Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ask a Nerd. Or Ask a Puddle of Water. I'm Not Picky.

Duality

On 6/4/2017 at 3:04 AM, Duality said:

what life as a lump of squishy skin-coated intestines is like

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Nobeing else noticed this? This is shocking! I didn't know you were squishy!

I mean... why would a watery being have inner organs like intestines?... or a brain for that matter.

Well, anyhow, putting that notion secondary, have been meaning to get a grasp on what Quantum Mechanics is. Tried to read A Wrinkle in Time but couldn't get past all the pretentious windbaggery. Like, yeah, yeah, Tesseracts. Stop shoving it down our throats and pretending fairy witches or something are responsible for it. So, uh, yeah... What is the basic concepts and ideas of what Quantum Mechanics is? I kind of see it as a more philosophical branch of- FAVORITE PANCAKE FLAVOR! GO! DON'T THINK TWICE!

Would think life as an thin-membraned being of ever-shifting form and malleability would be a personal hell.  ...I added "thin-membraned" onto that... don't lookit me.

Hmm, what else? Oh, know any good Shakespearian insults?

Also. Are you edible? And if it did happen, could you burst out of the chest of the imbider or be capable of gaining minor control over their body until such time as you pass out of their system? ... I think about these things.

• Brohoof 1

On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 3:18 AM, Quantum Pony said:

Toast always lands butter side down 

Cat always lands on its feet 

So what happens when you attach the toast to the back of the cat? 

There's a whole Wikipedia article on this, but I'm going to say, 'the entire cat-toast thought experiment implodes into a Schroedinger's Cat sort of event-horizon setup, by virtue of the Cosmic Censorship Hypothesis'. Problem solved.

On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 6:46 AM, TheOneGuy0000 said:

ANYWAY, HERE'S SOME MORE QUESTIONS. 

-Favorite fast food?

-Ketchup or mustard?

-Pineapple pizza. Yay or nay?

And last, but definitely not least:

Who is best princess?

This is your one chance at redemption. You better answer honestly, AND correctly!

1. Butter chicken.

2. TOMATO SAUCE MAN I THOUGHT YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE EUROPEAN

3. Pizza = yay, no questions asked. If you meant yea, as in the archaic form of yes, then same answer, I just wanted to point out that that's actually not how you spell the word. All-too-common error.

4. Discord.

59bcdc1c2169c_Slide17.png.a1c6652b2f78be8360b370d5bc82b711.png

come at me bro

On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 8:22 AM, Frostgage said:

What body of water do you most idolize?

Normally I'd say 'me' to this sort of question, but The Great Blue Hole over in Belize takes the cake.

On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 7:56 PM, Widdershins said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Nobeing else noticed this? This is shocking! I didn't know you were squishy!

I mean... why would a watery being have inner organs like intestines?... or a brain for that matter.

[...]

Also. Are you edible? And if it did happen, could you burst out of the chest of the imbider or be capable of gaining minor control over their body until such time as you pass out of their system? ... I think about these things.  

^ You answer your own questions with each other here.

Think about it some more.

Well, anyhow, putting that notion secondary, have been meaning to get a grasp on what Quantum Mechanics is. Tried to read A Wrinkle in Time but couldn't get past all the pretentious windbaggery. Like, yeah, yeah, Tesseracts. Stop shoving it down our throats and pretending fairy witches or something are responsible for it. So, uh, yeah... What is the basic concepts and ideas of what Quantum Mechanics is? I kind of see it as a more philosophical branch of-

QM consists of a simple basic principle: there are particles that make up basically everything (except maybe gravity, no-one's figured out that one yet). There are force particles, known as bosons, and there are matter particles, known as fermions.

Light, magnetic fields, and electric fields all consist of photons ('the carrier boson of the electromagnetic interaction', as you might hear it called), the field of force that keeps atoms' nuclei held together consists of gluons ('the carrier boson of the strong interaction'; don't ask me i'm not in charge of naming particles), and the field of force that causes certain niche types of radiation consists of W and Z bosons ('the carrier bosons of the weak interaction'). The gravitational interaction is the fourth and, as far as we know, final type of force-field/interaction, but, as aforementioned, we haven't discovered any carrier boson of it yet (not for want of trying, though).

Matter is made up of a bunch of different particles with weird names, viz., the up, down, strange, charm, top, and bottom types of quark (told you physicists have weird naming conventions), the electron, the mu particle, the tau particle, and the electron, mu, and tau types of neutrino.

And, last but most, the Higgs boson, that doesn't quite fit into any of the other categories but is responsible for matter having mass or something along those lines (they only just discovered it the other year after loads of intellectual predictions as to what it might be like and how it might be detected, so I don't know too much concrete stuff about it).

That's basically all there is to know about QM, other than a whole bunch of fiddly details about the potential philosophical ramifications of a whole bunch of particle phenomenae,  the weird problems physicists still have making sense of a few things, the specific things each particle does, and what they do when they crash into each other and/or when you do weird sciencey stuff with them (which is most of QM, to be honest). I am by no means possessor of enough knowledge to comprehensively and clearly explain all those things, so ask further at the risk of confusion.

Methinks you may be looking for info on relativity and possibly higher-dimensional maths, but those are mind-bendier and harder for me to explain. On the bright side, there's far more nonfiction layman literature on how they work around the place, so you may want to check something like that out. Or possibly just get a sci-fi book to read that's smart enough to know that not everyone knows advanced physics and not-snobbish enough to actually deign to explain such 'glaringly obvious' details to the reader. Stupid time-wrinkle.

FAVORITE PANCAKE FLAVOR! GO! DON'T THINK TWICE!

Chocolate.

Lots of chocolate.

Yes, 'lots of chocolate' is totally a pancake flavour.

Hmm, what else? Oh, know any good Shakespearian insults?

Yes. :catface:

Edited by Duality
  • Brohoof 3

5 hours ago, Duality said:

'the entire cat-toast thought experiment implodes into a Schroedinger's Cat sort of event-horizon setup, by virtue of the Cosmic Censorship Hypothesi

Lol, that sounds way too awesome. Im gonna try that on my neighbor's cat. ^_^

5 hours ago, Duality said:

QM consists of a simple basic principle: there are particles that make up basically everything (except maybe gravity, no-one's figured out that one yet). There are force particles, known as bosons, and there are matter particles, known as fermions.

I didn't think it would be possible to explain pretty much all of particle physics in one post but you did it! :pinkie:

(Although such concepts seems to be too amazing to be explained with only QM :orly:

6 hours ago, Widdershins said:

What is the basic concepts and ideas of what Quantum Mechanics is?

Since it's my favorite topic, I'd like to throw in my two-cents as well :P:

I believe that Quantum Mechanics is: Just a bunch of (extremely beautiful) math that turns out to be correct and nobody really knows why. =P

6 hours ago, Duality said:

there's far more nonfiction layman literature on how they work around the place, so you may want to check something like that out.

Couldn't agree more! I personally recommend The Strange Theory of Light and Matter, a book that explains everything in QM without introducing a single equation! This is also the book that makes me fall in love with physics :rarity:, and I believe if you read just the first 10 pages, you would too!  

Follow up question:

If coconut has hair and produce milk, why isn't it classified as a mammal?

• Brohoof 1

TOMATO SAUCE MAN I THOUGHT YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE EUROPEAN

We use both ketchup and tomato sauce for addressing both ketchup and tomato sauce, actually. Either way, glad to hear someone has good taste in sauces.

Pizza = yay, no questions asked. If you meant yea, as in the archaic form of yes, then same answer, I just wanted to point out that that's actually not how you spell the word. All-too-common error.

