Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

[tech] trouble using iPhone apps with Android virtual machine

Lenny

(edited)

So, I have an extra phones and came across a VR headset on eBay. These are the ones where you put your phone in and use it. I've gotten all the way to the point where I'm in a place I can see in VR, the only problem is I can't look around. My guess is iPhones use a different camera module altogether, but if y'all can can come up with a possible solution, I'm up for ideas.

(Not doing hardware changes, phones aren't my specialty)

Also, I'll tell you that directly installing an iPhone OS won't work, their hardware is vastly different.

Edited by Lenny

(edited)
14 hours ago, Jeric said:

Cider and iEMU not working for you? 

No, specifically with camera module issues. The camera works, but the original module software might of been tapped a few times. 

Edited by Lenny

I'm not quite sure about camera modules but don't phones use gyroscopes to turn in VR? Does your gyroscope work properly? I know older phones might not have them. 

• Brohoof 1

On 6/14/2017 at 8:45 PM, Coffee said:

I'm not quite sure about camera modules but don't phones use gyroscopes to turn in VR? Does your gyroscope work properly? I know older phones might not have them. 

Apple phones use gyroscopes for them, I guess that's why it supports them and not Android and I just answered myself. Dang. I wasted my money on a 20$ VR headset I can't even use. Unless, there is another app for them that is camera based, hmm.

• Brohoof 1

Hey @Lenny, the Site Questions & Tech Support forum is intended for technical assistance regarding forum matters. As such, your thread will be moved over to the Media Discussion forum. Have a good day :)

On 6/16/2017 at 11:35 PM, Lenny said:

Apple phones use gyroscopes for them, I guess that's why it supports them and not Android and I just answered myself. Dang. I wasted my money on a 20$ VR headset I can't even use. Unless, there is another app for them that is camera based, hmm.

No. Android too. This is how I call up an instance of the default gyroscope in an Android device. 

private SensorManager mSensorManager;
private Sensor mSensor;
mSensorManager = (SensorManager) getSystemService(Context.SENSOR_SERVICE);
mSensor = mSensorManager.getDefaultSensor(Sensor.TYPE_GYROSCOPE);

Most mid to flagship phones have a gyroscope and/or a magnetometer. Budget phones will usually get away with an accelerometer as the sensor, but not always. 

And yes, you did waste your money on a $20 VR experience, but that's just because it's a lackluster experience at that price point. 

(edited)
3 hours ago, Jeric said:

No. Android too. This is how I call up an instance of the default gyroscope in an Android device. 

Most mid to flagship phones have a gyroscope and/or a magnetometer. Budget phones will usually get away with an accelerometer as the sensor, but not always. 

And yes, you did waste your money on a $20 VR experience, but that's just because it's a lackluster experience at that price point. 

Privileges"

M8 I'm on a budget, I can't afford the Lamborghini you have. My phone might not have a gyroscope, cause I like fidgiting, and possibly change some hardware to make it fast  so yeah. No Lamborghini, no 9999$ gold plated VR all in one headset with 100kmAh battery, 4tb storage, 128gb ram, 10gb Vram, and other insane hardware specs for me

Edited by Lenny

20 minutes ago, Lenny said:

Privileges"

M8 I'm on a budget, I can't afford the Lamborghini you have. My phone might not have a gyroscope, cause I like fidgiting, and possibly change some hardware to make it fast  so yeah. No Lamborghini, no 9999$ gold plated VR all in one headset with 100kmAh battery, 4tb storage, 128gb ram, 10gb Vram, and other insane hardware specs for me

Whether of not one can afford better hardware does not make substandard hardware a worthwhile purchase. In your case, it's a paperweight. 

Also, no Lamborghini. Though I'm certain I probably funded one or two for my late wife's medical team. Her lead surgeon drove an Aston Martin. 

Gotta love that privilege. ;)

• Brohoof 1