Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pony race choices Most to least popular.

Maple Bat

What's your primary Oc's race?  

34 users have voted

1. 1. What's your primary Oc's race?

• Earth pony
    • Pegasus
    • Unicorn
    • Alicorn
    • Changeling
    • Bat pony
    • Other
    • Crystal ponies

(edited)

So I've been looking around the forums and other places and I noticed a trend in OC creation when it came to race this trend includes either Unicorns or Pegasus being the most popular for peoples primary OC creation While earth ponies are usually neglected but there are more than just those 3 as well. 

This is what I think Oc's are most often to least often

(Again just my opinion based on a observation I made and I'm probably wrong.)

1. Pegasi
  2. Unicorns
  3. Alicorns
  4. Earth ponies
  5. Changelings
  6. Crystal ponies
  7. Bat ponies

What do you think that the popularity chart should look like Which being the most poplar? Which being least popular?

Edit: according to the votes at this moment I seem to be mostly correct

(To the moderators as usual sorry if this was already made or needs to be moved)

Edited by Maple Bat
Small thing at the end
  • Brohoof 5

(edited)

Of all my OC ponies I have given names to:

10 are Earth ponies

4 are pegasi

2 are unicorns

So of the main three, earth ponies are my most popular while unicorns are least.

Edited by Yoshi89

All in all,  I would agree with your list Maple. Pegasi are easily the most prominent,  with the unicorns on strong second place. Earth ponies are often viewed as "lacking" compared to them,  and therefore are picked way less often. Changeling and bats are like, officially niche choices.

There are of course as many reasons as people for favouring one race over other. Pegasi are like: "I'm no overused unicorn,  but still have some cool abilities", Unicorns... magic obviously,  I'll put a curtain of silence over alicorns, while earth ponies seem to be the underdog pick.

Also, I find the lack of crystal ponies... disturbing! My main is a crystal pony, and even though I made a few more - an earth pony, bat twins and a joke lamia - Crystal Clear is and always will be my favourite.

27 minutes ago, Raven Rawne said:

Also, I find the lack of crystal ponies... disturbing! My main is a crystal pony, and even though I made a few more - an earth pony, bat twins and a joke lamia - Crystal Clear is and always will be my favourite.

Gah! I forgot about them. I'm sorry (I hope you weren't mad at me for it) I'll add them real quick to that list of mine.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Roughshod said:

Uh, racism is bad, mkay? 

I'm not mad or upset at this. It's merely and observation on the prominence of people choices. After all I chose a bat pony and I only know 2 other Bat pony Ocs as compared to the thousands of others as well.

(If that post was sarcastic sorry.)

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Maple Bat said:

(If that post was sarcastic sorry.)

Of course it was sarcastic... 

Racism is awesome! :yay:

Spoiler

For the sake of my account I want to state the above was completely sarcastic! :lie:

Racism is not awesome. :okiedokieloki:

• Brohoof 1

Yeah don't normally see cows walking around Ponyville much. we see Cranky but that's about it. don't see other species in Canterlot or Manehatton. 

oh my those poor secondary Citizens

52 minutes ago, Roughshod said:

Uh, racism is bad, mkay? 

15 minutes ago, Liquid said:

Donkeys and mules. Especially mules. They're so rare, you can make a game of punching someone whenever you come across one.

21 minutes ago, BlinkZ said:

Yeah don't normally see cows walking around Ponyville much. we see Cranky but that's about it. don't see other species in Canterlot or Manehatton. 

oh my those poor secondary Citizens

How can you forget about sweet, sweet Matilda? :c

266600__safe_solo_artist-colon-mangneto_

3 hours ago, Maple Bat said:

Gah! I forgot about them. I'm sorry (I hope you weren't mad at me for it) I'll add them real quick to that list of mine.

Mad? Nah. Technically, they're a subtype of the three regular races so it's not like your list was horribly lacking or something. Besides, they're very rare for OC's and nearly unseen in the show proper, so it's easy to forget about them. Which makes it all the more interesting to have one - you can do some world building with their backstories.

(edited)
1 minute ago, Raven Rawne said:

Mad? Nah. Technically, they're a subtype of the three regular races so it's not like your list was horribly lacking or something. Besides, they're very rare for OC's and nearly unseen in the show proper, so it's easy to forget about them. Which makes it all the more interesting to have one - you can do some world building with their backstories.

