Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will Sparity ever happen?

CastletonSnob

1 minute ago, Hebbocake said:

I never said anything about Sparity, I hate the ship in fact. I just wanted to make clear it's obvious Spike isn't a child anymore.

That's nice for him, I guess. But there's a difference with Faust giving some advice or saying years ago that Spike is 8 when it's obviously not true anymore.

According to Jim his opinion isn't canon either. I wonder what he feels about Lauren's view? Hm.

Source

Just now, Hebbocake said:

Looking at the posts he just follows her

"[My opinion] is not canon unless it is in the show or ... Lauren says it."

The point I've been trying to make in this topic is my disapproval of this tendency to take a binary approach to many things related to the show and it's creation. Often times this 'all or nothing' mentality is usually at the risk of tossing away nuance which is really where this whole argument resides. 

To say that Lauren is a driver of the show is incorrect, but to say she has absolutely no influence on the show is just as incorrect. Their public tweets about Scootaloo and her neglectful/busy parents made it into the show in some form as well. 

The same thing with Sparity. People can argue chronological age into they are blue in the face, but Hasbro isn't going to sign off on a character who has the mental and physical age of a child being in a romantic relationship with Rarity. 

Which reminds me. I should pen a letter to Investor Relations concerning this. An ounce of prevention and all that :)

• Brohoof 1

I have always found the whole Sparity thing weird. I can get that Spike might have a crush on someone older, but it would be creepy for it to actually happen. I think Rarity loves Spike like you would a little brother because I've seen hints she knows that Spike has a crush on her. Spike is a dragon and Rarity is a pony. I know in other worlds this wouldn't be a problem, but MLP does make a distinction between species and it wouldn't work (sort of like the Discord/Fluttershy thing but that's a different topic). Spike is younger than Rarity by quite a bit as Twilight was his "mother" in a sense and her and Rarity are around the same age.

• Brohoof 4

I'm all for them being good friends and I am also all for episodes exploring that relationship (SoME and IM did well with that), but an actual relationship is definitely weird. Too big of an age difference.

(edited)

hahaha, that is a joke right?
Cause yeah beasatlity is legal right? *heavy sarcasm* or underage dating...
Spike is like 12, Rarity in her 20's or almost or later.  Seriously it a CRUSH and Rarity doesn't see Spike in a romantic way at all. She care as deeply for him as a mother! stop making it creepy

Edited by BlinkZ

3 minutes ago, BlinkZ said:

hahaha, that joke right?
Cause yeah beasatlity is legal right? or underage dating...
Spike like 12, rarity in her 20's or almost or in.  Seriously it a CRUSH and Rarity does not see Spike in a romantic way at all. She care as deeply for him as a mother! stop making it creepy

I love the edit you made :D I wish you'd left you post the way it was

6 minutes ago, BlinkZ said:

Cause yeah beasatlity is legal right?

C9TPi5_XkAQCfOo.jpg

Anyway... nope. Never going to happen. The crush may go on forever for all we know, but anything further will be confined to fanfiction.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I'm certain the show will keep us in epistemic ambivalence regarding Sparity, right up until the very end.  We'll get some Sparity moments here and there, but no confirmation of a legit pairing.  However, I also doubt the show will just slam the door in that either.  At worst it might be slowly but surely phased out, and it already has kind of been, but I'm sure we will continue to get at least a Sparity moment or two on occasion, just not all the time.

Before anything could possibly happen, Spike has to fall for a different character (Ember, maybe?) leaving Rarity struggling with the conflict between her Element and her jealous need to claim back her Spikey Wikey :D

36 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

Before anything could possibly happen, Spike has to fall for a different character (Ember, maybe?) leaving Rarity struggling with the conflict between her Element and her jealous need to claim back her Spikey Wikey :D

LIke i said, Rarity only care for him like a mother. She has actual stallions to chase. ugh fanfiction be dammed I don't approve of Sparity.  (look up Gregory...and you'll see how mess up age gaps can be )

1 hour ago, BlinkZ said:

Cause yeah beasatlity is legal right?

I don't think that applies to a world with multiple sentient species. 