There's actually a discussion going on right now (what petty topics the world worries about), but yes, the "yay" version is not official yet. I still prefer it, as it looks more aesthetically pleasing. It's more of a "meme", anyway. I mean, you may as well just write "yes or no".

Spoiler

And because of this you got sidetracked and didn't properly answer the question, I hope you're happy with yourself.

Discord.

I...  can't argue with that.  Why must you be so perfect, De Lancie, why!?

Damn you, hydrogen equine! You will acknowledge the glory of the night!

Spoiler

Yes I know water isn't just hydrogen but "equine made of hydrogen and oxygen" wasn't as catchy.

Alright, here's another batch of original questions, fresh out of the oven:

-What's your least favorite school subject?

-What's the square root of 1462345722584674736763982534.372?

-Where do babies come from?

-Who is best unreformed villain?

-What's your opinion on good ol' Starry Glimmy?

And at last, the time for my revenge hath cometh. A riddle, if you will:

Spoiler

What has leaves, that nobody sees?

Yet it's taller than trees;

Up and up it goes,

And yet, never grows.

Edited by TheOneGuy0000

17 hours ago, Duality said:

^ You answer your own questions with each other here.

Well, no. I don't see how. An internal system of structures would be important enough to require regrowth. If the jokes about you turning into vapor hold any truth, then you'd have to be fully liquid.

I do suppose then, that Quantum Mechanics can boil down to being essentially referred to as Atom Science. But really, that begs a bigger question, especially in light of gravity being mentioned. If all you can tell is its effects, and extrapolate from then on that those effects all refer to the same origin, yet you cannot find evidence of such, then can you truly say that it counts as something real enough to justify giving it its own name/existence? I cannot see electricity for myself, but only feel its effects. It is unknown, therefor one would not be remiss in describing it as magic, correct?

I have actually encountered most of the types of quarks/energy particles. What did throw me off though... What's Viz mean? Thought that was just a production company.

• Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, Quantum Pony said:

If coconut has hair and produce milk, why isn't it classified as a mammal?

Hmmmmm.

Biological classification is boring.

I don't like to be boring.

Therefore:

An exceptionally hairy coconut was Stalin's most trusted confidante and adviser in political matters, quickly becoming invaluable in his rise to power. In a desperate attempt to discredit and ridicule the newly-elected dictator, the American government began a smear campaign centring around his trusted lieutenant, claiming that their scientists had discovered that coconuts didn't even qualify as sentient, due to their non-mammalian nature, and the fact that Stalin took advice from one was grounds to question his sanity. Stalin quickly exiled his second-in-command to a remote island in the Pacific, fearing that he would lose his hard-won reputation and be replaced as head of his country, a victory that America's leadership decided to commemorate by integrating the falsehoods behind it into their very schooling system.

To this day, America still teaches their children that coconuts aren't mammals, and the lieutenant's legacy still lives on in the covert coconut revenge movement that plagues Australia. Hundreds of innocents lose their lives each year as a result of their dread guerrilla coconut infantry.

7 hours ago, TheOneGuy0000 said:

And because of this you got sidetracked and didn't properly answer the question, I hope you're happy with yourself.

I actually did, by stating outright that I like pizza pretty much without qualification.

Unless anchovies, of course.

I...  can't argue with that.  Why must you be so perfect, De Lancie, why!?

:catface:

Yes I know water isn't just hydrogen but "equine made of hydrogen and oxygen" wasn't as catchy.

And, I suppose, 'hydroxide equine' wasn't as catchy either?

What's your least favorite school subject?

English.

My teacher was appalled when I mentioned as much, because I did so well in it, but English is really hard. I spent more time working on English assignments than all my other subjects put together.

What's the square root of 1462345722584674736763982534.372?

The root of the equation x^2 = 1462345722584674736763982534.372. :icwudt:

Where do babies come from?

The Tooth Fairy cultivates them out of tissue cultures grown from nerve cells extracted from collected teeth.

Who is best unreformed villain?

King Sombra.

And his name is obviously pronounced closer to 'Soombra', not 'Sombra'; the former is more sibilant and thus more evil. I don't know why that was never a thing. :huh:

What's your opinion on good ol' Starry Glimmy?

Best edgypone and currently the greatest plot device in the show for bringing about the explanation of magical phenomena. More magical worldbuilding is always appreciated by magick-headcanonisers like me.

And at last, the time for my revenge hath cometh. A riddle, if you will:

What has leaves, that nobody sees?

Yet it's taller than trees;

Up and up it goes,

And yet, never grows.

I knew this sounded familiar, now (I've seen the Hobbit but didn't quite pin it down to that franchise), but I couldn't think of anything with unseen leaves.

So I Googled it, and found out that the actual riddle starts 'What has roots that nobody sees?'

And now I want to throw you off of the answer to the riddle.

Because that's the second time you've given me a broken riddle to try and solve.

better watch yourself eh oneguy  :okiedokieloki:

58 minutes ago, Widdershins said:

Well, no. I don't see how. An internal system of structures would be important enough to require regrowth. If the jokes about you turning into vapor hold any truth, then you'd have to be fully liquid.

i know what it feels like to have squishy organs because i have taken hosts before...

59 minutes ago, Widdershins said:

I do suppose then, that Quantum Mechanics can boil down to being essentially referred to as Atom Science. But really, that begs a bigger question, especially in light of gravity being mentioned. If all you can tell is its effects, and extrapolate from then on that those effects all refer to the same origin, yet you cannot find evidence of such, then can you truly say that it counts as something real enough to justify giving it its own name/existence? I cannot see electricity for myself, but only feel its effects. It is unknown, therefor one would not be remiss in describing it as magic, correct?

More Particle Science, seeing as pretty much all of the particles involved are beyond subatomic.

In regards to your latter question/s, the fact that all observed effects and mathematical models are consistent with the existence of a certain particle of well-defined properties is evidence for the particle's existence. In the same way, one might say that the fact that the observability and ability to affect you of a person standing in front of you is evidence for that person's existence. The only way it might not be correct is by way of some seriously weird factors (e.g., a holographic projector and force-field generator setup) or by way of some seriously weird philosophy (e.g., all of life is an illusion).

All modern explanations of the behaviour of electricity involve electricity being the result of a flow of electrons, as do all modern mathematical descriptions of the behaviour of electricity. It is by far the simplest, most straightforward, most logical, most all-encompassing explanation, and thus is considered to be the explanation until someone comes along and disproves it (which seems unlikely, given that much of our work with particle colliders involve smashing electrons into particles under set conditions to see what happens, and pretty much all of our technology involves ridiculously precise understandings of how electricity works).

We have no 'direct' evidence for any physical laws or concepts if we have no 'direct' evidence for electricity. We have no 'direct' evidence for the idea of light as a 'ray', for example, as it could be explained by saying that the air particles all glow in a row when something hot or weird comes near them. And if something seemed to contradict that, we could say that that's because the universe makes no sense. All physical phenomena could be the result of a whole bunch of unrelated things that 'somehow' coincide with a certain physical/mathematical model - but it makes vastly more sense to consider them as a logical whole and explain them in terms of particles.

But you can still call them magic if you want (see: 'technomancers'); whether or not things involve particles makes no difference as to whether they're magic. If someone could read minds and telepathically lift trucks using a new type of particle that their brain could wield, people would call that magic, so if we can read minds using technology that picks up on brain waves using particles and lift trucks with electromagnets that use particles, there's no reason not to call that magic, in a similar sense, too.

1 hour ago, Widdershins said:

I have actually encountered most of the types of quarks/energy particles. What did throw me off though... What's Viz mean? Thought that was just a production company.

ah yes sorry 'viz.' = 'namely'

them latin abbreviations get you at the worst of times

• Brohoof 1

And, I suppose, 'hydroxide equine' wasn't as catchy either?

