Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

RedStar2017

Given that we've yet to hit mid-season line yet, I would say this season would be about a 7.5/10. So far there have been a few lackluster episodes, but for the most part it's still been pretty good with no major flops just yet. Plus my long held prayers for both a good Celestia episode and a Royal Sisters episode have finally been answered, so that's a big point in this season's favor. 

(edited)

Like any other season, it has some good and some bad.

In order from best to worst, good episodes are in bold, mediocre in normal, bad in italic underline:

1. Parental Glideance
  2. All Bottled Up
  3. A Flurry of Emotions
  4. Celestial Advice
  5. Not Asking for Trouble
  6. Rock Solid Friendship
  7. Forever Filly
  8. Fluttershy Leans In
  9. A Royal Problem
  10. Honest Apple
  11. Hard to Say Anything

Glideance is one of the six best episodes of the entire show. On the other hand, Honest and Hard are awful, but not awful enough to reach probably the bottom 15. Bottom 20? Maybe.

What did it do right?

1. Starlight. Inconsistent characterization quality last season, but the most consistent and best written out of the entire Mane Eight. Not once is she out of character or unlikeable. She still has to settle her reliance on magic to solve problems, but they're addressed in much better ways that don't degrade her. All Bottled Up is a much better version of Every Little Thing by having her bottle up her anger as a last resort.
  2. Rainbow Dash. Her characterization last season was a complete mess, but they improved on that tremendously in her only mane appearance.
  3. When one-shot or new characters are well written, they're very well written. Spearhead cleverly subverts a very ageist stereotype of modern art and modern artists by welcoming people's interpretations and emotional responses to his abstract sculptures and paintings. Windy Whistles and Bow Hothoof play the "embarrassing parent" trope in a way that keeps them VERY endearing and very real.
  4. Flurry Heart shows signs of personality and intelligence, yet never forgets the fact that she's still a baby.
  5. Celestia's characterization is really good…in Celestial Advice. She's still the Princess of the Sun, but retains qualities that make her feel more human.
  6. None of the actual morals in the episode are terrible to teach at this point. Each season has a bad moral in some way, but none of them cross that line yet. The closest it came was when the princesses told Starlight her decision to swap their talents without asking was the right move, but I don't know if that's a secondary moral they were truly teaching or not.

What went wrong?

1. Applejack in Honest is her worst characterization to date. She bears the Element of Honesty because she tells the truth while still caring about others' feelings. Here, she went from caring to vindictive and callous, even gaining some enjoyment in the destruction of hard-work fashion.
  2. Big Mac and the CMCs are equally atrocious in Hard with their worst characterizations in the series, too. Big Mac for following through on the CMCs' schemes to woo Sugar Belle. (Mac, sexual harassment isn't funny!) The CMCs for literally believing that fairy tales are how-to guidebooks.
  3. Celestia was great in Advice, the same can't be said in A Royal Problem. She and Luna are out of character here. Is it fine for them to bicker as sisters? Totally. But their bickering crossed the line into being personal attacks; each of them treated each other's important roles in Equestrian society as not just pointless, but wasteful, too. On top of that, they never understood that THEY were the friendship problem until Starlight told them directly to their faces, and even then, they were still too dumb to get it till later. (Seriously, Snips and Snails are smarter than them here!)

When did they finally get it? When they witness Starlight's heartbreaking nightmare. (Them telling her she did the right thing all along not only suggests that transferring their talents against their will was a good idea, but also treats Starlight's emotional pain as an afterthought.) Their lack of appreciation for one another makes no sense, since Luna feeling jealous of her sister and lack of appreciation are why she turned into NMM in the first place. You'd think at their age, they'd figure something out. Their complete incompetence completely kills the episode.
  4. When new characters are poorly written, they're poorly written. Hard Hat, Wrangler, and Dandy are one-note, flat antagonists who deliberately went behind Fluttershy's back to deliver their own vision of the sanctuary. Feather Bangs is a dated, half-dimensional, lazy parody of teenager!Bieber. Lily Lace is a stereotypical valley girl. Strawberry Sunrise is an unlikeable bitch (and in that scene, Rarity's expression and taunt after their fight suggest she predicted this fight, an implication of anger-inducing spite).

