Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Nintendo's E3 Spotlight 2017

K.Rool Addict

(edited)

The purpose of this thread is to discuss Nintendo's 25 minute E3 Spotlight event. Please try to keep conversation civil and posts mature (even though Nintendo is really testing it's long time fans' collective patience with this shit lmao)

^Ok, ok, ok. Where do I begin?

Well lets just say this, if it wasn't for ending the showing with Super Mario Odyssey gameplay, this would have been a 1/10 E3 presentation for me (keep in mind just how utterly disgusted I was at Sony's "5/10 conference", for reference.) -.-

I really do have to admit, that Super Mario Odyssey is looking more COMPLEX, AMBITIOUS, and just plain FUN than any 1st party Nintendo game released in at least 12 freaking years. So they have my approval of that ONE game.

Now, literally everything else in this presentation was complete and utter TRASH. They are now disgracing the Yoshi's Story legacy, just as they did with Yoshi's Island on the 3DS. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 looks like a MASSIVE step down from the immaculate Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Wii U; the gameplay of the former being extremely over simplified and streamlined (as usual with Nintendo's bullshit new age philosophy). Graphics also looked considerably worse than X which came out over 3 years ago in Japan. The Kirby game looked like complete rehash shovelware from the original Wii/ 3DS, disgusting that they would do such a thing to my childhood hero's series. Pokemon Switch not coming for a hella long time; no new info or even a trailer. All I can say is it BETTER be a new generation with graphics that take FULL advantage of the Switch's hardware. Fire Emblem Warriors looks like utter garbage. The graphics also look like garbage. UGH, boring character reveals as well (honestly Hyrule Warriors on Wii U looked better than this and that game wasn't even good enough to make me even consider purchasing it). Legend of Zelda DLC was complete garbage as expected. Very little disambiguation on the second DLC pack which is only adding insult to injury considering the first pack's lackluster nature. 

And lastly... perhaps the biggest most deplorable moment in the entire presentation: https://youtu.be/nFbDmTjS_MI?t=5s

10033c7f1ee848dcbdd9eb2c24c1a390f419a564

^The 4... The illustrious FOUR with strange, creepy, offputting, whilst still being somewhat "quirky" music playing in the background....

I was like, HOLY SHIT, is it POSSIBLY true? Could it actually be what i think it is!? MOTHER 4 !?!?!? And then... nothing but disappointment. Metroid may be a fan favorite among many other Nintendo fans, but I have always detested the franchise as a whole. It is simply not to my taste at all. ESPECIALLY the Prime spinoff...

So... what are your thoughts? I honestly feel so disgustingly violated by Nintendo atm, that I am unsure of what i should even do right now

Edited by K.Rool Addict

(edited)

@K.Rool Addict

You're already breaking your own post of keeping the topic civil by dismissing everything but Super Mario Odyssey as complete garbage! That is being very disrespectful to those of us who have been waiting for a real Metroid game in years. 

Besides the music in the reveal was so obviously Metriod Prime Music, not Mother. Mother 3 hasn't even been released in the west, so why would they even be announcing a Mother 4 to America?

Edited by WiiGuy2014
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

Nintendo's conference...passes. They didn't spend a lot of time on existing announced games. They didn't spend ANY time revealing or talking about Wii U ports. They didn't spend a whole lot of time of ARMS or Splatoon 2. They did reveal a number of new titles.

For me personally, there wasn't a lot here. I'm glad that Metroid fans get Metroid Prime 4. That's a megaton announcement. However, I don't care about Metroid. Yoshi and Kirby games are a dime-a-dozen. Eh. New Pokemon mainline title for the Switch is exciting news. However, it was just an announcement that it was being created, and nothing else. For all we know it could be another Sun/Moon rehash. I'd hope not. In fact, I'll be optimistic that it's not. I think if it was we would have already seen it.

As it stands, the Switch is still only about Super Mario Odyssey, with a vague Pokemon game further out.

Sad about no Animal Crossing. It really is about time to hear about a new one.

So I have to give this conference a passing grade. I'm pretty sure many people think it won E3. I can't really argue. However I still don't think it was the best E3 for Nintendo. It was pretty good, but not great.

No 3DS titles. Are we going to get anymore announcements?

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
13 minutes ago, K.Rool Addict said:

The purpose of this thread is to discuss Nintendo's 25 minute E3 Spotlight event. Please try to keep conversation civil and posts mature (even though Nintendo is really testing it's long time fans' collective patience with this shit lmao)

^Ok, ok, ok. Where do I begin?

