Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Lovely Ones

MachineGunLola

Jillian sighed and poured him a glass of Lemonade.

"I've been getting threats from an unknown number. Saying they know my secret and they'll tell everyone. They seem to know everything I do, and it's getting worse. I'm honestly scared."

Jake thought about this a moment, honestly worried for her. "Have you told the police yet? Stalking isn't exactly legal you know" he said. He thanked her for the lemonade and took a sip. He sighed, "Can I see the messages?"

Jake looked at the strange messages, starting from the day that new kid asked Jillian to the prom. He put a hand on his chin in thought. "Well, it's supposed to be your secret. Do you remember anything it could be?" he asked.

Jake placed a gentle hand on her shoulder, "This seems to be a little more serious than just about the way you acted. If you know of anything Jill, you know you can tell me... you can trust me".

Flick stood in her bedroom looking out the window. She saw Jake pull up and head into Jillian's place again, "Geez, when did those two start spending so much time together?" Flick shook her head a little and crossed to her bed. "I hope Jillian maintains her good mood tomorrow." Flick pulled her covers up to her chin and sighed. She swished her legs around feeling the cool, smooth, sheets against her bare skin and yawned.

Flick dozed and images swirled before her, photographs, cameras, AP chemistry and physics tests, broken beakers, her father's stern face. Flick sat up sweating and breathing deeply. She rolled over only to see that it was about 3am only a few hours had passed since she went to sleep. She got up and tied her runners, she pulled her hair back into a ponytail and checked herself out in the mirror. Still in her tank top and jogging shorts Flick decided she looked presentable and went outside for a jog.

Flick crept down the stairs careful no to make a disturbance. She watched for the creaky stair, turned the doorknob slowly and quickly left the stuffy house. She closed her eyes and breathed in the cool, misty night air. Flick took off jogging at quite a rapid pace. Leaving her issues behind, running from the choices that would define her entire future. "It's too soon," Flick thought as her home faded into the hazy background of her early morning run. "I can't be expected to know what I'll want for my life. I'm only sixteen."

Jillian bit her lip.

"Um.. I.. I don't really know... But, it's um, g-getting late.. So, I'll see you tomorrow!"

She smiled and half pushed half dragged Jake out her door.

Sighing, she decided she needed sleep.

It was that girl again. Her face, bleeding and broken. Machine's beeping in the hospital, family crying, blaming HER.

The air was thick with the smell of blood and rain. Fog covered the area, and Jillian couldn't see anything.

"Jillian.."

The voice sent shivers down her spine, and as she turned, she screamed-

Jillian woke up covered in sweat.

Looking at her clock, she noticed it was only 3am.

She got up and looked out her window- to see Flick taking a jog.

Odd.

She watched as Flick disappeared down the street, and decided that she wanted to go outside too.

Pulling on a sweatsuit, putting her hair in a ponytail, and putting Miku on a leash, she too went outside and began to jog.

She was following Flick, but why, that, she did not know.

(edited)

Flick jogged down her street and turned to head toward the high school. "Once I get there I can just circle the track," Flick thought as the suburban jungle whipped by her. She passed houses she remembered. Houses of friends that had moved, she had drifted from, or had drifted from her each house a landmark along the route to the school grounds.

Once there Flick crossed the yard toward the track as quickly as she could. She tried to avoid raising her gaze to take in the full school in its melancholy after-hours glory. Buildings that should be full of people gave her the creeps when they weren't. Something that should be teeming with teachers and students flitting to and fro like bees in a hive, now looked hollow and empty like that same hive broken open and left violated. Flick shuddered at the thought as she circled the track."No one is out because it's 3am, Flika. Not everyone is as odd as you are."

Edited by Morning Amnesia

Jillian followed Flick to the track, and decided to play a joke on her.

She giggled and called out "Flick!"

And then crouched low, and giggled again.

Miku wagged his tail and sat next to Jillian.

As Flick circled the track and felt free and alone she heard her name called ominously from the tree line surrounding the school. Flick slowed and looked out into the trees. "Hello!? Is someone out there?" Flick called out at first loudly and then, as if suddenly aware of her own voice, much more quietly. Flick had almost written off the call of her name as some trick of her mind and the wind in the trees when she saw a familiar tuft of fur in the trees. Flick sprinted excited toward the trees and called out "Hello..." As she did Miku wiggled free of his leash and ran toward Flick. Flick smiled at the adorable dog from across the street flooded with excitement and relief because the odd noise was just this lovable dog and not a serial killer or something. Flick allowed the shudder of relief to run down through her body to her toes and pet Miku as she knew he liked. She grabbed his loose leash and shared a smile with the dog's panting smile. "Geez Miku, you're getting into all kinds of trouble today, eh? Well, we'll get you home. Jillian is probably a wreck. You shouldn't make your mama worry, Miku. No you should not." She planted a kiss atop the dog's head and started jogging back toward her (and Jillian's) house.

Jillian laughed, and tried to call Miku back, but he'd wiggled free and decided he wanted to run with Flick.

Jillian stood up and jogged behind her, waiting until Flick had knocked on her door, then jumped at her from behind.

"Yo!" She called, laughing.

Flick reached Jillian's door and raised a hand to knock but hesitated due to the hour. She checked the driveway and saw only Jillian's car, "Hmmm her parents must be gone." Flick rapped at the door and jumped as Jillian's familiar voice called out from behind her. Shocked, Flick let Miku's leash go and Miku quickly ran back to his owner's feet.

Flick smiled deeply, put at ease by Jillian's laughter, "Hey Jillian. Sorry I was running at the track and I found Miku and I figured you'd miss him. I didn't want you to stress again like earlier you know?" Flick pet Miku's head and placed a single kiss atop his head then turned to head back to her house, and go to bed. Flick waved nonchalantly over her shoulder and said "see you in the trenches tomorrow."

Jillian nodded.

"I know, I was following you. I went for a jog too." She laughed.

"Thanks, though. See you."

She smiled and went inside her own house, and fell back to sleep until six a.m.

The school day started out fine, she went to all her classes, and at lunch, she sat at her regular table.

Then, all hell broke loose.

Some girl had come up to compliment Jillian's hair, but instead of doing that, she took her coffee and poured it all over Jillian's white cashmere top.

Jillian smiled, stood up and smacked the girl.

"You are a bitch, Jillian Monroe." The girl screamed, and then ran off.

Jake was looking for Jillian at lunch when it all happened. Some girl pouring coffee on Jillian, Jillian smacking the girl, and the girl running off. He quickly walked to Jillian, "What was that all about?!" he whispered

Jake stood straight, an emotionless look on his face, "No... no I guess we aren't..." he muttered. He should've known, she was just gonna go back to the way she was. He thought she had somehow changed, that he could actually learn to like her... guess he was wrong. He wasn't actually surprised, but couldn't understand why it hurt so much.

Jake continued onward, a sad look on his face. He didn't notice when the school captain approach him and shove him down. "Well look who's here! The giant is finally going to get what he deserves!!" he yelled as other football players surrounded Jake. He stood up and readied for a fight, but he knew he wasn't going to win.