Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is there anyone here who still hates Equestria Girls?

HorsesandMOARGaloar

When the first Equestria Girls movie was released, it received a largely negative reaction, due to it making the well-known pony characters to become a high school-themed, cliche-ridden movie. However as the sequels got released, the reception was more positive, mainly aided by a more improved storyline and Sunset becoming a more important character.

Now, I would like to know if there is anyone here who still hates Equestria Girls? I am not trying to attack others, but I am just curious. Thank you.

This may be a suprise to some but I actually hate the EQG franchise. I thought it was one of the worst ideas in animated tv show history. Even though I never saw any of these movies, they look like I'll never enjoy them. I'm one of these people who like sci fi/fantasy movies and not some chiche and unoriginal high school drama starring oddly a bunch of Doug-like characters. Even Lauren Faust hated the films because they go against what she visioned. Anyway, I'm very sick of the EQG franchise randomly appearing in the fandom, it's annoying. I could force myself to watch the films and make a review video of what I thought about them but don't be surprised if my reaction is the same.

IMG_4966.GIF

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
3 hours ago, Road R said:

I'm one of these people who like sci fi/fantasy movies and not some chiche and unoriginal high school drama starring oddly a bunch of Doug-like characters.

IMG_4966.GIF

On the other hand, I find inspiration in the weirdest things, such as those movies. Those colourful, high-school-themed humans of EqG look so alien to me, that they inspire me to write stories about science fiction, aliens, and clones. Especially what those clones would do, if they created a civilisation and a mythology of their own!

By the way, your little Dash is so cute when she's grumpy.

Edited by HorsesandMOARGaloar
Perhaps Dash would appreciate some science fiction, especially if it involves action and battles, like Star Wars.

1 minute ago, HorsesandMOARGaloar said:

On the other hand, those colourful humans look so alien to me, that they inspire me to write stories about science fiction, aliens, and clones. Especially what the clones will do if they created a civilisation!

By the way, your little Dash is so cute when she's grumpy.

Lol, that's really funny. You know what, I'll try to watch the film and make a review after that.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Eeeyup I'm here ! i hate the movie. I've watch all of them and I really think they're bad. I think this movie is useless and crapy. I thought it would be funny to see twilight as a human because she discover a new world etc but in fact that was pretty lame...

And the all "high school" thing full of cliché we've already seen a billion time doesn't help. I don't know why they've done those movie. One was ENOUGH.

Edited by Trotteur Funeste

1 hour ago, HorsesandMOARGaloar said:

When the first Equestria Girls movie was released, it received a largely negative reaction, due to it making the well-known pony characters to become a high school-themed, cliche-ridden movie. However as the sequels got released, the reception was more positive, mainly aided by a more improved storyline and Sunset becoming a more important character.

Now, I would like to know if there is anyone here who still hates Equestria Girls? I am not trying to attack others, but I am just curious. Thank you.

The first Equestria Girls movie was trash. I went back and watched it recently and it was just as inducive to face-palms as it was on my initial viewing.

Rainbow Rocks & The Friendship games were plain and simply BETTER than the first movie. Better writing, better comedy, better interactions between characters, better general characterizations, better animation, better musical numbers, better plotlines, pretty much everything was better.

Legend of the Everfree was just as bad as the first movie (if not worse) so I complained about it. I don't consider EQG to be "bad" overall, just had quite a few missteps. For example, I wouldn't consider Sonic games to be collectively "bad" just because half of the mainline games are subpar. It's those select few games "Sonic 1-3, CD, Adventure 2, and Unleashed" that have me coming back to the series to this day. I wouldn't call myself a "Sonic Fan" persay, but certainly not a Sonic Hater either. The same applies to Equestria Girls ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I will say I am not particularly fond of the overall concept of the Equestria Girls films, but as long as the execution is good, I'm completely open to watching more of them  :o 