One of my 3 Oc's is a crystal pony actually and that's why I felt bad that I forgot

The other 2 My main Bat pony and her brother a dragonequus

Also It seems at the moment my list was mostly correct

Edited by Maple Bat

I only have one OC and that is my hypnotic Lamiapony Mesme Rize, which is a cross between a pony and a snake.

I know, Lamiaponies have no been part of the show yet, but i like being unique. And besides, maybe they will become canon one day. :P

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Mesme Rize said:

I only have one OC and that is my hypnotic Lamiapony Mesme Rize, which is a cross between a pony and a snake.

I know, Lamiaponies have no been part of the show yet, but i like being unique. And besides, maybe they will become canon one day. :P

I knew you'd turn up here :twi:

Yea since they aren't cannon for now that'd be other. (However I hope they become cannon too that'd be cool.)

1 minute ago, Maple Bat said:

I knew you'd turn up here :twi:

Yea since they aren't cannon for now that'd be other. (However I hope they become cannon too that'd be cool.)

Thanks for expecting me. Autographs are given out after the show. :P

It would fit to the fantasy world of Equestria, considering alot of the creatures there are based on greek mythology and Lamias are also out of Greek mythology.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@Maple Bat @Mesme Rize

I chose to make my main OC, Will Guide, an unicorn so he'd be able to do Disney Magic.

I also chose to have the reborn soul of a gay Changeling existing in him, so I could play with an idea of an homosexual Changeling having been raised in a hetero-normative Changeling hive, as well as give his Unicorn side the means of putting on his Disney performances to Equestrians of all ages, genders, species, etc.

Edited by WiiGuy2014

My main OC is not of any canon pony race. He's a pony with two dog ear-like horns. Just picture the dicloni from Elfen Lied manga, except for canine ear like horns, and they serve as...... basically Matt Murdock instead of slicing people with invisible hands :please:

standard_fantastic.jpg

On 6/11/2017 at 1:55 PM, Maple Bat said:

So I've been looking around the forums and other places and I noticed a trend in OC creation when it came to race this trend includes either Unicorns or Pegasus being the most popular for peoples primary OC creation While earth ponies are usually neglected but there are more than just those 3 as well. 

This is what I think Oc's are most often to least often

(Again just my opinion based on a observation I made and I'm probably wrong.)

1. Pegasi
  2. Unicorns
  3. Alicorns
  4. Earth ponies
  5. Changelings
  6. Crystal ponies
  7. Bat ponies

What do you think that the popularity chart should look like Which being the most poplar? Which being least popular?

Edit: according to the votes at this moment I seem to be mostly correct

(To the moderators as usual sorry if this was already made or needs to be moved)

That actually makes since. Though flight isn't exactly a pegasus exclusive ability anymore, with Starlight Glimmer being able too fly using levitation. 

*On a side note the only oc I made is a earth pony only because I don't want him too have any super powers.

huh.... i'd have thought there were more pegasi than Unicorns. but I guess the fandom seems to like to be able to keep the use of their fingers with magic. 

Meh. I chose pegasus, not because I want to fly, but because the Pegasus is sort of my family's mascot and has been since my Dad's Dad built his Pegasus dinghy yacht in the 50s. I've been fascinated with the mythical creature ever since I was small too. So it was the natural choice to make my OC a pegasus.  

• Brohoof 1

Well I like Pegasi a lot, so I made mine one, and she is still a pony despite her being fox-like. I am not surprised that that race is the second most common so far as they have been shown having important parts. Also apparently the word "Pegasi" is not recognized in the text editor, as it shows with a red line under it.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

Toward the earlier times of the fandom I would definitely say that out of the three pony races Pegasi were in the lead with Unicorns following closely and earth ponies way lower. But I feel like over time the Unicorns have come into the lead. At least from more modern polls and from what I've seen on these forums. My guess is that it is due to the show giving Unicorns more and more power. It really started with Starlight and ever since then Unicorns have continued to receive buffs. There also has been a bit of a decline I Pegasus ocs. This is probably due to Pegasus ocs being shamed for "being to common" or "being unoriginal", which I don't agree with. I'm pretty sure Earth Pony ocs have been on a slow and steady rise due to so many people sticking up for them.

In case you wanted to know, my main oc is a Pegasus.