Spoiler

I- well- I- you- I can't- why- You cannot please this man! It matters not what you do! It matters not how much you think things trough- He shall always find a way to bamboozle you! You cannot please him! He is UNPLEASABLE! I- that's it. I- I quit! I QUIT.

Yes. It was not as catchy. That's exactly why I used the term I used. You are correct. Good job.

The root of the equation x^2 = 1462345722584674736763982534.372. 

You must think you're veeeeery cleveeer...

Spoiler

You would not be incorrect.

Best edgypone and currently the greatest plot device in the show for bringing about the explanation of magical phenomena. More magical worldbuilding is always appreciated by magick-headcanonisers like me.

Wholeheartedly agreed, glad to see they're working more on worldbuilding and explaining stuff like this more thoroughly.

Because that's the second time you've given me a broken riddle to try and solve.

Ah, but it was intentional, my friend. For riddles are not meant to be solved by using your memory, but by using your brain.

You see, a riddle from such a popular franchise would understandably be quite easy to identify in its original form by, say, googling it?

And what better way to prevent that than by changing a word in the first line? And yet it seems t'was not enough.

Spoiler

IT NEVER IS.

As you probably know by now, the answer was "a mountain". Now, most mountains have forests on them, and respectively, trees, correct? Those trees have roots, and bark, and branches, and leaves, and whatever else most trees have.

Seeing as the mountain "has trees", it can be said that it has trunks, branches, leaves, or roots, like in the original riddle. Much like, if a mountain has caves, and there is a stream inside one or more of the beforementioned caves, it can be said that the mountain has streams. 

But what about the "can't be seen part? I hear you asking. Well, roots are mostly underground, so it can be said that they can't be seen. BUT. When looking at a mountain from afar, you can barely (if at all) tell trees apart from each other, not to mention their leaves. Therefore this first line could be interpreted as such: "It has leaves, but they can't be seen, so it's either far away or on a very large scale."

Is it a stretch? Yes. Does it make the riddle impossible to solve, or "broken", as you said? Absolutely not. Even without this "discrepancy", the other two hints should be more than enough on their own to make solving this riddle possible.

Therefore the riddle is NOT, in fact, "broken", and you, my friend, have been thoroughly japed! Ha!

What's that? More questions? Here we go!

-Favorite videogame franchise?

-What is the meaning of life?

-Any opinions regarding the upcoming MLP movie event?

-Who am I?

-Favorite dessert?

-How can I create a doomsday device using old car parts?

Edited by TheOneGuy0000
  • Brohoof 1

On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 1:20 AM, TheOneGuy0000 said:

I- well- I- you- I can't- why- You cannot please this man! It matters not what you do! It matters not how much you think things trough- He shall always find a way to bamboozle you! You cannot please him! He is UNPLEASABLE! I- that's it. I- I quit! I QUIT.

:catface:

You must think you're veeeeery cleveeer...

You would not be incorrect.

Thanks, buddy.

It's resentful admissions of my grandiloquence like this that just put the cherry on top of the icecream sundae that is my life. :smug:

As you probably know by now, the answer was "a mountain". Now, most mountains have forests on them, and respectively, trees, correct? Those trees have roots, and bark, and branches, and leaves, and whatever else most trees have.

Seeing as the mountain "has trees", it can be said that it has trunks, branches, leaves, or roots, like in the original riddle. Much like, if a mountain has caves, and there is a stream inside one or more of the beforementioned caves, it can be said that the mountain has streams. 

But what about the "can't be seen part? I hear you asking. Well, roots are mostly underground, so it can be said that they can't be seen. BUT. When looking at a mountain from afar, you can barely (if at all) tell trees apart from each other, not to mention their leaves. Therefore this first line could be interpreted as such: "It has leaves, but they can't be seen, so it's either far away or on a very large scale."

Is it a stretch? Yes. Does it make the riddle impossible to solve, or "broken", as you said? Absolutely not. Even without this "discrepancy", the other two hints should be more than enough on their own to make solving this riddle possible.

Therefore the riddle is NOT, in fact, "broken", and you, my friend, have been thoroughly japed! Ha!

Firstly, I have seen many mountains completely devoid of trees. Go Google Nepal or something.

Secondly, the mountain does not have leaves, it has trees which have leaves. It's the same as the difference between saying "Cats have fleas" and saying "Cats have bloodsucking proboscises". Means completely different things.

Thirdly, it's aforementioned. Argh.

Fourthly, 'this thing can't be done' means 'this thing is not possible', not 'this thing is not possible for a hypothetical person on whom certain conditions apply'. It is obviously possible for people to see the trees' leaves if they are close enough and, if they have binoculars, even if they're far away, therefore the leaves can be seen. Sure, people can't see the trees' leaves if they're very, very far away or wearing a blindfold or in an alternate universe where trees don't exist or in the normal universe but in the future after Arnold Schwarzenegger blew up all the trees because he couldn't have pancakes for breakfast, but that doesn't mean you can say that the leaves can't be seen. Tell me that the Empire State Building can't be seen, and I'll tell you 'stop lying to my face', not 'oh, obviously you mean that a specific hypothetical person wouldn't be able to see the ESB because they're standing too far away and/or their eyeballs were gouged out by a rabid anteater'.

Fifthly, the other hints are not sufficient to solve the riddle on their own. Something 'that's taller than trees; up and up it goes, and yet never grows' is hardly very specific. Skyscrapers, waterfalls, high-voltage power poles, exceptionally large wall-mounted moose antlers; any number of things fit those criteria.

The riddle is broken. Q.E.D.

-Favorite videogame franchise?

-What is the meaning of life?

-Any opinions regarding the upcoming MLP movie event?

-Who am I?

-Favorite dessert?

-How can I create a doomsday device using old car parts?

- Minecraft because it's literally the only video game that I play.

- This was a hard question for me to answer. Spoilered below for those who do not wish existentialism upon their own heads.

Spoiler

Capture.PNG.c59563027b34880bd6fe45fcfd53f6a5.PNG

- THIS IS THE MOST HYPED I HAVE BEEN FOR ANYTHING EVER IT'S GONNA BE AMAZING AHHHHHHH

- This was also a hard question for me to answer. Again, spoilered below for those who do not wish existentialism upon their own heads.

Spoiler

Capture.PNG.f4cb030092347803cb196af8cc1b1bdb.PNG

- Berry cheesecake, hands down.

- First step: get a centillion of whatever car part/s you want to use and cobble them together into a random device inn your garage.
  Second step: Do the maths and realise that the vast collective mass of the centillion of whatever car part/s you wanted to use is about 10^277 times greater that of the earth, 10^262 times greater than that of the Milky Way, and 10^246 times greater than that of the entire observable universe. Note that it doesn't actually matter how good your garage-device-cobbling skills are.
  Third step: Get some popcorn and watch as the entire observable universe plus the centillion of whatever car part/s you wanted to use implode into a black hole approximately 10^250 times bigger than the observable universe, assuming some macro-macro-scale heretofore-unknown physics effect doesn't kick in and make the light show even more spectacular.
  Fourth step: ???
  Fifth step: Profit.

• Brohoof 1

On 2017/9/17 at 0:02 PM, Duality said:

An exceptionally hairy coconut was Stalin's most trusted confidante and adviser in political matters, quickly becoming invaluable in his rise to power. In a desperate attempt to discredit and ridicule the newly-elected dictator, the American government began a smear campaign centring around his trusted lieutenant, claiming that their scientists had discovered that coconuts didn't even qualify as sentient, due to their non-mammalian nature, and the fact that Stalin took advice from one was grounds to question his sanity. Stalin quickly exiled his second-in-command to a remote island in the Pacific, fearing that he would lose his hard-won reputation and be replaced as head of his country, a victory that America's leadership decided to commemorate by integrating the falsehoods behind it into their very schooling system.

