Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your Religion?

Rozylee

41 minutes ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

I'll only accept a forgiving God as my savior.

Any religion that misuses its teachings against people that they hate is no real real religion in my Book!

I remember years ago when I was in denial about my atheism (a personal state I was in, yes), I tried so hard to be a Progressive Christian. Later in that phase when I started not being able to rationalize the morality of the religion anymore it came to the point in my mind that if a God is against homosexuality than that God either isn't real or isn't worth worshiping. There is absolutely nothing wrong with homosexuality from any rational view on morality. Once I delved further into the Bible and saw it for what it was I quickly declared that the God wasn't worth worshiping at all, not just for homosexuality but many other reasons.

So, go you! Our rational view on morality is so much more important than what some people wrote in a collection of books thousands of years ago. They can claim a God enshrined it, but there is no way in the world a rational, just God would ever make the laws in the book, ever.

• Brohoof 1

When I was a young kid I was a Christian but it was mostly meaningless. Only followed it because it is what I was indoctrinated with in my youth. When I hit my teens I lost intrest in the whole thing and became an Atheist.

• Brohoof 3

I was christian orthodox until 24, the dogmatic version since 12, thanks to my mom... around 23 I got sick of something no doctor could find out the cause of, so I did some soulsearching... comes out I was feeling guilty for eating meat on a wednesday because it was the only day of the week I was passing by my fave hot dog place, and my body reacted to my self-flagelation... I stopped getting sick after I managed to break that chain, and it made me realize how horrible christianity is to its folowers really, how much it counts on guilt to keep them in check, and how toxic that was...

then I started researching ab the bible and the christian core beliefs and I realized they were all made just to keep people subservient and in check, which disappointed me terribly because I hoped they would be about God and reaching spiritual harmony, above wordly matters.

I am now a deist, I have shaken off most of all religious practices and try to find my way to the divinity in my own way, independent of priests or saint written books. I still celebrate christmas since I like the holiday itself, tho I'm not letting it get flooded with religious symbols and traditiona any more,  and I married in the orthodox church so I could let mom be happy and at peace, but I no longer go to church or keep religious holidays, nor confess, and it's brought a lot of peace in my life (as long as I don't hang out too long with my mom who keeps trying to convince me to confess everytime I visit home XD )

I keep researching on divinity and ethics, but I have a more practical approach to things than before...

Edited by javaleen
grammar
  • Brohoof 1

You know, when people ask me what type of religion I practice, it makes me feel ashamed to say Christianity. While i've had my downtimes with it, I still try my best to show a better example of what a Christian should be. It angers me to see Christians try to force people to convert to the religion, when even the Bible doesn't state for that to be done. The bible states for the word to be spread to others when the opportunity is there (In my own words of course) not to shove it down their throats. Another thing that makes me feel ashamed is due to all of the ridiculousness that are going on in churches now-a-days. Its just sad to see all of these crazy things happening and such, but then again, the Bible said that things like this would happen as well, is not a coincidence.

EDIT: There's also the practices that are just ridiculous. The Bible is divided into two sections. The Old Testament and New Testament. All of the practices that were done in the old testament don't apply to us in the new testament, however, some churches keep practicing those, which is just not even required. Its a little bit hard to explain this without probably making someone feel bad.

But that's just me stating a bit of my opinion, I respect what people decide to follow. That's why there's freedom of Speech...In the US at lest, i don't know about other countries

• Brohoof 3

10 hours ago, Glacies Frost said:

I'm a Wiccan, if that means anything.

What Tradition (if applicable) are you focused on, if I may ask?

Hey guys!

As has been stated above; this type of thread has appeared many times in the past. Ordinarily, they are sentenced to the Debate Pit due to their often heated discussion, however as that Section has a number of posting restrictions in place for newer members, we decided to allow a Religious discussion thread to be maintained here so long as the debating was kept to a minimum. I'm going to go ahead and merge this thread with that older one, however I would like to remind you all to remember to please stick to the topic question and do your best to keep religious debates to a minimum. If you would like to debate that, their are plenty of threads still active within Debate Pit for you to do so. Let's keep it civil in here! Please! :D

Thanks!

