Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

the lack of set rules for magic workings, and explanation bothers me

ManaMinori

They have doe this in FiM, also, not setting any ruled for the world beforehand, so everything just feels limitless, and at times, its a real pain, because it feels contrived, all the magic shenanigans the characters pull. So I don't think we'll ever get such setup in EqG, because its far too late to.

But just a few of tht things I feel should be explained are:

why Celestia gave exposition int he first movie that she sent the mirror to Cadance's castle, but Sunset comes out of the mirror in Twilight's castle. I doubt the magic in the original mirror is turned off, so there are still two paths open, but yet Twilight's castle is more available because plot convenience, I suppose?

Why Sunset's magic is now red instead of turquoise like it was in the first movie.

The use of Equestrian magic in the human world, its consequences, and the damage its causing by having the portal remain open for magic to seep through, and merge the two worlds.

Human Sunset Shimmer.

The effects and consequences that result from having a pony in the human  world for too long, while the other AU is missing its resident.

But I fear that because of the "no rules, everything goes" tactic the staff have followed through on, as with FiM, we won't get an answer to anything, which is already sapping my interest in this franchise (the on; reason I'm here is for Shimmy, it seems)

(edited)

That's the nature of magic, but they have proof magic can be emotional with all bottled up and the Sombra episodes. Then Starlight and Trixie episodes have good moments to consider also. But if you want an in-depth physics tier explanation it won't happen. It seems like tho, if I had to guess, the horn's resonance tier is what causes stronger magic, like when lifting the Ursa Minor Twilight's magic was straining to generate a larger telekinetic field. Perhaps its like an engine. But frameworks and patterns and techniques, probably largely psychological, do go into magic. For the Rarity and Trixie getting OP artifacts sorta magic, it basically gives them what they want for magic, lowers the threshold they need to breach. Trixie was just freestyling stuff, and that's without rituals or technique or etc, but its also more than just knowledge oriented otherwise you could use the Alicorn Amulet one time to learn a bunch of spells then just do them after from memory.

Also I think its related to their cutie marks. I think, like psychological pruning and development, the mind is whats behind what types of magic ponies can do. When they get their mark, is the path their minds begin to take. Pruning is a psychological process where 'unneeded' informational branches are removed, and only the useful ones remain to develop and grow.

So cutie marks can be related to animals that imprint, and think others can be their mother like ducks because its whom they first see when they are born. Except for cutie marks its the thing that speaks closer to them, the recognition of it, as they tend to already be into it or good at it, then the cutie mark is just them realizing the fact.

So its about skills related to individual purpose or interest, the direction one's magic can go.

Now beyond pony magic, like the elements of harmony, yes, that's deus ex machina all the way lol.

With Eqg tho, its a movie, they have less time to establish whats possible and what isn't. Sirens were different species, that's the explanation there, Ponying up, that's just an extension or their version of the elements of harmony probably. Then the idea of corruption shows up alot, and corruption is basically misguided power.

So basically, yes, assume everything is possible, but whats likely is stuff that's already happened before, which are themes of corrupt power, and ponying up, or villains with unique powers, misused artifacts, Discovering virtues which grant super powers lol.

What makes magic appealing to a writer tho, is that magic helps people write more diverse material. And shiny lights are simpler than say copying medieval designs which requires extensive and broad research, instead they have a creative team do their own thing, which takes less time. Is my guess anyways.

Edited by CuriUndersXeno
  • Brohoof 1

17 minutes ago, CuriUndersXeno said:

That's the nature of magic, but they have proof magic can be emotional with all bottled up and the Sombra episodes. Then Starlight and Trixie episodes have good moments to consider also. But if you want an in-depth physics tier explanation it won't happen. It seems like tho, if I had to guess, the horn's resonance tier is what causes stronger magic, like when lifting the Ursa Minor Twilight's magic was straining to generate a larger telekinetic field. Perhaps its like an engine. But frameworks and patterns and techniques, probably largely psychological, do go into magic. For the Rarity and Trixie getting OP artifacts sorta magic, it basically gives them what they want for magic, lowers the threshold they need to breach. Trixie was just freestyling stuff, and that's without rituals or technique or etc, but its also more than just knowledge oriented otherwise you could use the Alicorn Amulet one time to learn a bunch of spells then just do them after from memory.

Also I think its related to their cutie marks. I think, like psychological pruning and development, the mind is whats behind what types of magic ponies can do. When they get their mark, is the path their minds begin to take. Pruning is a psychological process where 'unneeded' informational branches are removed, and only the useful ones remain to develop and grow.

So cutie marks can be related to animals that imprint, and think others can be their mother like ducks because its whom they first see when they are born. Except for cutie marks its the thing that speaks closer to them, the recognition of it, as they tend to already be into it or good at it, then the cutie mark is just them realizing the fact.

So its about skills related to individual purpose or interest, the direction one's magic can go.

Now beyond pony magic, like the elements of harmony, yes, that's deus ex machina all the way lol.

With Eqg tho, its a movie, they have less time to establish whats possible and what isn't. Sirens were different species, that's the explanation there, Ponying up, that's just an extension or their version of the elements of harmony probably. Then the idea of corruption shows up alot, and corruption is basically misguided power.

So basically, yes, assume everything is possible, but whats likely is stuff that's already happened before, which are themes of corrupt power, and ponying up, or villains with unique powers, misused artifacts, Discovering virtues which grant super powers lol.

What makes magic appealing to a writer tho, is that magic helps people write more diverse material. And shiny lights are simpler than say copying medieval designs which requires extensive and broad research, instead they have a creative team do their own thing, which takes less time. Is my guess anyways.

You explained it better than I did!

To me, magic is a tool that can be both a good thing or a bad thing! As long as it's used responsibly, both Equestria and the Equestria Girls world will be fine!