Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The reasons why alicorn OCs are bad and hated

Nightfall Veilwing

On 6/9/2017 at 11:01 PM, Millennium Shadow said:

In this case, we've seen more alicorns that are royalty than those that are not, so we assumed that all alicorns are royalty, even though this logically false.

This argument would work a lot better had not literally every single alicorn we seen been royalty. I get what you're trying to say, but in this particular case it makes more sense to assume that every alicorn is royalty than to assume that some aren't. 

3 minutes ago, Yamet said:

This argument would work a lot better had not literally every single alicorn we seen been royalty. I get what you're trying to say, but in this particular case, it makes more sense to assume that every alicorn is royalty than to assume that some aren't. 

There's literally nothing saying that all alicorns are royalty, but nor is there anything saying that not all alicorns are royalty. :maud:

You know that there were alicorns in the background a couple times, right? :pout:

They don't seem to be errors, as their appearance don't seem to be off. So, they can be official non-royal alicorns! Nothing saying that they're errors. :proud:

3 minutes ago, Millennium Shadow said:

You know that there were alicorns in the background a couple times, right? :pout:

According to the wiki, a crew member has explained those to be errors. And considering that most of them has the same model as other background characters,I think it's safe to assume that some just accidentally added a horn or a pair of wings to an already existing character by mistake. 

7 minutes ago, Millennium Shadow said:

There's literally nothing saying that all alicorns are royalty,

Besides that literally every single one that isn't an error happens to be royalty. It makes more sense to assume that every other alicorn should follow the trend than it does to assume it just happens to be a coincidence. 

13 minutes ago, Yamet said:

Besides that literally every single one that isn't an error happens to be royalty. It makes more sense to assume that every other alicorn should follow the trend than it does to assume it just happens to be a coincidence. 

If there's to be any character development and any "don't judge one by their appearance" morals, the show will need to challenge the "all alicorns are royalty" stereotype. :P

And said stereotype was made by the brony community and none of the canon sources. :please:

1 minute ago, Millennium Shadow said:

If there's to be any character development and any "don't judge one by their appearance" morals, the show will need to challenge the "all alicorns are royalty" stereotype. 

You know there's no point in responding to my post if you aren't going to say anything about any of the points I brought up, right?

• 4 months later...

i think most of the "bad" alicorn OC's come from new members to the fandom trying to make their OC more likable, when many people start in a fandom they try to make their OC interesting and powerful, but in most cases people over power their alicorn, unicorn, Pegasus, or earth pony OC. people just need some time to develop their OC's and their powers and personality, i think it's best to come up with backstory/personality first then what the Oc look's like. hopefully this will help new members of the fandom make a good OC.:rarity:

I have an OC that can TRANSFORM into an Alicorn at will. Think of it like a Super Saiyan 3 transformation, only for a unicorn with an IQ of 300 whose special talent is inventing devices and remixing music That is what Dante Wubbington is as an OC of mine. A genius that, when she needs to, can turn into an Alicorn until her energy runs out, which will force her to revert to her original form.

On 6/6/2017 at 5:32 PM, Jeric said:

And the number one reason Alicorn OC's are hated is .... 

Bad writing. 

Seriously, I've come across far too many bad Alicorn OC personality/backstory breakdowns when compared to other races. 

Or no writing at all

Okay, here's a way to look at making an OC from my perspective. Think of making an OC as something like starting a new game for an RPG video game you recently acquired. You start out at the bottom stats wise & you have to fight plenty of enemies to get stronger while you play to advance the story further until you reach the final boss & beat the game.

• 7 months later...
On 10/21/2017 at 2:14 PM, AlicornSpell said:

Most MLP OCs/FCs are bad in general. Most of them are Mary Sues/Gary Stus. And I hate it when fans ship their OC/FC with actual canon characters, and I hate it when fans make OC/FC relatives (like offspring) for the canon characters. 

How can fans ship their OC/FC with actual canon characters and make OC/FC relatives for the canon characters when knowing that their OC/FC isn't and will never be canon to the show?

The shipping without ever being cannon isnt really anything wrong if anything the fact that it isnt cannon is what makes creating these stories FUN. its just an expression of passion also have you ever heard OF ALTERNATE TIMELINES? Maybe a certain ship isnt cannon IN THIS TIMELINE but in another timeline it could be... Besides my alicorn oc may be about as powerful as discord in a doctor strange kinda way but he rarely uses that power and tbh relies more on his technological genious to solve things... Also in terms of being by default royalty my character has an origin story that actually makes sense... This is a fanfic i am writing condensed down as far as i could get it.. Celestia finishing her daily duties, goes to her bedchamber to see a bright green white light outside... Turns out its a UFO from another solar system, celestia discovers the little alicorn colt it beamed down(no older than 1 year old) tia decides to give parenting a try so she raises the colt(named Strange Quark) as her own... Long story short he achieves great power advances equestria's tech by about 400 thousand years moves to ponyville just wanting a normal life, discovers the grid(from TRON) loses his right eye saving the grid and gets a robot eye... A few years later is on survey mission and stumbles across chrysalis and a new hive by accident, promptly falls in love with chrysalis and warms her heart, after mission ends strange quark gets lonely and the shit hits the fan so the rulers of equestria get strange quark and chrysalis back together, she moves in with him in ponyville while her changelings live with thorax, strange quark adopts 2 changeling fillies(one about 14 and the other about 3) proposes to chryssi a year later as the season 8 finale goes down... Cozy glow gets her ass whooped by strange quark, chryssi and strange quark get happily married and have 2 foals of their own... Thats all i have for now... If you want i can post a link to the still incomplete fanfic on fimfiction... Just a heads up though my story at many points has a looser almost improvised on the fly feel comparable to rick and mory's interdimensional cable so it is quite random at points

The Alicorn Ocs are like Creepypasta Ocs and Undertale Ocs. (Plz quote me if I missed another fandom. Thanks!) They are terrible. I’m not saying that Ocs in general are terrible, there are some that are good and actually make sense. Some Ocs are just Op and I hate those especially. It sucks even worse when you have to Role Play with them. I hate it! It’s so annoying!!