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't say I hate them. Rainbow Rocks actually approaches being decent in quality, and since the first one set up RR, I can forgive it even though it really has enormous problems. Villain Sunset's plan made no sense, there were huge plot holes, etc, etc, I could go on. RR itself, while not perfect (try pulling rather than pushing on the door next time, gals) certainly entertained me. That climax, in a word, rocks. Friendship Games had its good moments, but overall was a step back. I haven't seen Legend of Everfree yet. Then again, I haven't seen most of season 7 of the show proper yet, so that's more an indication of my waning interest in FiM overall than an indictment of the latest in the EQG series. I'll put the whole set of movies down as a guilty pleasure, I can enjoy them even as I acknowledge the glaring flaws even the best of them exhibit.

I don't object to their existence, but really, I think that apart from RR, the best thing to come out of those movies was the music. That music is kickass, I don't care what anyone else says. I still listen to it and often get chills when I do.

• Brohoof 1

Equestria Girls became a mix bag to me. I already made reviews of these movies so I'll rate them on what I think.

Equestria Girls: 7.5/10

Rainbow Rocks: 8.5/10

Friendship Games: 7/10

Legend Of Everfree: 6.5/10

I know people have mix feelings of liking or hating this, for me I'm in the middle because I have personal opinions on all 4 movies.

As for Magical Movie Night, I'm going to upload the review of all 3 specials in one project.

• Brohoof 1

The first film was kinda bad. I can tell you that if not for EqG I would not be here talking to you. ;)

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Road R said:

Even though I never saw any of these movies, they look like I'll never enjoy them.

Yeah, it's kinda hard to judge the movies based solely on what you see from promotions or what the fandom has made for them. And as much as I like the series as a whole, I despise the first one because it's simply the weakest. However, I definitely think you should give movies 2 and 3 a try, since the writers drastically stepped up their game during those ones.

It's weird how quick we are to judge something that we haven't seen, especially since we're bronies, people who accept a show that most people dismiss.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly? When I first heard there was going to be a human themed MLP movie, I hated the idea of it, but I liked the movie quite a lot; just as I like all the subsequent releases in the Equestria Girls title.

• Brohoof 1

I enjoyed the first 3 movies for what they were, but in terms of Equestria Girls as a concept and an idea, I despise it. It purely exists to get into a particular toy market, which would be okay if the entire concept and setting wasn't so bland and boring. We have FiM which is set in a fantastical world where nearly anything can happen, then we have Equestria Girls, set in the real world, at a high school mostly with some magic thrown in. Meh. 

• Brohoof 2

10 hours ago, Meson Bolt said:

Yeah, it's kinda hard to judge the movies based solely on what you see from promotions or what the fandom has made for them. And as much as I like the series as a whole, I despise the first one because it's simply the weakest. However, I definitely think you should give movies 2 and 3 a try, since the writers drastically stepped up their game during those ones.

It's weird how quick we are to judge something that we haven't seen, especially since we're bronies, people who accept a show that most people dismiss.

I'm planning to watch all of them anyway and make a review on it (Even though it was done before, I don't care.) I also liked what you said about how I judged the movies, its kind of like me when I first heard about the MLP show and the fandom. Who knows, I might enjoy these films.

• Brohoof 1

18 hours ago, Violet_S said:

I personally love it still, I know that some people have valid reasons to not like it but meh.. that wont change me XD 

Surprisingly you're the only person who totally agrees with my point of view here.

18 hours ago, TheRockADragon said:

I love EQG.

No, I've never hated EQG.

Wait, TheRockADragon agrees too :)

16 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

I enjoyed the first 3 movies for what they were, but in terms of Equestria Girls as a concept and an idea, I despise it. It purely exists to get into a particular toy market, which would be okay if the entire concept and setting wasn't so bland and boring. We have FiM which is set in a fantastical world where nearly anything can happen, then we have Equestria Girls, set in the real world, at a high school mostly with some magic thrown in. Meh. 

I kiinda understand what you mean haha.

