Banner by ~ Rikifive

Thoughts On The Anime Sword Art Online?

*inserts two cents*

I have enjoyed SAO very much. I was especially fascinated with the moral quandaries of the separation (or lack thereof) between online and offline behavior and personality, and the action was great. Anything that is immensely popular is bound to draw controversy, so I don't really feel bad for why I like it, and neither should you!

• Brohoof 1

Register now to remove this ad.
3 hours ago, BlueBrony said:

*inserts two cents*

I have enjoyed SAO very much. I was especially fascinated with the moral quandaries of the separation (or lack thereof) between online and offline behavior and personality, and the action was great. Anything that is immensely popular is bound to draw controversy, so I don't really feel bad for why I like it, and neither should you!

Oh? I never thought of it like that. Mind on elaborating what you mean by "moral quandaries of the separation between online and offline behaviour and personality"?

I have seen 2 or 3 episodes of the series and I thought it was okay. It's not really an anime I am interested in watching. 

• Brohoof 1
Badges

On 6/11/2017 at 2:34 AM, OmegaBeamOfficial said:

Oh? I never thought of it like that. Mind on elaborating what you mean by "moral quandaries of the separation between online and offline behaviour and personality"?

well I mean they talk about how many people have a different personality online than they do in "real life". Its been a while since I have watched the show, but I remember the "player killers". Under normal circumstances, killing other players intentionally is not that big a deal ( its just kind of a dickish move). but in SAO, killing players is literally murder, adding much more weight to the act. The reason that they continue to do this is because they still feel that SAO is just a game, not real life. THis brings up some questions: is it okay to do something devious in one reality if it has no apparent consequence in another reality? can someone who is considered a good person in one reality do something bad in another reality and still consider himself a good person because the reality where he did something bad is "not real"?

On a less morbid thought line, is love, marriage, and family something that transcends the reality in which it originates? In SAO, kirito and asuana learn to love each other deeply as they are stuck in that reality, but when they "escape", that love is questioned and challenged in the world outside the game. if SAO and "real life" are no longer directly intertwined, should kirito be insistent on his relationship with asuana, or is it starting from square one? is kirito still yui's "father"?

So yeah that's kinda what I was thinking about a lot as I watched SAO :maud:

• Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, BlueBrony said:

well I mean they talk about how many people have a different personality online than they do in "real life". Its been a while since I have watched the show, but I remember the "player killers". Under normal circumstances, killing other players intentionally is not that big a deal ( its just kind of a dickish move). but in SAO, killing players is literally murder, adding much more weight to the act. The reason that they continue to do this is because they still feel that SAO is just a game, not real life. THis brings up some questions: is it okay to do something devious in one reality if it has no apparent consequence in another reality? can someone who is considered a good person in one reality do something bad in another reality and still consider himself a good person because the reality where he did something bad is "not real"?

On a less morbid thought line, is love, marriage, and family something that transcends the reality in which it originates? In SAO, kirito and asuana learn to love each other deeply as they are stuck in that reality, but when they "escape", that love is questioned and challenged in the world outside the game. if SAO and "real life" are no longer directly intertwined, should kirito be insistent on his relationship with asuana, or is it starting from square one? is kirito still yui's "father"?

So yeah that's kinda what I was thinking about a lot as I watched SAO :maud:

That's actually a very interesting topic, I totally get what you mean, It's just I didn't get the way you phrased it. I always like that idea of how the things you do in video games effect/don't affect the status quo in the real world. Asuna and Kirito married in SAO, how would they prove that love in the real world since everything they did revolved around SAO for 2 years. And I totally get what you mean on the no consequences thing. I play video games where you have to kill a lot of people but in real life I'm not a violent person, yet I still get joy out of doing it in a game, because, well It's just a game, it helps me vent out my frustrations instead of doing so in real life if anything.