Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Spike's friendship with Starlight

FlareGun45

The main thing about the season 6 premiere that I liked about it is the interaction between Spike and Starlight! That's what made me like it, in all things considered! Oh c'mon, character limit thingy! Get outta the way, I can't see what I'm typing! 

Anyways, I know Spike is around to help out his friends in their time of need, but I'm actually quite surprised the two aren't closer. No, I'm not shipping them, I don't consider them a couple or even a replacement crush, but I really thought they'd be closer friends by now. They're both really close to Twilight, and they both had the same problems in the past: had a hard time fitting in or getting accepted, and the pony that understands them in the most lives outside of the Mane Six; like Starlight has Trixie, and Spike has Big Mac, and they pretty much BOTH have Discord and Thorax! 

Even though I'm not sure how Big Mac's relationship with Sugar Belle would affect guys' night.

Judging of how much Starlight and Spike have in common, they really should be closer friends - like Spike would more like take Maud's position, Maud isn't Starlight's BEST friend, but somepony she can relate to and hang with - so it's like that, but I picture Spike in Maud's position. Of course it's not too late for this to happen, we still have 3 episodes that yet to be revealed! This is why I really want them to have an episode together! Another thing to add, they both hang out the Mane Six alot but aren't close with most of them.

So out of everything Spike and Starlight has done over the series, do you think they should be closer friends than they are now, and perhaps their friendship should be explored a little?

• Brohoof 1

I hate the character limit thing too. WHOOA B**** GET OUT THE WAY!!!

honestly though, Just like Twilight has her own friends, Spike has his. Yes, Starlight and the mane 6 are his friends, but he's mostly there with Starlight to act as a conscious/ voice of reason, like he did for Twilight. Making sure she follows through on friendship lessons, and asking her "are you sure that's a good idea?" when it comes to anything magic related. Of course, she doesn't listen- or learn...but that's another can of worms I don't feel like getting into right now.

On 2017-05-27 at 11:25 PM, Phirun Natela said:

Spike is like a crutch the writers can use to progress the plot forward. He's always the voice of reason, this is probably the only reason why they were paired up together. Of course they have great chemistry, but I think that was an afterthought. Anyways, I agree, they're perfect for close friend material looking at all the similarities. But we'll probably won't see it because 80% of the people making MLP now don't really have a liking / hate towards Spike. S6 is probably the only season where Spike is written well, since looking at the all the synopsis's this season, he's back to the bumbling idiot again because they can't write for Spike properly. Shame too since he has so much potential, but the real question is. Do the writers see that? Probably not since half of them aren't even accustomed to MLP. 

Since when did they make him an idiot again other than that one time in Honest Apple? 

On 2017-05-27 at 11:49 PM, Phirun Natela said:

Triple Threat, it's obvious he's back to his retarded roots again. 

No he won't. He realizes that the changelings and dragons had a conflict in the past, and to protect Equestria, and their races from going into war, he keeps them apart. He probably wanted them to meet, but Twilight tells him the conflict, he keeps them apart, and doesn't realize Ember and Thorax don't care, and Spike starts yet another alliance and that's a step closer to his potential destiny! Not retarded, just misleading. He's still young so of course there's a mistake every now and again. Maybe his next episode this season will be even better once it gets revealed!

Other than Twilight and Spike, Pinkie's the only other Mane Six pony (with Maud Pie) who's been closest friends with Starlight so far.

Of course, Fluttershy mostly interacts with Discord, and the rest with the Cutie Mark Crusaders, so it won't be easy for any of those ponies to have much interactions with Starlight.

On 2017-05-28 at 12:35 AM, Phirun Natela said:

And that so called misleading "leads" him into being a bumbling idiot for 18 minutes of the episode. Thorax and Ember will be hunkey dorey at the end with Spike being: "Oh shit, guess i was wrong, silly me hehe." 

I really don't want it to be like this but you're looking way too positively at a synopsis that frankly suggests what i just described.

