Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private Sanctuary, Appaloosa (1x1 Reboot w/ driz)

Jack Baker

@Driz

Raze looked back at the nest. "Yeah, maybe... if this path even leads to an upstairs," he said. "Let's... backtrack, go to the other door I saw." 

He went back to the room they were in before and entered the door to the right of the main entrance. He stopped in his tracks.

"Oh you've gotta be kidding me..." he said as he saw another hornet nest stuck to the ceiling of the room. There was furniture scattered everywhere as well, making the simple room feel more like a winding maze.

"Well, great!" Lory exclaimed, promptly turning back around and heading back into the first room. She paced back in forth for a few seconds, distressful. After thinking for a while longer, no reasonable plan came into mind. "What do we do now, Mr. Hero?..." She asked Raze. Placing her hands on her hips, then scratching her head - somewhat reluctant, she suggested:

"...Should we just make a run for it? I mean... They won't attack us as long as we don't provoke them... Right? Let's just bolt to the other side."

@Driz

Raze looked at the hive, then shivered. There was only one way they were going to get through this room, and it was through that nest.

Suddenly, however, he had an idea. 

"Hold up," he said to Lory. "I just thought of something." He equipped the shotgun and pumped it once. "When I say run... book it back out the way we came, alright?" He took a deep breath, aimed the shotgun at the nest, and fired. It exploded into a million pieces, but also angered the hornets surrounding it.

"SHIT!!" he exclaimed. "Run for it!!!" He quickly turned around and opened the door leading back to the entrance of the house, quickly shutting it behind him when they were both through. He was gasping for breath as he listened to the hornets rage in the other room.

"Holy hell... Celestia above..." he cursed under his breath.

After sprinting towards the exit as required, Lory sat down on the ground and laid her back against the door, holding it closed shut. Since the chain of events dissolved rather quickly, she barely had any time to think things more thoroughly and follow Raze's plan accordingly. Nevertheless, the aforementioned plan seemed to work, to some extent.

After regaining her breath in a few seconds, Lory proceeded to curl her hand into a fist and delivered a punch to her partner's shoulder.

"Nice going, Mr. Guns Ablaze! I thought the idea was not to piss off the bugs." She scolded him angrily. "How the hell are we supposed to get past now? They're everywhere!" She then lifted herself up and attempted to peek through one of the barricaded windows.

@Driz

Raze sighed. "Wait for it..." He leaned against the wall as he heard the hornets' angry buzzing died down as they dissipated and spread out. The room was now clear to enter. 

"See? They calm down eventually, and they won't bother us anymore with their nest gone," he said to Lory. "Now come on. We need to keep looking for that serum..." He walked back inside the room.

Lory sighed in annoyance. "Whatever..." She said under her breath and followed Raze back inside the house.

Now with that obstacle out of the way, they could finally sneak past the previously infested room and reach the old house's interior. Lory took a few steps into the newly accessible room and began looking around. From the looks of it, no more hornets or dangerous-looking insects seemed to be in sight. With that, she proceeded into the narrow corridor.

@Driz

When they made it through the room, Raze opened the door to see they were now in a small kitchen of some sort. He turned to his immediate right. There was a large metal container with chain link doors. Inside, he could see some useful supplies: shotgun shells and a first aid med. However, the doors were covered in large, dangerous looking spiders.

"Ugh... looks like there's more than just hornets we're dealing with..." he said. He looked around and found a door a few feet in front of the cabinet. He opened it, finding himself outside. Ahead, there was a small drawbridge of some sort above swampy water, leading to a small shack ahead. The crank was missing, though, and the crank mechanism was also covered in another hornet nest. To his left, there was another, small dimly lit shack a few feet ahead. He quickly made his way over, inspecting the inside. It looked safe, nothing but a small desk and a couple of chairs, along with some shelves lined with trinkets. He closed the door behind them. 

"I say we take another break," he said to Lory. "Figure out how we're gonna approach this..."

Lory sighed. "Fine." She agreed, taking a short stroll around the small shack. She walked towards one small hole on the wall, displaying the view of a pitch-black swamp-like area. The smell wasn't anywhere near pleasant, as well. She crossed her arms, rubbing off some of the moisture that had attached to her skin. She remained standing still for a while. The mare couldn't exactly think straight. She wanted out, but they were only descending deeper and deeper into madness. She didn't know whether or not it had been a good idea to try and find that fabled serum: in fact, she didn't want to think too hard about it. Her mind was foggy, not too different from the swamp outside.

