Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

do you feel bad when you kill

Zyrael

As a kid I would, now a days I'd just shrug it off in regards to bugs. I have no problem killing anything so long as it is necessary, if I accidentally killed an animal or person though I'd probably feel bad.

• Brohoof 1

Depends on what it was.  My grandpa used to make me kill all the squirrels and chipmunks that would get caught in his traps when I was a kid, I felt bad about those but I figured that I was helping relieve their very obvious pain.  I typically leave spiders alone except for those ones that don't make webs, they'll only end up biting me in my sleep.  I don't really feel bad about killing mosquitoes though, they're a nuisance and they're probably only going to get worse this year.

• Brohoof 1

Most bugs serve very little function, only having the purpose of being irritating parasites that do nothing else than annoy the hell out of the life forms surrounding them. If a wasp, for example was trying to sting me, flying around my face, I would definitely lash out with a baseball bat, or something along those lines, with the intent to kill. I also feel no sympathy for drowning out ant nests for example, as the creatures residing within it were nothing but a nuisance. If I accidentally step on a bug, I'll tend to be indifferent about it, as, honestly, it changes my life very little. Besides, nothing could have been done to prevent that accident. Sometimes unfortunate events occur, that's the world's natural order.

All life is life, that much is obvious, but some life is life that other lives could do without. Creatures created with the intention of harming others deserve all of the harm that is inflicted upon them.

(edited)

Nightmare-Inducing Bad if I kill. I once had a pet baby chicken when I was a little boy and killed it by accident when he/she (couldn't tell the gender) bit my ear while he/she was climbing my shoulder. I threw the baby chicken into the wall with my left hand and my hands were forever stained with the death of that baby chicken. I didn't mean to kill it, it was all an accident. I could almost imagine the aftermath where the baby chicken is twitching his/her little legs, back being broken while still chirping in pain when I threw him/her into that concrete wall (Splat). My parents told me when I finally grew up in my teens that the baby chicken did not survive the aftermath.

As for bugs... eh I'd kill it when it gets in my house, but would be grateful if someone can give me a solution on how to simply get them out of my house e.g. a spider. How do you get rid of a spider out of your house? Do I grab it with a napkin and fling it out my window or do I flush it down the toilet after bug spraying it to death? Decisions Decisions. At the very least I don't go out of my way smashing bugs outside my house.

Human Nature can be so cruel, unpredictable, and fickle to work with.

Edited by ZethaPonderer

(edited)
9 hours ago, Rarity the Supreme said:

Most bugs serve very little function, only having the purpose of being irritating parasites that do nothing else than annoy the hell out of the life forms surrounding them.

Most insects serve a purpose further up the food chain. Brown bats, for example, can eat thousands of mosquitos in a night - they serve a very important function as a meal! do I wish mosquitos were not biting pests that spread disease and annoy the living crap out of me? Yes. Yes, I do. They usually die on sight if I see them near me. Hate their bites!

I do feel bad about killing, even if it wasn't entirely my fault. I love animals. I also eat meat. As such, I like to wholeheartedly be realistic about where my food comes from. Whenever I fish and catch a keeper, I prefer to kill it immediately and as humanely as possible. I hate to see the way some outdoorsman treat the animals they harvest... but that's a whole different discussion. I plan to hunt one day, and I'm not excited about it honestly. I feel a profound sense of respect for the animals I encounter, whether just out for a hike in the woods, or on the prowl for dinner. I guess its the dilemma of loving animals and also eating meat.

Sorry if I ran long on this one, its a rather complicated subject at times!

Edited by Meeps

I thought this thread was about feeling bad after you kill a person O.O but then I read the first post and saw were talking about insects lol

probably not really when it comes to cockroaches,flies,meal worms,caterpillars and spiders.

Any bug I kill, I do so with no remorse. :proud:

That being said, I usually let them be unless they're in my house, or if there are pesky wasps and mosquitos on the porch.

I never harm butterflies, moths, dragon flies, or ladybugs, though. :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Lady Kiriness said:

I never harm butterflies, moths, dragon flies, or ladybugs, though. :fluttershy:

I associate butterflies with spirituality, and in many ways they symbolize the passive aspects of nature in general ... at least for me. When a butterfly lands on me ... it's a cool moment for sure. 

• Brohoof 1

It entirely depends on the bug in this scenario. I am a pretty sensitive guy so, yeah, I tend ot feel bad. XD If it is a cockroach, a fly or soemthing like that, then I will send them to Oblivion with a smile on my face. A lot of other bugs though (excluding spiders), if they are in my room, I try to pick them up with a paper or something and transport them outside. 

I love animals, most of them anyway. That said, I'm very protective of my home. If I find an unwelcome guest in it I am sworn by honor to strike them down.

I do let spiders run around mostly, since they carry out kills for me. That, and my cats are also excellent hunters.

When it comes to bugs, if they are in my house it is open season and they will all die. If we are outside in their home, I try to keep my distance and allow them to do their own thing.

When it comes to bigger things such as rabbits, chipmunks, and squirrels if I can avoid them I do, I have never run one over before so I think that is pretty lucky. I would feel horrible. 

Bigger than that such as deer, elk, or other wild game, if there is any reason that I am needing to kill it then it would be only with peace, grace, and swiftness. I wouldn't want it to suffer and I would thank the animal for giving its life so my family can eat, and nothing would go to waste. 

I think there is never anything good when you have to take the life of something else, but if you are doing it respectfully and honorably and not wasting anything then you shouldn't feel bad. But if you are just doing it for sport and not planing on doing anything with the remains except for show then it is not okay. 

Yes I do understand that there needs to be regulations otherwise one species can get too big, but it should only be allowed if you have a plan to use everything. Respect mother nature and it will respect you.

On 6/8/2017 at 0:05 AM, GeekySonic said:

If I killed an animal, hell yeah I'd feel bad. But not bugs. Bugs deserve it.

Arthropods are animals, in fact they take up the majority of animals. I never kill no matter what, unless it is a potentially harmful one, but even then I will not. I have a fear of arachnids, but I will still do my best to let them go outside, and I feel terrible if I accidentally kill them trying to. I'm a bit weird though, even though I fear spiders (at least the larger ones), I still like them.

Other animals in general of course, I still feel bad for letting the harmless snakes get attacked or killed when I was around (someone else did that). I wish people would stop hurting them. Even venomous snakes mean no harm.

I overall just don't like needless killing. Preventing pests is fine, but if one manages to survive I'll let them free.

• Brohoof 2

Sometime yes, but I don't kill them that often. I'll never kill a spider or a ladybird or a bee. I will kill moths because they're hard to get rid of and fly at your face or daddy long-legs/crane flies because they look like flying spiders. I kill flies sometimes too but I normally try to persuade them to leave. If I do kill them I feel bad for a little while but not for long.

accident, who wouldn't... on purpose, death is part of life right?:toldya:

(edited)

I can never bring myself to kill bugs. I always have to catch them in a glass and release them outside.

Sometimes I feel bad if I kill one accidentally, it depends what kind of bug it is. The worst is when you inadvertently step on a snail and hear it crunch :(

Edited by Sonic Shimmer
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah I guess unless it's interfering with me, then it becomes survival of the fittest.

On June 8, 2017 at 8:07 AM, SparklingSwirls said:

No, never. Insects and spiders don't feel pain like humans do.

You don't know that :c