Jump to content
Banner by ~ The Wife of Hawks

Does it bother you when MLP people take politics too far?


Recommended Posts

(edited)

There was time when i would browse the twitter pages of everyone involved with this show when I'm feeling down or just feeling bored. These days however, all I see is Anti- Trump rhetoric and tweets about how are country is doomed. Now, before i get a bunch of replies telling me that they're entitled to their views, let me say that I don't mind that they don't have a same political views as me. What I don't like is when they are extremely volatile about it and they tweet and retweet things about how Trump and his supporters are all racist Nazis or say other terrible things. This breaks my heart because these are people that I respect and look up to more than anything and they say they're kind, loving people, but their tweets make me feel otherwise. MLP is one of the main things I turn to when I'm depressed, so when I see the voices of my favorite characters like compare all gun rights supporters to the Orlando shooter or basically call all supporters of a political party evil, it partially makes me feel like they've gone from Love, Tolerance and Acceptance to Divisiveness. Sometimes I worry that all of this will prevent me from seeing some of the show staff the same way anymore.

Edited by Princess Book Horse
  • Brohoof 14
Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges


Register now to remove this ad.

I don't like seeing politics being shoved in everything. Especially entertainment media related things. If I'm on the internet, chances are I'm trying to unwind. I don't need more of the same stress I deal with irl to be shoved in my face when I'm just trying to relax -.-

  • Brohoof 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the one time I decided to drop in on the debate pit on a whim I got drawn into a heated political debate and said some things that...just didn't feel like they came from me.  They came from a dark place of hate, which is the kind of hate I want to bury.  I spent a good couple days regularly checking a board I rarely ever visit.  So, I've decided to stay away from the debate pit, at least for a little while.

From where I'm standing Trump is the embodiment of prejudice and hate, but clearly his supporters don't see that in him, and it's unfair to project that onto his supporters as well.  I have my reasons for disliking him but that's something I've learned to keep to myself.  I mean, I can't understand why Trump has supporters and I probably never will, but his supporters are people too, and I think I went too far in the debate pit.  I'd rather maintain friendship with the people of this forum and I've come to realize if Trump continues to occupy more of my thoughts than he rightfully deserves than he's won.  So, I'll focus my attention elsewhere.  It doesn't matter who leads a particular country as long as friendship wins out in the end.  

  • Brohoof 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

1 minute ago, AlbaTross said:

Well, the one time I decided to drop in on the debate pit on a whim I got drawn into a heated political debate and said some things that...just didn't feel like they came from me.  They came from a dark place of hate, which is the kind of hate I want to bury.  I spent a good couple days regularly checking a board I rarely ever visit.  So, I've decided to stay away from the debate pit, at least for a little while.

From where I'm standing Trump is the embodiment of prejudice and hate, but clearly his supporters don't see that in him, and it's unfair to project that onto his supporters as well.  I have my reasons for disliking him but that's something I've learned to keep to myself.  I mean, I can't understand why Trump has supporters and I probably never will, but his supporters are people too, and I think I went too far in the debate pit.  I'd rather maintain friendship with the people of this forum and I've come to realize if Trump continues to occupy more of my thoughts than he rightfully deserves than he's won.  So, I'll focus my attention elsewhere.  It doesn't matter who leads a particular country as long as friendship wins out in the end.  

I know that feeling of getting too heated and going too far. Even though we're on 2 different sides of that debate, I too have a dark side when it comes to politics. To that end, I can somewhat understand where Tara and the others are coming from.

  • Brohoof 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

It's a shame that politics in general can cause us to think differently about someone, solely on their standings.  I'm guilty of it for sure, but I am trying to be more open minded about it.  We should really treat everyone with respect no matter their views.  

With all that being said, I dislike seeing political posts on MLP writer's twitter as well.  They can and should be able to post what they want (and they do), but I completely agree with you, OP.  I have the same feelings you have towards those posts.