"...Have I ever told you about the time I went to jail?" She asked nonchalantly, trying to make conversation. She wasn't one to strategize about their objectives, after all.

@Driz

Raze was checking how much ammo he had when he heard Lory bring up the topic. He stopped and slowly turned around, brow raised.

"...No?" he said, confused. "No, I... don't think you ever did." He grabbed one of the chairs and sat down. "What happened?"

Lory continued to stare at the nothingness. Her arms crossed, her appearance expressionless. She took a couple more seconds to organize her thoughts before beginning.

"A couple of years ago, I shared my flat in Manehattan with this guy for some time. His name was Flash Cannon. An electrical engineer from Las Pegasus looking for a job... I managed to hook him up with our band's producers and he began working the lights in some of our shows." The mare lowered her head and sighed. "We were dating not too long after that. We got along well and... he seemed like such a nice guy..." She lifted her head back up.

"A few weeks later, I came back home from Garmuth's practice session a little earlier than usual. Climbing up the stairs to the flat, I heard some weird noises coming from it. Since Flash wasn't supposed to be home, I assumed it was a thief or something. I opened the door slowly. Nothing. Tip-toed my way towards our bedroom, the noises got louder. And when I opened the door..." Lory then stopped, closing her eyes tight. She brought her hand to the top of her head and ran it down across her hair.

"...I caught him on the act. Motherfucker didn't have time to react. Him and... that bitch." She grit her teeth. "I didn't even know who she was: never met her in my life. But there the two were. Banging like a couple of street dogs... At that moment my entire body froze. I felt like was having a heart attack... I don't even remember much of what happened after that. My mind went numb. All I remember is that I just ran away as fast as I could... Probably passed out on the street or something." She rubbed her arms with her hands.

"The next day, I woke up in a local bar. They were nice enough to give me some blankets and fresh water. But then... came the realization of what had happened... I could feel my blood boiling inside my veins. I was just livid. And boy, oh boy... Was I gonna do something about it." She chuckled lightly. "I was making my way back home. Came across a piece of steel pipe lying on the sidewalk - much like this one I'm using. Picked it up and continued towards my destination."

"Once there, I knocked on our flat's door. Once he opened it, I immediately just whammed his face. He fell to the ground, already out of it. I dislocated his jaw and he probably lost a few teeth as well. But to my surprise, his bitch was still there as well. Saw everything: called the police. Then it was all over... I just turned myself in and... the rest is history." Lory finally turned around to look at Raze. Her eyes were watering slightly.

"My bandmates managed to bail me out since we had an upcoming show in just a few days. In return, nearly all of that show's profit was handed out to the cops... That was actually one of the reasons why I was kicked out afterwards." She concluded. "Never heard of Flash Cannon again... I have no idea of where he is, and I don't give a rat's ass. Only thing is... I regret not having finished the job." She said looking down. "I regret not having killed him right there and then. Instead I just turned around and walked away... I regret every living second of it." The mare clenched her fists tightly. "I should've just murdered his cheating ass... Should've had his blood all over my hands... But I chickened out. I was a coward..."

Lory simply continued looking down. She ceased speaking - she had nothing else to say.

@Driz

Raze sat there in silence, contemplating what Lory had just told him. He scooted closer toward her and put a reassuring hand on her shoulder.

"...He got what he deserved," he said to her. "And that's all that matters. No need to take it any farther than that. You're not a coward; you're anything but. The fact that you even allowed him to live after that takes a lot of guts, and a lot of self control. You've got nothing to regret." He smiled slightly, moving his hand under her chin, raising it so that she was looking at him. "C'mon, no need to beat yourself up over it. It's all in the past now, and you'll never see him again. Just focus on the things in front of you, you know?"

• Brohoof 1

Lory stared at Raze for a while with a blank expression on her feature. After a few seconds, she proceeded to turn away and rub her hands against her eyes. "Right... Right." She nodded while patting her thighs, coming to her senses. "I guess I have... bigger problems to worry about right now... Thinking about some stupid punk from years ago ain't gonna make my life easier." She continued to nod several times as if trying to convince herself with her own words.

