Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Rights Of MLP Are Purchased From Hasbro And They Reboot FIM. What's your reaction?

OmegaBeamOfficial

So I'm bored and have nothing better to do so here's a little something for people to think about. This is a scenario that probably won't ever happen, It's just something funny to think about. So imagine that Friendship Is Magic ends, and years after It's conclusion, Hasbro, almost going bankrupt, is forced to sell the rights to some of It's franchises in order to keep itself running. The rights to MLP get sold in the process and because whoever bought it as a company have noticed the massive positive reception and sweet sweet money MLP FIM printed they decide to do a reboot. Not a new generation, just a new version of the Friendship Is Magic continuity. Personally I think if that happened in some screwed up weird world where Hasbro eventually loses success, if they rebooted it really depends on how much talent the people working on it have, and whether people actually put the effort in rather than just doing it for the cold hard cash. I know Hasbro crams a lot of things in the show to sell merch but at least they're honest about it and the writers actually make it fit into the plot. God knows what other companies would do with FIM in It's possession, the reboot would have like a 10% chance of being good. I'm not a fan of change, but I would rather have Hasbro make a new generation of characters and a new world, rather than have the current one left in the hands of someone who could screw up a new version faster than this series is going into seasonal rot. What do you think?

• Brohoof 1

If this situation happens hopefully I end up as one of the head writers of the series as based on my theories on MLP I could bring them to action. I would probably have a side series on YouTube that's a QNA show with my OC Techno where he explains the exact workings of past situations and scenarios in the show. It would be for sure interesting. :)

• Brohoof 2

It would depend on the company buying Hasbro.

I could see a good company like Disney buying Hasbro. In which case , I'd be pretty overjoyed at the idea of FiM being rebooted into the Disney Franchise. If it were other companies though like Nickelodeon....I'd just never watch the new Reboot....and consider what was the last season of non-reboot FiM to be the true last season of Ponies. 

• Brohoof 2

On 2017-06-01 at 2:04 PM, Phirun Natela said:

Disney could screw it up pretty easily though, they're far from perfect.

Perhaps...but considering their track record...They'd probably be our best bet.

• Brohoof 1

I would be confused if the whole scenario actually happened.

But if it were to happen, than it would probably be Disney who would purchase the rights to MLP and create a new series.

And it's not like that would have to be a bad thing seeing how Disney in this decade has made shows like Gravity Falls, Milo Murphy's Law, Star Vs the Forces of Evil, Tangled the Series, and the upcoming Ducktales reboot that looks like it will be really good.

• Brohoof 1

On 2017-06-01 at 12:03 PM, Techno Universal said:

If this situation happens hopefully I end up as one of the head writers of the series as based on my theories on MLP I could bring them to action. I would probably have a side series on YouTube that's a QNA show with my OC Techno where he explains the exact workings of past situations and scenarios in the show. It would be for sure interesting. :)

I could see the concept working well, as long as the theories are at least solid to the point they're believable, I don't mean to bash all theory makers in general but some of them come up with some reeeaaalll stupid stuff. I'm not a fan of just inserting OC's into the franchise but again, as long as they do it well I don't see any harm in it.

On 2017-06-01 at 12:37 PM, TheGOAT said:

Nothing, because that would never happen, unless someone buys Hasbro.

I never said it would happen, It's just kind of a "what if" scenario I came up with.

On 2017-06-01 at 12:56 PM, Phirun Natela said:

Not much, cross my fingers It'll be good and otherwise.. oh well, too bad. It'll probably never happen unless Hasbro is purchased by a different company. What won't happen for a long time because they have money printers like the Transformers movies / Transformers brand. 

I guess in some cases It's better to chill back and not worry about the situation much. If something turns out terrible, it just turns out terrible, move on with life. That's a good philosophy now I think about it.

On 2017-06-01 at 1:58 PM, Vulcan said:

I could see a good company like Disney buying Hasbro. In which case , I'd be pretty overjoyed at the idea of FiM being rebooted into the Disney Franchise. If it were other companies though like Nickelodeon....I'd just never watch the new Reboot....and consider what was the last season of non-reboot FiM to be the true last season of Ponies. 

On 2017-06-01 at 2:06 PM, TheGOAT said:

Disney would erase the Brony fandom within days.

On 2017-06-01 at 2:06 PM, Vulcan said:

Perhaps...but considering their track record...They'd probably be our best bet.

On 2017-06-01 at 4:02 PM, cmarston1 said:

I would be confused if the whole scenario actually happened.

But if it were to happen, than it would probably be Disney who would purchase the rights to MLP and create a new series.

And it's not like that would have to be a bad thing seeing how Disney in this decade has made shows like Gravity Falls, Milo Murphy's Law, Star Vs the Forces of Evil, Tangled the Series, and the upcoming Ducktales reboot that looks like it will be really good.

