Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How can i draw ponies good

Madnie

depends what you mean by tools.

digital? traditional?

with digital I say get PaintTool Sai to play with, then maybe try out the free month trials of Photoshop (then save to buy it later on if you enjoy it). 

Traditional, grab a pencil, some paper and just draw. Work on getting the style and ponies right before switching up to pens and markers - there's no undo button with pens. 

• Brohoof 1

Hello @Madnie

Taking into account that you're asking for advice of a technical nature, this post shall be relocated into Photo Finish's Magics.

Have a lovely day.

There's no answer other than practice to be honest. Try using reference pictures (Don't trace or use bases) to help your art look better. If you do this enough, drawing the ponies by yourself will come easier to you until the ponies can look good. That's how it went for me, considering I've drawn a couple of decent pictures before. Do credit the artist of your reference picture though.

Be yourself when expressing yourself. You'll realize that every stroke tells something about you.

Sometimes a drawing made by a child is more soulful than that of an artist which has "perfected" him/herself. Don't fear imperfection, for there it resides humanity.

As far as tools go, I can recommend FireAlpaca, but only if you have a tablet. Otherwise, for traditional, regular #2 pencils are fine for sketches if you draw lightly. For inking get fine-tipped artist pens. As for coloring, you can use prisma color pencils (easy to control, but pricy) or water color (slightly difficult to control, but cheap).

For drawing the characters right, it's important to know some fundamentals. Visualise basic shapes to create a "skeleton" of sorts to plan out the pose. Use lines, curved or otherwise, to plan out things such as where your character's eye level will be. Don't forget to take proportions into account, a simple way to do this is by using a ruler or your fingers to measure the head, then comparing the size of the other parts of the body in relation to the head.

One last important thing I can mention is to NOT RUSH. Like in writing, drawings often have to go through drafts before they're perfect. Don't forget to take eye breaks, looking at your piece with fresh eyes will help you catch things you didn't while drawing. Don't be afraid to seek outside eyes to point out things you may miss, yourself.

I hope this was helpful.

• 9 months later...