Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Starlight Glimmer's Age

Photon Jet

(edited)

Hello everypony.

I've come up with an interesting theory when watching MLP. It's about one of my top best ponies, Starlight Glimmer. Brilliant character overall but a question remains in my mind. How old is she compared to the rest of the Mane cast? Could she possibly be older than the Princess of Friendship, Twilight Sparkle?

One clear example of this theory is back in the Season 5 premiere, The Cutie Map. When she was first introduced, she spoke in a benevolent tone like how a mother or a lady would sound...that is until later on in the episode. Basically, you can tell the age of a pony just by hearing her tone of voice.

Another clear example is after her redemption. In Every Little Thing She Does, Starlight demonstrated advanced magic in which Twilight didn't know at the start of the episode. That shows that depending on your age, the more knowledge you can obtain and I think Starlight has a lot of it when it comes to spells.

For me, I think Starlight Glimmer is older than the rest of the Mane cast after looking back on those episodes with the following reasons shown above.

But...despite everything, Starlight Glimmer's still a great character.

Edited by Photon Jet
  • Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, K.Rool Addict said:

Definitely older than Twilight. Just compare their voices o,o Starlight sounds like a middle aged woman  xD

By that logic Rarity should be the oldest since she sounds like the oldest to me. Could be my upbringing and the region I grew up in though.

Tabby and Kelly are the same age as I am, and Tara is a bit older. All three voice characters closer to their natural voice on the show. Hm. 

I tend to find the voice thing a bad measure of age in the show and in real life. Let's see .. 

@Batbrony and @PathfinderCS how old do you think I sound? Do I sound like I'm in my 40's?

In the end I can buy she is a touch older, but likely not by much. 

• Brohoof 6

Just now, Jeric said:

@Batbrony and @PathfinderCS how old do you think I sound? Do I sound like I'm in my 40's?

You sound somewhere between your 20's and 30's, maybe early 30's if I really pushed it.

(edited)
7 minutes ago, Jeric said:

By that logic Rarity should be the oldest since she sounds like the oldest to me. Could be my upbringing and the region I grew up in though.

Tabby and Kelly are the same age as I am, and Tara is a bit older. All three voice characters closer to their natural voice on the show. Hm. 

I don't go by the voice actresses, but by the voices they bring to the table. Tara, for example, has shown she is capable of doing very young sounding voices. But Starlight's voice within the show very clearly makes her seem significantly older than Twilight. My guess would be 5-15 years older :o 

Also, I always assumed Rarity WAS the oldest. She runs her own boutique (even since the start of the series). While Applekjack runs the Apple Farm, she at least gets a lot of help and morale support from her family. Whereas, Rarity has done pretty much all of it herself. If the rest of the Mane6 were around 20 in human years, Rarity would be 25 imho. Obviously the whole flashback to when they got their cutie marks simultaneously seems to disprove this... but still! >.<

Edited by K.Rool Addict
  • Brohoof 2

6 minutes ago, K.Rool Addict said:

I don't go by the voice actresses, but by the voices they bring to the table

I can tell you Kelly Sheridan sounds like Starlight in person. Tara is close since her normal voice is in that ballpark. 

But I can see Starlight being older. Sunburst sounds actually a bit older than Shining which also adds to that logic ... shit Starlight may be Cheerilee's age. 

• Brohoof 5

(edited)
4 minutes ago, Jeric said:

... shit Starlight may be Cheerilee's age. 

Very good comparison. I would say she and Cheerilee are like 1-2 years apart.

4 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Sunburst sounds actually a bit older than Shining which also adds to that logic 

Sunburst looks like an old ass man with that goatee xD

sunburst_by_anamaria0246-d9wrmpi.png

Edited by K.Rool Addict
  • Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Jeric said:

shit Starlight may be Cheerilee's age.

Not sure if this a burn or not..... :okiedokieloki:

Cheese_with_Berryshine_and_filly_Cheeril

butttt.... Cheerilee is shown around the same age as Pinkie in Pinkie Pride. Of course it is rather hard to tell how old they are unless you take wild guesses.

But I do think Starlight is a little older than Twilight.

• Brohoof 4

10 minutes ago, GrimGrimoire said:

Not sure if this a burn or not..... :okiedokieloki:

Cheese_with_Berryshine_and_filly_Cheeril

butttt.... Cheerilee is shown around the same age as Pinkie in Pinkie Pride. Of course it is rather hard to tell how old they are unless you take wild guesses.

But I do think Starlight is a little older than Twilight.

Completely forgot about that scene. I had Cheerilee maybe a little younger than Mayor Mare this whole time XD. 

Looks like Berry Punch may fit that bill better. I also have Fluttershy > Rarity > AJ > Twilight > Pinkie > and Rainbow in that order separated by just over a year from Fluttershy to RD since we know Fluttershy is a year older than Pinkie. The rest is completely speculation and assuming Fluttershy is the oldest due to her unique body type. 

