Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are they setting Starlight Glimmer Up to be the 5th Princess

bwrosas

1 minute ago, heavens-champion said:

If you really felt that way, you should have changed your username to something Starlight-related.

I still love AJ, I still don't like Twilight, I felt that her actions was running the show to the ground.

• Brohoof 1

While anything could happen due to Hasbro's brand manager popping in and making demands, I don't think this will. Mainly because Starlight is occupying the narrative 'space' that Twilight left behind when she got alicoronated. If they bump Starlight up they will have recreated the same narrative problem the writers have with alicorn Twilight that required them to bring Starlight into the main cast group in the first place, with the additional issue of an even more overcrowded princess role. They'd need to bring in *another* Twilight/Starlight/Sunset-style character that is sufficiently different from the past ones to be fresh while still maintaining the current dynamics. Not easy.

But again, anything can happen when Hasbro gets a bee in their bonnet, so who knows.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Derpy hooves is the next princess the princess of muffins 

It is a neat idea but probably won't happen  also #derpyhoovesisbestpony

Edited by SlimegamingTV

I remember this speculation beginning as soon as Starlight became Twilight's student. I don't have a problem with it, as long as Starlight gets several seasons of development beforehand. Don't rush her. Twilight got 3 seasons (or more like 2 and a half...), plus many years as Celestia's pupil in Canterlot. Starlight shows incredible promise with magic, but I think she needs to work on the whole friendship thing by continuing to build her own circle of friends outside of the Mane 6.

Dear Lord I hope not. It would really diminish the impact of Twilight becoming an alicorn. Heck, not only the impact, but also Twilight's character overall. If another chracter ends up getting the exact same thing it makes Twilight a lot less special.

Hopefully the writers realize that and don't do something foolish,

(edited)

Bad idea, and not just because she's isn't ready. To promote her into an alicorn would repeat what happened to Twilight. Recycling episodes is one thing, but recycling arcs is a completely different ballgame. To do that will cause one of two problems: show that DHX may be running out of ideas, or Hasbro's lust to increase the princess toyline. Either way, you'll cheapen what Twilight had to accomplish. Starlight became a mane cast member partly to fill in that void created once Twilight ascended. She'd work much better as someone like a mage or witch: a unicorn capable of using, harnessing, and managing even the strongest of magics while eventually learning to be self-confident.

On 5/21/2017 at 8:47 PM, AJFan89 said:

why none of her episodes were great after Bats!

Twilight's characterization has been inconsistent in quality since MMC, but she's had at least four great episodes since: Testing Testing 1, 2, 3 (with Dash), Amending Fences, Cutie Re-Mark, and A Flurry of Emotions.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 4

14 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Bad idea, and not just because she's isn't ready. To promote her into an alicorn would repeat what happened to Twilight. Recycling episodes is one thing, but recycling arcs is a completely different ballgame. To do that will cause one of two problems: show that DHX may be running out of ideas, or Hasbro's lust to increase the princess toyline. Either way, you'll cheapen what Twilight had to accomplish. Starlight became a mane cast member partly to fill in that void created once Twilight ascended. She'd work much better as someone like a mage or witch: a unicorn capable of using, harnessing, and managing even the strongest of magics while eventually learning to be self-confident.

Twilight's characterization has been inconsistent in quality since MMC, but she's had at least four great episodes since: Testing Testing 1, 2, 3 (with Dash), Amending Fences, Cutie Re-Mark, and A Flurry of Emotions.

I for one am hoping she gets more focus eventually so people can stop saying she's a minor character.

Just now, heavens-champion said:

I for one am hoping she gets more focus eventually so people can stop saying she's a minor character.

This season, she appears much more frequently, including a silent background shot in Leans In. Even when the episode doesn't do so well, she's the biggest strength. This is what should happen to her: make her a part of the crew, and she feels like a part of the community.

IIRC, she's been said by the people in power that she's less main (ala the CMCs) compared to the ReMane Seven. Given her important roles in the premieres, finales, and many other episodes, I believe their actions more so than their words.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Dark Qiviut said:

This season, she appears much more frequently, including a silent background shot in Leans In. Even when the episode doesn't do so well, she's the biggest strength. This is what should happen to her: make her a part of the crew, and she feels like a part of the community.

IIRC, she's been said by the people in power that she's less main (ala the CMCs) compared to the ReMane Seven. Given her important roles in the premieres, finales, and many other episodes, I believe their actions more so than their words.

Well, you know what they say: Actions speak louder than words.

• Brohoof 1

If Starlight were to be a princess, she'd be the 6th princess!  

I don't follow EQ girls, so I'm not sure if Sunset Shimmer being an alicorn is canon or not. If so, wouldn't that make Starlight the 7th princess?

17 hours ago, sweetolebob18 said:

I don't follow EQ girls, so I'm not sure if Sunset Shimmer being an alicorn is canon or not. If so, wouldn't that make Starlight the 7th princess?