Need i remind you that only S6 had good Spike episodes because they knew they fucked up earlier and he needed some fixing. They're done with that now.

Look even if it turns out bad, it's only one season. Most of the staff are focused on the movie! I can guarantee when most of the staff focuses on the show again back in season 8, we'll be seeing huge changes in the show! I have confidence in the writers! Besides, i given both Hasbro and Discovery a general comment email on the matter. Perhaps if enough people contact Discovery and tell them about this little affair with Spike, they'll fix the problem! I mean Hasbro did say contact Discovery if there's any issues in the show that needs solving.

I would say they are plenty close enough as friends. I mean what more do you want? Do you need an entire episode of them celebrating PDSSD (Pony Dragon Surprise Swap Day) to consider them Friends? By everything I have seen they seem like they ARE really close and trust and respect one another. If anything Star needs some episodes with the rest of the Mane 6 to really put it on screen they are all friends. If anything Spike needs episodes like some of the issues of the comic he had such as his pairings with Celestia, Zecora, and Luna. I think an episode with him and Starlight would be cool and all, but would not be necessary to confirm his friendship with Starlight to me.

On 2017-05-28 at 12:35 AM, Phirun Natela said:

And that so called misleading "leads" him into being a bumbling idiot for 18 minutes of the episode. Thorax and Ember will be hunkey dorey at the end with Spike being: "Oh shit, guess i was wrong, silly me hehe." 

I really don't want it to be like this but you're looking way too positively at a synopsis that frankly suggests what i just described.

A synopsis is just that. It doesn't tell you the complete flow of the episode. So far this season we have gotten several of them everyone panicked over and yet the episode went extremely well, I see this one as being no different really.

"Spike accidentally invites Ember and Thorax to Ponyville on the same day. He's sure the two new leaders are not going to get along so he does all he can to keep them apart and cover the fact that the other is there."

I can't speak for anyone else, but that does not say a whole hell of a lot. For all we know Dragons hate changelings, or vice versa. Something has to be the catalyst for why he is so sure they will not get along since I do not see him randomly pulling it out of thin air considering all he has been through and his knowledge of the two characters. It is kind of silly to typecast him into actions he has yet to partake in.

• Brohoof 1

12 minutes ago, GrimGrimoire said:

I would say they are plenty close enough as friends. I mean what more do you want? Do you need an entire episode of them celebrating PDSSD (Pony Dragon Surprise Swap Day) to consider them Friends? By everything I have seen they seem like they ARE really close and trust and respect one another. If anything Star needs some episodes with the rest of the Mane 6 to really put it on screen they are all friends. If anything Spike needs episodes like some of the issues of the comic he had such as his pairings with Celestia, Zecora, and Luna. I think an episode with him and Starlight would be cool and all, but would not be necessary to confirm his friendship with Starlight to me.

A synopsis is just that. It doesn't tell you the complete flow of the episode. So far this season we have gotten several of them everyone panicked over and yet the episode went extremely well, I see this one as being no different really.

"Spike accidentally invites Ember and Thorax to Ponyville on the same day. He's sure the two new leaders are not going to get along so he does all he can to keep them apart and cover the fact that the other is there."

I can't speak for anyone else, but that does not say a whole hell of a lot. For all we know Dragons hate changelings, or vice versa. Something has to be the catalyst for why he is so sure they will not get along since I do not see him randomly pulling it out of thin air considering all he has been through and his knowledge of the two characters. It is kind of silly to typecast him into actions he has yet to partake in.

There's ALWAYS gonna be shipping fuel, brah! Those two are already shipped big time by the fandom! One episode isn't gonna make a difference on that. After all he's still interacting with Twilight and Rarity constantly without break, so what about that shipping fuel? Spike needs himself a friend that understands him. The Mane Six, they like him and he likes them, but they don't understand him completely. He's a good assistant to them, but they're not his BEST friends. He's more a friend of a friend that they became friends with. That's what made Dungeons and Discords so great! It really felt like Spike was really connecting to Big Mac and Discord, since they're all close with one of the Mane Six and they're not always invited to their things so they got each other! 

