Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

All pony generations are historically linked?

ManaMinori

I have always believed that each and every pony gen take place in the same universe- each just being on a different timeline in history, and that the gens that are given in order (Gen 1 1, 2, 3, 4) don't necessarily occur in "pony history" in the order that they're broadcast. There are a few others who also support this theory, interestingly enough.

local forum resident Fhaolan has a few blog posts on it:

what do you guys think of this theory?

They're all different continuities/reboots

Connecting them just needlessly complicates things and in many cases, make no sense

30 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

I have always believed that each and every pony gen take place in the same universe- each just being on a different timeline in history

^I highly doubt that, honestly. As much as I really want G4 ponies exploring lands of the prior generations (particularly G1 and G3), I think this theory is pretty unlikely. Way too many inconsistencies in lore-related materials.

For example, in G3, it is explicitly stated that the only way rainbows can be made, is through the magic of the unicorn race. And only the select few chosen unicorns can perform this rainbow ritual or else the entire subsequent year all rainbows will disappear (both real rainbows and artificial rainbows like ones adorning decorations, Rainbow Dash's mane, and a caterpillar's body markings, etc.):

Later, Rarity gains the ability to create rainbows of her own volition by means of her magic wand:

So yes, obviously this clashes greatly with G4's "Weather/ Rainbow Factory" setup. Of course, we do have a (potential) callback to the G3 way of thinking in the masterful Magical Mystery Cure, with Rarity controlling the weather (no rainbows in sight tho):

6 minutes ago, K.Rool Addict said:

^I highly doubt that, honestly. As much as I really want G4 ponies exploring lands of the prior generations (particularly G1 and G3), I think this theory is pretty unlikely. Way too many inconsistencies in lore-related materials.

For example, in G3, it is explicitly stated that the only way rainbows can be made, is through the magic of the unicorn race. And only the select few chosen unicorns can perform this rainbow ritual or else the entire subsequent year all rainbows will disappear (both real rainbows and artificial rainbows like ones adorning decorations, Rainbow Dash's mane, and a caterpillar's body markings, etc.):

Later, Rarity gains the ability to create rainbows of her own volition by means of her magic wand:

So yes, obviously this clashes greatly with G4's "Weather/ Rainbow Factory" setup. Of course, we do have a (potential) callback to the G3 way of thinking in the masterful Magical Mystery Cure, with Rarity controlling the weather (no rainbows in sight tho):

honestly, that doesn't prove they're completely disconnected. As I said in the op, different timelines in history. Its not completely improbable to assume that at some early beginning, unicorns made the rainbows on their own. Then as time progressed, the ritual might have become too stressful, requiring 4 different unicorns each year who had the magic capacity to, or who wouldn't get it done on time (like Rarity), and so they switched methods, enchanting an artifact with the rainbow, to just wave the wand and get it done. (this is seen also in g4, where many powerful artifacts are imbued with the magic of many- the Crystal Heart, for example). It could've been that as natural rainbows were disappearing, the unicorns took it upon themselves to create them, and the Moochick of g1 kept the last piece of the natural rainbow, while eventually the task was delegated to the pegasi at some point, while unicorns began to manage the weather after Discord's tyranny. To assume that methods stay the same throughout the course of history is foolish.

37 minutes ago, The Undefeated of the East said:

They're all different continuities/reboots

Connecting them just needlessly complicates things and in many cases, make no sense

what fun is there in making sense? Certainly doesn't leave much to the imagination.

28 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

honestly, that doesn't prove they're completely disconnected. As I said in the op, different timelines in history. Its not completely improbable to assume that at some early beginning, unicorns made the rainbows on their own. Then as time progressed, the ritual might have become too stressful, requiring 4 different unicorns each year who had the magic capacity to, or who wouldn't get it done on time (like Rarity), and so they switched methods, enchanting an artifact with the rainbow, to just wave the wand and get it done. (this is seen also in g4, where many powerful artifacts are imbued with the magic of many- the Crystal Heart, for example). It could've been that as natural rainbows were disappearing, the unicorns took it upon themselves to create them, and the Moochick of g1 kept the last piece of the natural rainbow, while eventually the task was delegated to the pegasi at some point, while unicorns began to manage the weather after Discord's tyranny. To assume that methods stay the same throughout the course of history is foolish.