"I really just... kinda needed to get this off my chest somehow. I dunno why this entire situation we're in reminded me of that, but... whatever. It did." She shrugged. "All in all, Flash Cannon destroyed my life. I became skeptical, went to jail and lost my dream job. Ugh, WHATEVER!! Why am I still saying that!?" The mare shook her head angrily.

"Look, just... Yeah... Thank you, Ray-Ray. Dunno what would happen to me if you weren't here." Lory smiled brightly at him.

@Driz

"No problem," Raze said to her, standing up and slinging his shotgun over his shoulder. 

"So, anyway... what are we gonna do about these bugs...?" he asked, staring at the desk. Suddenly, something caught his eye. On top of it was a small sheet of paper, with a very detailed sketch of some sort of device. From what he could gather, it looked like some sort of homemade flamethrower. There was a note attached to it. 

"Misplaced the parts around here. Need to find them..." he read aloud. "Huh..."

As Raze began to read the paper, Lory's ears perked up. She walked closer to him, standing next to his shoulder, from where she could take a look at the sketch as well.  Once her eyes met with the contents of that document, she suddenly filled up with sheer glee. On a sudden change of mood, she snatched the paper away from Raze's hands, reading it for herself.

"A goddamn flamethrower? Are you seeeeeeerious!?" She asked in disbelief. "Celestia above, just imagine us burning those little suckers down with a flamethrower! How absolutely insane is that!?" Just like that, Lory was hyped again.

"Come on, Ray-Ray, let's look for the parts!"

@Driz

"Yeah," Raze said, taking the sketch from her and opening the door, heading outside again. He walked back to the kitchen of the old house, finding another door that led to a small hallway. Another door was in front of him a few inches away, and he opened it. He found himself in a small room, filled with various junk. Nothing really caught his attention, save for a small projector flashing light in front of a small painting.

"Oh, great... another one of these weird devices..." he said. Next to the projector was an entrance leading to a brightly lit porch overlooking the swamp. Heading out, he looked to his right. There was a familiar looking piece of metal on top of some trash bags. He looked at the flamethrower sketch and saw that it was part of the flamethrower, the trigger handle. He picked it up.

"Alright, that's one piece..." he said. He walked back to the projector room, observing it.

"Hmm... what if the other piece is behind here?" he asked Lory. "See if you can find something to cast a shadow on this thing."

"Uh-huh..." Lory answered, absentmindedly, while already inspecting the projector. She had seen one similar to that back inside the house, but back then, they were too busy fleeing for a murderous family man to properly explore around the place. From her intuitions, that light cannon really didn't feel like it belonged there. It felt somehow out of place. Either way, if it did function like the last one they say, they would require something specific to crack the code.

"Hmm..." She continued to stare blankly at the device. Needless to say, that wasn't going to solve their problem. Just then, Lory went over to the front of the projector, casting her own shadow against the wall. "...Hey Ray-Ray." She called out. "Check this out." The mare crouched down, ducking below the beam of light. She lifted her left hand up, positioned her fingers just right and...

Spoiler

slocum-sings-prince-slider.jpg

"Woof woof." She mimicked. "Woof. Hey, dude. Throw me a bone. Woof woof." Lory tried to contain her laughter.

Edited by Driz

• 2 weeks later...

@Driz

((OOC: Terribly sorry again for the long wait, I had been very busy over the past couple of weeks))

Raze gave her a confused look, then shook his head. "Really...?" he said. He looked back at the painting. It looked like he needed to form the silhouette of a spider using the projector, but he couldn't find anything in the room that looked remotely close to it.

"Well, there's nothing here..." he said. "Maybe we should backtrack..." He walked out of the room, all the way back to the place where he shot the hornet nest. He saw a fireplace... with an eerie glow coming out of it. He ducked under and saw that there was a tunnel leading deeper into the house. 

"Hey, I think I found something!" he called out to Lory, before crawling inside. He found himself in a long, concrete hallway with a door at the end.

Lory turned her attention to Raze once he called out to her, watching him crawl inside a small space he'd found. Raising her eyebrows in surprise, she readily hopped over to the fireplace and followed suit, crouching down in order to reach the other side. Once there, she lifted herself up, patting some dust off her clothes.

"Those freaks sure like their secret hideouts..." She commented with a low sigh. "Welp, let's check it out then!" And she began walking slowly across the corridor.