Anyway, I just don't think Rarity thinks about him that way. Almost no scenes of the show even hint that she views him romantically, so I think it's way more likely for Rarity to just let him down and Spike to move on than for the relationship to actually happen. And, despite what Big Jim might say about ages, he's still a teenage dragon at most, whereas Rarity is pretty clearly an adult, so it'd be rather inappropriate as well. 

• Brohoof 2

15 minutes ago, BlinkZ said:

LIke i said, Rarity only care for him like a mother. She has actual stallions to chase. ugh fanfiction be dammed I don't approve of Sparity.  (look up Gregory...and you'll see how mess up age gaps can be )

Nothing in that implies she has to want an intimate relationship with him, BlinkZ - just it would be a classic trope for him to fall for another (presumably a dragon, if you want to keep things simpler, relationship-wise) and for Rarity to miss his constant chasing of her affections...

I hope not. I'd rather not see a romance between a depicted mature adult who manages her own clothing lines and a childlike character that still needs to be told not to eat too much ice cream/ when to take a nap :blink: then there's the whole species difference. Too much for Hasbro to even poke a stick at.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Meeps said:

I hope not. I'd rather not see a romance between a depicted mature adult who manages her own clothing lines and a childlike character that still needs to be told not to eat too much ice cream/ when to take a nap :blink: then there's the whole species difference. Too much for Hasbro to even poke a stick at.

Eating too much ice cream? Are you talking about Spike or Rarity? XD

• Brohoof 2

12 hours ago, MegaSean45 said:

Eating too much ice cream? Are you talking about Spike or Rarity? XD

Haha, I was referencing Spike in the episode, "It's About Time."

13 minutes ago, Meeps said:

Haha, I was referencing Spike in the episode, "It's About Time."

I'd rather take the ice cream thing out! :P Yes, he's still too young, but being told not to eat too much ice cream, that's an adult issue too! XD Look at Rarity in Inspiration! Spike was only doing it to just to spite Twilight really; Rarity does it outta sorrow!

(edited)
2 minutes ago, MegaSean45 said:

I'd rather take the ice cream thing out! :P Yes, he's still too young, but being told not to eat too much ice cream, that's an adult issue too! XD Look at Rarity in Inspiration! Spike was only doing it to just to spite Twilight really; Rarity does it outta sorrow!

Doesn't seem very mature to think, "I'm going to stuff myself with ice cream because my authoritative figure wouldn't like it. Plus, it's my future self's problem."

Just my take. It's darn near a trademark of childhood to do things you enjoy RIGHT THEN and not worry about the consequences, lol :ooh:

Edited by Meeps

(edited)

Only in Fanfiction will Sparity ever happen, but canonically speaking I really doubt it. I even wondered why did they even bother putting this bizarre inter-species romance between a seemingly adult mare pony and a fire-breathing BABY Dragon (Hello!) in a kids show? Just to tease those who are emotionally unstable?

Something about this romance just feels wrong on so many levels. Like pedobear levels of wrong, but good thing Rarity is being cool and collected for Spike's feelings for her. Even she knows that a baby dragon having the hots for her is not only strange, but really wrong on so many levels. Chances of having a cannon Sparity in the show seems incredibly slim.

Edited by ZethaPonderer
Just wanna post this cause this is one thing I overlooked this in my redemption post at the Welcoming Plaza and figured why not share my perspective over here?

3 minutes ago, ZethaPonderer said:

Only in Fanfiction will Sparity ever happen, but canonically speaking I really doubt it. I even wondered why did they even bother putting this bizarre inter-species romance between a seemingly adult mare pony and a fire-breathing BABY Dragon (Hello!) in a kids show? Just to tease those who are emotionally unstable?

Something about this romance just feels wrong on so many levels. Like pedobear levels of wrong, but good thing Rarity is being cool and collected for Spike's feelings for her. Even she knows that a baby dragon having the hots for her is not only strange, but really wrong on so many levels. Chances of having a cannon Sparity in the show seems incredibly slim.

I kind of wonder if its like how sometimes children will have crushes on adult figures in their lives, like teachers or babysitters?

I feel that Spike will grow out of it, if that's how the depiction is supposed to be. He may even fall for a dragon lass eventually!

• Brohoof 3