Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

i wish certain people would quit bad mouthing the movie

TwilightSparkleAndAJ

7 hours ago, Halberd said:

Hasbro isn't distributing this. Lionsgate is. Also, Transformers has Paramount---a much bigger studio---backing the property.

And with the slouching crawl of promotion Lionsgate had for Power Rangers, there's no reason to suspect this round won't be any different.

Lionsgate is not in charge of the marketing. Hasbro is.

(edited)
15 hours ago, TheGOAT said:

Then Hasbro could be taking a big gamble depending on how much money they spend for the marketing (probably not likely though, since they're such a giant in the toy industry).

I hope the toy sales make up the difference.

Edited by Halberd

I think it's too soon to be saying whether or not it'll be good or bad. 

But I can say that I'll be looking forward to seeing sea ponies! I've been wanting them so bad. There are some wonderful fan fictions that have been hyping me up over seeing them in the show. LIke, The one that got away by Georg. Sweet Celestia! It reads like a classic children's book. The words fill you with the sort of wonder like The wind in the willows. But with original pony characters.

But this isn't about good fan fiction, hehe. :blush:

I hope the sea ponies in this movie will add lots of interesting concepts for fic writers to work even more magic within the future. At the end of the day that's all I really care about. LOL

17 hours ago, TheGOAT said:

Ok. I'm confused. Is this topic about expectations of the quality of the film as an entertaining adventure, it's profitability, or intellectual property rights ... because I feel like the topic is video game level with disappearing platform blocks right now. If I jump on one I may find I fall to another. 

Anyway. It's wise to not go in expecting a masterpiece on animation, but merely to be entertained for 80 minutes. Those that expect Disney or Pixar caliber storytelling are deluding themselves. Pony is great, but let's be real here. That isn't badmouthing anything. Good is exactly what it says, I expect it to be good. Not expecting it to be a masterpiece is NOT badmouthing something. It's this idiotic idea that makes people think an 8/10 is a failure when it isn't. 

What is the point of comparing box office receipts? Are people worried that low box office will result in the show getting cancelled? Sing and Boss Baby are horrible examples for several reasons. One of them is freaking huge! Pony is gonna make so much more in merch than Box Office with a boost around Christmas. 

As far as the marketing. I have zero confidence in their ability to market this movie the way Sing and others were. None. It most certainly isn't getting the Disney treatment.

Finally, this isn't directed at non US members. Pirating the film is bad, and I don't care what your justification is, you should feel bad if you do it. Seriously, buy a ticket or wait until it comes out on streaming, Blu-ray, digital, or DVD. 

Have I hit everything? I'm not going to fall in a lava pit? Good. I feel like I just addressed 50% of every thread in this area of the site. 

The movie should be fun and it will make Hasbro much bits. That should be plenty fine for people. 

• Brohoof 2

I just don't understand how you can make an opinion, while you haven't seen it yet. Sure, there are people with different opinions. My advice: Just ignore them. :orly:

Honestly I'm not sure why people are guaranteeing a box office flop. 

Sing and Boss Baby didn't succeed because of marketing, but because of timing and families needing a kids film to see regardless. Also I don't know why you're thinking Hasbro is dirt cheap and can't market this correctly. Stop using Disney as a benchmark. They've made numerous flops even with their so called "great" marketing.

And I know people are using the Blade Runner 2049 argument but the fact that Alien Covenant, a more well known franchise, didn't do that well at the box office, which shows tha R-rated films aren't as profitable as you think unless it's X-Men.

On 5/25/2017 at 6:02 AM, TheGOAT said:

Honestly I'm not sure why people are guaranteeing a box office flop. 

Sing and Boss Baby didn't succeed because of marketing, but because of timing and families needing a kids film to see regardless. Also I don't know why you're thinking Hasbro is dirt cheap and can't market this correctly. Stop using Disney as a benchmark. They've made numerous flops even with their so called "great" marketing.

And I know people are using the Blade Runner 2049 argument but the fact that Alien Covenant, a more well known franchise, didn't do that well at the box office, which shows tha R-rated films aren't as profitable as you think unless it's X-Men.

