Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ask a Nerd. Or Ask a Puddle of Water. I'm Not Picky.

Duality

3 hours ago, Frostgage said:

Do you have a standalone favorite FiM or EG song?

I've always been fond of the This Day Aria, the one where Chrysalis and Cadance sing alternating verses. It has an amazingly sweeping, climactic melody, as well as pitch-perfect lyrics. :D

Another question I couldn't resist asking!

Do you think the cutie map is suspiciously similar to a holographic projector table from Star Wars? Also isn't it likely that something extremely intelligent is controlling the map like possibly even my OC?

5 minutes ago, Techno Universal said:

Do you think the cutie map is suspiciously similar to a holographic projector table from Star Wars?

Not really, besides the fact that they both project images. Most Star Wars tech is electronic/circuit-based, while the Cutie Map seems mostly, if not completely, composed of solid magic-infused crystal.

8 minutes ago, Techno Universal said:

isn't it likely that something extremely intelligent is controlling the map like possibly even my OC?

My headcanon has it that the Tree of Harmony controls the thing, 'cause it did create it - and is still linked to it, according to that two-parter where Starlight Glimmer used the Map as a focus for her time travel spell. Ancient magical Elements of Harmony-linked tree seems a fairly good canonical candidate for sentience after all.

15 minutes ago, Duality said:

Not really, besides the fact that they both project images. Most Star Wars tech is electronic/circuit-based, while the Cutie Map seems mostly, if not completely, composed of solid magic-infused crystal.

My headcanon has it that the Tree of Harmony controls the thing, 'cause it did create it - and is still linked to it, according to that two-parter where Starlight Glimmer used the Map as a focus for her time travel spell. Ancient magical Elements of Harmony-linked tree seems a fairly good canonical candidate for sentience after all.

But still for it to accurately choose the ponies and locations for friendship missions it would need to have an intelligence that's beyond the normal human intelligence level and it would have to be waching all of equestria all at the same time. And that's all so it can predict the outcome correctly so when you look at it that way it seems something like my OC would be controlling it. Plus it would even have to be watching not only equestria but every single other equestria universe in that multi-verse for it to function and hint Twilight what to do in the time travel episode! It literally gets extremely complex when you think about it! :) 

1 minute ago, BronyNumber42 said:

I made a catapult and it works. But now my enemies are using dogapults. How do I upgrade my tech?

Okay, first off, catapults >>> dogapults. There's no immediate need for upgrading; it should still take a few millenia of weapons research before your enemies start approaching your position in the arms race.

However, if your enemies started off using catapults but are now resorting to wasting their resources deploying dogapults, they must be getting pretty desperate, so it's understandable if you want to destroy them before they try kamikaze-style all-out attacks, fighting with no regard for whether they survive.

So:

Take a cat-o'-nine-tails, a cat from a hot tin roof, a cat killed by curiosity, a black cat, a cat's pyjamas, a grumpy cat, and tungsten shrapnel to taste, weld them into a single sphere of solidified fur, and launch it from a ground-to-air unit. The charge of static electricity that it'll accumulate while passing through the air will cause it to explode in the lower atmosphere with a blast radius comparable to a nuclear warhead.

I like to call 'em 'Cataclysms'.

17 minutes ago, Techno Universal said:

But still for it to accurately choose the ponies and locations for friendship missions it would need to have an intelligence that's beyond the normal human intelligence level and it would have to be waching all of equestria all at the same time. And that's all so it can predict the outcome correctly so when you look at it that way it seems something like my OC would be controlling it. Plus it would even have to be watching not only equestria but every single other equestria universe in that multi-verse for it to function and hint Twilight what to do in the time travel episode! It literally gets extremely complex when you think about it! :) 

Eh, ancient magical Elements of Harmony-linked tree could still meet those criteria. The EoH have been shown to have Equestria-wide effects (and beyond, if you look at how Sunset was able to rip open cross-universal portals in the first EqG movie). It seems logical that such abilities are possessed by the Tree also.

• Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, Duality said:

Okay, first off, catapults >>> dogapults. There's no immediate need for upgrading; it should still take a few millenia of weapons research before your enemies start approaching your position in the arms race.