To this day, America still teaches their children that coconuts aren't mammals, and the lieutenant's legacy still lives on in the covert coconut revenge movement that plagues Australia. Hundreds of innocents lose their lives each year as a result of their dread guerrilla c

This is the most exceptional coconut tale I've ever seen. Long live the great and powerful coconut!

(does this allude to Trotsky or Zhukov? xD) 

3 hours ago, Driz said:

12 11
31 12
13 21 12
31 13 22
?

Can you write the next line of numbers following this logic? :orly:

I tried every sequence and mathematical operation I know. Then I punched it in Python and ran it for an hours to see if it detect any pattern...

Then....

Spoiler

I gave up and looked up on Quora and was like 'lol.........................................' 

Good one though! :) 

Follow up questions Version 2:

If Jack has 2 apples and Jill has 3 apples why don't they just shut up and eat? 

Spoiler

(and if you recognize where this come from, how do you feel about that show :P ) 

• Brohoof 1

Thanks, buddy.

It's resentful admissions of my grandiloquence like this that just put the cherry on top of the icecream sundae that is my life. :smug:

Always happy to help raise someone I like's self esteem :sunshower: 

Firstly, I have seen many mountains completely devoid of trees. Go Google Nepal or something.

Secondly, the mountain does not have leaves, it has trees which have leaves. It's the same as the difference between saying "Cats have fleas" and saying "Cats have bloodsucking proboscises". Means completely different things.

Thirdly, it's aforementioned. Argh.

Fourthly, 'this thing can't be done' means 'this thing is not possible', not 'this thing is not possible for a hypothetical person on whom certain conditions apply'. It is obviously possible for people to see the trees' leaves if they are close enough and, if they have binoculars, even if they're far away, therefore the leaves can be seen. Sure, people can't see the trees' leaves if they're very, very far away or wearing a blindfold or in an alternate universe where trees don't exist or in the normal universe but in the future after Arnold Schwarzenegger blew up all the trees because he couldn't have pancakes for breakfast, but that doesn't mean you can say that the leaves can't be seen. Tell me that the Empire State Building can't be seen, and I'll tell you 'stop lying to my face', not 'oh, obviously you mean that a specific hypothetical person wouldn't be able to see the ESB because they're standing too far away and/or their eyeballs were gouged out by a rabid anteater'.

Fifthly, the other hints are not sufficient to solve the riddle on their own. Something 'that's taller than trees; up and up it goes, and yet never grows' is hardly very specific. Skyscrapers, waterfalls, high-voltage power poles, exceptionally large wall-mounted moose antlers; any number of things fit those criteria.

The riddle is broken. Q.E.D.

THIS IS AN AUTOMATED COPIED-AND-PASTED MESSAGE. To find out my thoughts in regard to what I quoted, please refer to: the first thing you quoted in your last post.

- Minecraft because it's literally the only video game that I play.

I am proud and disappointed at the same time what is this feeling

- This was a hard question for me to answer. Spoilered below for those who do not wish existentialism upon their own heads.

- This was also a hard question for me to answer. Again, spoilered below for those who do not wish existentialism upon their own heads.

What is this, "Ask Duality: Google Search Edition"? I was expecting some metaphysics shenanigans. WHAT DID YOU DO TO THE REAL DUALITY, YOU DOPPELGANGER?

i legitimately got caught off by that how dare you sir

- THIS IS THE MOST HYPED I HAVE BEEN FOR ANYTHING EVER IT'S GONNA BE AMAZING AHHHHHHH

I sure hope so. Although the outrageously unnecessary amount of new characters is just SCREAMING "WE NEED TO SELL MORE TOYS!!" in my face. Still, that doesn't mean the movie can't be good. But hey, at least it's not just another EQG, right?

- Berry cheesecake, hands down.

Surprisingly specific. As a dessert fanatic, I respect that.

- First step: get a centillion of whatever car part/s you want to use and cobble them together into a random device inn your garage.
  Second step: Do the maths and realise that the vast collective mass of the centillion of whatever car part/s you wanted to use is about 10^277 times greater that of the earth, 10^262 times greater than that of the Milky Way, and 10^246 times greater than that of the entire observable universe. Note that it doesn't actually matter how good your garage-device-cobbling skills are.
  Third step: Get some popcorn and watch as the entire observable universe plus the centillion of whatever car part/s you wanted to use implode into a black hole approximately 10^250 times bigger than the observable universe, assuming some macro-macro-scale heretofore-unknown physics effect doesn't kick in and make the light show even more spectacular.
  Fourth step: ???
  Fifth step: Profit.

Instructions unclear, got hand stuck inside rusty engine

MORE QUESTIONS WOOOHOOOOO

-Do you still live with your parents? (Just to make sure, you are not allowed to answer anything similar to what I answered.)

-Favorite MLP villain? (Including the ones who got reformed eventually)

-Favorite movie?

-How can I turn my toaster into a lethal ranged weapon?

Edited by TheOneGuy0000
  • Brohoof 1

On ‎19‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 9:38 PM, Driz said:

12 11
31 12
13 21 12
31 13 22
?

Can you write the next line of numbers following this logic?

On ‎20‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 0:36 AM, Driz said:

*hiss*

I want the water horse to answer! D:<

(But no, that was not the correct solution.)

While I am flattered by your overestimation of my imaginative faculties, I banged my head against it for an hour or two, failed miserably, and mentally cried when I went and looked it up. I'm an analytical thinker, not an especially creative one, and my brain hurts too much now to make up a witty excuse for why I didn't manage to solve it.

Apologies for any disappointment caused, my dear Driz. :unsure:

On ‎19‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 10:43 PM, Twilight Witch said:

41 31 13 22 

I DEMAND TO BE APPEASED WITH QUESTIONS, PEON.

On ‎20‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 1:47 AM, Quantum Pony said:

Follow up questions Version 2:

If Jack has 2 apples and Jill has 3 apples why don't they just stop talking and eat? 

Reveal hidden contents

(and if you recognize where this come from, how do you feel about that show :P ) 

Because Jack has Big Mac and Braeburn and Jill has Granny Smith, Applejack, and Apple Bloom, and neither Jack or Jill are cannibals.

Spoiler

Alternatively, they are, but they just like monologuing about maths problems to their soon-to-become victims.

Now that is what I call sadism.

And I have no idea what show that comes from; MLP is literally the only TV show I watch (I've never owned a TV, and neither did my family when I was younger).

On ‎20‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 7:57 AM, TheOneGuy0000 said:

I am proud and disappointed at the same time what is this feeling

I get that a lot.

What is this, "Ask Duality: Google Search Edition"? I was expecting some metaphysics shenanigans. WHAT DID YOU DO TO THE REAL DUALITY, YOU DOPPELGANGER?

i legitimately got caught off by that how dare you sir

Hey, I've gotta change up my act every now and again. There's only so much blunt-force nerdness that people can take.

I sure hope so. Although the outrageously unnecessary amount of new characters is just SCREAMING "WE NEED TO SELL MORE TOYS!!" in my face. Still, that doesn't mean the movie can't be good. But hey, at least it's not just another EQG, right?

It's got so many popular musicians lined up to make original music for its soundtrack that even my emphatically non-brony brother is hyped about it now - not to mention the insane voice talents they've got going and the animation looks so good ahhhhhhh.

Instructions unclear, got hand stuck inside rusty engine

Good.

I have far more epic plans for the universe's imminent destruction than a mere black-hole-orders-of-magnitude-of-orders-of-magnitude-larger-than-the-observable-universe scenario.

