Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

7km Beer pipeline = too Much?

GrimGrimoire

BBC News Beer Pipeline.

So Germany is building a massive underground pipeline... not for oil, not for natural gas, not for coal, diamonds, diamond dogs or minerals from the kingdom of the Sleestaks... but for beer. It is being constructed for the upcoming Wacken Open Air festival this August. It is being hailed as being more eco-friendly and more efficient for getting tasty beers into thirsty rock fans mugs. Every year it is claimed the beer trucks delivering their suds tear up the countryside, and this will put a stop to that. Although this line did catch my eye...

Besides beer, pipelines will also be used to deliver water to the site and remove effluent from it

YIKES!

This year it is probably going to be pretty sanitary, but next year you have to wonder if the pipe delivering your frosty brew was just a few weeks earlier pumping human waste to parts unknown?

I thought I would open this topic up for thoughts and opinions... what do you think? Great idea? Ridiculous? Over the top? Eco-friendly brilliance?

Is anyone here attending WOA? How would you feel about getting your beer from site unseen 4 miles away?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

'Besides beer, pipelines will also be used to deliver water to the site and remove effluent from it'

I think they mean different pipes (see added emphasis.) The point is that they will be using pipelines for their festival infrastructure rather than tankers; much like they don't use the same tankers for beer, water and effluent. 

What I found interesting was that the stated supply of beer was one glass per second*; assuming that one glass is one pint, with 75,000 people consuming an average of 9 pints each, they need to supply 675,000 pints over three days. That's 225,000 per day, or just over 2.6 pints per second - and that's before you consider that the demand isn't going to be uniform (there are rather more people drinking at 6pm than at 6am.)

Storage can alleviate the beer flow issue to some extent, but as the pipeline can only deliver 86,400 pints per day they'll need to store up around 2/3 of the beer on site (some 450,000 pints) before the festival begins in order to keep up with demand. They're going to need a bigger pipe...

*the video then claimed that the pipeline could handle 105,000 gallons over the course of the festival, which is 840,000 pints, which would be enough. Now I'm curious as to which one is right.

Edited by Once In A Blue Moon
footnote

46 minutes ago, GrimGrimoire said:

I thought I would open this topic up for thoughts and opinions... what do you think? Great idea? Ridiculous? Over the top? Eco-friendly brilliance?

Replace all oil pipelines with beer pipelines. With your silicone hump and your ten inch stump
Dressed like a priest you was. 

My Holy Trinity: beer, rock, eco-friendly.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, GrimGrimoire said:

This year it is probably going to be pretty sanitary, but next year you have to wonder if the pipe delivering your frosty brew was just a few weeks earlier pumping human waste to parts unknown?

separate pipes silly

this isnt space 

28 minutes ago, Once In A Blue Moon said:

(there are rather more people drinking at 6pm than at 6am.)

you be surprised

29 minutes ago, Once In A Blue Moon said:

*the video then claimed that the pipeline could handle 105,000 gallons over the course of the festival, which is 840,000 pints, which would be enough. Now I'm curious as to which one is right.

increase the pressure on the pipe and beer comes out faster

same principle for gas, and water too

26 minutes ago, Once In A Blue Moon said:

I think they mean different pipes

Well yes, I would hope so. But not every company ALWAYS does what is right.. and hey, if no one notices, I am sure it will be OK. I mean they are perfectly fine with dumping waste in places that can be hazardous to your health... that being said, I am pretty sure they will of course separate pipes and use different ones for different things, however, It still makes you take notice when it is said. It was meant more in jest than accusation.

6 minutes ago, BloodDrops said:

separate pipes silly

See above. Companies do not ALWAYS do what is right when something else may be more profitable and more efficient.

2 minutes ago, GrimGrimoire said:

Well yes, I would hope so. But not every company ALWAYS does what is right.. and hey, if no one notices, I am sure it will be OK. I mean they are perfectly fine with dumping waste in places that can be hazardous to your health... that being said, I am pretty sure they will of course separate pipes and use different ones for different things, however, It still makes you take notice when it is said. It was meant more in jest than accusation.

See above. Companies do not ALWAYS do what is right when something else may be more profitable and more efficient.

yeah feed you your own shit to drink, no one will notice that

no ones gonna get sued either.

or lose all your credibility

I mean comapanys like to profit, but not if its hazardous for humans

screwing over the environment or animals is perfectly fine

lines drawn at humans, apart from isis that is

1 minute ago, BloodDrops said:

yeah feed you your own shit to drink, no one will notice that

You can use high pressure and chemicals  to clean pipes out and sterilize and treat them. Companies have done it for drinking water in some places when removing fetid water and replacing it with clean water.

11 hours ago, GrimGrimoire said:

You can use high pressure and chemicals  to clean pipes out and sterilize and treat them. Companies have done it for drinking water in some places when removing fetid water and replacing it with clean water.

yeah that's standard practice

so the issue here is?

1 hour ago, BloodDrops said:

yeah that's standard practice

so the issue here is?

None. You are making it into one. I just made an observation and poked fun at the individual line. :P

13 hours ago, GrimGrimoire said:

It was meant more in jest than accusation.

As I said earlier.