Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Cheerilee’s class take on an exchange student?

ManaMinori

There are limitless possibilities for future CMC episodes, if this happens. With an exchange student, we could get to see ponies from outside Equestria, and their culture brought in to interact with foreigners. If not a pony, then a completely different species entirely, like a dragonling or Griffon chick. This could also bring the CMC and a certain dragon assistant together for more interaction with this race outside of school hours, depending on the race that is brought into the class. How interesting would it be to see a foreign species opening up new ways of thinking toward things that ponies hold dear, like cutie marks or magic and morals? Seeing as how Silver Spoon is merely an accessory to Diamond Tiara, with even less character development, could sending her off for the student exchange open up more possibilities, not just with the CMC, but Diamond Tiara, and even some of the Mane cast as well?

Adding a non Pony classmate would make for an interesting story I suppose. One episode with a switch would be a cool concept - but one of the CMC would likely need to go to the other school to make it a decent story. 

10 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Adding a non Pony classmate would make for an interesting story I suppose. One episode with a switch would be a cool concept - but one of the CMC would likely need to go to the other school to make it a decent story. 

none of the cmc have to go. there are other students in Cheerilee's class that no one would miss

27 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

none of the cmc have to go. there are other students in Cheerilee's class that no one would miss

Won't work well in 22 minutes without better established characterization. Only Pip and Tiara have that ... and Pip couldn't carry a B plot alone. Think like a writer.

You can't even pull the fan service card on that type of episode because none of the other kids have the rabid fan base demanding an episode centered around them. Additional characterization, sure. A whole chunk of an episode where they are the sole character introducing new characters? No way. 

I think this would be a cool idea.

Although I don't think a griffin or dragon would be a good fit. However one thing they could do, is have a Zebra exchange student. I think that would be an amazing scenario.. and both set up a good Zecora episode as well as deal with how children are often treated in school for being different.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Jeric said:

Won't work well in 22 minutes without better established characterization. Only Pip and Tiara have that ... and Pip couldn't carry a B plot alone. Think like a writer.

You can't even pull the fan service card on that type of episode because none of the other kids have the rabid fan base demanding an episode centered around them. Additional characterization, sure. A whole chunk of an episode where they are the sole character introducing new characters? No way. 

we don't have to confine it to a mere 22 minutes.

12 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

we don't have to confine it to a mere 22 minutes.

Well, when I address these sorts of speculative wish fulfillment episode ideas, I usually do so from a pragmatic and practical point of view. A two-parter addressing that sort of story will never be a thing on FiM. I can't legitimately say this would happen with a straight face. To me it's akin to suggesting that Transformers cross over with FiM. Fun discussion point for Stand By Me moments? Sure, but think otherwise is practiced ignorance of the show's structure, history, character focus, limitations, and themes. 

The show isn't about background characters. It's about a core group of Mane Characters and selectively developed supporting roles. Even when a support character is given the spotlight, it's always shared with or driven by an established main character. These are the seven girls (yes Starlight now counts and I can't pretend otherwise), Spike, and the CMC. 

For your idea to be greenlighted at a writers summit meeting, two things would have to happen. 

1. Include Scootaloo, Applebloom, or Sweetie Belle as a character who would be used to show the experience of the other school. 

2. Spend several episodes fleshing out another character to a point they would make sense to spend dedicated time with. 

Diamond Tiara fits that second criteria. However it has its own problem. Redeemed or not, any motivation for her agreeing to go would be contrived at best, or disingenuous to her character at worst. Silver Spoon has all of three lines distinguishing her from DT, so that's out. Pip, again, isn't interesting enough. Neither are valid options. 

There is a good idea in there, but as I've been trying to point out, writing is far more difficult than coming up with a hook. 

There is a great platform for this sort of idea. It's called fanfiction. And here's the kicker, it's a great idea for a fanfic! Heck if they had spent time establishing the other school kids it would be a great idea for the show. But they didn't because of opportunity cost and the show isn't about those characters. 

2 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

Doesn't Pip sort of fit the bill? He's a pony, but he also has a British accent from where he used to live (Can remember off the top of my head what the country was called)

Trottingham, I think...

I'd love to see an episode of that in which the map calls one of the Mane 6 to go to Ponyville Schoolhouse, with Cheerilee, and a new pony or race serving as an exchange student. I'm hoping they'd show an episode of that soon, if not this current season.

• Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, GrimGrimoire said:

However one thing they could do, is have a Zebra exchange student. I think that would be an amazing scenario.. and both set up a good Zecora episode as well as deal with how children are often treated in school for being different.

To tie this to my last post, you have a built in major character that would make this a phenomenal idea that builds off of continuity. Applebloom and Zecora have a closer connection on the show. New Zebra filly comes to Ponyville for a week, and Applebloom goes to whatever their kingdom is called. Great world building and using established characters that would make sense in the context of what the show has already given us. 

3 minutes ago, GunPla_GliMMeR_4 said:

Trottingham, I think...

I'd love to see an episode of that in which the map calls one of the Mane 6 to go to Ponyville Schoolhouse, with Cheerilee, and a new pony or race serving as an exchange student. I'm hoping they'd show an episode of that soon, if not this current season.

You beat me to it! I was off looking it up. I learned that Trottingham, according to the comics, has it's own queen. That makes it count as a separate country. Wait, does that mean Pipsqueak wasn't eligible to run for class President?

^_^

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

You beat me to it! I was off looking it up. I learned that Trottingham, according to the comics, has it's own queen. That makes it count as a separate country. Wait, does that mean Pipsqueak wasn't eligible to run for class President?

Impeachment! Diamond Tiara was robbed!

• Brohoof 1

The show ALREADY has too many characters, adding another one is just making bad into worse.

On the plus side

1 It gives the CMC something to due.

2  It could be Strong Heart or a zebra (would like to see "Do all zebras rhyme like Zecora?")

3 Or, it could be Babs Seed.

You want a plot twist? How about: The map picks Diamond Tiara (& her shadow Silver Spoon) to deal with the problem & the CMCs can't handle it.

Maybe we could see the return of Gabby and she could be an exchange student, and we could see more positive or the beginning of more positive relations between the Griffons and Equestria.