Do you still live with your parents? (Just to make sure, you are not allowed to answer anything similar to what I answered.)

I live in a comfy suburban cottage with my idiot brother who still hasn't gotten himself his own house yet and a couple of cats. I still maintain a healthy correspondence with my parents, though.

Favorite MLP villain? (Including the ones who got reformed eventually)

I think King Sombra had the most lore behind him. His evil was the ancient and irrevocably malicious sort, and I respect that about him. Especially in GlimGlam's alternate timeline; there was some impressive capacity for terror in play there. And in the comics, where they give him the unrivalled line 'Destruction is my talent and darkness is my cutie mark'.

Seriously, I'm sure the only reason they didn't give the guy more screentime was because they wanted to keep their G-equivalent rating.

Favorite movie?

Wreck-it Ralph is right up there in my books. Such a domino-topple of a masterworked plotline and such adorably heartfelt feels.

How can I turn my toaster into a lethal ranged weapon?

Easy. Turn it on and stick some toast in it. Repeat until nothing but violently dispersed organs remains in your field of fire.

Edited by Duality
  • Brohoof 2

It's got so many popular musicians lined up to make original music for its soundtrack that even my emphatically non-brony brother is hyped about it now - not to mention the insane voice talents they've got going and the animation looks so good ahhhhhhh.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who really digs the animation, as I've heard very mixed feelings about it among the fandom, but I figured it was about time they tried something new.

Probably won't be able to see it in the cinemas though.  :(

I have far more epic plans for the universe's imminent destruction than a mere black-hole-orders-of-magnitude-of-orders-of-magnitude-larger-than-the-observable-universe scenario.

. . .

Go on.

I live in a comfy suburban cottage with my idiot brother who still hasn't gotten himself his own house yet and a couple of cats. I still maintain a healthy correspondence with my parents, though.

Cottage, huh? And cats? Sounds like the dream to me.

I think King Sombra had the most lore behind him. His evil was the ancient and irrevocably malicious sort, and I respect that about him. Especially in GlimGlam's alternate timeline; there was some impressive capacity for terror in play there. And in the comics, where they give him the unrivalled line 'Destruction is my talent and darkness is my cutie mark'.

Ah, that episode. Talk about fanservice. Had a blast watching it

pretty sure the crystal war alternate timeline is based on an old, very popular fanfiction

But yeah, Sombra is certainly one of the most powerful, more interesting villains in the show. Too bad he only made an appearance as a laughing gray cloud and in an alternate timeline, most likely for the reason you suggested.

Wreck-it Ralph is right up there in my books. Such a domino-topple of a masterworked plotline and such adorably heartfelt feels.

Huh, I was expecting something like The Theory of Everything, or maybe Interstellar. Wreck-it Ralph is an animated masterpiece, though.

MORE QUESTIONS

-What's the most awkward situation you've ever been in?

-Favorite gem?

-Ever heard of/played the MLP Gameloft Mobile game?

-What's your favorite Iron Man armor? (every nerd who likes marvel has one)

-Have you met the Eye of Sauron yet?

Edited by TheOneGuy0000
  • Brohoof 1

13 hours ago, TheOneGuy0000 said:

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who really digs the animation, as I've heard very mixed feelings about it among the fandom, but I figured it was about time they tried something new.

The animation is undeniably amazing, its just that some people think it'll throw off our perception of the characters. They may be right, but certainly not in my case.

If anything, they look even more like the characters I know and love in the movie's animation style.

Probably won't be able to see it in the cinemas though.  :(

aw no poor tuxedo

is it because you have no money to go see it

. . .

Go on.

nu

i'm not dumb enough to monologue my entire plan away to someone else

how could you even think that about me

Cottage, huh? And cats? Sounds like the dream to me.

It's pretty great, I won't deny.

Huh, I was expecting something like The Theory of Everything, or maybe Interstellar. Wreck-it Ralph is an animated masterpiece, though

Never seen tToE, partially because Hawking hasn't come up with an actual ToE yet any more than anyone else has, but I certainly enjoyed Interstellar. One of the most commendably physically accurate sci-fi movies I've ever seen.

As a side-note, in my opinion, the icing on the cake that is Wreck-it Ralph is the sheer number of vidjagaem references and easter eggs in it. They spent a lot of work making that movie as realistic and immersing as humanly possible.

What's the most awkward situation you've ever been in?

I don't really get into a lot of awkward situations, so I can't think of any particularly notable ones off the top of my head, I'm afraid.

Favorite gem?

Easy. Moissanite, the silicon carbide crystal. Looks like diamond, just about as strong, and effectively only found naturally in a handful of meteorite impact sites.

Nothing says 'valuable' like 'meteorite impact site'.

Ever heard of/played the MLP Gameloft Mobile game?

Heard of it a few times, but never come close to playing. Do you know if it's any good?

What's your favorite Iron Man armor? (every nerd who likes marvel has one)

i actually don't keep track of them how can i not be a nerd what is my life if not nerdy such existential crisis ahhhhhhh

wait no the one that he put the little triangle arc reactor in

the one where he figured out that his dad invented a new element for arc reaction and encoded it in the architectural plan

that one was pretty kewl

Have you met the Eye of Sauron yet?

sauron doesn't have an 'i' in it  Of course I have! Ronny and I play quoits every second weekend! Nice guy, but the dread armour can get a little awkward when he tries to use the little boys' room. As for his eye, well, let's just say he's a crack shot with the ring-tossing. Only one who comes close to beating me in the 1-on-1 tourneys, don'tcha know.

Edited by Duality

The animation is undeniably amazing, its just that some people think it'll throw off our perception of the characters. They may be right, but certainly not in my case.

If anything, they look even more like the characters I know and love in the movie's animation style.

Completely agreed. I also love the more organic feel of the animation, it really does add to the cuteness  :squee:

The pony villain is a tad too similar to NMM and Chrisalis, at least as far as the trailers go, but the broken horn certainly is an intriguing concept.

There was an event in the mlp gameloft game celebrating the movie where you could get both Songbird Serenade and Tempest herself, and i managed to get them both! You also learn more about her backstory, but nothing that would spoil the movie. If you wish to know more I beg you to ask me

aw no poor tuxedo

is it because you have no money to go see it

why do I feel like you're mocking me

No, it's because my country is rather oldschool, remember? You think someone as socially awkward as me would have the guts to show up there asking for a ticket to the mlp movie and sit in a cinema packed with underage girls? Ugh, I can already imagine the parents' judgmental glares.

Besides, it wouldn't be worth it if it was dubbed. If a subbed version is confirmed to play, I'll try my best to figure something out.

nu

i'm not dumb enough to monologue my entire plan away to someone else

how could you even think that about me

Sheesh, I was just curious. I can only imagine you know about a million possible ways to destroy everything, so the one option you chose is probably pretty gosh darn interesting.

Never seen tToE, partially because Hawking hasn't come up with an actual ToE yet any more than anyone else has, but I certainly enjoyed Interstellar. One of the most commendably physically accurate sci-fi movies I've ever seen.

I watched it with a few of my old classmates some time ago, and while they thought it was silly and boring, I really enjoyed it. All of them were always much better at physics than me, too, so there's that. I suppose I was able to appreciate the artistic side of it and the research that must've been done before writing the script. It was just an overall well-paced and interesting movie.

Never did watch the whole Wreck-It Ralph movie, actually, just tidbits of it.

I don't really get into a lot of awkward situations, so I can't think of any particularly notable ones off the top of my head, I'm afraid.

Mmmhhhhmmm. Suuuuure.

Easy. Moissanite, the silicon carbide crystal. Looks like diamond, just about as strong, and effectively only found naturally in a handful of meteorite impact sites.

