Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ask a Nerd. Or Ask a Puddle of Water. I'm Not Picky.

Duality

2 minutes ago, Frostgage said:

Very important question. who is fictional bae?

I'm hopelessly in love with the protagonist of the series Duality's Autobiography: The Condensed Version, but he's not technically fictional.

Judy Hopps is all right too I guess.

20 minutes ago, Soren Peregrine said:

Do you think the IQ Test is a very good way to test someone's overall intelligence?

I.Q. is only a measure of analytical intelligence, such as skills relating to mathematics and logical problem-solving. Creativity, artistic ability, capacity to appreciate beauty, and many other such manifestations of mental strength are entirely overlooked by the I.Q. metric.

It's good at doing what it was designed to do, but it does not define a person's brainpower.

24 minutes ago, Soren Peregrine said:

Are there other tests that more accurately define a person's brainpower? If so, what are some of them?

I have no idea. I don't think so, though; creativity is hard to measure.

• Brohoof 1

32 minutes ago, Soren Peregrine said:

Would you rather fight 100 duck-sized horses or 1 horse-sized duck?

Definitely the duck.

100 duck-sized horses is a lot more weight to fend off than 1 horse-sized duck, especially since birds have hollow bones.

33 minutes ago, Soren Peregrine said:

If a tree falls in the forest when nobody is around, does it actually make a sound?

It gives off sound waves, which can be taken to mean that it makes a sound, but is not heard by anyone, which can be taken to mean that it doesn't make a sound.

It's all in how you define 'sound'.

• Brohoof 1

I am building a time machine. I have successfully inverted the 4 dimensional toroidal manifold into a 3.5 dimensional sphere (as per the instructions on the box). I set the stochastic randomizer to auto, to sync with the flux capacitor, because, well you know. 

My problem is the fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror keep come up snake eyes. What should I do?

• Brohoof 1

12 hours ago, BronyNumber42licious said:

I am building a time machine. I have successfully inverted the 4 dimensional toroidal manifold into a 3.5 dimensional sphere (as per the instructions on the box). I set the stochastic randomizer to auto, to sync with the flux capacitor, because, well you know. 

My problem is the fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror keep come up snake eyes. What should I do?

Your problem is the fuzz.

It builds up a probabilistic charge, which causes a statistical field to be formed around the dice in which the second law of thermodynamics is spontaneously inverted. This 'antirandomness' effect is what causes such an improbable outcome for the dice's results.

I have found, however, that if you use fuzzy dodecahedral dice instead of generic cubic ones, you can game the phenomenon to make them come up nat 20s every time. Better yet, the charge can be retained by the fuzz for hours at a time if you let it build up far enough.

Your D&D group will learn to fear you.

1 hour ago, Duality said:

Your problem is the fuzz.

It builds up a probabilistic charge, which causes a statistical field to be formed around the dice in which the second law of thermodynamics is spontaneously inverted. This 'antirandomness' effect is what causes such an improbable outcome for the dice's results.

I have found, however, that if you use fuzzy dodecahedral dice instead of generic cubic ones, you can game the phenomenon to make them come up nat 20s every time. Better yet, the charge can be retained by the fuzz for hours at a time if you let it build up far enough.

Your D&D group will learn to fear you.

How did you know I was trying to recruit D&D players from history? I will try with the new dice and get back to you yesterday. Thanks!

• Brohoof 1

On 4/23/2018 at 3:42 AM, Duality said:

Is Admantium the element that mutated and empowered ads to the point where they took over the internet?

Oops, meant to say Adamantium. Same question again.

Interrogatives:

1. How many creepypastas can you name off the top of your head?

2. Are there alligators in the sewers?

3. If given the opportunity, would you explore the Paris catacombs? (Your safety cannot be guaranteed.)

4. Realistically speaking, which Element of Harmony do you think you represent well the most?

5. Just how amazing is the Release from Deception sculpture?

6. Thoughts on the Battle of Los Angeles?

7. How exactly does parasprite reproduction work?

8. Coloratura, Sapphire Shores, or Songbird Serenade?

9. Do pink fluffy unicorns dance on rainbows?

10. After watching a mysterious video on the Internet, you receive a call. When you pick it up, a whispering voice utters "Seven days" and hangs up. What is your plan?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, TigerGeekGuy said:

Oops, meant to say Adamantium. Same question again.

Still vibranium because Cap is most virtuous superhero.

How many creepypastas can you name off the top of your head?

I remember a few creepypastas' storylines, but I'm not good with titles, unfortunately.

Are there alligators in the sewers?

Depends on the sewer.

There probably are in yours.

If given the opportunity, would you explore the Paris catacombs? (Your safety cannot be guaranteed.)

Maybe, but only with a good flashlight, fresh batteries, plenty of water, and a large stick.

Realistically speaking, which Element of Harmony do you think you represent well the most?

This is a hard one; like every normal human, I have bits of this and bits of that.

Loyalty, maybe?

Just how amazing is the Release from Deception sculpture?

Even just carving a fully-rendered net from a piece of marble takes some serious commitment, let alone a net plus an entire sculpture.

I give it at least 12/10.

Thoughts on the Battle of Los Angeles?

Jittery nerves are a powerful contributor to violent acts.

How exactly does parasprite reproduction work?

It's obviously some form of macroscopic mitosis.

Parasprites might even be single-celled organisms in their own right.

Coloratura, Sapphire Shores, or Songbird Serenade?

Haven't seen Coloratura's episode, but I like Songbird Serenade. Her song in the cage really set the mood for the captivity scene, and her song at the end really closed the movie off well.