Well lets just say this, if it wasn't for ending the showing with Super Mario Odyssey gameplay, this would have been a 1/10 E3 presentation for me (keep in mind just how utterly disgusted I was at Sony's "5/10 conference", for reference.) -.-

I really do have to admit, that Super Mario Odyssey is looking more COMPLEX, AMBITIOUS, and just plain FUN than any 1st party Nintendo game released in at least 12 freaking years. So they have my approval of that ONE game.

Now, literally everything else in this presentation was complete and utter TRASH. They are now disgracing the Yoshi's Story legacy, just as they did with Yoshi's Island on the 3DS. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 looks like a MASSIVE step down from the immaculate Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Wii U; the gameplay of the former being extremely over simplified and streamlined (as usual with Nintendo's bullshit new age philosophy). Graphics also looked considerably worse than X which came out over 3 years ago in Japan. The Kirby game looked like complete rehash shovelware from the original Wii/ 3DS, disgusting that they would do such a thing to my childhood hero's series. Pokemon Switch not coming for a hella long time; no new info or even a trailer. All I can say is it BETTER be a new generation with graphics that take FULL advantage of the Switch's hardware. Fire Emblem Warriors looks like utter garbage. The graphics also look like garbage. UGH, boring character reveals as well (honestly Hyrule Warriors on Wii U looked better than this and that game wasn't even good enough to make me even consider purchasing it). Legend of Zelda DLC was complete garbage as expected. Very little disambiguation on the second DLC pack which is only adding insult to injury considering the first pack's lackluster nature. 

And lastly... perhaps the biggest most deplorable moment in the entire presentation: https://youtu.be/nFbDmTjS_MI?t=5s

10033c7f1ee848dcbdd9eb2c24c1a390f419a564

^The 4... The illustrious FOUR with strange, creepy, offputting, whilst still being somewhat "quirky" music playing in the background....

I was like, HOLY SHIT, is it POSSIBLY true? Could it actually be what i think it is!? MOTHER 4 !?!?!? And then... nothing but disappointment. Metroid may be a fan favorite among many other Nintendo fans, but I have always detested the franchise as a whole. It is simply not to my taste at all. ESPECIALLY the Prime spinoff...

So... what are your thoughts? I honestly feel so disgustingly violated by Nintendo atm, that I am unsure of what i should even do right now

The creator of the Mother series said there won't be a 4th game. 

"Yoshi's Story legacy". What legacy? Yoshi's Island is objectively better in every way. 

I'm starting to think you're just trying to get a rise out of people at this point. You can't possibly be this hard to please.

Edited by VG_Addict
  • Brohoof 5

I actually have to disagree with the OP.

I may not think it was the best thing ever, but I felt that this was at least a decent spotlight for this year.

A main series Pokemon Game being announced for the Switch was pretty cool, Super Mario Odyssey is also looking really interesting, you can't go wrong with a new Kirby game, Xenoblade Chronicles is a pretty popular series, so having the second game get a released date is a good thing, and Metroid fans were finally rewarded for their patience by getting a 4th Prime game for the Switch as well as a remake of Metroid for the 3DS.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
2 hours ago, VG_Addict said:

The creator of the Mother series said there won't be a 4th game. 

^Can you provide a source for that please? I genuinely want to know if that claim is legit; it would certainly help mollify my potential disappointments of the future if i knew it plain and simply will never come to fruition.

"Yoshi's Story legacy". What legacy? Yoshi's Island is objectively better in every way. 

I agree. Yoshi's Island IS objectively better in every way. However, Yoshi's Story is a definite close second, when it comes to games within the Yoshi series. It was also the best 2.5 D platformer I think Nintendo has ever released :o . Of course that is all subjective (as is everything we discuss here lol), I just revelled in the amount of creativity and passion put into the gameplay, graphics, and incredibly funky/ creepy music xD 

This new Yoshi's Story sequel is a straight up insult to the N64 game though. They took a game with so much creativity and passion and turned into into and toddler pandering soulless cash grab -.- At least that was my impression of it. If Yoshi's Wooly World on Wii U or Yoshi's New Island on 3DS are anything to go by, this game will be a massive disappointment.

I'm starting to think you're just trying to get a rise out of people at this point. You can't possibly be this hard to please.