Nothing says 'valuable' like 'meteorite impact site'.

Everything about you is just so peculiarly exquisite, isn't it?  :twi:

Gotta admit, never heard of it before, but judging by your description it's safe to say it's in my top ten as of now. Must be pretty expensive, though.

Heard of it a few times, but never come close to playing. Do you know if it's any good?

Been playing it for over two years now, actually. It's certainly a very interesting spin on the whole "build-your-city" game type. There are three types of buildings: decoration, houses and shops. Decorations is pretty self-explanatory. Houses... house ponies, which you can level up and assign to shops to produce money. Shops produce money, obviously.

There are several areas you can travel to aside from Ponyville, like Sweet Apple Acres, Canterlot, The Everfree, the Crystal Empire, and as of recent, the Changeling Kingdom. They each have their unique storyline quest-series paralleling events from the show.

The developer team and support team are very proactive and interact with the players all the time. I even asked them for help with a problem I had recently, and they responded pretty quickly. Suffice to say, they did easily solve my problem, otherwise I wouldn't be mentioning this.

There are, of course, in-app purchases, but you can get trough the game just fine without them. And if nothing else, it's just fun collecting and playing with all your favorite underrated ponies from the show, as well as building your own Equestria with lots of iconic elements from the show. Like all these sorts of games, it does take quite some time to make progress without the in-app purchases, but I still definitely recommend it. :grin:

If you decide to give it a try someday, make sure to let me know, as there's a special screen at the beginning of the game where it asks you if you were invited to play the game by another player, and if you insert my friend code in there we both get some pretty sweet rewards as you make progress (it only works for beginners).

i actually don't keep track of them how can i not be a nerd what is my life if not nerdy such existential crisis ahhhhhhh

wait no the one that he put the little triangle arc reactor in

the one where he figured out that his dad invented a new element for arc reaction and encoded it in the architectural plan

that one was pretty kewl

Are you talking about Mark 6?

. . .

You're a very kind and intelligent guy, Duality, but your iron man knowledge is very, very...    lacking.

I mean, it's the 6th armor, and it has a triangle as its reactor-core! There's an Illuminati joke to be made there! C'mon!

sauron doesn't have an 'i' in it  Of course I have! Ronny and I play quoits every second weekend! Nice guy, but the dread armour can get a little awkward when he tries to use the little boys' room. As for his eye, well, let's just say he's a crack shot with the ring-tossing. Only one who comes close to beating me in the 1-on-1 tourneys, don'tcha know.

. . .

Why am I not surprised in the slightest?

QUESTION TIME

-Favorite type of tea?

-Favorite architectural style?

-Any opinions on Tempest Shadow?

And last, but certainly not least...

-Who is the best out of Twilight, Celestia, Luna and Cadence? You must only pick one of the given options.

I'd like to see you cheat your way out of this one. Actually I wouldn't, just properly answer the question already. I won't be too mad if you don't choose the right answer.

Edited by TheOneGuy0000
  • Brohoof 1

12 hours ago, TheOneGuy0000 said:

Completely agreed. I also love the more organic feel of the animation, it really does add to the cuteness  :squee:

:squee::squee::squee:

There was an event in the mlp gameloft game celebrating the movie where you could get both Songbird Serenade and Tempest herself, and i managed to get them both! You also learn more about her backstory, but nothing that would spoil the movie. If you wish to know more I beg you to ask me

Thanks, but I want my movie experience to be a clean slate, no spoilers whatsoever.

why do I feel like you're mocking me

Nope, legitimate sympathy. I'm too hyped about it to just casually mock people for not being able to go watch it.

No, it's because my country is rather oldschool, remember? You think someone as socially awkward as me would have the guts to show up there asking for a ticket to the mlp movie and sit in a cinema packed with underage girls? Ugh, I can already imagine the parents' judgmental glares.

Wow. How old-school is your country?

Every country I know of is completely chill about adults going to see children's animated movies. As for my country, well, my grandfather went to see Bambi in cinemas both when it first came out and when the 50th anniversary remastering came out, both times as an adult, without anyone so much as batting an eyelid, even the first time when the 'men have feelings too' societal movement was still decades in the making.

I was just curious. I can only imagine you know about a million possible ways to destroy everything, so the one option you chose is probably pretty interesting.

Well... I suppose I might be able to tell you...

I have to ask, though, you aren't a protagonist, are you?

I watched it with a few of my old classmates some time ago, and while they thought it was silly and boring, I really enjoyed it. All of them were always much better at physics than me, too, so there's that.

dem stodgy stuck-up science guys eh

Never did watch the whole Wreck-It Ralph movie, actually, just tidbits of it.

WHAT GO GO GO WATCH IT NAO DO ET I TELL YOU

Mmmhhhhmmm. Suuuuure.

In clarification: by saying 'I don't get into many awkward situations' I mean 'I don't have a social life'.

Methinks that might be slightly easier to believe.

Everything about you is just so peculiarly exquisite, isn't it?

Gotta admit, never heard of it before, but judging by your description it's safe to say it's in my top ten as of now. Must be pretty expensive, though.

awww thx tux m'man

Also, if you want to know what you're putting into your top ten, there's a whole Wikipedia page on moissanite. On the whole, it's not actually that expensive - people use it for sawblades - because it's fairly straightforward to industrially synthesise. The natural stuff is insanely valuable, though.

If you decide to give it a try someday, make sure to let me know, as there's a special screen at the beginning of the game where it asks you if you were invited to play the game by another player, and if you insert my friend code in there we both get some pretty sweet rewards as you make progress (it only works for beginners).

Actually sounds pretty fun. I shall have to see about getting my hands on it one of these days.

Are you talking about Mark 6?

. . .

You're a very kind and intelligent guy, Duality, but your iron man knowledge is very, very...    lacking.

I mean, it's the 6th armor, and it has a triangle as its reactor-core! There's an Illuminati joke to be made there! C'mon!

Hey, I didn't even know that obsessing over specific versions of Iron Man's armour was even a thing!

You gotta admit it's pretty niche.

. . .

Why am I not surprised in the slightest?

Well, Ron doesn't usually come across as a quoits person. People usually peg him as the checkers type.

Favorite type of tea?

Tea's just insipid plant-water. Berry tea is probably my favourite, but only because the plant in the water tastes tolerable even when diluted into insipidity.

Before you lynch me, note that I don't drink coffee, either, nor have I ever even tasted Coca-Cola in my entire life, let alone made a habit out of drinking anything similar. I stand very firmly in no-man's-land here.

Quite fond of water, though.

Favorite architectural style?

Something along the lines of Marconian neo-Gothicism. The Bernoulli Cathedral's bas-relief façade is a good example of the style.

just kidding i'm not that kind of nerd

if you want architecture buffs, just look for people that no-one ever invites to casual dinner get-togethers

Any opinions on Tempest Shadow?

Yes.

Spoiler

Oh, you want to know what they are?

If you insist.

She's epically edgily emo, and I love that she's now canon.

Plus, she's Blunt, so I'm pretty sure it's not even possible for her to be a let-down.

Who is the best out of Twilight, Celestia, Luna and Cadence? You must only pick one of the given options.

I'd like to see you cheat your way out of this one. Actually I wouldn't, just properly answer the question already. I won't be too mad if you don't choose the right answer.

I don't have favourite ponies any more than I have favourite humans.

Sure, there are some that I have a lot in common with, some that I enjoy the company of more than others, and some that I suit in temperament quite well, but I don't critique them based on such self-centric standards, because to do so is entirely pointless and somewhat odious. 

I'm afraid I don't have a proper answer for you, my good sir, and I likely never will.

1 hour ago, Penguinbrony24 said:

Just how MUCH of a science nerd are you?