 

  • Brohoof 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's pretty much what has caused me to unfollow a handful of people on Twitter following the election. Ever since then, whenever the show staff don't tweet about the show, they make their 500th tweet about how Trump is Hitler or something. Now I respect the show staff and they are free to their own political views because after all, freedom of speech is a thing. However, I also have the freedom to get annoyed by it and unfollow. I followed these people for their work, not to see them use Twitter as some sort of soap box. If I wanted to see that, I'd follow a political commentator.

Also, especially if it's a writer on the show, it can cause me to have a negative association with the show/episode they wrote. I'd have the potential at drawing parallels within the episode to the political events even if I know that nothing intentionally topical was put in it.

  • Brohoof 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose what defines taking politics "too far" in your view is the point at which you're no longer comfortable and take offense to someone else's viewpoints. In which case I don't see what value your opinion has in that context, what capacity you have to change the situation or why you would subject yourself to what you consider objectionable. 

Personally, so long as the trivial political views of the staff do not distract from or impinge on the artistic integrity and message of the show and its relevant media I couldn't care less. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Their existence isn't defined by this show. The way I see it, they can get as political as they please. It has nothing to do with this show. Now, if we randomly start seeing Twilight Sparkle make a magical anti-Trump sign, then there would be a problem. (That would be pretty cool though)

  • Brohoof 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hiya, @Princess Book Horse! Since your thread specifically relates to MLP staff and how their social media behavior could impact your view of the show, I moved it over to Sugarcube Corner. :) 

 

As a reminder to all, intense political discussion needs to be kept in the Debate Pit. Additionally, keep in mind that hurling insults at one another over political views will not be tolerated. Please treat one another with civility. Thank you. 

  • Brohoof 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Y'know...It's the complete opposite on my end.

I see a lot of my Democrat friends arguing with facts with most never resorting to ad hominem....While most of my Republican Friends...seem to give the vibe like their from a Cult or something....using Conspiracy theories while resorting to ad hominem quite a bit. It's just an observation though, To be honest either doesn't really bother me that much. I sort of disagree with both sides..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you mean the political opinions of the cast?

I think they are allowed to express their political opinions and not like Donald Trump. Just as long as they don't say anything extreme like all Trump supporters are racist Nazis or whatever. And I haven't seen Lauren Faust or Tara Strong do anything like that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The most prominent of the MLP staff has pretty much made it clear that they don't respect Trump or his supporters. If they want to alienate viewers because of differing political opinions, particularly when they throw words such as "racist" and "Nazi" at them, it's not the fan base's fault, it's theirs.

  • Brohoof 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)
15 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

Their existence isn't defined by this show. The way I see it, they can get as political as they please. It has nothing to do with this show. Now, if we randomly start seeing Twilight Sparkle make a magical anti-Trump sign, then there would be a problem. (That would be pretty cool though)

It just feels like they used to be loving and accepting of everyone until this election went down and then they started making polarizing comments about entire groups of people. I get that they don't like Trump or other politicians, but it hurts feeling like they would think I'm racist because i support someone that they disagree with.

Josh Haber literally retweeted "proof" that all Trump supporters are Racist because they had a "fear of diversity." 

Edited by Princess Book Horse
  • Brohoof 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

On 6/10/2017 at 11:09 PM, shy0wl said:

It's a shame that politics in general can cause us to think differently about someone, solely on their standings.  I'm guilty of it for sure, but I am trying to be more open minded about it.  We should really treat everyone with respect no matter their views.  

With all that being said, I dislike seeing political posts on MLP writer's twitter as well.  They can and should be able to post what they want (and they do), but I completely agree with you, OP.  I have the same feelings you have towards those posts.