^I can assure you this is not the case. I merely call out bullshit when I see it. No company is above criticism as they all make mistakes, yet fanboys will stick by their favorite company no matter how lackluster their offerings are. This E3? Sony and Nintendo were the guilty parties. Maybe in future E3's Microsoft will be the one at fault (it certainly wouldn't be a first for their company). As you can see here: https://mlpforums.com/topic/167116-microsoft-e3-press-conference-2017/  I am far from impossible to please. Microsoft may have had a mediocre conference, but at least it was not a complete insult like the rest (including EA and Bethesda, btw).

Inb4 people accuse me of being an Xbox One fanboy despite the fact that I recently sold my freaking Xbone and have never liked ANY of their "exclusives" besides the ONE that they had the fucking GALL to cancel (Scalebound), and the one that was made by an ex Sony 2nd party developer (Sunset Overdrive). Forza Horizon 3 was really good too but I consider that more of a PC game tbh. All the shooters like Halo, Gears of War I couldn't give a damn about. Forza Motorsport sucks. Crackdown has always been trash. Sea of Thieves looks like crap. etc, etc, etc. I don't understand what you people want from me, tbh. It's like I need to just pretend "everything is A-OK" ALLL the time with every company... And if I ever express dissatisfaction with a single company's shortcomings while acknowledging another's triumphs, it makes me a "fanboy" of the latter corporation -.- 

2 hours ago, The Undefeated of the East said:

This just makes you sound really unpleasable

^Read above paragraph

2 hours ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

@K.Rool AddictThat is being very disrespectful to those of us who have been waiting for a real Metroid game in years. 

^I do not mean to be disrespectful to anyone who treasures the Metroid franchise as a whole. This is why I said the following in my OP:

2 hours ago, K.Rool Addict said:

Metroid may be a fan favorite among many other Nintendo fans, but I have always detested the franchise as a whole. It is simply not to my taste at all. ESPECIALLY the Prime spinoff...

^I am not telling fans that they are objectively wrong for having a fondness for the Metroid games, I am merely expressing my own opinion on the series. If you consider people voicing opinions that differ from your own to be "disrespectful" then I think you need to do some serious soul searching. No offense intended.

2 hours ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

Besides the music in the reveal was so obviously Metriod Prime Music, not Mother. Mother 3 hasn't even been released in the west, so why would they even be announcing a Mother 4 to America?

I beg to differ on the music. It sounded like something straight out of Mother 2. Had that "weird" vibe to it. I do not claim to be intimately familiar with Metroid music, but I have heard quite a few songs over the years playing Smash Bros on the N64, Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U and I have never once heard anything that had that "quirky weirdness" sound to it. :o 

Mother 3 has been out in Japan for over 10 years iirc. It's about time they make a new one (Nintendo usually caters more to their Japanese fanbase anyway, so why would it matter? Mother fans in the west would be ecstatic regardless). Unless, of course, what Vg Addict said was in fact true and the creator doesn't want to do it anymore.

Edited by K.Rool Addict

(edited)

@K.Rool Addict You can go about expressing your opinions in a better way, bub. How about starting by dropping the snarky attitude?

"And lastly... perhaps the biggest most deplorable moment in the entire presentation "

^extremely unnecessary.

Edited by Celli
  • Brohoof 2

The Mario & Luigi Superstar remake(?) is real, you all. They're going to talk about in Treehouse next!

• Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, Celli said:

@K.Rool Addict You can go about expressing your opinions in a better way, bub. How about starting by dropping the snarky attitude?

"And lastly... perhaps the biggest most deplorable moment in the entire presentation "

^extremely unnecessary.

^That moment was extremely emotionally painful to me. It was in every manner of speaking necessary.

I do not consider my attitude to be "snarky" in the least. I try to conduct myself in an intelligent and articulate manner whilst participating in topics like this and I do not intend this to be taken as snarky or condescending or whatever the extremely thin-skinned youths of today want to call it.

3 minutes ago, Envy said:

The Mario & Luigi Superstar remake(?) is real, you all. They're going to talk about in Treehouse next!

^Holy shit are you serious? Why the bloody hell didn't they put THAT in the damn spotlight? -.- Welp, g2g and watch this real quick. Smell ya'll later :P 

(edited)
5 minutes ago, K.Rool Addict said:

^That moment was extremely emotionally painful to me. It was in every manner of speaking necessary.

I do not consider my attitude to be "snarky" in the least. I try to conduct myself in an intelligent and articulate manner whilst participating in topics like this and I do not intend this to be taken as snarky or condescending or whatever the extremely thin-skinned youths of today want to call it.

