Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Funding MLP Forums, Part 2 - Classifieds

Zoop

With last week's move to a dedicated server, MLP Forums is running faster and smoother than ever before. Unfortunately, our operational costs are also higher than ever before, and relying only on members to make a donation whenever they feel like it is proving to be less and less sustainable.

So, we've been looking into a variety of new ways to monetize the site more consistently, to ensure we can afford to stay on this beautiful new server for a long time to come. We'll be writing about our ideas here in Canterlot Castle, and it will be greatly appreciated to have your input on how effective you think each may be, and whether you would personally make use of them. After all, this forum is for all of you at the end of the day, and we think it's only fair that you get to have a say in how we cover its expenses.

Proposal #2: Classifieds

In addition to the previously discussed idea for the subscription-based donations scheme, one idea we're currently exploring for the sake of ramping up the site's money earning potential is to allow people to sell pony related merchandise and the like to other members of the forum, with a portion of the money gained through potential sales going toward site upkeep.

Given the large number of existing users on the board, the increasing number of new registrants, and the site's impressive search engine optimization, prospective sellers would be able to immediately reach an impressive audience of likeminded pony nuts on a venue ran for bronies by bronies.

Any thoughts on this proposal? The idea of adding a full-on store to the site may seem a little out of the blue so to speak compared to the implementation of subscription based donations, but given the amount of raw craft talent available within the pony community, and the ever growing reach of this community in particular, it could end up being a worthwhile source of supplemental income.

• Brohoof 22

In other words, if you are paying a monthly fee you get a feature to sell pony related merchandise?

I have to admid, that sounds like an awesome feature!

We all know this forum got a lot of creative members and with this new feature, its their time to shine.

So it would be good for the forum upkeep AND for the members.

I approve, go for this one.

This idea is ingenious! First off, there are a huge number of people who make and sell things to other ponied on these forums (noticed in Creative Resources), and what better way to help with the site's donations by getting some positive profit from it! I know a lot of people who would be more-than-willing to do it!

Are you sure we can't have this setup along with the subscription idea? They are both beyond-amazing proposals. :)

Seems like a unique, creative way to spread the wealth of pony merchandise and to help keep the site going at the same time. Nice ^^

I like this idea as well and having it work with the subscriptions is an even better idea.

Say it costs X amount of dollars to submit something but if your a subscriber then you don't have to pay that fee. For this to work though it would probably need to not be on some of the lowest subscription plans otherwise people could exploit it.

• Brohoof 1

I like the idea of being able to buy pony products on this site.

My only concern being credibility, I don't want to get scammed by someone on the site promising me X.

~

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Seems like a great idea to me! But measures should be taken to prevent/minimize scamming. Although bronies should be able to trust eachother, there are always individuals who have wrong intentions in mind.

Edited by WhiteLightning

Wasn't my intention to portrait bronies as non-human.....I just use the word 'bronies' here since everyone here is a brony.

I know, but bronies are people. They can be even less trustworthy in some cases.

~

(edited)

That's a really good idea :3

I know Feld0 wasn't too happy about me posting before about commissions, but I'd be completely happy to do a slot based amount of artwork/pixel things and have money donated go straight to site upkeep! :3 Means that if I can't afford to donate, I'll still be able to contribute somehow? Gotta be a Win/Win if Ponies are getting art, I'm getting practice, and the site is getting donations from it all?

Well you'll just have to be smart like don't pay for it till its arrived or till you see the finished product?

Just got to think on your hooves ;)

Alot of Artist's don't really like this. It's more on the lines of, Customer pays, then you get the item. You can't walk into a store, eat the food you want, THEN pay for it?

But alternatively, you could always pay half, then pay the other half when it's done if you're that worried about people running off with money?

Edited by Laydee Kaze

Alot of Artist's don't really like this. It's more on the lines of, Customer pays, then you get the item. You can't walk into a store, eat the food you want, THEN pay for it?

But alternatively, you could always pay half, then pay the other half when it's done if you're that worried about people running off with money?

To be fair theres alot of places around where i live that do that! XD But i can see why some people wouldn't like to do this...

To be fair theres alot of places around where i live that do that! XD But i can see why some people wouldn't like to do this...

Really? xD Haha, it's really frowned upon where I come from x3 er, well... nobody does it anyway xD I think the half/half thing usually works best with people new to buying commissions online :3

Really? xD Haha, it's really frowned upon where I come from x3 er, well... nobody does it anyway xD I think the half/half thing usually works best with people new to buying commissions online :3

With the walking into a store, eating food and then leaving. Some restaurants do that? But online it's different, as you're a single person with no legal backing. If you walked out of a restaurant without paying, they have evidence, bills and money to pursue you.

I think deposits are fine and dandy for art :) Deposits aren't perfect but are the best balance of protection for buyer and artist ^^

If people scam you they're putting themselves in the open, and are at the mercy of the staff on here when they get found out, aren't they? :P I'm not seeing the big deal. Seems like a legit deterrent for me. Make some severe punishments for people who scam.

• Brohoof 1

Added negative if there are scams.

>Humans.

>There will be.

And then the staff was responsible for losses incurred since this was the medium sales were done on.

Seems solid. Needs to have a really good filtering though.

Liek required to make certain things before selling anything becomes a option.

Tie it to post count, 100 or so to make sure peeps are dedicated to keeping their word and promises and having some sort of basis to base human opinions on.

Just handing licences to sells stuff based on a minimal payment and nothing more is asking for trouble since ponies are involved.

Previous DDoS shows some will go to quite a long way out of their way to cause harm to people just based on the fact that MLP is involved.

Will work but needs a lot of involvement and actual staff that knows their shizzles.

And Tax agency will want their share too.

Leading to a whole another level of involvement. IDK, needs much more thought to be viable as business model.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

I support this, and think that using this along side the other proposal would benefit the forums. I would be happy to create merchandise to sell to everypony.

Edited by DylanKLJ