Looking back on previous statements I've made, I suspect that Blade Runner 2049 is more likely to flop now than I thought back in April or early May. And don't remind me of Alien: Covenant---as a long time fan of that franchise, I felt like I was slapped with a "sucker" label when I left the theater. It had a lot to do with the film's reception, which is that it felt more like a slasher film than a smart science fiction horror epic, which it was marketed as.

Anyway, I don't expect the film to flop outright, but I do expect a gross of less than $70 million. Depending on the film's budget (which really shouldn't be that much), that could be a good or bad thing. A key variable in play is that October is a pretty slow month (but not nearly as slow as September). It's where a lot of studios put their low budget horror movies and prestige films; Gravity comes to mind. The only advantage that it has in October is that the movie will be the only family-friendly genre film in that month this year. A downside to this is that the daily totals will suffer because regardless of how many bronies are in the fandom, this is still going to be aimed at children. And as we've all known since we were kids, the heat of the school season is in the Fall.

Anything could happen, but I'm sticking to the cautious side and saying that it will make a modest profit for Hasbro at best.

(edited)
6 hours ago, Halberd said:

Looking back on previous statements I've made, I suspect that Blade Runner 2049 is more likely to flop now than I thought back in April or early May. And don't remind me of Alien: Covenant---as a long time fan of that franchise, I felt like I was slapped with a "sucker" label when I left the theater. It had a lot to do with the film's reception, which is that it felt more like a slasher film than a smart science fiction horror epic, which it was marketed as.

Anyway, I don't expect the film to flop outright, but I do expect a gross of less than $70 million. Depending on the film's budget (which really shouldn't be that much), that could be a good or bad thing. A key variable in play is that October is a pretty slow month (but not nearly as slow as September). It's where a lot of studios put their low budget horror movies and prestige films; Gravity comes to mind. The only advantage that it has in October is that the movie will be the only family-friendly genre film in that month this year. A downside to this is that the daily totals will suffer because regardless of how many bronies are in the fandom, this is still going to be aimed at children. And as we've all known since we were kids, the heat of the school season is in the Fall.

Anything could happen, but I'm sticking to the cautious side and saying that it will make a modest profit for Hasbro at best.

Eh being in October won't affect the box office that much as most kids see films over the weekend anyways.

Plus the film being a musical could give it great legs.

$70 million however is a flop considering the budget will be around $50-60 million (yes it will be that expensive; you don't make animated films for less unless you use bottom of the barrel quality like Norm of the North). In that case breaking even would be about $90-100 million, and I know based off these trends that it will gross a lot more than that.

Edited by TheGOAT

11 hours ago, TheGOAT said:

Eh being in October won't affect the box office that much as most kids see films over the weekend anyways.

Plus the film being a musical could give it great legs.

$70 million however is a flop considering the budget will be around $50-60 million (yes it will be that expensive; you don't make animated films for less unless you use bottom of the barrel quality like Norm of the North). In that case breaking even would be about $90-100 million, and I know based off these trends that it will gross a lot more than that.

For a movie that is not considered a flop in the box office, it normally has to make at least TWICE the budget. These public budget costs normally cover the making of the movie, but there's usually a non public budget reserved in marketing and paying the theaters to show the movie

24 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

For a movie that is not considered a flop in the box office, it normally has to make at least TWICE the budget. These public budget costs normally cover the making of the movie, but there's usually a non public budget reserved in marketing and paying the theaters to show the movie

That's probably why Hasbro picked the early fall. The lack of blockbusters around that time will help MLP shine, especially for being in a category of its one.

10 minutes ago, TheGOAT said:

That's probably why Hasbro picked the early fall. The lack of blockbusters around that time will help MLP shine, especially for being in a category of its one.

I've heard that's usually not a bad time, but it's not the best time for animated films either. Either way, I think it makes no much difference anyway as releasing it during animated movies seasons usually means more competition, and let's face it, ponies are going to lose against any sort of competition just by the stigma. It'll get the fans sure, but potential new fans will play it safe and watch other animated movies instead. I think in all, octover is the best time to release the movie, as no competition will push it off it's throne, and the fact that'll premiere on a FRIDAY it's better yet

1 hour ago, Steve Piranha said:

I've heard that's usually not a bad time, but it's not the best time for animated films either. Either way, I think it makes no much difference anyway as releasing it during animated movies seasons usually means more competition, and let's face it, ponies are going to lose against any sort of competition just by the stigma. It'll get the fans sure, but potential new fans will play it safe and watch other animated movies instead. I think in all, octover is the best time to release the movie, as no competition will push it off it's throne, and the fact that'll premiere on a FRIDAY it's better yet

What stigma? A bunch of edgy teenagers online don't count.

