Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is it wrong that I like Starlight for having nervous breakdowns?

SaburoDaimando

I mean, call me crazy when it comes to Starlight Glimmer.  But it seems it's rather fascinating to see STarlight go from normal to tear-filled in almost an instant.

Two examples:

No Second Prances when Trixie bragged to Twilight about beating her to befriending Starlight

A Royal Problem, when she blamed herself for her own nightmare

What do you guys think?  Your thoughts on Starlight's nervous breakdowns as a character?  And on another note, you know who else is also an interesting character when she has a nervous breakdown?  Pinkie Pie.

• Brohoof 2

I definitely like seeing it. She's so freaking overpowered with her crazy magical potential that hardly any threat can give her much issue. But her own mind is her biggest enemy. After enslaving that village for countless years, her (self inflicted) mental preconditioning was forcibly changed by Twilight Sparkle. Now she struggles to function normally as the trauma from all those years has greatly affected her. It is very nice to see writers of a "kids show" putting in so much effort to making her an interesting 3 dimensional character =^-^=

• Brohoof 5

Nothing wrong with it. It is basically one of the few actual flaws that her character has and that can make her seem far more realistic from a personality standpoint. Plus relatable if one suffers form the same issues. As bad as nervous breakdowns can be, I actually kinda like seeing them from her too, only because it makes her character have much more depth than just 'Hey guys! I am the magical super powerful magic magic-inator!', which in turn makes me like her more.

• Brohoof 4

On 6/14/2017 at 10:33 AM, Kyoshi said:

Nothing wrong with it. It is basically one of the few actual flaws that her character has and that can make her seem far more realistic from a personality standpoint. Plus relatable if one suffers form the same issues. As bad as nervous breakdowns can be, I actually kinda like seeing them from her too, only because it makes her character have much more depth than just 'Hey guys! I am the magical super powerful magic magic-inator!', which in turn makes me like her more.

At least that makes her less of a Mary Sue.

• Brohoof 1

> walks in nonchalantly

You know, I haven't really analyzed why I tend to gravitate to this trait, but it's a recurring theme for me to enjoy the hell out of characters that are either neurotic, or have considerable moments where they breakdown. 

My favorite character in this show is known for her overly dramatic nature. 

Spoiler

full.gif

And Starlight showing every emotion in under 10 seconds.

Spoiler

medium.gif

Probably why she is currently battling it out with AJ for the number 2 spot. 

I could go on and on about the pony characters in general, but Starlight's breakdowns are not just relatable on its own. She also has this tendency to be salty, defeated, and inspirational in her personal struggles. She may actually be the most realistic character on the show because of the depth that she has been given. Her breakdowns tend to be more personal, with fewer overreactions. We see freakouts and breakdowns used for comedic effect with other characters (Twilight, Pinkie, Rarity). With Starlight ... it seems deeper. 

13 hours ago, Jeric said:

With Starlight ... it seems deeper. 

I remember when i said something about Starlight is not a character belong to this series, she should belong to some anime or any mature theme relate series... in some random thread about Starlight... ;)

On 6/16/2017 at 10:27 AM, Lambdadelta said:

I remember when i said something about Starlight is not a character belong to this series, she should belong to some anime or any mature theme relate series... in some random thread about Starlight... ;)

Yeah, but I've seen characters go under similar breakdowns.  Pinkie Pie being the obvious example.

I think it's rather relatable more than interesting...She's a good character with plenty of realistic emotions for an anxious person to be having. Gotta relate to it.