Nevertheless, there's quite a bit of good here, and it's not a bad season so far by any means. If I were to order seasons one through to six from best to worst, they're like this:

1. Season 5
  2. Season 2
  3. Season 1
  4. Season 4
  5. Season 3
  6. Season 6

Currently, I have Season 7 in between 1 and 4. To score it, probably a 7.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 2

By this point I've already have had so many issues with Season 6. S7 on the other hand, Honest Apple is really the only episode I've disliked.

S7 has also had tons of episodes that could've gone so wrong, only to end up being fantastic(Flurry of Emotions, Parental Glidance, A Royal Problem). It even got me to like the fucking Yaks, which I didn't think was possible

If S7 keeps it up, it could easily be one of my favorite seasons

1quqb3.jpg

I want to go higher, bit I'm probably at a solid 8. One horrible episode a few middling and few above average ones, and a handful that nailed it. So far this season feels a little personal with its stronger entries. The family focus this season is also making it feel personal and relatable. We have strong episodes focused on a relationships with a mentor, a niece, parents, and sibling bonds. 

In two episodes they may well have a mic drop. All I know is this is the only season I've actually been inspired to consider doing anything in the content creation category ... something my kids and I can do. ;)

This is so gonna happen once we complete the parents arc. 

Yeah a solid 8, with the potential to go higher. 

its a 9 for me, im honestly loving the new season :D

my least favourite episode is honest apple. because there is a fine line between being honest, and just being inconsiderate. :wat: 

Four out of ten. 

This is the third of this kind of thread I've posted in, so refer to my blog post on the subject for details. Basically, I just don't like any of these episodes; I think I actively enjoyed 4 of the 11 aired so far, and admired one more from a distance. I'll change my tune entirely if the quality suddenly becomes much higher in later episodes, but first we'd need less stiff, forced plotting, as well as some big improvements on the Starlight front.

I know this isn't a popular opinion around these parts, but I thought season 6 was a massive improvement over the increasing stagnation of the two seasons before. It was more relaxed, it had a lot of genuinely fresh ideas, and it worked comfortably within its own limitations. I don't feel like season 7 has that freshness, and it's certainly not relaxed. It's just... not very fun, to my eyes, and I find it feels obligatory more often like not, like the writers are doing what they feel they need to do rather than what comes naturally. I just find it dull.  

(edited)

I don't know how I'd rate it, but in my opinion, it's okay. For me, it's pretty much on the same level as the second half of season 6, where I still like it, but I don't get as much enjoyment out of the show as I used to.

Edited by PinkiePie97
  • Brohoof 1

the premiere was awful - ie. NOTHING HAPPENED!

but the episodes have been better than we saw in S6 so far. Except for 2..... Fluttershy's episode and the Yak one. UGH. I really loved Rainbow's parents episode though. 

Oh my god, if the second half of the season is as awesome as this half, they we got the first great season in years :fluttershy:. GOD, I WASN'T EXPECTING MUCH OF TODAY'S AUSTRALIAN RELEASE EPISODE, AND IT WAS HILARIOUS :yay: 

Season 7 WOULD be great if Canada didn't jumped the bandwagon and stayed on schedule like in the US. Instead, they chose to release episodes too early on their own terms which increases the likelihood of spoilers and even creating a rift to other viewers who have not watched it yet and would rather maintain a healthy schedule instead of jumping the gun. :dry:

14 minutes ago, Jon the Bronynerd said:

Season 7 WOULD be great if Canada didn't jumped the bandwagon and stayed on schedule like in the US. Instead, they chose to release episodes too early on their own terms which increases the likelihood of spoilers and even creating a rift to other viewers who have not watched it yet and would rather maintain a healthy schedule instead of jumping the gun. :dry:

That's why it's wise to watch the episodes as soon as they are released to avoid the spoilers :D

31 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

That's why it's wise to watch the episodes as soon as they are released to avoid the spoilers :D

Or I could just stay on schedule like everyone else by waiting until Saturday to watch it and not jump the bandwagon like Canada did. :okiedokieloki:

9 hours ago, Jon the Bronynerd said:

Or I could just stay on schedule like everyone else by waiting until Saturday to watch it and not jump the bandwagon like Canada did. :okiedokieloki:

And having no choice but to stop using internet because spoilers galore? I pass, thank you :icwudt:

(edited)

To sum up : average.

Celestial Advice : Really cool episode. A good way to start the season and to deal with the aftermath of last season finale. Good performance for Celestia.

All Bottled Up : Another good episode. The Trixie/Starlight duo was on point. The Mane 6 story amusing. The writters kinda jump the shark there with the map vanishing because of Trixie but I allow it because it bringed a cool episode overall.

