Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fandom divisions

ManaMinori

(edited)

For years, there has been a division between the pony fandoms. G4's fandom doesn't seem to look or treat the senior pony fandoms too kindly- often bashing the foundations that were laid for generation four, flaming its members, sometimes sending death threats....while the senior pony fandoms don't look too kindly on the g4 fandom/ Bronies, because of such an attitude that many have displayed. And while some people - whether they are the fans of the g1, g2, g3, g3.5, or g4 fandom don't have to like all the incarnations of MLP, I think that the hatchet between generation fans needs to be buried. There's a saying "united we stand, divided we fall", and I believe that to be true. As pony fans under the same franchise of "My Little Pony", I think its high time to put into place the  motto of "love and tolerance" toward our pony brothers and sisters - our elders- of different pony eras.

What are your thoughts on the g4 generation of fans' behavior toward the older pony content- and its fans?

What are your thoughts of the older generations' wariness of g4 fans?

Is it possible for the pony fandom, as a whole (under one singular franchise), to get along in peace?

Edited by Nightmare Muffin

All fandoms have issues like this that linger about because of division. While it would be nice to see such issues not be a problem, it is unfortunately nothing but wishful thinking as there are those who are dedicated towards causing anarchy resulting in the divisions we have now. Our fandom is no exception as right now it's embroiled in a number of divisions that threaten to tear everything apart.

I think it's ridiculous. Previous MLP generations where products of their time and audience, and we have to respect the fans of yore, even though they may not like G4 as much. Besides, there wouldn't be FiM without them :dry: 

• Brohoof 1

I don't get the sense that such a divide is a widespread as you may think.  I'm sure most FiM fans who came on board with the series probably don't think twice about fans of the older series.  Personally, those shows are not for me, but I don't have anything against anyone else enjoying them (nor should I).  Even if such a divide is more prominent than I think, I've been in fandoms with deeper divides that have gotten far uglier than this fandom ever will IMHO.

• Brohoof 2

On 6/7/2017 at 0:08 AM, Ganondorf8 said:

All fandoms have issues like this that linger about because of division. While it would be nice to see such issues not be a problem, it is unfortunately nothing but wishful thinking as there are those who are dedicated towards causing anarchy resulting in the divisions we have now. Our fandom is no exception as right now it's embroiled in a number of divisions that threaten to tear everything apart.

its still silly for different fandoms under one franchise to be so distant. Its all MLP, and whether some are hell-bent on creating anarchy between the different generations of the pony family, we are the ones that shouldn't fall into that mentality- especially since the g4 fandom just loves to throw around the "love and tolerance" mantra.

7 hours ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

its still silly for different fandoms under one franchise to be so distant. Its all MLP, and whether some are hell-bent on creating anarchy between the different generations of the pony family, we are the ones that shouldn't fall into that mentality- especially since the g4 fandom just loves to throw around the "love and tolerance" mantra.

I agree that it's silly but unfortunately this is how fandoms work. Everyone has different tastes that end up clashing with one another.

(edited)

Honestly, divides happen when people from one side go into the other side's community and tell them they're going extinct, lol. And that they don't produce enough of the right type of content (the type of content bronies make).

Older gen collectors don't really need bronies to champion for them. If some bronies want to expand to the other gens that is awesome, but overall the collectors are not in desperate need of brony approval or conversion. It's great that you love the MLP franchise as a whole, but you don't need to speak for collectors so much.

Both communities - collectors and bronies - have VERY different vibes. One is primarily women ages 18 to 50 or so, probably about an average of 30-35. The other is mostly male (but a large portion is female) and overall much younger. They aren't necessarily incompatible, but when someone crosses from one to the other, they have to be very considerate of the difference in culture. For instance, I can usually be far more frank here than I am at the MLPArena. Plenty of bronies have bridged the gap, and plenty of collectors love G4 too. They get along! People just need to be very mindful of the different tones of the communities.

Edited by Powderpuff

Again, why do people who love something care what people who do not think about it? I can understand the whole wanting everyone to get along, but seriously.. MLP is filled withe the same kind of people that fill every fandom and anti fandom. You have your nice people who want to get along with everyone or at the very least just are not worried about anything else except what they like and don't mind what anyone else likes..... and then you have your a-holes, trolls, and super fans that like to call anything else garbage or create drama for their own personal amusement.

I am not saying it doesn't happen, but I have never actually seen a fan of FiM bashing a previous generation... at most I have just seen them show disinterest.

18 minutes ago, GrimGrimoire said:

Again, why do people who love something care what people who do not think about it? I can understand the whole wanting everyone to get along, but seriously.. MLP is filled withe the same kind of people that fill every fandom and anti fandom. You have your nice people who want to get along with everyone or at the very least just are not worried about anything else except what they like and don't mind what anyone else likes..... and then you have your a-holes, trolls, and super fans that like to call anything else garbage or create drama for their own personal amusement.

I am not saying it doesn't happen, but I have never actually seen a fan of FiM bashing a previous generation... at most I have just seen them show disinterest.

This. I feel like this thread, along with others OP have posted both here and at the MLPArena, is championing a cause that no one else is fighting for.