Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Hey all, 

I, and I imagine a lot of others, would like to see a forum on the topic of discussing jobs or the lack of: coping with a job, switching career paths, or hunting for a job. For Bronies looking for a job or looking to expand their network, this forum can be helpful. Resume feedback or LinkedIn exchanges would also take place here. 

The forums under Octavia's Hall may be great for those who make a living from artistic pursuits, but what about those in the "non artistic" fields? 

In a way, this can be similar to Life Advice, but from what I've seen, Life Advice has been about school, relationships, and mental health. I imagine this would belong in Beyond Equestria.

Thanks! 

• Brohoof 3

I believe that various "How to adult" topics would be fine in various other forums areas -- including job search and career advice. 

I have long wanted to do a series of topics along these lines about college (particularly graduate studies), crafting resumes, how to network, portfolio creation, personal finance, etc ... but I figured that the material would be too dry for most. 

Also, a lot of decent information on these topics already exist online, the trick is weeding out the information that is not applicable to the individual. 

One idea is creating a "How To Adult" subforum connected to Life Advice. Have one focus on interpersonal/relationship/mental health topics and the other about the mundane yet equally important functional parts of going about life. 

Questions about taxes, University life, job hunting, interviewing, career, etc would be better there. 

• Brohoof 4

1 hour ago, Blue Diamond said:

I have long wanted to do a series of topics along these lines about college (particularly graduate studies), crafting resumes, how to network, portfolio creation, personal finance, etc ...

And building a frickin' CV, which is a huge pain in the ass if you haven't done it before.

Life Advice would probably be the section for discussing career preparations and decisions. There is the caveat of the minimum 40 posts required to post in LA; however, given the importance of these topics, that's a fair demand, I think.

• Brohoof 3

22 minutes ago, Yellow Diamond said:

And building a frickin' CV, which is a huge pain in the ass if you haven't done it before.

Life Advice would probably be the section for discussing career preparations and decisions. There is the caveat of the minimum 40 posts required to post in LA; however, given the importance of these topics, that's a fair demand, I think.

I honestly wonder how many people actually know the difference between a CV and a run-of-the-mill resume. And yes, building your CV is tedious, and I sometimes wonder if all those annotated bibliographies and MLA/APA pieces are really there to inoculate a person to the task of putting a CV together.