I still think it's a bit of a stretch. Why wouldn't this information be revealed in past episodes like Hearth's Warming Eve or idk other episodes that heavily feature flashbacks / retellings of stories from the past? There should have been something, like a tour of the rainbow factory, or one of Cheerilee's classes where they relayed the following message :"While the Pegasi of today are responsible for creation of rainbows, many moons ago it was actually the unicorns who were responsible for this" <- Doesn't even require more clarification than that. 

When i watched all of the prior Generations, i always saw them as one Universe and one Story that goes on and on.

In G1 the Ponys pretty much discover more and more of their Land, Spike gets introduced, the Flutter Ponys get introduced and it all started in their very own Castle. After they found more and more Friends, the Castle and their Land got to big and they had to build a whole Town, probably inspired by Megans Human World, they build a Town like in the Human World and move on to G 1.5. 

Maybe its in this Point of History, that in G 1.5, after the Castle got to small, that the Ponys had a fight with each other, maybe the flying ones and the unicorn ones didnt want to build a human like World and wanted to keep it traditional, so the flying ones lived in the clouds, the Earth Ponys stayed in their Town on the Ground and the Unicorns vanished to a different place, seperating the 3 Races. ( like it was shown in the History lesson in G4 i think, when they all had their own place ) Apparently they stayed seperated for so long, that the Earth Ponys only knew the other 2 Races as Legends until they appeared in a few Episodes.

This continues in Generation 2, where the Major Ponys are still Earth Ponys ( at least in the Game ) and can only go to different Places trough Rainbows. Even though its really far stretched, the Ponys in G2, even though when they appear to be Adults, they still arent able to talk or do tasks on their own really well and apparently needed a longer time to develop themselves. Maybe the seperation had a bad side effect, so that the Earth Ponys developed themselves back, since Magic doesnt help them anymore or maybe its the Wendigos ( i havent watched the History Episode of G4, but i think it was Wendigos that caused the Weather to change or something else) that took away their Power and feeded off their Lives, since they arent protected anymore by the others.

In the Game, the Ponys are controlled by the Player and even if that is a far stretched Theory again, maybe the Unicorns actually noticed that the Earth Ponys got weaker and felt the need to help them, so that the Person who gives the Ponys commands and makes sure they develop well, are maybe the Unicorns. The Ponys develop in a small place at the beginning, but later move on to a bigger Place by walking over a magical Rainbow Brigde. ( if i remember correctly. ) Maybe from this Point on, the Unicorns and Earth Ponys are connected again.

In G3, after the Earth ones and Unicorn ones are connected again, they have a more powerful Kingdom again, instead of a simple Human like Town, they have colorful Worlds that seemed to be formed by Magic, In this Generation, they also find the Pegasus Ponys back, who seemed to got lost on an Island. Maybe they also got weakend by the Wendigo or simply arent able to have a Town in the Clouds, without the help of Magic, to keep the Buildings floating.

So they find each other back and apparently get stronger, since in G3, there are less Villains than before, maybe now they finally understood what they had to do, to help each other and with the knowledge of Megans Human World, they manage to create a giant Kingdom where everyone has their Place and protects each other, so uniting the three Races.

G 3.5 doesnt really do much, except the Ponys get smaller and more thin, maybe the Ponys changed their own apparence with Magic, since being smaller maybe gives them more room to move or fight better in emergency situations, i dont know.

G 4 continues this, by having a smaller form than previous Generations, while also being higher then G 3.5, maybe its the best from for them. They also now have even more Kingdoms ( The Crystal Empire for example ) and they choosed Alicorns to be their Leader, since they combine all 3 Races and are probably the most powerful. ( not sure anymore if Alicorns already existed in previous Generations or if they were made from Magic in G4 or something ) And then the Story just continues with Friendship is Magic.

Even though all of that is really far stretched and just how i see the things. Also i think, a few years earlier, i couldve explained this better, not sure if i remember my own Theory correctly but i think it was like this.

Oh yeah, and G 4.5 ( Equestria Girls ) also connects them to the Human World again, after all those Years, maybe they broke up their Relationship to the Human World, after they saw how evil Humans can be and maybe that was the Reason, why the 2 other Races didnt wanted to stay with the Earth Ponys in G 1.5, because they didnt want to live in a Place inspired by the Humans.

But thats just a Theory, a Game/Movie/Series Theory, thanks for reading !