A Flurry of Emotion : A good episode with a pretty good moral. Twillight and Spike were really on point. Pinkie too. It was also a good performance for Shining and Cadance who don't usually have much screentimes, but this episode helped me to considerate their couple as something more real than just a plot point and to show some chemistry between the two lovers.

Rock Solid Friendship : I liked Maud and Starlight, and the relation between the two. But Pinkie was written really badly (even in the intro she was starting to get on my nerve) and so as a Pinkie fan it was very distracting and annoying to see her so oblivious and annoying during all of this. Some of her jokes worked thought like the one with the harp so it still is in the meh zone.

Fluttershy Leans In : Boring episode. Weak conflict. Weak characters. Weak idea to begin with. Nothing awful but... I don't see me rewatching it any time soon.

Forever Filly : A boring episode all in all. The idea of two stories leading to the same idea was good but... none of them were interresting in the slightest. Some dumb scenes too, like the little ice cream thingy... which is just a ridiculous concept (I don't see any filly being content with this amount). The episode was just repeating the same thing again and again : "Sweetie is obliviously too old/The dog don't like playing now" so... yeah... not awfully bad but not average neither. Just a bad episode.

Parental Glideance : It could have been a good episode. Some good things : we finaly saw Rainbow's parents and Scootaloo talking about her parents and why we never saw them... to name a few. But this episode was butchered by Rainbow's parents in the first place, they were too annoying for my taste (maybe the fact what I have overbearing and supportive parents a bit like RD played in the fact that it was hardly watchable for me since I put myself in her hoofs easily) and even a bit dangerous with the fireworks for example. And the thing which put this episode in the meh zone is the ending which gave a bland moral and worst of all didn't aknowledge at all that in this conflict the two sides were both right and wrong, and not just let the parents go a freebie to do again whatever they want in spite of how embarassing or even dangerous it could be.

Hard To Say Anything : Just a bad episode. Bad concept in the first place. Really weird scenes like the kissing scene. And even the relationship between Big Mac and Sugar Bell come out of nowhere since we didn't see the two of them interract that much. Saying that two characters are in love isn't enough for me. Making hearts appear in their eyes or all around them either. I can't even think of them as a couple right now in fact since I saw so little about them as a couple.

Honest Apple : I don't know what to say for this one. Rarity playing guitar was the highlight of the episode... that's saying something since this scene wasn't really well animated or funny in the first place. A good moral but the concept in itself is pretty ridiculous in the first place with AJ judging clothes. The characters were bland, the pacing just slow. Photo Finish was the only thing saving this episode from the abyss in my opnion.

A Royal Problem : The only problem with this episode it's is pacing since there was too much to tell in so little time. It was nice to see another side of Celestia and Luna (well to dig a bit in the side we saw in Slice of Life in fact). It's pretty much a given what people don't act the same way with different people. We always saw Celestia in public or in front of Twillight so doing her best to give positive image of her, but between the two sisters it's normal that we saw something else, especially since we know that the two sisters already fight in the past so their relation was far from perfect even then. But it also show us how deep down they love each other even if at the same time they appear to hate each other. It was a nice episode even without the apparition of Daybreak which was the cherry on top.

Not Asking for trouble : Meh episode. Weird moral. Bland story. What make this story stand up as an average episode and not a bad one is the comedy : the Yak prince was funny, Pinkie was sweet, loveable and her antics were perfect... and it was an enjoyable ride thanks to theses characters.

Spoiler

Discordant Harmony : Discord was on point. Flutter also. It was a good episode to display the relationship between the two and how much they count for one another. But the pacing was a bit weird (too slow to introduce the real drama and too fast to actually resolve it).

The Perfect Pear : A good episode which tied nicely a lot of things. First we finally saw how were AJ's parents. Secondly it allowed some secundary ponies to get some spotlight and it was nice to see what they also played a part in this story. Thirdly it was also a great showcase for AJ, Apple Boom and Big Mac. The plot in itself was simple but worked even if the pacing was a bit weird at the end. But all in all it was a good episode.

So if we take that into account I really enjoyed 5 episodes so far, found 5 episodes just average and 3 episodes really bad. None of the episode were as awfully bad as AJ Day Off or Kart before the Ponies... but none of them were as good as Do Princess Dream about sheep either... It's just an average season for me, a bit less interresting than the previous one, or season 5, or even season 4 ^^

Edited by Zel
  • Brohoof 1