Wow, a lot of people are betting on Disney huh? I guess it makes sense considering they're a big company that obsesses over buying out properties. But I wouldn't trust them myself, mainly because they bought Star Wars and look what happened to Star Wars. I totally side with Vulcan on the Nickelodeon thing, as much as I love the character, I would NOT want them to make something like "Planet Derpy" out of it which terrifies me. Disney screw up a lot, but I feel they've made a comeback in recent years, in fact i prefer their modern stuff over the old stuff, I doubt they would erase the brony fandom though, that's overkill. But then again the Disney Channel has barely any shows of quality on there. Gravity Falls is over, Ducktales I don't trust for a second because look at other recent cartoon reboots and I guess Star is all they have going for them right now. Nah, I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world if Disney got it, It's certainly better than other companies for this sort of thing. Because at least GF ended on the creator's own word, channels like Nickelodeon or (I'm really surprised these guys haven't been brought up yet) CN can't even keep their OWN IP's good so how the hell would I trust them with FIM. What I'm trying to say in short is Disney is the lesser of the evils, but they wouldn't have a guaranteed success rate with FIM either.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
27 minutes ago, OmegaBeamOfficial said:

(I'm really surprised these guys haven't been brought up yet) CN

Speaking of CN, They've done really well for the passed couple of years being the Bulwark of Western Cartoons with "Depth" but now suddenly...They're attempting to shift their focus from Subtle Depth and Exceptional Plot to Cheap Cartoons that can be made for pennies on the dollar....I'm not sure if It's out of necessity or greed but it just feels like they're getting lazy.  

I wouldn't want MLP to be bought by them. The state they're in now feels like the state Nickelodeon was in a couple years before the quality sloped downwards....I'm not sure if the same will happen for CN but it's definitely concerning. 

Edited by Vulcan
  • Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Vulcan said:

Speaking of CN, They've done really well for the passed couple of years being the Bulwark of Western Cartoons with "Depth" but now suddenly...They're attempting to shift their focus from Subtle Depth and Exceptional Plot to Cheap Cartoons that can be made for pennies on the dollar....I'm not sure if It's out of necessity or greed but it just feels like they're getting lazy.  

I wouldn't want MLP to be bought by them mainly because the state they're in now feels like the state Nickelodeon was in a couple years before the quality sloped downwards....I'm not sure if the same will happen for CN but it's definitely concerning. 

I don't hate CN as a company, in fact I loved the sudden WAVE of amazing cartoons that came out after their last failure, Adventure Time, Regular Show, Steven Universe, these have all been some of my favourite cartoons of my life and that's just a few. But all that does is make the fact they're making tons of new really bad cartoons more painful because I can know they've done better. I'm still really bitter about the Ben 10 and PPG reboots as well as Teen Titans GO, It's all garbage to me and when you look at the originals you see not garbage but It's like they can't make not garbage anymore. It worries and angers me at the same time, I would NEVER put FIM in their hands with the opportunity, not right now anyway, a few years ago, maybe I would.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, OmegaBeamOfficial said:

What are you talking about?

They already do.

hqdefault.jpg 

If CN got it tho, it might actually end up being good. But they could always you know, ruin it like Teen Titans Go, to appeal to less mature audiences. But CN has crazier stuff for shows, so I know mlp then wouldn't be as slow paced as it is now. And forget about nickelodeon bleh.

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, CuriUndersXeno said:

hqdefault.jpg 

If CN got it tho, it might actually end up being good. But they could always you know, ruin it like Teen Titans Go, to appeal to less mature audiences. But CN has crazier stuff for shows, so I know mlp then wouldn't be as slow paced as it is now. And forget about nickelodeon bleh.

Really? I think the pacing in MLP is fine, not too fast, not too slow.

5 hours ago, Vulcan said:

NOT Disney! I keep seeing them ruin bought projects! You know how much stuff Disney made uncanon in the Star Wars universe to make way for crappier versions? Whatever Hasbro does, DO NOT SELL TO DISNEY!

• Brohoof 1

If anyone was to buy it probably wouldn't be Disney just saying.

It would probably be an anime network or something and they would fully embrace the brony fandom.

Probably reboot as an adult anime or something

• Brohoof 1

If Disney bought it they would probably just shelve it as an individual property as they do a lot of things and just merge it into their other properties... so if you want more twilight you have to take Donald, Goofy and Mickey with her.

To be honest I cannot see another company taking the reigns and knowing how to run it properly.... too many would want to make it THEIR vision, which more than likely would not mesh with what people have grown to expect from the show. And after they screwed it up, instead of realizing their mistake and fixing it, the company would do what 99% of companies do... blame the writers and bury it claiming no one likes it anymore.