I have read large nonfiction tomes on general relativity for fun?

I have audibly squeed over physical phenomena?

I have uttered the words 'I should graph that' in an awed voice?

I look down on biology as 'too applied'?

I also look down on chemistry as 'too applied'?

I occasionally look down on physics as 'too applied'?

I can name specific conversations when I have talked to layfolk on the topics of time dilation and higher-dimensional Platonic-Solid-analogues (not both within single conversations, though) and explained them so comprehensibly and logically that I actually enabled them to understand what I was talking about?

I can link the little electric shock you get when you touch a piece of metal that has been left in the sun too long to the experiment that began the shift from classical to quantum physics?

I have fanguyed over dimensional analysis?

I have made bad celestial-mechanics puns?

I enjoy pointing out that exactly-localised elementary particles occupy zero volume according to the Standard Model, thus, according to current physical knowledge, the universe is exactly 0% matter by volume?

I'm afraid I'm not sure what criteria you judge science-nerdness by, so I can't really give you a straight answer.

Thanks, but I want my movie experience to be a clean slate, no spoilers whatsoever.

Very well, I respect your decision :proud:

Wow. How old-school is your country?

Every country I know of is completely chill about adults going to see children's animated movies. As for my country, well, my grandfather went to see Bambi in cinemas both when it first came out and when the 50th anniversary remastering came out, both times as an adult, without anyone so much as batting an eyelid, even the first time when the 'men have feelings too' societal movement was still decades in the making.

Well, it's not remotely close to being illegal or anything like that, but it is very unusual, and therefore generally frowned upon. I suppose I could just book a seat way in the back...  :blush:

Well... I suppose I might be able to tell you...

I have to ask, though, you aren't a protagonist, are you?

We're all the protagonists of our own story. But in the colossal sitcom-soap-opera that is life, I think I'd either be a high-ranked goon or a mediocre villain. So no. 

Actually sounds pretty fun. I shall have to see about getting my hands on it one of these days.

Alright, sweet! Just "make sure to let me know™"! :D

I NEED THE SWEET SWEET GEMS MAN DON'T DEPRIVE ME OF THEM SWEET GEMS oh yeah you get just as many as me so there's that

Hey, I didn't even know that obsessing over specific versions of Iron Man's armour was even a thing!

You gotta admit it's pretty niche.

Oh, the impertinence! Why, I would never!

Goofy stuff aside, there are over forty of them in the MCU at this point, almost each of them with a distinctive purpose and features. It helps remembering the nicknames and such, but pretty much every modern iron man fan can recognize the first seven.

And no, it is not "obsessing" nor "niche" how DARE you

dem stodgy stuck-up science guys eh

It's a little ironic, is all I'm saying. :P

WHAT GO GO GO WATCH IT NAO DO ET I TELL YOU

I WOULD BUT I HAVEN'T FULLY CAUGHT UP WITH MLP AND RICK AND MORTY AND OTHER MOVIES I NEED TO WATCH AND AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

Tea's just insipid plant-water. Berry tea is probably my favourite, but only because the plant in the water tastes tolerable even when diluted into insipidity.

Before you lynch me, note that I don't drink coffee, either, nor have I ever even tasted Coca-Cola in my entire life, let alone made a habit out of drinking anything similar. I stand very firmly in no-man's-land here.

Quite fond of water, though.

. . .

Well ain't that something an' a half.

(I certainly hope you're aware of the meta-ness of that statement)

(Duality is a cannibal confirmed)

Something along the lines of Marconian neo-Gothicism. The Bernoulli Cathedral's bas-relief façade is a good example of the style.

just kidding i'm not that kind of nerd

if you want architecture buffs, just look for people that no-one ever invites to casual dinner get-togethers

This is completely unnecessary you're roasting both of us staph

She's epically edgily emo, and I love that she's now canon.

Plus, she's Blunt, so I'm pretty sure it's not even possible for her to be a let-down

Yet again, entirely agreed. Nothing in the MLP universe like the villains calling the ponies out on their somewhat impractical adorable-ness (which eventually is the very thing that helps them defeat the villain, closing the circle and raising the irony levels by 200%)

I don't have favourite ponies any more than I have favourite humans.

Sure, there are some that I have a lot in common with, some that I enjoy the company of more than others, and some that I suit in temperament quite well, but I don't critique them based on such self-centric standards, because to do so is entirely pointless and somewhat odious. 

I'm afraid I don't have a proper answer for you, my good sir, and I likely never will.

. . .

HOW!?

IT WAS A TRICK QUESTION, YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO ANSWER WITH ONE OF THEM AND I WOULD'VE RESPONDED WITH WHAT YOU JUST SAID AND BAMBOOZLED YOU, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND!

HOW ARE YOU ALWAYS ONE STEP AHEAD OF ME!?

anyway great answer 10/10 would ask again

MORE QUESTIONSSZZSZSZSZ

-Apples or pears? (The fruit, not the clans in the show. Although you could just answer both while we're at it.)

-Any opinions on Nightmare Rarity?

-Ever played THIS: 

No Touching! [Flash]

(It is 100% safe and just as adorable, you have my word.)

-Worst question ever warning: favorite color?

-Tuxedos or suits?

Edited by TheOneGuy0000
  • Brohoof 1

A few questions:

1. If you could have a lever of any length, how long would it have to be to move the Earth one Earth-length (pole-to-pole) upwards (along the axis) given that the fulcrum is the orbit of Mars, (minimum distance from Earth)?

2. How long would it take to completely fill up an Olympic-size swimming pool with water if the pump was the heart of a Blue-throated Hummingbird?

3. How many drops of water are in the Great Lakes of North America?

4. And now, the most important question of all... Cake or pie?

Edited by TigerGeekGuy
  • Brohoof 1

On 2017/9/20 at 3:53 PM, Duality said:

And I have no idea what show that comes from; MLP is literally the only TV show I watch (I've never owned a TV, and neither did my family when I was younger).

Ahh I see, well but just incase you're interested, it's from Courage the Cowardly dog :P . 

On 2017/9/22 at 2:06 PM, Duality said:

I enjoy pointing out that exactly-localised elementary particles occupy zero volume according to the Standard Model, thus, according to current physical knowledge, the universe is exactly 0% matter by volume?

Interesting thought!

But I'm wondering is it (in total) really zero volume if two particles can't always be in the same volume :ooh:?

More questions Version 2.5:

Donald Duck or Daffy Duck 

• Brohoof 1

On ‎23‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 4:32 AM, TheOneGuy0000 said:

I suppose I could just book a seat way in the back...  :blush:

You must ask yourself... is it truly worth it?

And then you must answer 'yes, because magick smolhoers'.

And then you must go and book yourself a seat in the back.

Also, if anyone looks at you funny, just yell 'DUALITY MADE ME DO ET' at the top of your lungs.

That should clear up any confusion.

We're all the protagonists of our own story. But in the colossal sitcom-soap-opera that is life, I think I'd either be a high-ranked goon or a mediocre villain. So no. 

Good, good; I suppose I can afford to divulge a few secrets...

My master plan is as follows:

1. Build a death ray and send it into orbit
  2. LOL manically at random generic protagonists trying to sabotage my fake death ray
  3. Get bored of messing with stupid generic protags and secretly just spike the president's tequila with glitter glue
  4. LOL manically at random influential politicians trying to stop the free world dissolving into anarchy
  5. Get bored of messing with stupid influential politicians and shine an inadvisably large laser pointer at Venus, thereby sending the entire planet into an unstable orbit aimed directly at Earth due to global warming and other science stuff that the protag probably exposited to the audience way back in Chapter Ten
  6. LOL manically at random elite astronauts trying to explode the renegade Venus
  7. Get bored of messing with stupid elite astronauts and secretly spike S5 0014+81 with glitter glue
  8. LOL manically at random alien race revealing itself to humankind solely to cooperate with us in an attempt to try and stop the universe exploding
  9. Get bored of messing with stupid aliens and retire to become a barista
  10. Realise that, actually, the entire universe got destroyed way back at step 1 because the generic protags were no match for your vast intellect and the fabric of reality was no match for your death ray, even though the latter was supposed to be fake
  11. LOL manically
  12. Repeat as needed

Genius, amirite?