• Brohoof 3

Just now, Radience said:

I don't know really. I don't practice anything actively, but I believe in some form of 'creator' out there. I have not a clue who it could be, I believe in Karma though. 

Wouldn't that mean you're agnostic? as in you don't follow something but believe there's a higher being? i think that's what agnostic is right?

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Heart Container said:

Wouldn't that mean you're agnostic? as in you don't follow something but believe there's a higher being? i think that's what agnostic is right?

I think so, but I'm not really sure. 

1 minute ago, Radience said:

I think so, but I'm not really sure. 

yeah i'm about 80% correct that agnostic means that, but of course, i could be wrong, but some research doesn't hurt anyone. Though at this current moment i can't do it as i'm stuck on my phone that seems to be throwing a fit lol

5 hours ago, FemaleIntrovert1995 said:

I can't tell if you're being rude, or I'm not supposed to take you seriously. I have no clue. If anything, no offense, I find you a tiny bit annoying. I'm not being mean, I'm being honest. 

My recommendation Mademoiselle is for you to pick the rude option. I'm just being silly is all. That's ok if you find me annoying. After all, I have an avatar of a hamster that is just begging to be punched/kicked in the hamster nuts :lol:.

IRL, I'm just as much of an introvert as you are, but now that I'm taking psychiatric therapy, I'm also trying my best to be an ambivert. And yes I come across as a rude person, but hey that's who I am deep down as a person.

Honesty is appreciated by the likes of you, but be careful for being too honest. I can take your sense of honesty since I can handle it (Also, YAAAAAAYY!!! I'm annoying), but I fear that you might offend somebody with that kind of honesty. It's important to hold back the truth. I'm telling you this from personal experience. ;)

3 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

Hey guys!

As has been stated above; this type of thread has appeared many times in the past. Ordinarily, they are sentenced to the Debate Pit due to their often heated discussion, however as that Section has a number of posting restrictions in place for newer members, we decided to allow a Religious discussion thread to be maintained here so long as the debating was kept to a minimum. I'm going to go ahead and merge this thread with that older one, however I would like to remind you all to remember to please stick to the topic question and do your best to keep religious debates to a minimum. If you would like to debate that, their are plenty of threads still active within Debate Pit for you to do so. Let's keep it civil in here! Please! :D

Thanks!

Thank you

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Heart Container said:

No, that's not quite what agnosticism means. Agnosticism has nothing to do with whether or not someone follows a particular religion or not. Agnosticism is an adjective that you stick in front of either theism or atheism that denotes that you admit that there is room for uncertainty. It means you have a belief, but you don't claim to know that belief is 100% true.

4 hours ago, Titans08Mariota said:

Baptist Christian and I love it! I hope no one argues about religion on the forums though.. that's annoying..

Ehh... too late on that remark. There have been moments where people have argued about religion on MLP Forums, so this is tame stuff.

• Brohoof 1

Complete atheist here. Definitely feel that religion is unnecessary. 

7 hours ago, Titans08Mariota said:

Baptist Christian and I love it! I hope no one argues about religion on the forums though.. that's annoying..

Then I would avoid the debate pit....

• Brohoof 1

Well I was stoutly atheist: I once thought god's are entirely impossible, and there are well over a thousand religions out there, not counting denominations, sects, etc. and it just makes no sense that only one of those is entirely correct and all others are false.

Nowadays I'm an Agnostic-Cosmicist: I'm open to the possibility that some godlike being(s) could exist, or that there is a greater purpose to the universe, however I still hold that no religion in the world has got it right; why would a god waste it's time telling us puny mortals about things too big for us to fully comprehend? That's the cosmicism. Cosmicism is the belief that there's a greater meaning to all this (in my case; if there's a greater meaning to this), but mankind will never be able to comprehend or probably even know it's a thing, so why bother worrying about it?