• Brohoof 1

I want FIM rebooted; it being like G1 transformers and endlessly remade and re-examined is my pipe dream. I honestly wouldn't mind if FIM ended right now and they made a FIM reboot right now, so long as it was good.

The ISSUE here is not that it gets rebooted, but WHO is rebooting? are they a quality team? Will they give the characters care and focus? Like, if we get something like Legendary defender voltron for a reboot, that's great, but if we get Voltron: the third dimension for carrying things on, well, damnit.

• Brohoof 1

Nobody is perfect, but they do have recent buzz and successes showing their television brands can deliver at varying demographic groups. 

Tangled, Star vs., Rebels, and the upcoming Duck Tales show that they can guide great animation (and with Duck Tales and Rebels) appeal to an existing fan base giving them what they want and more -- and that is just staying in the product that has some appeal to older fans. 

Disney is arguably better than Hasbro at listening to fans without pandering, marketing, and merchandising. 

Not perfect, but an upgrade in almost every measurable way. 

• Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, MegaSean45 said:

NOT Disney! I keep seeing them ruin bought projects! You know how much stuff Disney made uncanon in the Star Wars universe to make way for crappier versions? Whatever Hasbro does, DO NOT SELL TO DISNEY!

I pointed this out before when I said I would be worried if Disney bought it, however I've come to realise there's something I haven't thought about there. Here's the thing, MLP has WAY less stuff in It's canon and isn't as confusing as star wars. To my knowledge there's the show, Equestria Girls, the merch and the comics, that's it. I'm not saying that would put Disney in the right but It's something to think about.

10 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

Conspiracy theory, much?

Eh, less of a conspiracy theory, more of a joke friend.

9 hours ago, Firedog said:

If anyone was to buy it probably wouldn't be Disney just saying.

It would probably be an anime network or something and they would fully embrace the brony fandom.

Probably reboot as an adult anime or something

As much as I would LOVE to see an anime style MLP, I doubt an anime network would ever touch it.

9 hours ago, GrimGrimoire said:

If Disney bought it they would probably just shelve it as an individual property as they do a lot of things and just merge it into their other properties... so if you want more twilight you have to take Donald, Goofy and Mickey with her.

To be honest I cannot see another company taking the reigns and knowing how to run it properly.... too many would want to make it THEIR vision, which more than likely would not mesh with what people have grown to expect from the show. And after they screwed it up, instead of realizing their mistake and fixing it, the company would do what 99% of companies do... blame the writers and bury it claiming no one likes it anymore.

Oh, right, like they did with Disney Infinity? Because that turned out SO well... I understand the benefits of merging your properties as long as you've still got the original IP doing It's own thing as well, but Disney take way too many liberties with that sort of thing, they sunk tons of IP's into that game which probably could've had their own games instead.

The sad part is It's not them coming up with a vision, It's someone taking a vision, changing it (almost never in a good way) and hoping people will see it as theirs now and that It'll still be successful.

6 hours ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

I want FIM rebooted; it being like G1 transformers and endlessly remade and re-examined is my pipe dream. I honestly wouldn't mind if FIM ended right now and they made a FIM reboot right now, so long as it was good.

The ISSUE here is not that it gets rebooted, but WHO is rebooting? are they a quality team? Will they give the characters care and focus? Like, if we get something like Legendary defender voltron for a reboot, that's great, but if we get Voltron: the third dimension for carrying things on, well, damnit.

Eh, I don't know about that. That's one thing I've always criticised about Transformers as an IP, they keep rebooting it too damn fast before the current version has time to simmer, and as far as I'm concerned it never gets as good as gen 1 was, but that's just me.

Sorry if I seem a little pessimistic about this whole thing, like I said in the OP, I'll take a new generation over a reboot (and I'm one of the people who are glad FIM's been running so long so that's saying something), and that's more or less because I've grown a bitter hatred towards them over the past few years because they're barely ever done right. Most TV networks I know can't make a good reboot to save their life, that's just how I see things now. I honestly can't think of any team, even after all this discussion, who doesn't have a chance of fucking up.

1 hour ago, OmegaBeamOfficial said:

As much as I would LOVE to see an anime style MLP, I doubt an anime network would ever touch it.

If MLP were to ever be sold, it would be sold at big money. Any company that would invest big money into MLP is gonna make sure they know what to do with it.

I can't picture a company like Disney acquiring it simply because they know they would have to let the fandom exists.  They protect there trademarks like crazy. They know MLP just wouldn't work with them and would be wildly unpopular because of there extreme trademark protections. 

One reason I can picture a big anime company to buy it is because it's right up there line.

They know about fandoms and such. They know how to make money with these things. 

It would be a big investment but I think a big enough anime company would definitely be interested and see the potential for huge profits.

• Brohoof 1