If the writers are forgetting to give Spike more in depth character development, then of course, we remind them. He's not just a comedic sidekick or voice of reason. He's a character with personality, a destiny, and of course secrets that not even Twilight knows about. We the fandom see his greater potential, but do the writers? That's the problem.

I would be fine with seeing more of Spike's friendship with Starlight.

It was a highlight of the season 6 premiere, but outside of that, we really haven't seen much of it.

• Brohoof 1

I'd rather see Starlight have more interaction with the remane 5 than Spike, especially considering both Spike and Starlight were explored in the S6 premiere and the fact that Starlight does fuck all with the remane 5 despite the show telling us they're close friends and keeps trying to put them in the same pedastal

1 hour ago, Whompy Whomperson said:

I'd rather see Starlight have more interaction with the remane 5 than Spike, especially considering both Spike and Starlight were explored in the S6 premiere and the fact that Starlight does fuck all with the remane 5 despite the show telling us they're close friends and keeps trying to put them in the same pedastal

Why not both then? :3

21 hours ago, MegaSean45 said:

There's ALWAYS gonna be shipping fuel, brah! Those two are already shipped big time by the fandom! One episode isn't gonna make a difference on that. After all he's still interacting with Twilight and Rarity constantly without break, so what about that shipping fuel? Spike needs himself a friend that understands him. The Mane Six, they like him and he likes them, but they don't understand him completely. He's a good assistant to them, but they're not his BEST friends. He's more a friend of a friend that they became friends with. That's what made Dungeons and Discords so great! It really felt like Spike was really connecting to Big Mac and Discord, since they're all close with one of the Mane Six and they're not always invited to their things so they got each other! 

If the writers are forgetting to give Spike more in depth character development, then of course, we remind them. He's not just a comedic sidekick or voice of reason. He's a character with personality, a destiny, and of course secrets that not even Twilight knows about. We the fandom see his greater potential, but do the writers? That's the problem.

Take a breath.

I don't care about any shipping... much less Spikelight or some such, we get enough of that with Sparity. So let's address those thoughts shall we?

He is not a friend of a friend. It is pretty much strongly implied all of the Mane 6 are like his big sisters. Twilight is definitely as close to a foster mom as anything we are most likely to see, unless they do tackle his origin. Remember the life debt episode, he and Applejack became pretty close... I don't even need to bring up Rarity. Rainbow Dash was concerned enough about him to almost panic along with everyone else when they thought he would not return to Ponyville. And although he has not directly had an episode involving them, both Pinkie and Fluttershy have shown to care about him and be very fond of him. So yeah, they all understand him and GET him... in fact they probably get him better than Big Mac and Discord, who were really there just to play a game with him... you know, the whole different friends for different things brought up several episodes back between Fluttershy and Discord. Honestly I did not see that much of a deep connection with them other than they were trying to have fun playing a game like a lot of people do. I don't think a game of O&O makes them blood brothers or anything. Honestly Spike seems to be pretty well known in Ponyville and can probably count the whole village as his friends if you want to be technical about it. What secrets does he have the Twilight does not know? I am pretty certain he tells her pretty much everything on screen or off. (As off as a fictional character can that is).