For Example: 

Unicorn Oc: *blasts Alicorn* 

Alicorn Oc: *dodges* 

Unicorn Oc: What the buck?! I blasted you!! 

Alicorn Oc: Yeahhhh. Your powers don’t effect me because I have the power of the gods and I’m Luna’s daughter and blah blah blah blah 

Unicorn Oc: Shut up!! I don’t care where you come from! I blasted you! You should be hit! 

Alicorn Oc: *Still rambling on about why she can’t be hit by anyone*

• Brohoof 1

28 minutes ago, Azamuku said:

The Alicorn Ocs are like Creepypasta Ocs and Undertale Ocs. (Plz quote me if I missed another fandom. Thanks!) They are terrible. I’m not saying that Ocs in general are terrible, there are some that are good and actually make sense. Some Ocs are just Op and I hate those especially. It sucks even worse when you have to Role Play with them. I hate it! It’s so annoying!!

For Example: 

Alicorn Oc: Yeahhhh. Your powers don’t effect me because I have the power of the gods and I’m Luna’s daughter and blah blah blah blah 

Unicorn Oc: Shut up!! I don’t care where you come from! I blasted you! You should be hit! 

Im pretty sure my character doesnt have THAT big an ego XD... He also has quite a few character flaws built in... He sometimes OVERanalyzes things, anger problems that actually led to assuming a nightmare form for a while until calmed down... Plus while he does have remarkable control over space and matter doctor strange style and immense power he is still able to be injured or killed quite easily(made apparent in the first chapter when he lost his right eye battling a corrupt program on the grid) here is the fanfic i am writing https://www.fimfiction.net/story/390550/a-strange-relationship it is a work in progress (early access password is "Equine after all") i know its not complete and needs A LOT of refinement but it is still at least mildly entertaining and definately has more character depth than what you described

Edited by strange quark 42
  • Brohoof 1

In my experience the alicorn status had to be earned, until recently there were no in the show indication that alicorns are born that way. Twilight and Cadence earned their wings. Celestia and Luna nobody really knows. Flurry was born into it.

I suppose if I was to create a story I would create a character who dislikes showing off their alicorn status, and they use a glamour similar to the changeling disguise because they want to be normies instead of treated to be like a royalty.

I remember watching the video about how Jedi had ruined Star Wars Galaxies. To make it short everyone and their mother wanted to be a Jedi, but that was in itself was impossible because based on the time period Jedi were rare and hunted.  You could compare a Jedi with alicorns they are impossibly OP with their powers and if they were too many of them they stop being special.

Edited by R.D.Dash
Extra

36 minutes ago, R.D.Dash said:

In my experience the alicorn status had to be earned, until recently there were no in the show indication that alicorns are born that way. Twilight and Cadence earned their wings. Celestia and Luna nobody really knows. Flurry born into it.

I suppose if I was to create a story I would create a character who dislikes showing off their alicorn status, and they use a glamour similar to the changeling disguise because they want to be normal instead of treated to be like royalty

Then i think you would like my story my friend

5 minutes ago, Goat-kun said:

2md4co.jpg.6a64d6e7e2ca91680fe333132dbb486b.jpg

Every pony needs a purpose. Alicorns just need more of it is all.

Why do alicorns "need more purpose? :mlp_confused:

1 hour ago, Azamuku said:

For Example: 

Good alicorn OCs can and do exist. :)

The stereotype and cliché of alicorn OCs being OP and bad comes the creator of the OC not putting any effort into the character. Since they had the impression the alicorns were gods and all royalty, they felt like most of the work was done for them so they didn't have to put much effort into the character, if any at all.

And the "being OP" thing could come from one's lack of confidence in themselves, both as a person and creator. The OP-ness of the OC gives one a sense of power and control.

• Brohoof 1

33 minutes ago, Millennium Shadow said:

Why's that? :)

Because the main character has quite a bit of depth, the mother and son relationship between Celestia and Strange Quark is really sweet and loving, the love story i set up between Strange Quark and Chrysalis is a cross between earned love and love at first sight, the first chapter of my story goes through Strange Quark's childhood and major events in that time, there is quite a lot going on at most times and a lot of pop culture references to keep things interesting...

And as millenium shadow said the power scale of an OC basically says a lot about the self confidence of its creator(i barely have any self confidence so i made Strange Quark very powerful) also i gave Strange Quark the sweetest possible relationship because i am quite alone

35 minutes ago, Millennium Shadow said:

I get it, Twilight was wanting a sense of purpose with her princess title, while the other princesses keep saying that "her part will come," while be very vague about it, as if they were making her a pawn in their agenda.

It's not their agenda. Puppets have no true will of their own. However, puppets still need a purpose. Her power is a network of radiant veins pulsating across the land. Being met with various internal and external limitations, she needs to distribute it wisely. That is why you don't get many alicorns. Also, the water is making frogs weird ;)