Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your Religion?

Rozylee

20 hours ago, lomk said:

Atheist.

I was raised a Christian. Southern Baptist, to be specific. But I started my drift away from the church beginning around the time I moved out of my parents' house in 2012. Over that time, I began to challenge my beliefs. I was doing things and adopting attitudes that didn't sit well with me. I also began to find God not as all forgiving and merciful, but as petty and cruel. That's a conversation for another thread. Also, the messages delivered to me hardly connected. When they did, they didn't fill me with hope and anticipation, but with anxiety. It was because the idea of heaven didn't fill me with those good feelings that I spent a lot of time feeling defective. I pondered for a long time why God created me this way. Why when I prayed, I never heard back (that is if he speaks to you). It was a rough time for me.

So as of last year, I outed myself as a full blown atheist to a few select people who I knew would take it well. I got tired of sitting on the fence. I'm not interested in church or God or any of that. He doesn't speak to me because he doesn't exist. I've found no reason in other areas of life to believe he exists either. 

So anyway, that's my spiel. 

Is atheist a religion? And atheism means you dont believe in gods.... So why say god is cruel.... When there is no such thing?....

*Double checking what eithism is....*

Agnostic atheist, but I love learning about various spiritual beliefs! There's a lot of fascinating stuff to look into, and I like the historical and cultural significance of it all. :twi:

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Kujamih said:

Is atheist a religion? And atheism means you dont believe in gods.... So why say god is cruel.... When there is no such thing?....

*Double checking what eithism is....*

So this guy I found on YouTube put it so well that I have to steal it: Atheism is a religion as much as not collecting stamps is a hobby. So to answer the question, no, atheism is not a religion as it's the complete lack of it. 

When I say God is cruel, etc, I mean were he real, the bible outlines (in my view) times in which he is cruel, unjust, merciless, and inconsistent, but I was always told he was none of those things. 

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

2 hours ago, Kujamih said:

* finished a bit of research in aethism*

Maybe you're agnostic @lomk

Nah, I wouldn't consider myself the least bit agnostic. I still find myself wondering if there's a higher power causing bad things to happen to me, but really, I know there isn't. This is what I consider magical thinking left over from all my years being in the church. They get you when you're young and your mind is malleable and spend years brainwashing you. It's work to deny God every day, lol. 

1 hour ago, Kujamih said:

@lomk

Sorry for the rough journey you had in religion though... And i guess i ahouldve finished reading what you said aswell hehehe XD nevermind some of my comments.

Hey, no worries! We're all only human here. 

I don't hate religion, btw. I understand it gives people hope thinking that there's something on the other side. There's something greater than this. There's not, but if that helps someone carry on another day and gives them purpose (without infringing on the rights of others, I might add), then power to them. 

Edited by lomk

Yeeeaaahhh religion... Or real world.... Dang it am i right? May it be religion or not if the teacher teaches crap the student only learns crap from it. Politics... Pssshhh ... Work .... Ehhhhh religion....  Martial arts.... Alot of fakes really hard to find the roght road to walk on.... Luckily i have walked the road of stupid.....

Ignorance is bliss

OK, so after some thought due to gut feelings pulling me back towards it, I'm attempting to pursue Hellenic paganism once again; it helps a friend of mine has also been drawn to paganism, and has been helpfully encouraging me.

To elaborate, I now consider myself an agnostic theist - meaning while I believe in the Greek gods and goddesses, the existence thereof is (currently) unknown and unknowable from our present baseline of knowledge about the universe.

• Brohoof 1

I remember posting here again but my answer remains the same.

I am agnostic and will always be. How can we as humans know for sure that a god exists, but also how can we know for sure that a god doesn't? In my rational mind I simply don't know the answer and to think that there have been wars over this stuff is horrifying. Why would someone want to follow a god who condemns those who don't follow him to hell and to burn for eternity? That is more of a celestial North Korea if anything. The Bible is just a story or events mistranslated over thousands of years and to think that there are humans who live by it like a code and with no room for any other thought or open minded is pathetic if you ask me.

I believe that if there is a god, if there is truth within the bible it isn't an all knowing god that created the universe just for us as it is a very close minded belief that we are the only creatures in the universe. I rather believe that it was extraterrestrial intervention in our society and the primitive peoples saw those who came here as gods because they didn't know any better. 

If there is a god, where did god come from? If there is no god, how does everything exist from mere chance? Both of these answers are equally dis-satisfying to me. I do believe in an after life. We simply can't know the vastness of the universe because we are still in the infancy of examining the stars and answers. 