And no, it is not "obsessing" nor "niche" how DARE you

it so is

It's a little ironic, is all I'm saying. :P

Not really; you need a decent sense of wonder to fully appreciate the intricacies of advanced physics, something that is tragically lacking in most all formal education criteria for doing well in the subject.

. . .

Well ain't that something an' a half.

(I certainly hope you're aware of the meta-ness of that statement)

(Duality is a cannibal confirmed)

Of course I'm aware of the meta-ness.

Meta is love meta is life and all that sort of thing.

Also, it's not technically cannibalism if you eat yourself.

This is completely unnecessary you're roasting both of us staph

Maybe I'm roasting you, but I'm certainly not an architecture buff, thank you very much.

I just ad-libbed the whole Bernoulli Cathedral dealio.

HOW!?

IT WAS A TRICK QUESTION, YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO ANSWER WITH ONE OF THEM AND I WOULD'VE RESPONDED WITH WHAT YOU JUST SAID AND BAMBOOZLED YOU, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND!

HOW ARE YOU ALWAYS ONE STEP AHEAD OF ME!?

I advise not trying to stay 'one step' ahead of me.

Just hire a go-kart and try and overtake me when I stop for repairs.

Apples or pears? (The fruit, not the clans in the show. Although you could just answer both while we're at it.)

My response to both questions: T109s are best fruit.

Riddle me this.

Any opinions on Nightmare Rarity?

Nightmarity, methinks, and not really besides that she looks sweg.

Ever played THIS: 

No Touching! [Flash]

(It is 100% safe and just as adorable, you have my word.)

I lost quarter of an hour of my precious life playing that adorably addictive game when you posted that.

How dare you sir.

How dare you.

Worst question ever warning: favorite color?

Purple.

Not booksmart purple, before you go getting any fav-pony ideas (also that's racist how dare you sir), just purple.

Tuxedos or suits?

Tuxedos are just suits but with extra satin, so suits.

I looked it up how dare you even consider arguing with me sir.

On ‎24‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 6:15 PM, TigerGeekGuy said:

If you could have a lever of any length, how long would it have to be to move the Earth one Earth-length (pole-to-pole) upwards (along the axis) given that the fulcrum is the orbit of Mars, (minimum distance from Earth)?

Earth's pole-to-pole diameter (rounded up) = 40,000,000 m.

Orbit of Mars (minimum earth-distance, rounded up) = 55,000,000,000 m (theoretical only, never actually recorded as ever getting that close).

By Pythagoras' kindergarten-level theorem, the lever would have to be a minimum of about 55,000,000,000 m long (Earth's diameter is negligible; answer rounded down).

Unfortunately, you didn't specify what force was to be applied to the other end of the lever to effect such a shift in Earth's position, so I'll just substitute the Earth-gravity-weight-force value of one Archimedes (I assume you were thinking of him, since he was the one who said "give me a lever and a place to stand, and I will move the Earth").

Equally unfortunately, we don't know how much good old Archie weighed, so I won't actually substitute in one Archimedes (I just wanted to sound smart by quoting him). I'll just substitute in one Duality (because I'm totally equivalent to an Archimedes, don't contradict me on this).

My Earth-gravity-weight-force is about 600 N, because I'm rather slim-built (although I prefer the word 'svelte'), and the Earth-gravity-weight-force of Earth (I hope you understand how meta this is) is about 60,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 N. If the Earth-end of the lever is 55,000,000,000 m long, then, by balancing torques, there needs to be 5,500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 m of lever (on top of the Earth-to-Mars-orbit distance, but that's kinda negligible here, don'tcha think).

For scale, that's about 300,000,000,000,000,000,000 times bigger than the solar system, so you've probably exceeded the budget of your thought experiment buying the materials to make a lever that long (not to mention how thick it would have to be to withstand that much torque).

And that's assuming some macro-scale Earth-magnitude normal-to-reference-plane constant gravitational field both surrounding you and Earth, which is physically impossible without some serious sciencing (probably involving black holes and/or dark matter because you've already exceeded your budget so why not).

How long would it take to completely fill up an Olympic-size swimming pool with water if the pump was the heart of a Blue-throated Hummingbird?

Your average hummingbird's heart (can't get stats specifically for blue-throateds because even the internet has its limits) can pump about 0.000125 L per second.

Olympic swimming pools are 2,500,000 L.

Thus, your average hummingbird's heart could fill an Olympics swimming pool in about 650 years.

Good luck with that one.

How many drops of water are in the Great Lakes of North America?

Combined volume of all Great Lakes is around 22,500,000,000,000,000 L.

The volume of a drop - whaddaya know, that's actually a standardised unit used by pharmacists - is exactly 0.00005 L.

Therefore, there's about 450,000,000,000,000,000,000 drops of water total in the Lakes.

That's a boring big number, so I'll put it like this: You can fit about 50 drops of water on an American penny (I don't know why that's a thing but apparently that's Google-search-worthy enough for it to be one of my suggested searches, so hey). There are about 300,000,000,000 American pennies that have ever been made.

Working the maths through on that one, there are enough drops of water in the Great Lakes to coat the upper surface of all of America's pennies 300 trillion times over. Yay for patriotism.

And now, the most important question of all... Cake or pie?

Cake, but only if it's cheesecake. All other flavours would have to be on a case-by-case basis.

13 hours ago, Quantum Pony said:

Interesting thought!

But I'm wondering is it (in total) really zero volume if two particles can't always be in the same volume :ooh:?

In a sense.

Volume measured in terms of empty space isn't the same as volume measured in terms of regions-of-space-not-directly-under-the-influence-of-nearby-point-particles, so it depends on which you take your definition of 'volume' to be based on.

13 hours ago, Quantum Pony said:

Donald Duck or Daffy Duck 

Must I even specify?

DUCK DODGERS FTW

Edited by Duality
  • Brohoof 3

First off, noice.

2 hours ago, Duality said:

Unfortunately, you didn't specify what force was to be applied to the other end of the lever to effect such a shift in Earth's position, so I'll just substitute the Earth-gravity-weight-force value of one Archimedes (I assume you were thinking of him, since he was the one who said "give me a lever and a place to stand, and I will move the Earth").

You are correct, I was thinking of him.

Equally unfortunately, we don't know how much good old Archie weighed, so I won't actually substitute in one Archimedes (I just wanted to sound smart by quoting him). I'll just substitute in one Duality (because I'm totally equivalent to an Archimedes, don't contradict me on this).

Pfft.

The volume of a drop - whaddaya know, that's actually a standardised unit used by pharmacists - is exactly 0.00005 L.

Huh, the more you know...

Ok, more questions:

1. Is it possible for Science to go too far?

2. If given the chance to know, would you like to know how you die?

3. What would be scarier; finding out that the past as recorded in history books is false and the truth is much, much worse than you could have ever imagined, or knowing the future brings a great cataclysm soon (as in, within your lifetime) that could be avoided, but you are unable to communicate what you know and warn others?

4. Serious question: Would you like to know everything?

5. If you knew you were going to die, what would you like your last meal to be?

(Lots of death in this one, I swear this won't be the norm.)

Edited by TigerGeekGuy
grammar
  • Brohoof 1