Do pink fluffy unicorns dance on rainbows?

No, they dance on graves.

After watching a mysterious video on the Internet, you receive a call. When you pick it up, a whispering voice utters "Seven days" and hangs up. What is your plan?

Acquire sharp objects.

Acquire heavy objects.

Acquire shooty objects.

Acquire supplies.

Acquire bolthole.

Repeat.

Edited by Duality
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2018 at 3:45 AM, Duality said:

Maybe, but only with a good flashlight, fresh batteries, plenty of water, and a large stick.

haw

Good luck.

I give it at least 12/10.

Yesh, gud.

Vury gud.

No, they dance on graves.

Ah, yes. I remember now.

Inquiries:

1. Thoughts on the mystery of Polybius?

2. Does a werewolf have any relation to Luna or her powers?

3. What would you say is your biggest flaw?

4. How are phoenixes able to resurrect themselves?

5. Just how much does Rainbow Dash protect her Daring Do book collection?

6. Thoughts on 'normopathy'?

7. What mythological creature would you like to see in the show that has not been featured already?

8. How many eye patches does Pinkie have hidden over the entire expanse of Equestria?

9. Thoughts on placebos?

10. Can you smell what The Rock is cooking?

• Brohoof 1

17 hours ago, TigerGeekGuy said:

Ah, yes. I remember now.

You should remember; I've seen them dance on yours.

Thoughts on the mystery of Polybius?

Interesting concept, but unlikely to have existed.

Does a werewolf have any relation to Luna or her powers?

The phases of the moon don't seem to have any direct relation to Luna or her powers, so probably not.

What would you say is your biggest flaw?

I take a long time to 'warm up' to people enough that my conversational ability isn't impacted by how relaxed I'm not.

18 hours ago, TigerGeekGuy said:

How are phoenixes able to resurrect themselves?

Definitely mitosis. This is totally sound science.

Just how much does Rainbow Dash protect her Daring Do book collection?

They let her off on a 'justified homicide' charge last time someone tried to tamper with it.

Thoughts on 'normopathy'?

Insidiously damaging and seemingly widespread in mild form.

Normiepathy is a whole different beast, though.

What mythological creature would you like to see in the show that has not been featured already?

my O.c who is a alicorn laser bat with Giant wings and teeth and more magic than Celeste and luna combine and discord

How many eye patches does Pinkie have hidden over the entire expanse of Equestria?

Several thousand.

One for every eye she has.

Thoughts on placebos?

They work well enough in many cases to call them a partial treatment in their own right.

Can you smell what The Rock is cooking?

He eats his codfish uncooked, actually. Something like one and a half kilograms of it per day, spread out over five meals.

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, ZethaPonderer said:

Which one is worse: Being a dumbdonkey or Being a smartdonkey? Why? :proud::muffins:

Smart donkeys are obviously superior, because dumb donkeys are equally donkeyish but with lower IQ. :catface:

• Brohoof 1

Do you have any trouble pronouncing the word 'sixth' or the word 'strewth'?

Would you memorize the Abecedarium Nordmannicum for fun?

About how many times a week would you say you use the word 'awry'?

How many total diacritics from any language could you explain off the top of your head?

10 hours ago, Sunset Rose said:

Do you have any trouble pronouncing the word 'sixth' or the word 'strewth'?

Not really.

I'm fine with most pronunciation problems up to and beyond 'Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers' five times fast.

Would you memorize the Abecedarium Nordmannicum for fun?

Definitely.

About how many times a week would you say you use the word 'awry'?

Approximately no times at all. I don't talk that much IRL, surprisingly.

How many total diacritics from any language could you explain off the top of your head?

All of them.

'Diacritics are weird tiny line-things that they add to words solely to make it harder for everyone.'

25 minutes ago, Duality said:

'Diacritics are weird tiny line-things that they add to words solely to make it harder for everyone.'

Or to make that letter make sense. You know. :icwudt:

10 hours ago, Frostgage said:

What is your most prized possession in a 5-foot radius? (excluding whatever you're viewing this question on)

I'd say my grandfather's colossal Compact Oxford Dictionary if my chair was half a foot to the right. Maybe the fist-sized chunk of polished jade I found buried under a tree's roots once.

It says in your profile you enjoy reading C.S. Lewis' classic theology books. Maybe this is a dumb question, but I will ask it anyways. :P

Have you read 'The Screwtape Letters'? If so, what are some of your thoughts on it?

(edited)
On 15/05/2018 at 10:57 AM, Soren Peregrine said:

It says in your profile you enjoy reading C.S. Lewis' classic theology books. Maybe this is a dumb question, but I will ask it anyways. :P

Have you read 'The Screwtape Letters'? If so, what are some of your thoughts on it?

Ooh, 'The Screwtape Letters' is what got me into Lewis' theology books. Before then all I knew him for was Narnia, which, although very well-written and integrating many Biblical concepts, is merely a fantasy story.

Screwtape and his letters, when I first read them as an adult, left me utterly dumbfounded simply with how razor-sharp their insights into the human psyche were, unique in how they came at the issue of human depravity from a direction polar opposite to usual. I had to reread entire paragraphs on many occasions in order to properly grasp the concepts being expressed - almost unheard of for me when reading fiction of any kind -, and I found it one of the most thought-provoking books I'd read to date, although that mark has been surpassed by one of Lewis' other books by now, I think. My father's old copy holds a distinguished place on my bookcase. :D

Edited by Duality

11 hours ago, Duality said:

I found it one of the most thought-provoking books I'd read to date, although that mark has been surpassed by one of Lewis' other books by now, I think.

And which one would that be?

• Brohoof 1