^Holy shit are you serious? Why the bloody hell didn't they put THAT in the damn spotlight? -.- Welp, g2g and watch this real quick. Smell ya'll later :P 

Just because it was painful to you doesn't mean Nintendo is a terrible company for doing so. And it's the way you present your opinions. Adding xD to every negative thing you say makes you sound condescending.

Edited by Celli
  • Brohoof 2

Just now, VG_Addict said:

I can't believe Superstar Saga is old enough to be remade.

Well, Pokemon R/S were remade and they were released in 2002, shortly before Mario & Luigi.

Very happy to see they remade the OST. Nintendo seems to not think that they need to do that (*coughZeldacough*) and it really makes their 'remakes' and remasters less impactful. With a remade OST it feels so much better.

(edited)
22 minutes ago, Celli said:

Just because it was painful to you doesn't mean Nintendo is a terrible company for doing so. And it's the way you present your opinions. Adding xD to every negative thing you say makes you sound condescending.

How does an emoticon like "xD" translate to condescending? Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me. "xD" is the type of thing I'd see giddy anime fans spamming in Youtube comments sections back in like 2007... how exactly is that condescending? >.>

Well, my opinion would be they are indeed a terrible company (nowadays, anyway). If it is your opinion that they aren't then you are perfectly entitled to that opinion too; don't go telling me my opinion is "wrong" though. If Nintendo put the same creative passion and effort you see in games like Breath of the Wild or Super Mario Odyssey into ALL of their mainline franchises, I would agree that Nintendo is still great (even despite the graphics being lackluster). Gameplay is paramount; but Nintendo has proven to me time and time again that they prioritize simplifying gameplay for more "casual" experiences over making deep, rewarding, and immersive ones. The latest Zelda and Mario seem to be mere flukes at this point (I would LOVE to have Nintendo prove me wrong though).

Edited by K.Rool Addict

14 minutes ago, K.Rool Addict said:

How does an emoticon like "xD" translate to condescending? Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me. "xD" is the type of thing I'd see giddy anime fans spamming in Youtube comments sections back in like 2007... how exactly is that condescending? >.>

Well, my opinion would be they are indeed a terrible company (nowadays, anyway). If it is your opinion that they aren't then you are perfectly entitled to that opinion too; don't go telling me my opinion is "wrong" though. If Nintendo put the same creative passion and effort you see in games like Breath of the Wild or Super Mario Odyssey into ALL of their mainline franchises, I would agree that Nintendo is still great (even despite the graphics being lackluster). Gameplay is paramount; but Nintendo has proven to me time and time again that they prioritize simplifying gameplay for more "casual" experiences over making deep, rewarding, and immersive ones. The latest Zelda and Mario seem to be mere flukes at this point (I would LOVE to have Nintendo prove me wrong though).

Never said your opinion is wrong. I just don't like how you're presenting it.

11 minutes ago, Celli said:

Never said your opinion is wrong. I just don't like how you're presenting it.

That sounds like semantics to be honest. 

I am allowed to present my opinions however I want as long as it doesn't go against the rules stipulated on this forum. I do not take kindly to inhibition of freedom of speech, in any form :P 

1 hour ago, K.Rool Addict said:

That sounds like semantics to be honest. 

I am allowed to present my opinions however I want as long as it doesn't go against the rules stipulated on this forum. I do not take kindly to inhibition of freedom of speech, in any form :P 

Ehhhh

Fair enough I guess.

4 hours ago, K.Rool Addict said:

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 looks like a MASSIVE step down from the immaculate Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Wii U; the gameplay of the former being extremely over simplified and streamlined (as usual with Nintendo's bullshit new age philosophy). Graphics also looked considerably worse than X which came out over 3 years ago in Japan. 

https://youtu.be/NfGk6VMcJsw?t=1m38s

^Straight from the horse's mouth:

"The arts palette has been streamlined SIGNIFICANTLY now, so it's just using the four buttons on the right side of the Joycon controller"

/)^3^(\

I'll admit that it wasn't the best presentation Nintendo has had at E3 in recent years--I was expecting another crazy over the top session using a special partner like they did with Robot Chicken in 2014 and Jim Henson Productions in 2015--but I did enjoy most of the games that were presented. I wished that they could have gone into more detail--that was eventually handled in their Treehouse Events--but I'll take what I can get. Fire Emblem Warriors was definitely something that I'm looking forward to along with Super Mario Odyssey--who isn't at this point--and Splatoon 2--for personal reasons. The Metroid games... I'm on the fence about those and the remake for Superstar Saga... I can understand why they wanted to do that but a part of me feels nostalgic towards the original version. Xenoblade isn't on my radar and neither is that Mario + Rabbids crossover but kudos to any who look forward to them.

