Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

For being a show about friendship, Cadance sure is under-utilized

ManaMinori

Oh, the irony.

I have always found it baffling that the premise of the entire show is "friendship, but yet here we have a pony who is the literal embodiment of "refined" friendship- love, and, at the same time- a married mare- marriage being the closest form of friendship one can have with another person (or pony)- being such a bland, flawless Mary Sue of a character, and SO under-utilized on top of it. Of course, the mane 7 (+ Spike) are going to get primary attention, because they're the show's foundation, but heck, even the CC have more characterization that this pony- who- again, is THE ultimate personification of the concept of friendship! So....why is Cadance so under-utilized, and still a generic "pretty princess" character with virtually NO flaws to speak of? How can she work with/ and/ or enhance the friendships of the pony6, if possible? With the CMC? (why haven't we got an episode with Cadance and the CMC, in fact?) How can marriage- as the ultimate form of friendship still be used in enhancing non-romantic/ platonic friendships?

It's not just Cadance who has been under-utilized. A lot of characters have been thrown under the proverbial bus as a result of there being too many of them in the first place, and this results in some getting favoured above others.

• Brohoof 3

Show about friendship? Why this is a show about toys, and our little Cadence has outlived her usefulness. Oblivion takes all.

Though, don't get me wrong. In my eyes, I do perceive her both as a lost opportunity and as potentially useful.

• Brohoof 2

Problem with Cadance, is that her status as a more classical Disney princess has been an obstacle to be an more than that. She's not a character that can stand on her legs by herself, so she relies on others for it. I don't think the writers will bother to change that

On 6/13/2017 at 11:52 PM, Nightmare Muffin said:

with virtually NO flaws to speak of?

Because she's so under-utilized. She has yet to have any conflicts which meaningfully affect her. 

I don't think there's any shortage of ideas here, but they just... don't want to use her much. Official material outside the show keeps adding interesting parts to her personality, and while I actually quite like her inhuman sweetness, I would be even happier if we were given more of an impression of just some of her insecurities, hobbies, flaws. We got two Celestia episodes this season, so fingers crossed, but I haven't seen anything in the announced synopses. 

On 6/13/2017 at 11:52 PM, Nightmare Muffin said:

How can marriage- as the ultimate form of friendship still be used in enhancing non-romantic/ platonic friendships?

I think "love" and "friendship" aren't necessarily the same kind of emotion or relationship, so I'm not sure that much can be made of this. 

45 minutes ago, A.V. said:

Her role in Three's A Crowd was actually underrated, IMO.

That was her at her best so far, but is not enough because they've only expanded her already established love for Twi. If they could play something more of herself, more personal, that'd be great 

12 hours ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Because she's so under-utilized. She has yet to have any conflicts which meaningfully affect her. 

I don't think there's any shortage of ideas here, but they just... don't want to use her much. Official material outside the show keeps adding interesting parts to her personality, and while I actually quite like her inhuman sweetness, I would be even happier if we were given more of an impression of just some of her insecurities, hobbies, flaws. We got two Celestia episodes this season, so fingers crossed, but I haven't seen anything in the announced synopses. 

I think "love" and "friendship" aren't necessarily the same kind of emotion or relationship, so I'm not sure that much can be made of this. 

I dunno, only her relationships with other characters have been played with her. But who know if something more personal will be used. They've found a winning formula with Starlight, we explored Celestia, Maud is secretly a woobie, THEY'VE EVEN GAVE A BIT OF PERSONALITY TO MCFLURRY, so maybe Cadance may shine on her own one day  

1 hour ago, Steve Piranha said:

I dunno, only her relationships with other characters have been played with her. But who know if something more personal will be used. They've found a winning formula with Starlight, we explored Celestia, Maud is secretly a woobie, THEY'VE EVEN GAVE A BIT OF PERSONALITY TO MCFLURRY, so maybe Cadance may shine on her own one day  

I worry that Flurry Heart will limit what Cadance and Shining Armour can do in the show, because they'll need to devote a lot of time to taking care of the child. We did get an episode recently which gave her a solid supporting role, and considering what you've mentioned (though I disagree that Starlight's formula is "winning"), I'm still hoping for something else, eventually, because I like her a fair bit. 

• Brohoof 1