Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The reasons why alicorn OCs are bad and hated

Nightfall Veilwing

5 hours ago, Stellar Heights said:

Oh, so he's a changeling? I haven't come across too many people with changeling OCs (I had a zebra OC, named Razzle Dazzle Rock'em, her name was weird, her design was certaintly 80s based) 

One might assume he's a changeling, but he's not a changeling. ;)

• 2 months later...

Honestly for the same kind of reasons most of us despise Flurry Heart and unfortunately why some even disapprove of Sunny... You see they have established in the initial lore that there were only two alicorns officially. (although we can assume that since cadence is her niece that must mean she was existing at the same time during the same continuity and that there were "likely" other alicorns that existed from Celestia, Luna and Cadence's heritage...) SO INITIALLY, this is even why a lot of fans despised Twilight's alicorn transformation, it posed the question, becoming an alicorn is not genetic? Or is Twilight's family just the special exception of some super powerful magic on par with Celestias? Might make sense then how Cadence and Shining Armors DNA could produce a "natural born alicorn" THE FIRST. Nah, still not for me lol, but just a thought...

Alicorn OCs support this idea that there are all kinds of magical sentimental friendship snowflakes running around that had the ability to become something Twilight worked very hard to achieve, something some people don't even think she should have ever achieved and then along comes these ridiculous OCs with extremely redundant back stories usually stating their relationship to one of the princesses to make sense of them being an alicorn I assume? But even if your alicorn OC is not "related to Celestia", that's even worse, there is LITERALLY no explanation for your being so special that you just magically grew wings one day..? And like these edgy darkness alicorn OCs, I guess now with the release of Gen 5 we are finally seeing a Dark alicorn since Nightmare Moon, but even Nightmare Moon was originally Luna, and helped maintain balance and order? If you have an OC that doesn't exhibit any of the traits of ANY of the alicorns we have seen, and we're just supposed to assume the character didn't have to accomplish all these profound life changing feats of heroism or have any of these personal epiphanies about the moral sentiments that make this show what it is? Your OC isn't nice, by the way you describe him? OR Your OC doesn't have enough depth for me to buy into the fact that they have accomplished enough to have deserved such a blessing, Twilight didn't just poof alicorn wings started sprouting, I mean it didn't technically happen "exactly" like this for Sunny either, she at least in gesture and sentiment had to return harmony to Equestria, but Twilight literally went to another little dream dimension with Celestia and then got appointed the title with the transformation, almost as if Celestia knew it was going to happen or had a literal part in her transformation. So what I'm saying is and FOR ME, I'm someone that refuses to even use legendary Pokemon when even playing solo and especially competitively bc it's just a ridiculous sentiment to believe a 10 yr old can own and control a god.. just like it's ridiculous to believe flurry heart could be born one... Ppl like me who like the Canon, the lore, everything about these universes that ground them and make them what they are, it just is ridiculous to see someone that has an alicorn OC who hasn't done anything to earn their keep just kind of totally Mary sue, invincible BS, like even these evil alicorns, (we only know of two now including nightmare moon) I assume this new one we are meeting in gen 5, had used to be good, or at least uncorrupted prior to what has become present Equestria, these ponies did something to become an alicorn, it's just odd to believe alicorns would start popping up all over Equestria when you could previously count the number of known alicorns on one hand. It's like people that make alicorn OCs are kind of like people that will play with all legendary Pokemon on Pokemon showdown, I mean what you did took little imagination, it makes and elevates power fantasy lol, it's like playing someone at a game you love and you know their controller is broken, but you take no shame in beating them, taking the easy way out with a fabricated predetermined victory is easier, and that is why in fiction Mary sues are boring AF, you just wanted to be unrealistic and live up to the power fantasy of your perfect OC, just like the garbage pokemon player wants to pretend he's skilled for playing like an 11 year old, both of you escaping reality, I mean that part is okay, but other people even ponies the show has made like Starlight who people mistakingly think is this pony i am describing, have a lot of growth, experience, personality, they keep a lot of personality defectives... Starlight is far from perfect and irregardless of what anyone says she's earned her place in not just the hearts of the mane ponies but the majority of our fandom... Your weird OC that is exaggerated to cringe levels or lacks enough believable depth to support the triumphant claims of heroism your just claiming they have had... Without a story book of context, a bunch of random alicorns popping up is absolutely absurd and the lack of story for most of them is equally if not more absurd than some of the stories thought up for them.. even with the context it's just unbelievable and it more so is about your power fantasy in my eyes, probably by someone insanely flawed in real life and can't really embrace these flaws as mutable quirks rather an inescapable curse, so instead we escape them in a world of fiction by projecting a flawless being as a reflection of ourselves but more so rather who we wish to be...

I think it's actually a safe assumption that alicorn status is what defines a royal. Primarily because Twilight became an Alicorn and was immediately crowned royalty, and the same happened to Cadence. It's not based on blood dynasty like it is in our history, but seemingly based on the status of being an alicorn.

• 4 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Prince Golden Lotus said:

I never created my sona with the intention of canon integration.  Really it's because, the fanon universe is vast & diverse, so I am perfectly valid to coexist on that realm.

We never did get any canon information about alicorns in the show (IDK about the other canon sources, like the comics and books), so we literally know nothing about them.

I never did understood why alicorn OCs were (and maybe still are, but IDK) taboo.

And even though my OC appears to be an alicorn, they're actually not an alicorn at all, or even a pony, for that matter.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up keeping Stellar and now I don't know if it was exactly my best idea since I haven't explained much other than "She wished on a star and became an alicorn" 

Does anybody think I shouldn't have kept Stellar? I try to make characters people will love, but the cold hard truth is some of them are terrible... 

I don't know what I should do, on one hoof, I like Stellar, but on the other hoof I feel bad for making an alicorn.... :( 

here's a new drawing I did: 

Stellar Heights.jpg

I ended up keeping Stellar and now I don't know if it was exactly my best idea since I haven't explained much other than "She wished on a star and became an alicorn" 

Does anybody think I shouldn't have kept Stellar? I try to make characters people will love, but the cold hard truth is some of them are terrible... 

I don't know what I should do, on one hoof, I like Stellar, but on the other hoof I feel bad for making an alicorn.... :( 

Stellar Heights.jpg

3 hours ago, Stellar Heights said:

Stellar Heights.jpg

Hey, don't feel bad for making her an alicorn. It's your character, so you do whatever you'd like with her. :)