111 users have voted

1. 1. How was the episode?

• Terrible
    • Bad
    • Okay
    • Good
    • Amazing

• 4 months later...

I think this is the first episode showing Discord where I actually liked his character chaotic yes but not a jerk. Can't help wondering what they pottery pony thought at nearly being buried in bits or the store clerk with Pinky asking where to find the glowing, flying, self foading napkins. I can see her tracking discord down later to buy some for her own supplies.

May just be me here but I'd have actually found it hilarious if that "normal" discord when he received Fluttershy was the real discord "Oh no spirit of chaos is just my day job part of the whole balance thing this is the real me at home when I don't need to be on all the time."

• 1 month later...

This episode is okay. Most of the episode is really boring, but the third act is great with Discord fading out of existence and Fluttershy trying to stop it.

Score: 6/10

• 1 month later...

This episode got shuffled into the background last season for me, due to the (much like this season) crazy release schedule. I saw it early, but didn't comment on it and by the time it aired on DFC, I just didn't care anymore.

It was on this morning, so I finally got a chance to watch it for a second time. Back when I first saw it, I thought it was "meh" - the main problem being the idea used in the second act with Discord talking to "himself" was totally bland. Making duplicates to bounce ideas off was potentially interesting, but it never struck a chord with me. Part of the reason was that in the scene before, we had Discord bouncing ideas off of Pinkie Pie, and that scene was really interesting - so much so thinking about after the episode finished, I wished the whole second act had been Discord and Pinkie planning his tea party in his realm rather than him making copies of himself to do the same thing. Plus Pinkie and Discord really need to have a pairing off together. (She always gets shuffled away from him, like in "Three's a Crowd" where she was the only one capable of controlling him and thus he got rid of her. :mlp_okiedokieloki: )

Fortunately, after viewing the episode a second time, I really enjoyed the humor in the first act and it helped lift the boring second act up enough to make the episode likeable. The third act is OK - it was kind of fun seeing Fluttershy forced to think chaotically. Though having her panic enough to go more "Lesson Zero" would have been funnier. As it stands, the writer was probably afraid of making her too OOC if she acted crazy, but she's gone crazy before in "The Best Night Ever," so I don't think it would have been so unusual for her if she were truly in a panic over Discord fading away forever.

Also she may have been trapped in his realm forever if he faded away. Or the whole pocket universe might collapse, and that wouldn't be good, either... :sealed:

It's interesting now having a future reference episode like "The Breakup, Breakdown" to compare this episode against. Seeing Discord act in a similar manner to how he acted in his initial S8 appearance made it more enjoyable to watch him in this older episode. It doesn't help his regression in "A Matter of Principals," however.

Finally, I have mixed emotions about the mail pony struggling in the background of Discord's realm. On one hand, it's a funny Easter egg referencing all the way back to "Make New Friends but Keep Discord," but I can't help but feel bad for a pony who is seemingly stuck there for an eternity - unable to do anything and unable to die to end his torment. :yeahno:

I enjoyed this episode and OMG is Discord's home insane, this episode had a good overall moral and I always enjoy seeing the interactions between Fluttershy and Discord, my only real issue is Discord talking to himself got somewhat boring, other than that a great episode.

15 hours ago, MLPFanatic34 said:

I enjoyed this episode and OMG is Discord's home insane, this episode had a good overall moral and I always enjoy seeing the interactions between Fluttershy and Discord, my only real issue is Discord talking to himself got somewhat boring, other than that a great episode.

Discord's inner dialogue tends to become an outer dialogue; I thought the Fluttersuit was a bit creepy, but other than that I think this episode flowed well.

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Tropical Melody said:

Wasn't too sure about this TBH, as I have mixed feelings about Discord. Nevertheless really enjoyed it. How much dialogue can you write about tea parties? :D

Seem to recall discord being defensive about that later in break-up breakdown :)

9 minutes ago, Tropical Melody said:

Oh that ... :laugh:

Well, yeah (his reactions in there and back again were adorable)

Luckily, I have the SRT :)

Spike:
Aw, come on. You act tough, but deep down, you're a softie.
I mean, you don't have tea with Fluttershy every weekend because you like tea!