 

Good thing I don't get involved in politics and twitter then right :dash: ? Well, about the politic, I've got tired of politics because it's a main theme from my Bolivian relatives, and I've ended hating Evo with a passion. Compared to him, Trump is not that bad.I don't like him as a person for reasons the whole world knows, but I hardly care about him. Twitter is because I don't like social media

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never been to any of the writers' or show runners' social media pages but I always just assumed they were liberals based on the fact that they write for a living and produce a children's show about the magic of friendship.

I'm not a liberal myself but it really doesn't bother me what they say on social media so long as politics stays out of the show (and the movie). I stopped caring about the politics of my entertainers a long time ago so long as the product they produce isn't outright propaganda.

  • Brohoof 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

To put it short, it's most likely one of the two

- They legitimately believe in what they're saying and are speaking their minds.

- They want to keep their job.

I'd rather give all of them the benefit of doubt that they are good people in heart and aren't trying to resort to virtue signaling to get attention. So I did not include that as an option.

I'd like to elaborate more on the "keeping job" option. I have a friend who knows some folks who work in the entertainment industry (i.e. Hollywood), and he told me that the enivironment there is very much left leaning. In fact, sometimes they could run the risk of losing their jobs if they don't behave in that left leaning manner collectively predetermined by the industry. At first I didn't believe it, but I'm starting to feel uncertain when I actually got to interact with them in person (for real, not just a  brief moment in a Q&A), such as this April at Babscon.

Now, I'm not sure if it's that they are very good at controlling the irresistible urge to strangle me to death on the spot, or that they want to behave with decency in public, but they behaved drastically different in person compared to how they do online (twitter in particular). I won't go too much into the details, but during our conversations I spoke exactly what was on my mind (Politics was not my main topic, but I did take a few shots at both the left and right, I personally don't believe in the whole left-right division thing but I'll spare the details for now), even made a few jokes in the process; nothing too crazy, but still probably would have made them completely flip the lid if I did so through an online public platform like twitter. Contrary to how they would've acted online, they took it real well, and judging from how they were extraordinarily friendly and chatty with me for the remainder of the convention, they actually enjoyed my unfiltered insanity quite a bit.

So this is my perspective, perhaps something to keep in mind. 

 

Edited by Solid
  • Brohoof 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/12/2017 at 4:30 AM, Solid said:

Now, I'm not sure if it's that they are very good at controlling the irresistible urge to strangle me to death on the spot, or that they want to behave with decency in public, but they behaved drastically different in person compared to how they do online (twitter in particular). I won't go too much into the details, but during our conversations I spoke exactly what was on my mind (Politics was not my main topic, but I did take a few shots at both the left and right, I personally don't believe in the whole left-right division thing but I'll spare the details for now), even made a few jokes in the process; nothing too crazy, but still probably would have made them completely flip the lid if I did so through an online public platform like twitter. Contrary to how they would've acted online, they took it real well, and judging from how they were extraordinarily friendly and chatty with me for the remainder of the convention, they actually enjoyed my unfiltered insanity quite a bit.

So this is my perspective, perhaps something to keep in mind. 

 

 

 

This gives me some hope that they would still like me if they found out that I support Trump. If I ever meet them in person, I wouldn't bring up politics, but i would probably wear a small Trump pin. Hopefully, they won't hate me for it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

(edited)

Most Media Companies out there and their respective employed staff are Libertarian Small-Time Extremists, they have good intentions but often put too strong a point on their dislike for something. I believe this is partly due to the whole "we're famous, we're rich so people will hear us" so they make it a mission to make the most strongest message against something they don't agree with, often being too extreme (like that one reporter from cnn who posed with a fake trump head covered in fake blood, she was fired). In the end we cannot decide how someone else acts, that's completely up to them, we can choose wither we want to see it or not though, just ignore it if it's really bothering you. 

Edited by Lunar Echo
  • Brohoof 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

  • 2 weeks later...
Guest

Yes. I find politics extremely boring, no matter who talks about it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I dislike it when politics get into anything. It's tiresome and gets more than enough coverage on the news. I like my entertainment to be free of it. Simple as that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...