happened to Twilight, she went from being an interesting normal unicorn who lived a life similar to other ponies and didn't think she was better than anypony else but after she became an Alicorn, she turned into just like her mentor, a incompetent ruler who only thinks of herself and doesn't care about what other ponies think and does not know how to save Equestria without all of her 5 friends around her. That was why I hated Twilight's Kingdom and why none of her episodes were great after Bats! I knew that season 5 wasn't going to be much better because they were just going to do stuff that they were used to rather than try out something different like what they are doing with Starlight. It's also why she is last on my list of favourite ponies.

I rather have Starlight live her life without being promoted to an Alicorn because she's saving the show from extinction at this point.  

• Brohoof 2

It's evident that Starlight's path is setting her on a larger scale. Not only of career, but also the spotlight. I'm kinda suspecting she'll be an alicorn sooner or later, though I'd prefer if the rest of the mane6 becoe alicorns first :dash: 

Ok. I joke about them doing this all the time, but I honestly don't think that's what her destiny is, or what the writers have intended for Glim Glam. I really like how she has come along this season, but Equestria has enough Princesses. 

Though Trixie probably sees her as a Princess of her world. 

Dear God, I'd rather advocate Applejack as a Princess and Applejack would NEVER accept it. Disregarding the episode, SPIKE would make for a much better Princess. Seasons 5 and 6 barely handled Twilight's ceremonial duties with much significance before Flurry Heart was shoehorned. Also if Princess Starlight Glimmer became a thing, Equestria's ruling class will have basically transformed from a diarchy (which it is how it's supposed to be) to an oligarchy where Cadance, Flurry Heart and Starlight would all be related to Twilight which would be unsettling in terms of power.

1 hour ago, ShadowPhoenix said:

Dear God, I'd rather advocate Applejack as a Princess and Applejack would NEVER accept it. Disregarding the episode, SPIKE would make for a much better Princess. Seasons 5 and 6 barely handled Twilight's ceremonial duties with much significance before Flurry Heart was shoehorned. Also if Princess Starlight Glimmer became a thing, Equestria's ruling class will have basically transformed from a diarchy (which it is how it's supposed to be) to an oligarchy where Cadance, Flurry Heart and Starlight would all be related to Twilight which would be unsettling in terms of power.

all the princesses are already related to Twilight- since Cadance is both Flurry's mom and the adopted neice of Celestia and Luna, that would make the royal sisters also related to Twilight in some way.

Starlight on the other hoof is neither marriage nor adopt-related, so even if she becomes a princess (dear god I hope not, we already have 5 princesses), she wouldn't be related to Twilight in any way

• Brohoof 1

36 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

all the princesses are already related to Twilight- since Cadance is both Flurry's mom and the adopted neice of Celestia and Luna, that would make the royal sisters also related to Twilight in some way.

I believe technically when it comes to marriage and in-law status, it's only the bride that becomes an in-law to the groom's family and the groom becomes an in-law to the bride's family. Members of the bride and groom's families, like the sister of the groom, is not an in-law to the aunt of the bride.

4 hours ago, Marimo said:

I believe technically when it comes to marriage and in-law status, it's only the bride that becomes an in-law to the groom's family and the groom becomes an in-law to the bride's family. Members of the bride and groom's families, like the sister of the groom, is not an in-law to the aunt of the bride.

Yeah, take for instance my sisters husband's mother. Just because they are married doesn't make her my in-law. Maybe other cultures look at it differently, but that the person in my example is not my mother-in-law. 

On 5/21/2017 at 6:47 PM, AJFan89 said:

I hope not. Look what happened to Twilight, she went from being an interesting normal unicorn who lived a life similar to other ponies and didn't think she was better than anypony else but after she became an Alicorn, she turned into just like her mentor, a incompetent ruler who only thinks of herself and doesn't care about what other ponies think and does not know how to save Equestria without all of her 5 friends around her. That was why I hated Twilight's Kingdom and why none of her episodes were great after Bats! I knew that season 5 wasn't going to be much better because they were just going to do stuff that they were used to rather than try out something different like what they are doing with Starlight. It's also why she is last on my list of favourite ponies.

I rather have Starlight live her life without being promoted to an Alicorn because she's saving the show from extinction at this point.  

That depends on whether or not you think the show is dying.

8 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

That depends on whether or not you think the show is dying.

If the show was sure that the show was doing well, they would've kept the original cast but since she's one of the main characters now, I guess they didn't have much confidence on just doing the same thing every season.

Just now, AJFan89 said:

If the show was sure that the show was doing well, they would've kept the original cast but since she's one of the main characters now, I guess they didn't have much confidence on just doing the same thing every season.

If you really felt that way, you should have changed your username to something Starlight-related.