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

Considering the differences between each, I really don't see a possibility of them being linked in any way.

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2017 at 0:27 PM, Twilight Doll said:

When i watched all of the prior Generations, i always saw them as one Universe and one Story that goes on and on.

In G1 the Ponys pretty much discover more and more of their Land, Spike gets introduced, the Flutter Ponys get introduced and it all started in their very own Castle. After they found more and more Friends, the Castle and their Land got to big and they had to build a whole Town, probably inspired by Megans Human World, they build a Town like in the Human World and move on to G 1.5. 

Maybe its in this Point of History, that in G 1.5, after the Castle got to small, that the Ponys had a fight with each other, maybe the flying ones and the unicorn ones didnt want to build a human like World and wanted to keep it traditional, so the flying ones lived in the clouds, the Earth Ponys stayed in their Town on the Ground and the Unicorns vanished to a different place, seperating the 3 Races. ( like it was shown in the History lesson in G4 i think, when they all had their own place ) Apparently they stayed seperated for so long, that the Earth Ponys only knew the other 2 Races as Legends until they appeared in a few Episodes.

This continues in Generation 2, where the Major Ponys are still Earth Ponys ( at least in the Game ) and can only go to different Places trough Rainbows. Even though its really far stretched, the Ponys in G2, even though when they appear to be Adults, they still arent able to talk or do tasks on their own really well and apparently needed a longer time to develop themselves. Maybe the seperation had a bad side effect, so that the Earth Ponys developed themselves back, since Magic doesnt help them anymore or maybe its the Wendigos ( i havent watched the History Episode of G4, but i think it was Wendigos that caused the Weather to change or something else) that took away their Power and feeded off their Lives, since they arent protected anymore by the others.

In the Game, the Ponys are controlled by the Player and even if that is a far stretched Theory again, maybe the Unicorns actually noticed that the Earth Ponys got weaker and felt the need to help them, so that the Person who gives the Ponys commands and makes sure they develop well, are maybe the Unicorns. The Ponys develop in a small place at the beginning, but later move on to a bigger Place by walking over a magical Rainbow Brigde. ( if i remember correctly. ) Maybe from this Point on, the Unicorns and Earth Ponys are connected again.

In G3, after the Earth ones and Unicorn ones are connected again, they have a more powerful Kingdom again, instead of a simple Human like Town, they have colorful Worlds that seemed to be formed by Magic, In this Generation, they also find the Pegasus Ponys back, who seemed to got lost on an Island. Maybe they also got weakend by the Wendigo or simply arent able to have a Town in the Clouds, without the help of Magic, to keep the Buildings floating.

So they find each other back and apparently get stronger, since in G3, there are less Villains than before, maybe now they finally understood what they had to do, to help each other and with the knowledge of Megans Human World, they manage to create a giant Kingdom where everyone has their Place and protects each other, so uniting the three Races.

G 3.5 doesnt really do much, except the Ponys get smaller and more thin, maybe the Ponys changed their own apparence with Magic, since being smaller maybe gives them more room to move or fight better in emergency situations, i dont know.

G 4 continues this, by having a smaller form than previous Generations, while also being higher then G 3.5, maybe its the best from for them. They also now have even more Kingdoms ( The Crystal Empire for example ) and they choosed Alicorns to be their Leader, since they combine all 3 Races and are probably the most powerful. ( not sure anymore if Alicorns already existed in previous Generations or if they were made from Magic in G4 or something ) And then the Story just continues with Friendship is Magic.

Even though all of that is really far stretched and just how i see the things. Also i think, a few years earlier, i couldve explained this better, not sure if i remember my own Theory correctly but i think it was like this.

Oh yeah, and G 4.5 ( Equestria Girls ) also connects them to the Human World again, after all those Years, maybe they broke up their Relationship to the Human World, after they saw how evil Humans can be and maybe that was the Reason, why the 2 other Races didnt wanted to stay with the Earth Ponys in G 1.5, because they didnt want to live in a Place inspired by the Humans.

But thats just a Theory, a Game/Movie/Series Theory, thanks for reading !

Yeah, I'd like to think that that's what happened too, but I think the ponies go through evolution and the generations are different periods/eras in time like life on Earth did. Yeah, it's a stretch, but it's fun to believe that they are all connected in a time line in the same universe.

• Brohoof 1