Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Roleplaying Cast Characters in EqE

Red Cedar

I want to start by making it perfectly clear I am loathe to make any kind of suggestion here. To this day I count first making a suggestion in this forum to be the worst thing I ever could have done on MLPForums and I have regretted doing so ever since. The only thing worse than the usual poor reception to any suggestion I make, whether helpfully or sarcastically, is how elements of what I do suggest have often been incorporated anyway with precisely zero acknowledgement. At least somebody ends up looking good for my efforts.

So for me to foolishly put my neck on the chopping block once again, it is because I believe what I am talking about is on the same scale as an African elephant occupying a very small apartment.

Roleplay participation in Equestrian Empire has dropped off a cliff, and was doing so before the switch in forum software which corrupted the character database. This has even been evident  among roleplayers who play cast characters, and have a (supposed) minimum post count per week that they are supposed to maintain. A quick glance at the dates of posts in many roleplay topics will tell you that has not been the case. Activity is nearly at a standstill. To stimulate more roleplay, especially the high-quality roleplay that EqE is supposed to attract, my suggestions, aside from the obvious one of fixing the character database as quickly as possible, are:

1. Abolish the minimum post count requirement for cast characters. Roleplaying is supposed to be enjoyable, not a chore, and it does no one a service when roleplayers are forced to make quick, brief, hastily thought-out posts to satisfy a minimum.
  2. Lift the cap on the number of people who can roleplay as any cast character. I've said before I have no intention on giving up playing Applejack, but how many other people who might have roleplayed in EqE didn't bother because their favourite character was taken and they can easily and readily play them in Everfree?

I have tried to increase roleplaying in EqE by offering to start a thread with anyone who wants to, especially those playing cast characters. Only two have taken me up on it. All I want to do is roleplay more, especially since that's all I can hope to get by posting here. I've done my bit as a simple user. It's the staff's turn.

• Brohoof 3

@Red Cedar,

Because there is quite a lot I'd like to discuss regarding this issue I'm going to get in touch with you about it personally if that's alright. Expect a PM from me soon.

It would be nice to see something done to fix this yeah. I think people just need help getting into EQE, I think one of the biggest issues is getting into it in the first place.

I mean there are currently 65847 character entries in Everfree.

And 271 in Equestrian Empire. 

I mean ya know ;)

• Brohoof 1

Timing is why I have not jumped in to RP. I finally have plenty of time devoted to quality writing, and find a tech issue blocking me. It's fine for now, since I busy myself with a personal Pony project of my own. 

10 hours ago, Red Cedar said:

Roleplay participation in Equestrian Empire has dropped off a cliff, and was doing so before the switch in forum software which corrupted the character database.

The decline of use is an issue. It does have a cause, and yes it does have a few solutions. The cause is ... complicated. To give a real perspective of why this is would invite drama and I'm not doing that. This is already going to be a pointed message as it is. 

The solution would require those with authority, access, and resources to actively listen, instead of waiting to respond. It requires an understanding of complex interactions and diplomacy. Some lack that understanding. The Adminstration of MLPF (the ones I know) are friendly to RP -- but lack access, resources, or even authority to make the changes needed to build a vibrant RP sub-community. The staff who work RP have the dedication to do it. Some there have a vision, but vision without support breeds dissatisfaction.  

If those in authority keep ignoring this element of the fandom and within their own community and staff, dismissing them as disgruntled, irrelevant, or 'not-on-board' -- the members who find that the RP here is no longer robust will go elsewhere. That, or create their own competing platform. 

Considering that the higher echelon individuals of the organization fancy themselves computer scientists and web developers -- I hope for their sake and future career plans -- that they use opportunities like this to learn from. The business and end-user side seems somewhat separated here. It needs a relationship councilor. ;)

You, Red Cedar, have tossed up ideas to solve an issue you care about. They aren't a long term fix, but you at least were the first user to publicly point to a major issue in RP -- declining use. 

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

One further suggestion related to the above: Lift the requirement for a picture, especially for an OC. Yes, Pony Creator is a wonderful thing and all but we want roleplay to be something that people can get into quickly, and start playing quickly, rather than making getting into EqE a chore in and of itself.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Red Cedar said:

Yes, Pony Creator is a wonderful thing and all

I can't believe a fellow Brony said that. That is the first time in years those words had passed these eyes. 

I agree actually. I mean ... a good RP is about how deftly one can coax language to dance and sing into form. It's about description and conjuring a mental image in your own mind and communicating that image to the reader -- a form of authorial telepathy as Stephen King says. You don't need an illustration to do that. 

Speaking of. I gots a date with a little something something in PM form. 

I'd like to enter my ponysona, but I'm not really sure on how to make the character sheet pass muster. I've read the guidelines but it all seems very daunting. :ooh:

On 6/10/2017 at 9:15 PM, Jeric said:

I can't believe a fellow Brony said that. That is the first time in years those words had passed these eyes.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Pony Creator is a great tool for people with no artistic skill (like me) who want to create a quick and simple reference image of what their OC would look like. I used it for the image in my signature (with a little help from Photoshop for the cutie mark). It just helps if the person using it has enough aesthetic sense not to make a neon lime green OC with a red and black mane that makes people's retinas bleed.