I'd say that it isn't outside the realm of possibility that Starlight is older than the Mane Six, but she could fit within their age range toward the top. 

Also I would never besmirch Cheerilee. ;)

• Brohoof 2

There was a comic floating about, SGlimmer asking Twi' how old she was, then revealing she's 327.

And Twi' having a nervous break down.

Can't seem to find it though.

• Brohoof 2

Well, FiM are very vague with the ponies' ages. I wouldn't rely on the VAs actual ages nor if they use their natural voices on their characters as the voice it's not always concistent with age. Tara Strong natural voice sounds like a woman in her 20s, despite being twice as old herself. 

I do agree on the popular consensus here: Starlight is older than the Mane6. Sure, she sometimes doesn't show much maturity when she loses control, but she had that air of someone older when she was a villain. Mannerism, voice, intelligence.... something that's usually associated with older people. I think that the oldest Mane6 is in her mid 20s, but I think Starlight is in her late 20s if not early 30s. She still looks like a teen when crossing the portal, but that may be an art choice, as in real life, teens look hardly different than young adults, and a woman in her mid 20 and even early 30s dressing like Starlight is not unheard off  

• Brohoof 4

14 hours ago, Jeric said:

I think Fluttershy is the oldest and then Rarity. Looking to their personalily's

I believe Starlight is about the same age as Twilight, maybe slightly younger.

1 hour ago, Hierok said:

I think Fluttershy is the oldest and then Rarity. Looking to their personalily's

I believe Starlight is about the same age as Twilight, maybe slightly younger.

Same regarding Fluttershy and Rares. Mentioned that a little bit lower when I broke it down. 

1 hour ago, K.Rool Addict said:

^Can you elaborate a bit on this, pl0x 

They used a taller and thinner asset to depict her as a filly when compared to the others in Cutie Mark Chronicles. While that in and of itself doesn't mean oldest (my two kids are separated by 11 months and my youngest is taller), when coupled with the knowledge she is a year older than Pinkie, and that it's rare for fillies to be depicted differently, it fits. 

• Brohoof 3

11 minutes ago, Jeric said:

They used a taller and thinner asset to depict her as a filly when compared to the others in Cutie Mark Chronicles. While that in and of itself doesn't mean oldest (my two kids are separated by 11 months and my youngest is taller), when coupled with the knowledge she is a year older than Pinkie, and that it's rare for fillies to be depicted differently, it fits. 

Ah ok. I was under the impression you were referring to Yellowquiet as an adult xD

You know... speaking of FS's taller, thinner body type in Cutie Mark Chronicles... why haven't Applebloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo underwent this "transformation" yet? The series has spanned at least 4 years by my calculations (under the impression that the two winters in S5 were, in fact, the same winter), and the CMC have the exact same body types since the show's debut :o 

cbbf755e6d20443e946b8155912091f0f6b51746

Shouldn't they have, you know, GROWN a little bit >.>

• Brohoof 1

12 minutes ago, K.Rool Addict said:

Ah ok. I was under the impression you were referring to Yellowquiet as an adult xD

You know... speaking of FS's taller, thinner body type in Cutie Mark Chronicles... why haven't Applebloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo underwent this "transformation" yet? The series has spanned at least 4 years by my calculations (under the impression that the two winters in S5 were, in fact, the same winter), and the CMC have the exact same body types since the show's debut :o 

cbbf755e6d20443e946b8155912091f0f6b51746

Shouldn't they have, you know, GROWN a little bit >.>

Rarity also mentioned this season in Forever Filly  that they just finished winter so you can add another year in there too. XD

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Rarity also mentioned this season in Forever Filly  that they just finished winter so you can add another year in there too. XD

Lol, I still have yet to watch season 7. I'm waiting for all the episodes to be out so I can marathon them all at once! \(^o^)/

But still, why would the CMC not show any physical development in all these years? o.0 I mean, I understand the animators wanting people who got attached to these characters to not get upset over them looking "different" but there still should have been a difference, however slight to their height or overall body structure. :o 

• Brohoof 1

On 6/13/2017 at 11:22 AM, Photon Jet said:

Hello everypony.

I've come up with an interesting theory when watching MLP. It's about one of my top best ponies, Starlight Glimmer. Brilliant character overall but a question remains in my mind. How old is she compared to the rest of the Mane cast? Could she possibly be older than the Princess of Friendship, Twilight Sparkle?

One clear example of this theory is back the Season 5 premiere. The Cutie Map. When she was first introduced, she spoke in a benevolent tone like how a mother or a lady would sound...that is until later on in the episode. Basically, you can tell the age of a pony just by hearing her tone of voice.

Another clear example is after her redemption. In Every Little Bit She Does, Starlight demonstrated advanced magic in which Twilight didn't know at the start of the episode. That shows that depending on your age, the more knowledge you can obtain and I think Starlight has a lot of it when it comes to spells.