I am anti-atheist and anti-theist as well. Both of them are close minded and don't realize that we as humans simply can't know the answer, at least, not yet. Religion has been used to chain the human mind since the dawn of time, however, limiting ourselves to physical studies (such as science) provides us a narrow view of the universe as a whole. The universe is more than just atoms and molecules. There has to be something more out there, I just don't know what it is. I believe in other civilizations and their visitations here on Earth although the extent of which I will never know. I believe in an afterlife but I don't know what it is. I also believe in ghosts, paranormal, etc. I also don't believe that when you die you just cease existing, that I cannot fathom.

You have all these different branches of religions. How can any of them be true if they differ so much and kill each other over differences in their texts and such? What god would want that? I don't understand that, if there is a god of that sort I would rather rule in hell than serve in heaven. I am not submitting to a tyrannical dictator in a land of a celestial North Korea.

Why limit yourself to atheism or theism? Why not free your mind and just ask yourself, are you happy with what you believe? I am happy with what I believe. I do my best to do the right thing, not because god tells me, but because I know it in my heart that I am doing the right thing. If there is a god, let us ask ourselves, would god want to create only one race? No, it wouldn't. Why an almost infinite space for once race on a spec orbiting a random star? That makes zero sense. There must be SOMETHING out there.

a_blindspot_the_size_of_the_cosmos_by_am

truth_is_fireproof_by_americandreaming_d

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Kujamih said:

Sooo you have a religion then XD

It’s easier to tell people I’m a pagan than actually explain my beliefs and what I do. Certainly not that I haven’t tried. When coworkers found out I’m not a Christian a couple wanted to know why and what I was. The more details I gave the more of a headache the situations turned into. I realized the less information and the more simplified answer I give the better.

Now people who I’m friends with or who seem cool/open I have no problems talking about it with. It’s rare to find this sort of thing with people who aren’t my friends. Typically it’s people wanting to argue with me or try to convert me. We aren’t supposed to talk about religion at work for this very reason. Same with politics. 

If we want get technical then eclectic Neo-pagan because I don’t follow a strict structure or rules. I do what I want and how I want. 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't hold religious beliefs and techncially a atheist or agnostic or whatever. But I do have my own sort of world view on stuff ofc. Some of it has a bit of similarity to buddhism though some is very much anti that lol 

I'm not materialist-reductionist or physicalist. 

Edited by flurry

I'm a cultural Christian I guess. It's not whether God exists for me, but what God wants. Religion cannot be a moral compass though, even if it is a good moral motivator. The claims of the Church that I am familiar with (Anglican) are therefore difficult to accept, but I turn a haughty high church eye on the others because I'm a big snob :P

Only recently begun to consider myself Christian tbh. My country, the music of Sufjan and the beauty of the churches near me all pushed me that way.

Ursa Major by Sufjan Stevens

For the love of God
In the shade of Ursa Major
For the life of me
I can't account for human nature
For your information
I'm not one for controversy
So I ask forgiveness now
Lord, reveal yourself in mercy
Call off all emergency
And look at things the way I see them
For the beauty of the Earth
It shows us wisdom, love, and rebirth

[Chorus]
I wanna love you (I wanna love you), I wanna love you (I wanna love you)
Until the earth runs through it
And I'm definitely gonna do it

[Verse 2]
For the love of mercy
In the face of all this danger
For the most of all my life
I feel as if I were a stranger
And all the consequences
From the throes of our persuasion
Lord, I ask for patience now
Call off all of your invasion
There's is beauty where I see it
Everywhere that I can feel it
I am on the verge of sorrow
Tell me, Lord, which road to follow

[Chorus]

• Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...
4 minutes ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

My family is Protestant but I myself am an atheist. :coco:

that's intresting, we kinda the other way round lol

my family are athiest, and I'm christian (except I'm roman catholic, not protestant)

4 hours ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

My family is Protestant but I myself am an atheist. :coco:

That sounds a lot like me. But thankfully religion just isn't a big part of my family's life anymore, making it very easy for me to blend in. My childhood was different, lots of forced church services which bored me to tears.

12 minutes ago, Envy said:

That sounds a lot like me. But thankfully religion just isn't a big part of my family's life anymore, making it very easy for me to blend in. My childhood was different, lots of forced church services which bored me to tears.

My parents never had me attend church or anything, thankfully. I am glad that in my immediate family they are not radical Christians. I have not been to a church in a few years at the very least. 

• Brohoof 1

I have no religion. I will not tie myself to the chains of others, for I am a unique individual and I will walk life as I please. I believe in afterlife, ghosts, aliens, etc, so I guess you could consider that part of what I believe in terms of the question.

• Brohoof 1