I think they were talking about Princess Flurry Heart when they said Starlight would be the sixth princess.

(edited)

I feel, as someone else said, that having Starlight become a princess would cheapen the "status." Twilight becoming one through magic was met with a lot of resistance, Flurry being born as one was met with even more, if Starlight becomes one - and who knows, she very well might - I believe people will begin to figure they may as well throw Big Mac into the mix. Hmm. Now that I've typed it, it actually would be cool to see a Stallion alicorn, lol. Anyway, I digress.

For me, having more and more alicorns will be like how Pokemon keeps making more and more new legendaries :3 the first couple are cool and OP as heck, then the ones after it are... still cool, but not as mind boggling as the original ones introduced.

Edited by Meeps
MOAR.

• 1 month later...

I think that Twilight's ascension was Celestia's plan from the beginning, she was waiting for a young powerful unicorn to mentor into princesshood and Twilight was the one who met her expectations.

Starlight, on the other hand, was an incredibly powerful unicorn who became a menace to Equestria by being lonely and fearful, Twilight's plan for her was to help her out of that misguided path so she could no longer be a menace but a positive influence to Equestria (same reason she was not punished). I don't believe that princesshood is her path at all.

Now aside from my opinion about the show, I agree with everyone who's saying that it could happen by Hasbro giving the order so they can sell new alicorns. 

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Whompy Whomperson said:

While we're at it, Starlight should be the next Prime as well

Given how most primes act, that's not that unlikely :P

sentinel.transformers.jpg

On 5/26/2017 at 0:58 AM, Unlikeable Pony said:

First decree: All strawberry lovers are to be burned at the stake.
The apple-inquisition begins.

since this has been bumped,  just had a random urge to point something out about AJ as a princess: Honestly, S1-S4 AJ would be a pretty good leader; she was smart, full of common sense, and a very good down to earth pony who acted like Twilight's number 2. She'd be a very good person to delegate more day to day stuff to to handle running.

Of course, since S5+ she's been turned into a blithering moron (AJ's day off and honest apple), so not so much anymore though...
Damn, I feel bad for AJ these past 3 seasons.

3 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

I'm pretty sure that there'll be no alicorn ascension this season as 

Hide contents

The legendary ponies from Legends of Magic comics will become important 

>Implying they won't be set up as the catalyst for alicornization :P

Jokes aside, I'm kind of wonder if we'll get something dealing with meadowbrook's 8 magical objects. If they'd done "meadowbrook's SIX magical objects" I'd 100% flat out expect they'd explain those objects as having all belonged to 1 of the 6 ponies from the comics, but 8 doesn't really fit very well (unless you count in spike and starlight, and the EQG special makes me HOPE she's sitting this one out)

On that note, they seemed to have done a MASSIVE retcon to meadowbrook given how she's now an EARTH pony; I guess they're going to try and jedi-truth the "eastern unicorns" thing not being HER but referring to mistmane by association or something.

large.jpeg

(edited)

I don't think so, she is kinda meant to rebalance out the dynamic of the main cast

2 unicorns, 2 earth ponies, 2 pegasi, 1 alicorn.

1 powerful unicorn, 1 average unicorn

1 crazy earth pony, 1 laid back Earth pony

1 timid pegasi, 1 brash pegasi

And Twilight, acting like a semi combination of everything. Coupled with being a huge dork

Edited by ryanmahaffe
  • Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

>Implying they won't be set up as the catalyst for alicornization :P

Jokes aside, I'm kind of wonder if we'll get something dealing with meadowbrook's 8 magical objects. If they'd done "meadowbrook's SIX magical objects" I'd 100% flat out expect they'd explain those objects as having all belonged to 1 of the 6 ponies from the comics, but 8 doesn't really fit very well (unless you count in spike and starlight, and the EQG special makes me HOPE she's sitting this one out)

On that note, they seemed to have done a MASSIVE retcon to meadowbrook given how she's now an EARTH pony; I guess they're going to try and jedi-truth the "eastern unicorns" thing not being HER but referring to mistmane by association or something.

large.jpeg

Makes sense. After all, Starwirl was indirectly responsible for Twi's final test before being alicornified.

Oh, about Meadowbrook being mentioned in the Cutie Map two parter, funny how I easily forget pony names unless I actually see them, plus that being so long ago :lol: . Well, it doesn't help  with the "eastern unicorn" business :dash: . I guess there will be more retcons, like the six objects being reduced to two, unless the baddie will use two of them :huh:, or Starlight will use the seventh. You know? Verifying Meadowbrook was the pony mentioned, I've also found out (or rather, remembered :dash: ) that her name was originally going to be used for Flutters. That, and the fact that Flutters will seek a cure for a rare disease in an upcoming episode, like Meadowbrook did that made her legend; PLUS the same eye-shape. 

Yeah, probably the easter unicorn stuff was retconed with Mistmane, as her evidently asian dragon spell in an ancient China setting. Damn, I'm going bonkers to watch the rest of the season