Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think the reformations are getting ridiculous?

VeroxVitrus

I see it all the time in mlp, some villain becomes very powerful and suddenly all it takes is a simple lecture by Twilight, Starlight telling the antagonist how forgiving people and making friends with them will simply solve things. If an all powerful warlord came knocking on my door I would beat him up instead of inviting him inside and talking things over while having a brew and watching the latest episode of whatever's on TV. I'm not saying mlp should be teaching more violent solutions (As much as I dream of the day Twilight pulls out a gun on Chrysalis and shoot's her) and I'm just saying MLP should be teaching kids to be more smart with who they let into their life.

If someone betrays you or tries to hurt you or one of your friends, lock the door and keep them out of your life

• Brohoof 1

Starlight's reformation in the season 5 finale was the final straw for me and made me realize that show for the most part isn't really that great at villain reformations period.

• Brohoof 1

That "Simple lecture" by Twilight only happened once, and it also involved seeing her actions causing the apocalypse for starters. Anyway, if you can avoid violence, why wouldn't you? If you can talk someone down and make them your friend rather than your foe, I see that as the ultimate form of "Victory", far better than to just beat someone up and toss them in a cell and call it a day.

I think everyone and anyone can change...It's just a matter if they WANT to or not, and some people won't want to. You should definitely be careful about who you trust, but I think it's good to see the show go for more methods of forgiveness and redemption, rather than just beating up all the baddies. It fits for the show that's literally named "Friendship is Magic". It's not like all the villains have been redeemed either, Tirek, Chrysalis, the Sirens...They didn't change.

The real world could use some more forgiveness I feel.

• Brohoof 9

1 hour ago, VeroxVitrus said:

I would beat him up instead of inviting him inside

Sure you would, fella. Sure you would. 

As I said before: you know that they didn't reform every villain, right? I mean, Starlight wasn't even able to convince Chrysalis not to be petty and evil. She only convinced the Changelings because they were starving and just following orders.

our weekly "i don't like reformations" thread

I will say it in a short version this time. The show is called "friendship is magic" with the show living in an idealistic society. So, of course reformations happen, because every villain deep inside is actually good there.

• Brohoof 2

Wow, what show are you watching? Because I don't see it all the time. In fact Twilight has only talked one villain down into reforming themselves.

I don't think once counts as "all the time".

And if you take Twilight out of the picture there have not even been that  many reformations in general. There have not even been that many conflicts with all powerful warlords.

Exaggerations. Gotta love 'em. Or not.

I think they shouldn't have reformed Gilda, The Flim Flam brothers and more of these minor villains. But it is a kids show and it is mostly about Friendship and redemption. You have to make reformations so now and then.

9 minutes ago, Hierok said:

I think they shouldn't have reformed Gilda, The Flim Flam brothers and more of these minor villains. But it is a kids show and it is mostly about Friendship and redemption. You have to make reformations so now and then.

Those characters were never reformed.

Gilda was never evil... just a jealous & egotistical griffin, who finally got over herself because she honestly was friends with RD even in her original episode. And Flim and Flam are still sleazy con artists.

On 6/11/2017 at 0:50 PM, Hierok said:

Gilda never committed a crime. She was just a bitchy character. What you call redemption is called personal growth in the real world and it does happen. These are the kinda stories I love to see because it actually may inform a kid's decisions as they get older. "Maybe that dick isn't always going to be a dick."

Flim Flam did commit fraud, which I had an issue with in their second appearance. I preferred them being shrewd business ponies over being law breakers. 

Trixie is another one they almost messed up. She actually had a reason to be a little pissy about Ponyville. But that slip up in Magic Duel is forgiven since the episode it happened in was entertaining. Diamond Tiara was misguided and her change of heart helped make that episode God Tier. 

I'm perfectly fine with the jerk characters growing a little. Hell, it's one of the brand's commandments by this point. 

Agreed. the fact that the changelings went from succubi to a bunch of all loving, perfectly beneign beings just sickens me :X

I don't mind reformations happening occasionally (I'm quite happy at a couple in the show, like gilda), but It SERIOUSLY needs to be balanced by having some true and evil villains as well.

On 2017-6-13 at 1:15 AM, Jeric said:

Gilda never committed a crime. She was just a bitchy character. What you call redemption is called personal growth in the real world and it does happen. These are the kinda stories I love to see because it actually may inform a kid's decisions as they get older. "Maybe that dick isn't always going to be a dick."

Flim Flam did commit fraud, which I had an issue with in their second appearance. I preferred them being shrewd business ponies over being law breakers. 

Trixie is another one they almost messed up. She actually had a reason to be a little pissy about Ponyville. But that slip up in Magic Duel is forgiven since the episode it happened in was entertaining. Diamond Tiara was misguided and her change of heart helped make that episode God Tier. 

I'm perfectly fine with the jerk characters growing a little. Hell, it's one of the brand's commandments by this point. 

And that's fine by me, but a show need characters we love to hate and if you redeem them all, you'll lose that.

A lot of the "reformations" are acceptable and done well in my opinion. Even in Starlight's case, which I think was done in a rather rushed manner given her transgression, was predictable. What does annoy  me a bit is the fact that every pony antagonist and villain has been reformed and turned good. Yes, even King Sombra if you follow the comics. Though his alternate version turned evil so I guess it cancels out. I guess those were technically spoilers but I don't really care since their respective issues have been out for quite some time. The one exception I can think of is Dr. Caballeron but I don't really care about him.