And no, that is not the problem at all. The problem is, you and several others LOVE Spike... and that is great, nothing at all wrong with that... but you are trying to expect more out of the show that you can reasonable hope to gain with him. Arguably, Spike could be given NO episodes... this is MLP, not MLD after all... he is a sidekick... that is what he was created to be. However, he has proven to be a popular character, and they have done episodes centering around him and giving him more of a starring role... also, he plays a major supporting character in many episodes, you can easily go count them. If the writers did not care about him or were always forgetting him, he would be that little purple dragon dude that hangs out at Twilight's place we only see when she is at home reading books. But he is not that PDD.. he has become one of the major additional characters and he has certainly been given plenty of attention. You just want more...that is all. That is how every Fluttershy, Pinkie, Rarity, Applejack, Starlight, Trixie, Big Mac, Rainbow Dash, Twilight or CMC fan feels. This really is not about getting Spike a best friend, just about getting episodes with more Spike in them. The fact is, if they had done something different like make Thorax his best buddy instead of the changeling king, that friendship would be exactly like the one between Starlight and Trixie... meaning to say they are best friends, but only when the episode calls for them to be in it together... otherwise they are on their own.

Spike is absolutely no different. He gets plenty of attention... if you want more, hop in line with everyone else wanting more attention on their favorite characters.

• Brohoof 1

On 2017-05-29 at 12:24 AM, Phirun Natela said:

You completely missed the intention of OP's post. Some of what you say is correct, but other stuff isn't. I disagree with your first point, Spike is easily the friend of a friend. The show itself has countless examples of that I won't bother to go into. (E.G; Spike abuse and how almost no one cares about it in most seasons.) 

How were AJ and he close? AJ gave him some good advise after he was a pain in the butt and wanted him to leave. That's it, no real bonding moment there. I don't know what Pinkie did to be so fond of him, sometimes play music with him, prank him and use him for information? That's a close relationship...

Fluttershy so far has only really shown her fondness in S1, just because he was a dragon and not because of his personality. (Of course the ponies have showed concern once or twice, but that's not enough in my opinion, it just further enforces the friend of a friend argument.) 

I think that Big Mac and Spike are closer than most think. I don't think there are many people who have a little celebration dance, do other things outside of D&D and act like that just because they play one board game. Also, it's what the show has shown us untill now, who knows what he does more with Big Mac when he's done working?

If it's something important Spike seems pretty closed off to me, not even telling Twilight.

Again about the rest, you're entirely missing the point of OP's post, this wasn't about more Spike episodes.

@GrimGrimoire Exactly this! Spike's appearance quantity is fine! It's some of his qualities that are an issue. I'm not saying he's taking over the show. I just want him to be more explored as a character, and season 6 looked like his character was telling us something. Of course it's My Little PONY, he's not replacing the Mane Six! He never will! But he's considered a MAIN character to the show staff, and he can't be doing the same exact thing all the time. He's not just a comedic sidekick, he's a character. He's a dragon living in a pony world with so many mysteries about him. He's gotta be more looked into every once in a while. If every season for him is like season 6 we wouldn't have this problem. He'd be almost perfect!

I disagree with your first point, Spike is easily the friend of a friend. The show itself has countless examples of that I won't bother to go into.

If he is the friend of a friend, he is the best damn friend of a friend in history. Yeah, she did want to get rid of him, because she did not want the life debt.. she made it very clear... she could have told him to piss off and ignored his life debt crap and that would have been that... but she didn't.. that is respect for something she really did not agree with... I would not have been nearly so nice about it for example. Just because you decide to not see it as bonding, does not mean it isn't... I mean she did save his life after all and later he did stand and defend her when she was trapped and all even when he had figured out it was a ruse and deep down he really did not think he had a chance... so yeah I would say they bonded... again, maybe not as deeply as some people think they need to, but that makes the friendship no less real.  I never said they were all flower picking best friends, but he no less sees them as his best friends/family. It is like people are trying to paint Spike into the above PDD on purpose instead of watching the show.

I think that Big Mac and Spike are closer than most think. I don't think there are many people who have a little celebration dance, do other things outside of D&D and act like that just because they play one board game. Also, it's what the show has shown us untill now, who knows what he does more with Big Mac when he's done working?

