Yumekai

Would bronies count as furries?  

70 users have voted

1. 1. Would bronies count as furries?

• Yes
    • No

19 hours ago, Hebbocake said:

convenient.jpg.2db72c660c9d0ef036d9a5d404d90888.jpg

Also known as "The truth resists simplicity". 

The poll did not have an option that I can select. This isn't a binary answer. 

Would bronies count as furries?

It depends. Some are both and some aren't. The psychology of why this question is important to some is one that is always intriguing. Why is it important to some Furries to have Bronies seen as part of their fandom? What is the motivation? 

Very fascinating indeed.

• Brohoof 1

I'll side with the majority and say no, although there are many furries that are fans of the show. I do think that being a brony is a possible gateway to being a furry, though. Easier integration.

While they can be, especially with the characters being animal animal human based, not everyone cares about that for the show. It's like saying because I like Kurama, all Naruto fans are furries, when that is not true. Some may be, but that doesn't mean everyone is. They are two fandoms that overlap, but not equivalent. 

From my understanding, Furry means simply that you are a Fan of anthropomorphic Animals, which Mlp Fans basically are. That still doesnt mean that they are automatically interested in everything furry related or that they consider themselves as such, but..technically...they would be. I think.

Or at least in a small way. Or maybe it doesnt count, since they are just fans of the show and not directly fans, of the fact, that their are talking Ponys. I dont know.

Not all bronies are furries and not all furries are bronies. The statement doesn't make sense.

I've never had even the slightest interest in being a furry, but I do love the television show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

I don't love the show because the characters are talking animals, I love the show because it's funny and clean, has many good lessons to share and is generally just very well written. I also like the art style and the animation; again, not specifically because it contains talking animals but because it's very high quality.

So am I a furry? Not by any logic I can come up with.

• Brohoof 1

fully aware I might be wrong, but if you draw a paralel there are far more similarities between bronies and furries than between bronies and any other fandom.

the one difference is that furries are mostly independent from a specific show while bronies aren't. And before you start being pussyfarts and try put the brony community higher because no yiff (or however is that called) may I remind you ab 'clop'? Both communities have good, bad and questionable alike. It's a mark of a big, longlasting communty to have all kinds in its midst.

On 5/29/2017 at 7:46 PM, zerox said:

if we are already talking about furries I think we should mention otherkin/therians. haha they actually believe that they are dragons, wolves, foxes, big cats etc

I'm a very acceptable/tolerant person but this is just crazy.

most furries don't identify as their furry avatars tho, they are perfectly aware of their human condition, but enjoy using a specific design to represent them in certain situations.

(edited)

One of the biggest argument for "Bronies are Furries" is the following

- Bronies like a show about anthropomorphic ponies 

- Anthropomorphic ponies are anthropomorphic animals

- Furries like anthropomorphic animals

> Therefore, Bronies are furries 

Classic A=B, B=C, therefore A=C argument, doesn't always apply to everything.

But that aside, this argument missed one keyword: show. Furries are interested in the concept of anthropomorphic animals in general, while bronies are interested in a specific cartoon show. Sure, it contains anthropomorphic animals, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a show.

A simple hypothetical example would be if all the characters in the show were humans instead of anthropomorphic ponies. Would people still enjoy it? Probably, would these people be the same as furries? Most likely not.

But here's the thing, those who compare bronies with furries based solely on the anthropomorphic characters themselves are missing the point. It is the show that matters, not what composes of the characters. Sure, character is an important part of the show, and since the characters are anthropomorphic animals, some bronies can very much be furries. However, characters are not what all a show is about. While furries, in which its core is entirely based on the concept of appeal in anthropomorphic animals, is very much all about the character.

My conclusion: Bronies can be Furries, Furries can be Bronies, but Bronies are not Furries.

Edited by Solid
Grammar
  • Brohoof 4

You can be both a furry and MLP fan, but not necessarily. There are people who like certain shows that aren't furries. Furry is hobby and a fandom (not a lifestyle). Furries do have fursonas but it's like being an actress in a play. I'm aware I'm human that I will never be a tiger (my fursona) but it's fun to write stories, pretend, and have fun. Are there people who really think they are their fursona? Yes, they are the minority, but they exist.

I'd say that even liking some aspects of anthro (such as Disney) doesn't make a person a furry. Usually you want to have a fursona and participate in the community.

• Brohoof 1

On 5/28/2017 at 3:09 PM, Yumekai said:

Their similar in a way but also different i want opinion.

Well their are some bronies who are furies. But liking a show about talking animals doesn't make you a furry init of itself.

10 hours ago, PinkiePie97 said:

Don't anthropomorphic animals walk on 2 legs, though? The ponies walk on all fours.

That isn't how it's defined. The easiest way of looking at it is to take decidedly human traits and put them in an animal. The Ponies fit that perfectly. 

Not by default. Though there is plenty of overlap. I'm only a brony, but I have encountered plenty of people around MLP Forums who consider themselves both bronies and furries. Just like how nobody who really knows what they are talking about would call MLP: FiM an anime, even though there appears to be a ton of MLP fans who happen to also enjoy anime.

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

That isn't how it's defined. The easiest way of looking at it is to take decidedly human traits and put them in an animal. The Ponies fit that perfectly. 

Ah. Up until now, I've only seen that term used on characters that walk on 2 legs.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, gyashaa said:

Fan of both --> furry and brony

Naw man. You gots to have a name for the combo. How a bouts ... Furby?

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Yumekai said:

I don't know what more amusing here, that you quoted me saying something I didn't say (that quote box can be problematic), or that I quoted you saying nothing. Yep, I'm aware that it's a toy. It's who owns the toy now that is the interesting thing. :please:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
5 minutes ago, Jeric said:

It's who owns the toy now that is the interesting thing. :please:

Just went a wikapeidia it's Hasbro the one company that I love just about as much as I hate them... Now that I think about it you probably meant it ironically...

Edited by Yumekai

Generally speaking yes because of the anthropomorphism connection the fandom shares.

Technically speaking, no, since the term Brony is treated to identify males who are into the MLP franchise. Plus, most people who identify themselves as Furries can make a compelling argument where Bronies are not Furries since ponies don't count as furry animals.

TBH, I choose Yes because by the end of the day both sides are just as misunderstood if not even more so than those who are DnD fans, Trekkies, Otakus (except Weeaboos).

• 8 months later...