However, if your enemies started off using catapults but are now resorting to wasting their resources deploying dogapults, they must be getting pretty desperate, so it's understandable if you want to destroy them before they try kamikaze-style all-out attacks, fighting with no regard for whether they survive.

So:

Take a cat-o'-nine-tails, a cat from a hot tin roof, a cat killed by curiosity, a black cat, a cat's pyjamas, a grumpy cat, and tungsten shrapnel to taste, weld them into a single sphere of solidified fur, and launch it from a ground-to-air unit. The charge of static electricity that it'll accumulate while passing through the air will cause it to explode in the lower atmosphere with a blast radius comparable to a nuclear warhead.

Eh, ancient magical Elements of Harmony-linked tree could still meet those criteria. The EoH have been shown to have Equestria-wide effects (and beyond, if you look at how Sunset was able to rip open cross-universal portals in the first EqG movie). It seems logical that such abilities are possessed by the Tree also.

Plus for inter universal travel you would need to port through the DATANET. It's just like porting to a completely separate server node. So when they where traveling through the inter dimensional tunnel they were traveling through a networking cable to a different server. :)

12 minutes ago, Techno Universal said:

Plus for inter universal travel you would need to port through the DATANET. It's just like porting to a completely separate server node. So when they where traveling through the inter dimensional tunnel they were traveling through a networking cable to a different server.

If you say so.

13 minutes ago, Duality said:

*applause* brilliant. I will have my engineers get to work on it. The enemy is currently using catapults, invading our coast on catamarans. I believe the results will be categorically catastrophic. 

The dog gone dogalult upgrade would doggedly pursue our forces. Dog!

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, BronyNumber42 said:

The enemy is currently using catapults, invading our coast on catamarans.

Wait.

You don't work for the CIA, do you?!

I knew it was a bad idea to divulge military secrets to random online bronies!!

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Duality said:

Wait.

You don't work for the CIA, do you?!

I knew it was a bad idea to divulge military secrets to random online bronies!!

I do not. But I would say that either way. 

On a non related note, are you immune to poison?

• Brohoof 1

14 minutes ago, BronyNumber42 said:

I do not. But I would say that either way. 

On a non related note, are you immune to poison?

Yes. But I would say that either way.

On a non-related note, are you secretly an evil mastermind who intends to rule the world with the information you've extracted from me?

• Brohoof 1

9 minutes ago, Duality said:

Yes. But I would say that either way.

On a non-related note, are you secretly an evil mastermind who intends to rule the world with the information you've extracted from me?

Nah, I gave up the "rule the world" thing after college. I'm happy with a single continent.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, BronyNumber42 said:

Nah, I gave up the "rule the world" thing after college. I'm happy with a single continent.

Which one?

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)
1 hour ago, -D1SCORDANT- said:

Do you think icekyoobs taste good?

Well, there are two points to note here.

One, water doesn't taste like anything.

Two, me eating icekyoobs is comparable to a cross between cannibalism and eating one's own toenail clippings.

Therefore, my opinion of icekyoobs is that they effectively taste like logic, morality, and sanity simultaneously dry-heaving.

TL;DR: Yes. :catface:

Edited by Duality
  • Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Frostgage said:

If you could observe any area in the universe, what would you choose?

The edge of a black hole.

Because we currently don't know whether we would be spaghettified if we fell into a black hole or just deep-fried by a high-energy barrier along the event horizon, and it would answer a lot of questions if we did. We used to just think that we would get spaghettified, but everyone's been confused ever since Stephen Hawking decided to contribute his mathematical analysis to the whole debate and break everyone else's theories. Again.

Or if we're going full hypothetical here, the inside of a black hole would probably answer way more questions than we have the knowledge to even ask.

We already know how most celestial objects work, but black holes remain stubbornly outside of our capacity to physically explain, so they'd probably be the most beneficial thing for us to observe more closely.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, Duality said:

No.

I'll be collecting that bet now. :icwudt:

I didn't say any amount, so I'll choose what I pay you.

Spoiler

Haha you have been paid with a meme!

IMG_1113.JPG

Edited by Silver Note
  • Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, Silver Note said:

I didn't say any amount, so I'll choose what I pay you.

Reveal hidden contents

Haha you have been paid with a meme!

IMG_1113.JPG

I've been had. I demand a refund snuggle.