And you are free to think it. That is what headcanons are for. He may also secretly do time traveling experiments with Doctor Whooves.... we'll maybe never know! The fact is, going by the show and only the show, we see them play a game together, and that is it. No mention of it before or since. By all means they could be the best of friends but that goes back to my original statement, if they are.. it was just for that one episode.... and it may never be referenced again. The one thing people seem to forget, is this is a fictional show, so no one does ANYTHING when the show is not on, we just have to assume/pretend/fantasize about what happens.

If it's something important Spike seems pretty closed off to me, not even telling Twilight.

Examples? I genuinely cannot think of anything, so if I am forgetting something please share. And even then, I would imagine he would tell her "off screen". My reasoning being that Twilight is easily his closest confident, considering she raised him and has always been with him. I cannot see him keeping secrets from her.

Again about the rest, you're entirely missing the point of OP's post, this wasn't about more Spike episodes

And yes, it was absolutely about more Spike episodes. Unless the OP is suggesting that from now on EVERY Spike appearance needs to have Starlight (or whoever) right next to him for it to count as a true friendship. Because as stated, he has a TON of friends, Starlight already included. You can place that level of friendship wherever you like, it makes those friendships no less real. We all have friends to varying degrees some more prominent than others. As I said, you can introduce ANY character you like as his "best friend" and the results would be the exact same, they would be "best friends" in that one episode and that would it, until perhaps another story called for it. The best example of this is Starlight and Trixie which have confirmed themselves to be best friends and yet are still not seen togetehr every single appearance. The only way to circumvent that above possibility is to make MORE episodes about Spike per season.

On 2017-05-29 at 1:06 AM, MegaSean45 said:

He's not just a comedic sidekick, he's a character. He's a dragon living in a pony world with so many mysteries about him. He's gotta be more looked into every once in a while. If every season for him is like season 6 we wouldn't have this problem. He'd be almost perfect!

Season 7 is not over. Give it time.

13 minutes ago, GrimGrimoire said:

And yes, it was absolutely about more Spike episodes. Unless the OP is suggesting that from now on EVERY Spike appearance needs to have Starlight (or whoever) right next to him for it to count as a true friendship. Because as stated, he has a TON of friends, Starlight already included. You can place that level of friendship wherever you like, it makes those friendships no less real. We all have friends to varying degrees some more prominent than others. As I said, you can introduce ANY character you like as his "best friend" and the results would be the exact same, they would be "best friends" in that one episode and that would it, until perhaps another story called for it. The best example of this is Starlight and Trixie which have confirmed themselves to be best friends and yet are still not seen togetehr every single appearance. The only way to circumvent that above possibility is to make MORE episodes about Spike per season.

No, brah, I wasn't. I was just stating that I'd like their friendship more explored as in, I wanna see just one episode starring the both of them. I'm tired of seeing Spike only having a recurring bond with just Twilight and Rarity. If he's really gonna hang with the Mane Six all the time, why didn't have any duet episodes with half of the Mane Six yet? 

Judging by how close they both are to Twilight, and how much they have in common, I'm just surprised they didn't have more moments together that doesn't involve Starlight having a problem that needs sorting, or her past getting reminded by him. And also they're both good friends of Thorax and Discord! They can form their own little social group or something! Sometimes the Mane Six go on adventures without Spike, and sometimes he gets lonely. On D&D it shows that he and Big Mac feel bad for Discord for being so lonely, and why wouldn't they do that unless they relate to him a bit?

I'm not trying to change your opinion, brah, but there is so much of Spike that's still a mystery, like where he came from, how he ended up in Celestia's school, and what is potential destiny and purpose is, and right now for the time bean, he's with Twilight till he can figure that out. He's a hard worker and a loyal friend, and deserves nothing the best! 

Don't worry, I don't expect him to have more than his typical 2-3 starring episodes per season, until his big season comes, and/or when Scorpan comes around! ;) But that season has not yet come.

On 2017-05-29 at 12:29 PM, Phirun Natela said:

Triple Threat won't cover much, otherwise it wouldn't make much sense. For the rest, not really an argument but I really don't think they're going to do much with him.