47 minutes ago, TheGOAT said:

What stigma? A bunch of edgy teenagers online don't count.

But the indifferent adults do. Besides, the movie has to appeal to the adults who take the kids in the first place 

1 minute ago, Steve Piranha said:

But the indifferent adults do. Besides, the movie has to appeal to the adults who take the kids in the first place 

MLP has for the most part succeeded at that and with the writing core the movie has (writers who have shown they can write mature dialogue in kids content) I don't have doubts that it will stand out from the other dumb kids movies like Boss Baby or Smurfs.

1 minute ago, TheGOAT said:

I don't have doubts that it will stand out from the other dumb kids movies like Boss Baby or Smurfs.

Neither do I, but that means nothing if parents don't take their kids. The marketing has to show that this more than just a bunch of colored horses doing boring and girly things as I'm sure many will assume first glance

2 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Neither do I, but that means nothing if parents don't take their kids. The marketing has to show that this more than just a bunch of colored horses doing boring and girly things as I'm sure many will assume first glance

I mean the other characters have nothing to do with that scheme...

I have to add my two bits to this cobversation, 

I as having this same discussion with my non brony freind a while ago, and why I dont think it will break records and get to the leves of any Disney animiated movie at the box office, I still think it will do good because at that time there are no other family movies scheduled to come out. (really you think patrents will take thsir kids to see Blade runneer?)

I would put this in the same category as the Lego movie, at first I thought it was going to bomb just because of its premise, nut I wached it and found that it was a great movie. Now look at its spin-off with batman, that was the only family movie against adult movies and it was at the top for multiple weeks. If the pony movie could do just as good as that then I would think it could be considered a success.

(if the emojii movie makes any kind of money, then we know that this will be ok)

As to the quality, I am cautiously optimistic about that. I was in the same situation right before the Deadpool movie came out. I was nervous that it was going to be worth the wait or a steaming pile. But either way we would have one and I was going to go and see it.

So I plan to go and see the movie regardless of what anyone else says.

• Brohoof 1

14 minutes ago, nr2038 said:

I have to add my two bits to this cobversation, 

I as having this same discussion with my non brony freind a while ago, and why I dont think it will break records and get to the leves of any Disney animiated movie at the box office, I still think it will do good because at that time there are no other family movies scheduled to come out. (really you think patrents will take thsir kids to see Blade runneer?)

I would put this in the same category as the Lego movie, at first I thought it was going to bomb just because of its premise, nut I wached it and found that it was a great movie. Now look at its spin-off with batman, that was the only family movie against adult movies and it was at the top for multiple weeks. If the pony movie could do just as good as that then I would think it could be considered a success.

(if the emojii movie makes any kind of money, then we know that this will be ok)

As to the quality, I am cautiously optimistic about that. I was in the same situation right before the Deadpool movie came out. I was nervous that it was going to be worth the wait or a steaming pile. But either way we would have one and I was going to go and see it.

So I plan to go and see the movie regardless of what anyone else says.

Agreed. I am hopeful that it will reach $170-$200m domestically and $450m worldwide, all reasonable numbers.

On 6/1/2017 at 5:57 PM, Steve Piranha said:

Im more concerned about marketing making sure to hit home that this is NOT another EqG movie because there are still people I talk to who arnt going to see it because they think its going to be another one of them. After making so many EqG's another pony movie by word of mouth alone would probably sound like nothing more than more of them and that wont do Hasbro any favors. Not saying the EqG movies were god awful or anything but they wernt the big screen adaptation of the show ANYONE was looking forward to.

If this is going to be that movie, Hasbro has to make sure people know its related at all to their other low profile films. Like I said with so little information right now being released by Hasbro anyone now just hearing about it by random poster shot on the internet or word of mouth "MLP movie" people arent likely to have any idea how different its going to be from Hasbro's previous theatrical releases.

• 3 weeks later...