Discord:
But I do like tea!
Every tea!
All the teas!
Chamomile, Earl Gray, green, white, yellow, maté, lemon, ginger, chai, spearmint, peppermint, hibiscus, cinnamon pumpkin spice!

3 hours ago, Conred said:

Of course Discord cares about Fluttershy and not the tea. Holiday Special should be already a proof that he didn't cared about the tea in it.

But it isn't just a river in egypt :)

20 hours ago, Conred said:

Of course Discord cares about Fluttershy and not the tea. Holiday Special should be already a proof that he didn't cared about the tea in it.

It's because she's his best friend. that is why the Holiday Special proved his friendship with fluttershy. don't pretend them as couple.

Edited by Van123

10 hours ago, Van123 said:

It's because she's his best friend. that is why the Holiday Special proved his friendship with fluttershy. don't pretend them as couple.

We will have to see - its possible Andrea was joking when she said Flutters had a crush on Discord (for example) :)

21 hours ago, CypherHoof said:

We will have to see - its possible Andrea was joking when she said Flutters had a crush on Discord (for example) :)

She's suddenly joking about it right after recording her lines for S9 and she never shipped those two before. I think there might be more to it.

6 hours ago, Conred said:

She's suddenly joking about it right after recording her lines for S9 and she never shipped those two before. I think there might be more to it.

that is never confirmed. Andrea confessed that this never was a confirmation because they know that this is about friendship. and they said the word maybe as spike is crush on applejack and pinkie pie loves twilight, everything was a joke. fluttershy actually never is crush on Discord. that's pretending as couple.

Edited by Van123

1 hour ago, Van123 said:

that is never confirmed. Andrea confessed that this never was a confirmation because they know that this is about friendship. and they said the word maybe as spike is crush on applejack and pinkie pie loves twilight, everything was a joke. fluttershy actually never is crush on Discord. that's pretending as couple.

Just because other voice actors were joking doesnt mean Andrea was joking. Thats a basic logic.

12 minutes ago, Conred said:

Just because other voice actors were joking doesnt mean Andrea was joking. Thats a basic logic.

Everything was a joke and play and doesn't mean that's a basic logic. that's why nobody is in agreement with that ship. They support the friendship for the show and the characters for lauren faust. 

Edited by Van123

2 minutes ago, Van123 said:

Everything was a joke and play and doesn't mean that's a basic logic. that's why nobody is in agreement with that ship. They support the friendship for the show and the characters for lauren faust.

Everyone working on the show if supporting them as a romantic couple.

7 minutes ago, Conred said:

Everyone working on the show if supporting them as a romantic couple.

this is about the friendship between ponies based on G1, Fluttershy and Discord are best friends and romance focuses on the others, That counts with Big Mac and Sugar Belle and Maud Pie and her boyfriend.. It is true, they actually working on the show and supporting friendship. The romantic couple is sparity. not with fluttercord that's the reason nobody agrees with it. because that's not good for the children who watch the show.

Edited by Van123

• 2 weeks later...

This was quite interesting. I was a bit disappointed that things Fluttershy thought up of were things that discord had already tried, though. I wanted to be surprised at new ideas, and seeing old ones wasn't as exciting. Still, it was a nice episode.

Edited by qwerE

• 3 weeks later...

This Episode was a bit poorly presented. Okay, you shouldnt change up everything that makes you "you", but im pretty sure if your home would be this chaotic, you should probably clean it up if you have friends visiting you. This weird lesson, or at least the way its delivered, only works in a magical world and cant really be taken over to real life.

I would feel uncomfortable if i visit a friend and the house would be completely messy.

• 3 months later...

This episode is meh. Discord makes things slightly more interesting, but not interesting enough. I like the scenes of him talking to himself, but that's not enough. Both scenes of Discord going to the tea shops play out in the same way and the scene of Discord seeing Pinkie in a store is annoying because Pinkie. The third act feels like the writers were holding back. It's very slow and mild when it could've been pushed a lot further. I guess it's just another victim of Fluttershy being a very dull character. Nothing about the episode stands out as being especially memorable which is disappointing since Discord is such an inherently interesting character.

Score: 5/10