Well, to be honest, I've never watched any E3 presentation ever. I just wait for the announces >_>. Seriously, I can do more with the 4 hours it takes to watch it :scots:. ANYWAY, for what I care:

1-Super Mario Odyssey: Well well, looks like this is a REAL Mario game, a Mario with soul, love and care :squee:. What little shown feels like an adventure waiting to be discovered, just like the old times. Oh, Pauline, you're mayor, congrats :smug:

2-Metroid: Samus Return: Well, that explains why the fan remake was taken down so quickly :dash: . Well, I'm glad this is getting an official remake, as it's the Metroid that no one remembers. I just hope MercurySteam know what they're doing with it, but so far, I don't see they are changing the core formula. The most I've seen is special types of shots, a melee that seems to be for counterattacks, and finishing blows 

3-Super Star Saga remake: Oh my god, it seems the rumors where true. I'd loved that game back in the day, and the new campaign using the suckas whose asses you'd been kicking is welcome :fluttershy:

4-Metroid Prime 4: SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :squee:

10 hours ago, Envy said:

No 3DS titles. Are we going to get anymore announcements?

Well, we got the Super Star Saga remake, but also a Metroid 2 remake, that wasn't shown in the E3 from my understanding, but you it's available around youtube :fluttershy: (Ithink someone DERPed :muffins: )

9 hours ago, cmarston1 said:

I may not think it was the best thing ever, but I felt that this was at least a decent spotlight for this year.

Like I say: "If it ain't E3 2008, it's good enough" :fluttershy:

7 hours ago, K.Rool Addict said:

^Can you provide a source for that please? I genuinely want to know if that claim is legit; it would certainly help mollify my potential disappointments of the future if i knew it plain and simply will never come to fruition.

Can provide a single source because it's all over the internet. But yes, no new Mother game will be made, at least, not from Itoi

• Brohoof 2

12 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Well, we got the Super Star Saga remake, but also a Metroid 2 remake, that wasn't shown in the E3 from my understanding, but you it's available around youtube :fluttershy: (Ithink someone DERPed :muffins: )

My post was before the Treehouse. During Treehouse they revealed the Metroid and Superstar Saga remakes. No one made any mistakes, they just only revealed Switch games during the spotlight. I hope they have more new 3DS titles, but I don't know.

3 minutes ago, Envy said:

My post was before the Treehouse. During Treehouse they revealed the Metroid and Superstar Saga remakes. No one made any mistakes, they just only revealed Switch games during the spotlight. I hope they have more new 3DS titles, but I don't know.

I've just made a guess of whatever little I know about the showcase, as I don't watch those. Too long, prefer to see what they announced 

(edited)

They intentionally made the Spotlight Switch only, they really hammered how it was all about Switch

Kinda more telling with the Metroid games. I'd imaging people being pissed at Metroid game being developed for 3DS(which, thankfully is getting a lot of great press) rather than Switch if they didn't confirm MP4 was happening, 

Edited by The Undefeated of the East

A very solid showing by Nintendo. They basically hit every popular franchise they have and confirmed Switch games for it.

Mario Odyssey is looking more and more fun. It's weirdness and uniqueness is similar to Mario Sunshine, which is a very good thing. Very happy to see an October release instead of November.

METROID!!!! I freaked when I saw it. I usually don't like it when a game is announce and nothing is shown, but here it's understandable. Nintendo basically said "Here it is, Metroid is coming, so stop asking." Also Samus Returns looks so fun. I've been thinking about hanging up my 3DS for good, but guess that's not happening. I'm not too keen on older games, so I'm glad they're doing a re-telling/remake of Metroid 2.

Yay, a Kirby for a console! Kirby is always a blast to play.

Fire Emblem Warriors is looking good, and still on track for Fall? Sounds awesome to me.

Xenoblade is looking great too. I need to play the first one, but the graphics look like vomit, which makes it difficult for me to want to play. I'm loving the way 2 looks though. Sword waifu confirmed!

Year 1 for Switch is looking 10 times better now.

• Brohoof 3