Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will My Little Pony The Movie Come Out On Home Video In Time For The Christmas Season?

bwrosas

Yes it will so they can capitalize on the Christmas sales and wish lists. Movies do faster and faster turnarounds to DVD and Blu-Ray just to take advantage of the whole staying fresh and relevant, as well as to compete with the streaming services that will have it offered sometimes just a couple weeks after it is released to theater. They want the maximum amount of your dollars, sitting around letting the film stagnate with all of the other things vying for your attention goes very much against that desire.

(edited)

Movies aren't usually released on home video so soon after their theatrical release. Producing the millions of DVDs that need to be sold and sending them to stores takes time.

It also depends on how successful the movie is. If the MLP movie is a big hit and stays in theaters for a long time, the DVD release will be delayed.

But, like OP said in his video, the Christmas season is a strong incentive for Hasbro to release it so soon. Plus, movies in recent years are coming out on DVD sooner than ever, so who knows. I'm not getting my hopes up, though.

Edited by Sir Floof

See the movie comes October 6 and depending on its performance if it sucks it will come out December to digital HD and blu ray January. If it's successful the digital HD will come late January early February and blu ray either late February or early March

I think it would come out in January at the earliest point and February at the latest.

But then again, as you said it took Fox a little over two months to slap together a good quality Blu-Ray/DVD for Logan. Maybe because it's a 2D animated film the process to get it out on home video won't take nearly as long as it would for a typical film. Power Rangers is also getting a Blu-Ray release on June 27th too. We'll have to wait and see what Lionsgate/Hasbro want to do.

It's possible, but doubtful.

The film opens on October 6. If you had a target release date for a film during the holidays aimed at kids, you typically want that positioned for a late November release ... cause Black Friday and that whole week is huge. Thanksgiving is the 26th of November. So that means going gold a bit before that to ready for production. 

You also have to factor in if the film has any legs. Unless we see something insane like a 70% dropoff when theaters report attendance on the 14th and 15th, I suspect it will carry to late October to early November with an average screen drop for a middle tier animated movie. That isn't the padding that they want. They can do it if they planned ahead well enough. 

Next big window for the US market is in February for this type of film. Why? Disposable income increases dramatically in Feb when early filers with kids claim the EITC and get larger tax refunds. 

4 hours ago, Jeric said:

It's possible, but doubtful.

The film opens on October 6. If you had a target release date for a film during the holidays aimed at kids, you typically want that positioned for a late November release ... cause Black Friday and that whole week is huge. Thanksgiving is the 26th of November. So that means going gold a bit before that to ready for production. 

You also have to factor in if the film has any legs. Unless we see something insane like a 70% dropoff when theaters report attendance on the 14th and 15th, I suspect it will carry to late October to early November with an average screen drop for a middle tier animated movie. That isn't the padding that they want. They can do it if they planned ahead well enough. 

Next big window for the US market is in February for this type of film. Why? Disposable income increases dramatically in Feb when early filers with kids claim the EITC and get larger tax refunds. 

There are four qualities that could give this film legs:

1. Being the only family film for at least a month and a half (unless you count Thor as one).

2. Positive reviews/word of mouth

3. Being a musical (people will hear the songs on YouTube and want to go see it in person). This also ties in with Sia and her promotional ability.

4. Strong Female protagonists (the only animated film this year to have one. Strong female characters like Twilight Sparkle sell and provide a good model, and I don't mean horribly written ones like the 2016 Ghostbusters).

• Brohoof 1

Doubtful. At Christmas, My Little Pony: The Movie might still be in its theatrical run, and Logan appears to be the exception rather than the norm. Lionsgate doesn't really have a comparable example in recent years, but looking at last year's youth-oriented Middle School: The Worst Years of My Life, which opened in October, we can see that they didn't release the DVD until January 3. Unless Hasbro has some sort of special deal (which they might, considering this is a movie in continuity with a TV property), I assume Lionsgate will be mainly focused on ticket profits at Christmas, especially considering that many families will have more free time during Christmas.

On 6/1/2017 at 3:59 AM, TheGOAT said:

Strong Female protagonists (the only animated film this year to have one. Strong female characters like Twilight Sparkle sell and provide a good model, and I don't mean horribly written ones like the 2016 Ghostbusters).

I think the My Little Pony movie might not get too much praise for its strong female protagonists solely because those protagonists existed beforehand. People who already watch the show or whose kids watch the show for its strong female characters will certainly flock to the film, but I don't think that counts as a draw for the film itself. 

• Brohoof 1

On 6/1/2017 at 5:59 AM, TheGOAT said:

4. Strong Female protagonists (the only animated film this year to have one. Strong female characters like Twilight Sparkle sell and provide a good model, and I don't mean horribly written ones like the 2016 Ghostbusters).

I don't know. Gal Gadot may have locked up that talking point for a while. 

3 hours ago, Blue Diamond said:

I don't know. Gal Gadot may have locked up that talking point for a while. 

She's only one of them. People have also praised Judy Hopps and Moana for being strong female characters.

1 hour ago, TheGOAT said:

She's only one of them. People have also praised Judy Hopps and Moana for being strong female characters.

The diversity message of Zootopia overshadowed that by a lot. Moana I would definately agree with, until I realize something.

Those were Disney. Those were big tent pole films. They had far more non review articles written about them than Pony will even have reviews. Those movies aren't in the same ballpark, league, or even the same sport as My Little Pony. I love the show, I am looking forward to the movie, but I need to be intellectually honest ... the press is not going to be anywhere near as big as those films. 

My Gal Gadot comment was a joke, I really don't see the marketing pushing the strong female role model angle. But it doesn't matter. October is not that far away. Christmas isn't that far away either. If I'm wrong I will admit it with a smile on my face since it's win/win. 

If I'm right I won't care because Star Wars is right around the corner and all my movie going hype is gonna be focused on that. :P

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 4:12 PM, AlexanderThrond said:

Doubtful. At Christmas, My Little Pony: The Movie might still be in its theatrical run, and Logan appears to be the exception rather than the norm.

It may be, but if so, it will be limited to one-two showings during the day on one screen, and if they still exist, be regulated to the $1 theater runs by December.  But maybe I'll be wrong.

As others have speculated its unlikely it will be released in time by Christmas but it made me think of something. Maybe its just me but most holidays for me are interchangable. What I mean is I can celebrate holidays like Christmas anytime of the month or year really (Im an adult. I do what i want!). I've talked with my parents about coming home for Christmas and only being able to be there before or after Dec 25th so I wouldnt be there on Christmas day and my mother was shocked I wouldnt be there on the 25th. I told her we could have Christmas early January if we wanted. We're not shackled to a specific date to celebrate something.

Feeling that way I can understand why the youngins would be looking forward to a holiday release of the film to get it for Christmas as parents are only buying you things during specific times of the year. But for me, I can wait days or months later to get it and still feel the same.