Without sounding egotistical, I'm probably the one who HATES them all moreso than everyone else. These movies are nothing but doll advertisements with cliche settings and circumstances, stereotypical characters, weak stories and practically insults to the creativity and magic of what makes the show. The first movie was an awful introduction to a spin-off that no one asked for. The second was a slight improvement, but still bad all the same. The third was also almost decent, but straight-up boring. The fourth one... Oh - oh - don't get me started...

If I have to give them credit on one or two things, they'd be the introductions of Sunset and Sci Twi. Sunset's character much improved and came close to a relatable person in RR and FG... Before she was severely downplayed in LoE alongside everyone else. As for Sci Twi... Well, I'm a sucker for all things Twilight, but like with Sunset, even she made me start losing brain cells in LoE.

I despise them all, no hesitation about it. I'm pretty positive why people love them so much is because the characters are basically humanized carbon copies of their beloved pony counterparts... Except, somehow written more stereotypical and poorly.

If so many like them, that's fine. But if I wanted to watch a bunch of films with absolutely zero effort put in centered around a high school with all the cliches and stereotypes, I'd watch the High School Musical movies.

• Brohoof 1

There are those who still dislike the concept and are divided into two groups: one that have seen the movies and declare that it isn't for them and the other who haven't and declare it isn't for them based on early promotional images and what they've heard. I respect those in either groups for saying their thoughts even though I wouldn't necessarily agree with them on it. After all, Equestria Girls was how I got into the fandom in the first place.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Ganondorf8 said:

There are those who still dislike the concept and are divided into two groups: one that have seen the movies and declare that it isn't for them and the other who haven't and declare it isn't for them based on early promotional images and what they've heard. I respect those in either groups for saying their thoughts even though I wouldn't necessarily agree with them on it. After all, Equestria Girls was how I got into the fandom in the first place.

As clearly emphasized by your avatar. But yeah, I respect other people's tastes on even things I detest. Why waste my energy, after all, on judging fans instead of judging the product? :P

Well I originally thought this was going to be a topic specifically made to bash EQG, I was pleasantly surprised that the OP was just asking about the film/franchise's reception and was trying to having a decent discussion instead.  Which I appreciate.

But to answer your question, even if the reception gradually improved over the course of multiple films, especially the success of Rainbow Rocks, the first film is still divisive, with plenty not really liking it, and others like me who really enjoyed it.

I am just glad to see that it isn't as controversial as it was when it was first announced and released in 2013, because as someone who experienced all of that drama that took place a the time, things sure weren't pretty.

• Brohoof 1

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎24 at 3:03 PM, Stardust Balance said:

As clearly emphasized by your avatar. But yeah, I respect other people's tastes on even things I detest. Why waste my energy, after all, on judging fans instead of judging the product? :P

If it wasn't for Equestria Girls, I wouldn't be in the fandom right now so it holds a special place in my heart. Granted, the first movie in my opinion is the worst one of the four yet I would still watch it because of the significance it has with me.

• Brohoof 1

Truth of the matter, is not much of hate towards it, but EQG was created as nothing more but a cash cow, because Hasbro saw the success "Monster High" was having , and they wanted a piece of that.  And now you see DC is doing the same with this "DC Superhero Girls" franchise, because they see the success EQG is having.   Heck, same can be said, for Disney's "Decendents" Animated shorts, and "Ever After" on Netflix. 

So again, nothing really against EQG (I may not like them myself), but as I mentioned above, it's just Hasbro wanted a piece of that "Monster High" pie, that now everyone wants a piece of.  

Now would I (and anyone else for the matter) respect it more, if say it was it's own thing, separate from FIM entirely , with no connections whatsoever, and tried to build it's own legacy on it's own like FIM did, then yes I would probably give more of a chance.  But again I don't hate it.

• Brohoof 1

Remember when I said I'll do a review after watching the movie? I made the video, but I'm worried about anti bronies sending me death threats. So I'm contiplating if I should post it anyway.

• Brohoof 1