Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What was your worst injury in your life?

ILikeNightmares

So what was it? Was it minor, major...

In my case, my worst injury occoured just around 3 weeks ago. It was 1st of May, midnight. I was heading home from a BBQ party from my friend's place. I got completely drunk, and I'm talking like 4 liters of beer and 2 liters of wine... As I was heading home along with 2 buddies, we had to cross a certain bridge to get to the city transport. Out of the blue I climbed up the fence of a 50ft (15.2 meter) tall bridge and started shouting random songs and waving arms. Just as my buddy turned around to pull me back I slipped and fell all the way down to the ground. I was rushed to the hospital and had an 8 hour long surgery. Results of an accident was a broken left arm, broken left leg, nearly a broken spine, external and internal bleeding and an instant coma, lost around 20 liters of blood in total. I had over 50% chance to die since I was losing 9 times more blood than produced. Today I can walk and run normally but my arm is still a bit numb. I guess I was lucky. And I love my friend, if he wasn't there..... 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

When I was 11 I was getting  off of my bed when I landed on a screw that was on a old futon we had puncturing my knee. I had to have a bunch of tests done to make sure the screw didn't puncture my knee cap. If it did I would have needed surgery luckily it didn't.  The thing I found funny about it was the test they did made my knee warp to freaky shapes making my mom,dad and older brother nearly faint. Since they put a saline solution under the knee cap to see if any of the solution came out. Of course I was oblivious to it since I was under some form of anesthesia. The only good thing that came out of it was that I got my copy of Pokemon blue.

Edited by PrincessOfCompassion

Nearly drowning, when I was...11, I think. Was a swim class in gym, nobody jumped in to pull my noob butt out of the pool. Have had a fear of water ever since :P

Worst physical injury would be dislocating my kneecap. Well, the first time. Have had that at least once a year since. Nowadays it just sounds horrible and feels spooky as heck when I slide my kneecap around :D

33 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

I crashed my moped.

I actually did this in January. Testing out my cousin's recently "restored" 1978 Honda Express and found myself presented with a corner and no brakes. Bike slid sideways, then me and the bike parted ways. Tried to stick the landing but I failed miserably and destroyed my knee. My ACL actually got pulled so hard that the section of bone it attaches to on the tibia was broken off. From what I hear this isn't a particularly common injury since the ACL usually tends to tear before the bone gives way, so I guess I should've drank more milk as a kid or something...

Now the pain was manageable, I could deal with that. Didn't even actually know my knee was fractured, just thought I'd hyperextended it. But I'll tell y'all what the absolute worst sensation I've ever experienced was: when I went to go stand up, my leg bent sideways. It wasn't particularly painful (probably would have been if I hadn't been on one hell of an adrenaline high at this point), but apart from every fiber of my being screaming "THAT SHIT AIN'T RIGHT" there was also a very unpleasant slipping feeling in my knee accompanied by an unnatural stretching of my skin. All this combined into a sensation so indescribably awful and uncomfortable that even now just remembering it is giving me goosebumps and making me gag.

Had to have surgery on it to anchor down the bit of bone floating around, and that sucked pretty hard too. It's been 3 months since the surgery and even after 2½ months of physical therapy I'm still walking funny, and you can forget running...

TL;DR: Brakes are the most important feature of a motor vehicle.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Once upon a time, 9 year old me was gleefully riding a horse amidst a vast green field. However, 9 year old me failed to realize that there was a nearly invisible steel clothesline - conveniently lacking any actual clothes at the moment - blocking the path between his horse and true happiness. Thus, 9 year old me's body came in contact with the hard, cold steel cord while riding the high-velocity stallion. The line struck him in the chest area, just barely missing his neck (which would have been undoubtedly fatal). As he fell backwards out of the treacherous steed, he was knocked out cold, fractured his right arm in several places, gained a pretty sick lookin' scar across his chest and, needless to say, was traumatized of horse riding for the rest of his life.

The end.

Edited by driz

(edited)

For me, it's a tie between giving myself a concussion in the bathtub (went unconscious), literally tearing my lip open on a fence (yikes, that was gross), and almost drowning when I was really young. :D

Edited by Chrylestia600

When I was home alone when I was ten my two dogs started fighting so being the stupid kid I was I got on the floor and tried separating them but one of their claws got stuck in my shoulder and left a scar on my shoulder seven years later 

I broke my collar bone when I was being born. I've slightly fractured my toe before (galloping around the house like a horse...>.<), but I think the former was a worse break. Since I was only a baby, my collar bone healed pretty quickly. :P 

When I was really young, my family left me at a daycare where I apparently climbed up some stairs and fell several feet on my head. I almost died. It totally ruined my family's vacation. Lol.

I broke my wrist at soccer practice in 6th grade. It was my first time playing goalie, and to this day my last. :P Honestly, I hardly had any idea what I was doing... my wrist got smacked hard by a shot on goal and I literally collapsed onto the field from the pain. Made sure to stick to what I was best at, defense, after my wrist healed.

I've lost track of how many times I've nearly died of suffocation, but that's not much of an injury. One time when I was 11, I was playing in my step grandmother's backyard with my siblings. We had those stupid cheap toys you'd spin in your palms, and they'd launch up in the air only to slowly descend. One of them got stuck in a tree, so I went over to shake the tree, and one of my fingers got caught on a thorn because it was a grapefruit tree... those thorns were razor sharp, and I sliced my finger open on it. I remember thinking "ow, what the hell was..." then I looked at my hand and I was bleeding really badly. That's how I got my second scar, it took 4 months to heal, and I couldn't move that finger most of that time. It still hurts when I think about it, or look at my scar.