All the other major, unreformed villains I can think of are non-ponies(Chrysalis, Sirens, Tirek, Ahuizotl).

I want to see a major pony villain who is totally unredeemable. Like this guy:

Spoiler

medium.png.23c18c6699ec560a6f688321103cb516.png

If they reform this guy then that's it. FiM has jumped the shark in that domain as far as I'm concerned. 

Just look at this motherbucker! He looks like the pony devil!

(edited)
17 hours ago, Roughshod said:

A lot of the "reformations" are acceptable and done well in my opinion. Even in Starlight's case, which I think was done in a rather rushed manner given her transgression, was predictable. What does annoy  me a bit is the fact that every pony antagonist and villain has been reformed and turned good. Yes, even King Sombra if you follow the comics. Though his alternate version turned evil so I guess it cancels out. I guess those were technically spoilers but I don't really care since their respective issues have been out for quite some time. The one exception I can think of is Dr. Caballeron but I don't really care about him.

All the other major, unreformed villains I can think of are non-ponies(Chrysalis, Sirens, Tirek, Ahuizotl).

I want to see a major pony villain who is totally unredeemable. Like this guy:

Hide contents

medium.png.23c18c6699ec560a6f688321103cb516.png

If they reform this guy then that's it. FiM has jumped the shark in that domain as far as I'm concerned. 

Just look at this motherbucker! He looks like the pony devil!

Damn right, that'd be ridiculous to reform that obviously bad guys :D. What's next, reform Ganondorf or Freezy :dash:  ?

5537703-frieza+full+power.png

Friendship is magic guys, here's a guy who can turn over a new leaf. Totally legit :dash: 

Edited by Steve Piranha

I don't see anything wrong with reformations as it's too much evil in the world as it is. Nice to see something harmonic and good for a change.

What's so wrong with having the kids see a brighter side of things? Giving them hope? Faith? Pixie dust? .. No bust really, we need shiny, bright things sometimes to stand the dark and evil mankind. It's good.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I did care for the whole " Repetitive Reformation" thing, though it does work for this show. I once thought that reforming villains aren't thebest idea, but because of that, we got Sunset Shimmer and Starlight being a well developed character. Heck, even reformed Discord being so likable then he was manipulative. 

Edited by Adamgreen

• 2 weeks later...

I have said this before on the subject, but the reformations do not bother me. The entire basis of this show is friendship and a big part of friendship is having the ability to forgive someone for their wrongdoings and for the wrongdoer to make up for the wrongs they did. That goes perfectly with the show's overall theme. We also have had at least two major villains not have reformations so far, so it is not like it always happens every time.

Ponies have very high Speech Skills ;)) so they can pacify every threat of Equestria, beside some more stubborn villains, but they can use Rainbow Power to get rid of them anyway. 

Starlight reformation is believable to me, at least it isnt rushed like Jupiter Montage, Sunset Shimmer, the only problem is how forgiving ponies are, even Pinkie comments her friend group is so forgiving, so the show is self-aware what they are doing, you guys cant do any shit about that.

Bonus: i have a feeling there will more villains to reform in the movie

The next villain:

70 Speech required to reform them.

Tips:

You can bring Princess Twilight with you, she has Friendship Authority perk, can pacify any Pony NPC.

You have option to kill them but you will lost 50 Friendship Point.

i am playing too much Fallout...

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Lambdadelta said:

Ponies have very high Speech Skills ;)) so they can pacify every threat of Equestria, beside some more stubborn villains, but they can use Rainbow Power to get rid of them anyway. 

Starlight reformation is believable to me, at least it isnt rushed like Jupiter Montage, Sunset Shimmer, the only problem is how forgiving ponies are, even Pinkie comments her friend group is so forgiving, so the show is self-aware what they are doing, you guys cant do any shit about that.

Bonus: i have a feeling there will more villains to reform in the movie

Sunsets wasn't rushed. She got a whole movie for her redemption for equestrias sake! :P I think Starlight reason to be evil was a little weak, so that her redemption felt a little weird for me. :lol:

I think it's a good thing that this show partakes on the lighter side of every problem but in some instances the true facts must be presented even if it means the worst. Some villians aren't just worth reforming or simply can't be either due their nature or consequences. I would like to see a more of that somehow within MLP. 

4 hours ago, Hierok said:

Sunsets wasn't rushed. She got a whole movie for her redemption for equestrias sake! :P I think Starlight reason to be evil was a little weak, so that her redemption felt a little weird for me. :lol:

Reformation and Redemption are different, Sunset is already reformed right after she tasted the rainbow, anything after that is her redemption arc, her redemption arc in RR is spectacular, no complain, but i am talking about internal conflict and Sunset just change too fast, like she is reset by the rainbow or sth. It take more time for Twilight to finally convince Starlight to give up and Starlight herself still struggle to become better person, until now, she still pretty problematic, right? Discord taste his own medicine in Twilight Kingdom to stop being an evil guy but he still a pain in the ass until Discordant Harmony.

Sunset just change too fast, it's like the Rainbow stuffs has to do sth with her brain that somehow erase all of her evil personality ;), if you count the comic "Fall of Sunset Shimmer" and tell me that Sunset can change to 100% goodie without being corrupted by Siren's hate smoke in Rainbow Rock, i dont buy that. 

• Brohoof 1