What if it does?

Also we still don't know what episodes 24-26 are about! Plus like I said about the season Scorpan comes to the show! IF he comes to the show! ;)

I think the reason we see Spike paired off with Twilight and Rarity so often is because it's simply the easiest to do. Twilight is babysitting Flurry? It makes the most sense to have her ever-faithful assistant by her side. Rarity is searching for gems in the Ponyville gem cave? Throw in Spike in a non-speaking role because they have a well-established relationship.

Could they do the same with him with other characters? Probably, though a string of cameo appearances do not a strong friendship indicate. That means taking time away from other characters if they wanted to show how close he really is with the rest of the Mane 6 and Starlight.

Spike is both friends with everypony and at the same time not really close with any of them, save for Twilight who is clearly his closest family member. He may have stated the ponies are all like family to him at the end of "Dragon Quest," but the reality is he's still off in his own little world of being a dragon among equines, or at least that's the way it feels from how his friends interact with him outside of his focus episodes.

This is why I feel like "Dungeons and Discords" was unique in clearly establishing a bond between him and Big Mac, and then Discord. It would have been interesting to have had a follow-up with Pinkie and Rainbow to learn more about how he'd interact with the two of them in a non-casual situation like fighting hordes of monsters.

Anyway, S6 may have been Spike's season, but S7 seems to belong to the CMC. So if Mane 6 fans want to get upset at anyone this year, get upset at them - because right now it seems like S7 is going the way of S5 in terms of how much screen time Spike gets.

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, titanhades70 said:

Actually I do consider Maud Starlight's best friend. Just as Twilight is Starlight's best friend. Who says you can't have more then one best friend? Twilight constantly calls the Mane 7 her best friends.

Right I figured that now after the release of Uncommon Bond! I just thought she and Spike might've had something going on, and they might, but they have yet to release that episode! Noooo not in a shipping way! ;) 

On 5/30/2017 at 8:13 AM, Truffles said:

I think the reason we see Spike paired off with Twilight and Rarity so often is because it's simply the easiest to do. Twilight is babysitting Flurry? It makes the most sense to have her ever-faithful assistant by her side. Rarity is searching for gems in the Ponyville gem cave? Throw in Spike in a non-speaking role because they have a well-established relationship.

Could they do the same with him with other characters? Probably, though a string of cameo appearances do not a strong friendship indicate. That means taking time away from other characters if they wanted to show how close he really is with the rest of the Mane 6 and Starlight.

Spike is both friends with everypony and at the same time not really close with any of them, save for Twilight who is clearly his closest family member. He may have stated the ponies are all like family to him at the end of "Dragon Quest," but the reality is he's still off in his own little world of being a dragon among equines, or at least that's the way it feels from how his friends interact with him outside of his focus episodes.

This is why I feel like "Dungeons and Discords" was unique in clearly establishing a bond between him and Big Mac, and then Discord. It would have been interesting to have had a follow-up with Pinkie and Rainbow to learn more about how he'd interact with the two of them in a non-casual situation like fighting hordes of monsters.

Anyway, S6 may have been Spike's season, but S7 seems to belong to the CMC. So if Mane 6 fans want to get upset at anyone this year, get upset at them - because right now it seems like S7 is going the way of S5 in terms of how much screen time Spike gets.

Well shows don't get very far with taking the 'easy' path, do they? ;) Gotta think more outside the box when it comes with Spike's friendship, just like they did with Starlight's friendships! Luckily they did just that in season 6 with Thorax! Though it would be more appealing if Spike actually hung with him more often than Starlight, since he interacted with Thorax for like 3 episodes, and Starlight interacted with him for pretty much every episode he appeared in except for his debut episode. I'm not saying Starlight and Thorax can't be friends, just not more friends than Spike is to him. Unless of course Starlight is willing to share one of her friends! Trixie? Sunburst? Either or! Sunburst would make more sense though.