Another time I was riding my scooter around the neighborhood because I was one of those kids who actually liked going outside, and being active. I think this happened when I was 9 or 10. I saw that my neighbor's dog got out, he was tiny and I thought he might get hurt so I decided to guide him back inside. Next thing I knew their other dog got outside, a German Shepard. That dog knocked me onto my back and tried to bite me, I quickly punched the dog, got back on my feet, and ran as fast as I could, but that didn't stop him from coming at me again, and bit my arm. I screamed pretty loudly because of that which caught my neighbor's attention. She called her dog back and I just ran. I hid behind a wall, and looked at my arm which was covered in blood... I walked back home to my stepdad crying, and bloody... he was furious.

Now this actually didn't hurt as much, but I thought I'd share this story because its an interesting one. I was 14 at the time riding my bike around the park, we had this large grassy field that I loved riding through. Being the speed addict I was and still am to this day, I wanted to test my limits and go full speed. I reached about 17 MPH on the bike, and it was all going well until I somehow lost control. I had fallen off my bike at such a high speed and before I hit the ground I remember telling myself "I'm done for, no way in hell I'm getting out of here without breaking something or worse". I slid across the grass with my bike falling on top of me... when it all stopped I was confused... why wasn't I in pain? I layed there for about 5 minutes (with people walking past me not giving a shit as to what happened) thinking maybe I was just in shock and adrenaline was keeping me from feeling pain, but no, nothing. I pushed the bike off my back, and got back on my feet... no cuts, no scratches, no bruises, nothing broken... Only thing that hurt was my crotch, because I landed on it, but it was only minor pain that went away after a few minutes. To this day I consider this the luckiest I've ever been at dodging a bullet.

When I was nine, I slipped and sliced my forehead open on a refrigerator door hinge. I may or may not have almost bled out.

Another time I cut my leg open on a cinder block in the water at a beach. I probably should have gotten stitches for that one but we used butterfly bandages to keep it shut. That one wasn't so bad. Salt water helped and I could have had the beach shut down.

Another time I cut my hand open with a steak knife and missed a large vein by less than a quarter of an inch.

Then there was the time I was driving, and a truck driver backed halfway into my lane. I swerved out of the way and nearly crashed into a parked car for it. If I had hit the truck I would have gotten mangled. Maybe not even be here to tell about it.

Worst injury for me is pretty simple: getting testicular torsion twice.

For those of you who don't know what that is, it's when the tubes inside the testicles get twisted thanks to sudden movement The pain is immeasurably bad, I've NEVER been in so much pain than I was the first time it happened, even morphine couldn't stop it... which is saying something. The second time wasn't as bad, but apparently getting it twice is a one in a million chance... so I got the luck of the draw there. I wouldn't wish it on any man... it's just terrible.

Last summer I came home for a 2 week break from that  semester. my dad had me, my younger sister, and her BF help him re-roof the house. He wants to do it in corrugated metal sheets instead of shingles.  So about a week into the project, we have 3/4 of the roof covered. I lift a sheet up to my father whom is on the roof, I suddenly lose my footing, so I drop to my knee to keep from falling. At the same time my dad loses his grip on the metal sheet, so it drops. Guess  what it falls on?........ My exposed foot. I'm cursing, and dad rushes down the ladder. he helps me take my shoe off, and we discover the sheet tore through my shoe, sock, and cut down to the muscle of my foot. Blood is everywhere, my dad is freaking out. Mom comes to patch me up as well she can..... Paper stitches, gauze and several socks. I was unable to put much weight on that foot for 3 months, had to change the dressing twice a day to keep it from getting infected. It leaked a yellowish fluid for 5 months, and finally closed itself and became a scar after 6 months. It was quite the ordeal.

For me I was around 12 and was playing tag with a friend. I had one of those tool playsets that we're like 3-4 feet tall and my friend and I were climbing it and jumping off running In a circle chasing one another. Well I went to go jump off the top but my foot slipped and I fell hands first. My right wrist took the full force of the fall on the concrete causing a compression fracture. Took about 3 months to recover. That's the only major injury I have had in my life. ^-^ 

hmm the worst I can think of is pretty tame compared to a lot of you. lets see....

ginger cat bit into my hand when I was a kid, his canines nearly went through my hand x.x 

my dog was tied out in the garden with ROPE and did that dog thing of tangleing you up with the leash, he then bolted off chasing a cat with me in the middle of the mess of rope he made, the rope took my skin off the back of my knees - damn good thing my tendons were ok. Again I was a kid - this was a year after the cat bite. 

and i properly twisted my ankle playing a playground game, I swung around a pole and tripped up, causing me to be unable to walk for a few weeks x.x 

these all happened when I was a kid, Ive not had any other major injuries since. Ive never broken a bone either. 

(edited)

When I was a kid I was screwing around at home and I accidentally stepped on a curtain rod. Apparently I stepped on the sharp edge of it because when I took my sock off to inspect my foot my middle toe on my left foot was gushing blood. It didn't hurt but it was shocking and I had to be taken to the clinic. This other time when I was a young kid I was riding my bike around with a few friends. I decided I wanted to ride down the road on the hill next to us so i got to the top and proceeded to go down it. I started to pick up a lot of speed and I thought I was going to hit one of my friends so I wen't to apply the brakes however instead of hitting the back tire brake I accidently hit the front ones and I went flying over the handle bars and face planted into the concrete. That was not a fun day.

Edited by DayShadow