For me, I think Starlight Glimmer is older than the rest of the Mane cast after looking back on those episodes with the following reasons shown above.

But...despite everything, Starlight Glimmer's still a great character.

She might be five years older at the most. At this point the mane six are in their mid twenties, making Spike eighteen and Starlight Glimmer is either the same age as the mane six or slightly older. Meaning that she would be thirty when the mane six are twenty five or so. Though I feel like Starlight is pretty close in age too Twilight. Rainbow Dash performed a sonic rainboom when she was only a filly, so age doesn't have much too do with raw talent in this case.

• Brohoof 2

9 hours ago, K.Rool Addict said:

Lol, I still have yet to watch season 7. I'm waiting for all the episodes to be out so I can marathon them all at once! \(^o^)/

But still, why would the CMC not show any physical development in all these years? o.0 I mean, I understand the animators wanting people who got attached to these characters to not get upset over them looking "different" but there still should have been a difference, however slight to their height or overall body structure. :o 

Maybe the body structure is the same, but I think Sweetie is almost at the same size as Rarity as seen in Forever Filly :huh: 

• Brohoof 2

17 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Maybe the body structure is the same, but I think Sweetie is almost at the same size as Rarity as seen in Forever Filly :huh: 

No in the folloup for Forever Filly on Equstria Daily they did a comparison and Sweetie Belle is taller.

So here's how old I think the mane six and Spike are in the current season.

Twilight Sparkle:24

Pinkie Pie:24 

Rainbow Dash:22

Fluttershy:25

Rarity:27

Applejack:27

Spike:17

I feel like Rarity and Applejack would have too be at least slightly older since their the only ones at the start too have their own bussnus. And Pinkie Pie and Twilight seem close in age since Twilight was supposed too be a college age student at the begging. We also know that Fluttershy is a year older than Pinkie Pie, and Rainbow Dash has the youngest parents. Which I think mayve five or so years have passed since the start of the show. Which would make her seventeen in season one. Which is old enough for her too still have a job but not so old that she wouldn't try her crazy shenanigans. Also Twilight is at least eight or so years older than Spike, which would make him seventeen in the current season(I said eight or so years).

I think that would make it more resonable for Starlight too be in her early thirties. Though I am curious how old that'd make Trixie. I feel like Trixie was at least a few years younger than Twilight, or at the least the same age as her. So maybe Trixie is like between 21 and 24? I guess Starlight likes dating younger mares(Because she would be at least ten too fifteen years older).

30 minutes ago, Tilgoreth said:

No in the folloup for Forever Filly on Equstria Daily they did a comparison and Sweetie Belle is taller.

So here's how old I think the mane six and Spike are in the current season.

Twilight Sparkle:24

Pinkie Pie:24 

Rainbow Dash:22

Fluttershy:25

Rarity:27

Applejack:27

Spike:17

I feel like Rarity and Applejack would have too be at least slightly older since their the only ones at the start too have their own bussnus. And Pinkie Pie and Twilight seem close in age since Twilight was supposed too be a college age student at the begging. We also know that Fluttershy is a year older than Pinkie Pie, and Rainbow Dash has the youngest parents. Which I think mayve five or so years have passed since the start of the show. Which would make her seventeen in season one. Which is old enough for her too still have a job but not so old that she wouldn't try her crazy shenanigans. Also Twilight is at least eight or so years older than Spike, which would make him seventeen in the current season(I said eight or so years).

I think that would make it more resonable for Starlight too be in her early thirties. Though I am curious how old that'd make Trixie. I feel like Trixie was at least a few years younger than Twilight, or at the least the same age as her. So maybe Trixie is like between 21 and 24? I guess Starlight likes dating younger mares(Because she would be at least ten too fifteen years older).

I don't think Trix is much older than the Mane6, y think she'd be about as old as the oldest Mane6, whoever that'd be :huh: . 

• Brohoof 2

6 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

I don't think Trix is much older than the Mane6, y think she'd be about as old as the oldest Mane6, whoever that'd be :huh: . 

I guess that would make her twenty seven. But I feel like she was younger than Twilight just because of her immaturity. Then again their are immature adults. It just feels weird if say a twenty six year old woman got angry that a bunch of teenagers and young adults heckled her.

On 6/13/2017 at 6:22 PM, The_Gobo said:

There was a comic floating about, SGlimmer asking Twi' how old she was, then revealing she's 327.

And Twi' having a nervous break down.

Can't seem to find it though.

Did you mean this: 

Starlight's Birthday

Just now, Tilgoreth said:

I guess that would make her twenty seven. But I feel like she was younger than Twilight just because of her immaturity. Then again their are immature adults. It just feels weird if say a twenty six year old woman got angry that a bunch of teenagers and young adults heckled her.

Did you mean this: 

Starlight's Birthday

Starlight being really old is a nice joke, but it obviously doesn't fit within the time frame of her backstory.

• Brohoof 2