Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who's considered a 'main character'?

FlareGun45

(edited)

The Mane Six were ALWAYS main characters of the show, there's no doubt about that! But then we have Spike who is considered a main character by the staff, and the CMCs and Starlight are in the supporting characters category. I find this to be rather odd with each part these characters play.

Spike is considered a main character, regardless of not having an Element of Harmony, and not being called by the Cutie Map. Every episode where he's the starring role so far, Twilight always appears, regardless of Twilight having at least one without him (No Second Prances). Also unlike the rest of the main cast, Spike doesn't share many episodes with another main character. Plus, he usually has less starring roles per season than any of the Mane Six, AND even supporting characters like the CMCs and Starlight have more than him. Also, Spike wasn't treated that serious before season 6, and has the fewest amount of songs than even certain supporting characters.

Now the CMCs, they get a ton of episodes on their own and a ton of songs. Starlight's been getting a ton of episodes and she was even called by the Cutie Map once! She was even a season hero in the previous season! Now all this is making me question who's considered a main character or not. It's either Starlight and the CMCs did enough stuff for them to be considered main characters, or Spike should be considered a supporting character since side characters seem to be doing more than him. Now I'm not complaining that Spike isn't doing anything, he is doing stuff now! 

It's just that, we already got summaries up to episode 23 this season, and yet Spike only has just 1 episode so far just like in season 5, even though there are certain characters like the CMCs who have 5 this season!

So pretty much who's considered a main character or not in most TV media is who does the most stuff; and if supporting characters are outshining the main characters, then perhaps supporting characters should be considered main characters, or certain main characters who has supporting characters outshining them on a regular bases should be considered supporting characters.

Edited by MegaSean45
  • Brohoof 1

The Cutie Mark Crusaders certainly did not get as much as episode appearances as the Mane Six since Season 1, and the same for Starlight since Season 5, so they're all still secondary.

Spike, however, is the main male character, seeing as though he's gotten as much episode appearances as Fluttershy.

I mean Fluttershy is a main character and she only got like 2 episodes in season 5 where she was a main focus, so it's not like the very little attention Spike is getting this season doesn't make him a main character.

Twilight seem to have less appearances this season in contrast to previous so maybe the show is stepping away from her being the main character and the show is focusing on Starlight being the new main character in the future.

3 hours ago, cmarston1 said:

I mean Fluttershy is a main character and she only got like 2 episodes in season 5 where she was a main focus, so it's not like the very little attention Spike is getting this season doesn't make him a main character.

Uh, I think you forgot Make New Friends But Keep Discord, she learned part of the friendship lesson in that episode. Also keep in mind that Fluttershy had 2 episodes in Season 2 as well.

And I'm sure Applejack only had one or two in that season as well, and so did Rarity, and they're main characters as well.

2 hours ago, AJFan89 said:

Twilight seem to have less appearances this season in contrast to previous so maybe the show is stepping away from her being the main character and the show is focusing on Starlight being the new main character in the future.

But also don't forget, she's still in a high position for most dialogue in Season 7 after 11 episodes.

At which point does an ensemble show consider characters promoted to main character status from supporting roles? Is FiM an ensemble focused show? If so does screen time equality override plot importance? What is an acceptable screen time variance between main character and supporting character?

Depending on how you answer those questions will inform you answer to what the OP posed. It's an open question with widely different interpretations. Basically, there is no correct answer here. 

Basically, I'm having a hard time completely disputing that Spike, the CMC, and Starlight are not part of the same ensemble at this point. At the same time, it's just as problematic accepting that it's a Mane 11 wholesale. 

• Brohoof 2

26 minutes ago, Jeric said:

At which point does an ensemble show consider characters promoted to main character status from supporting roles? Is FiM an ensemble focused show? If so does screen time equality override plot importance? What is an acceptable screen time variance between main character and supporting character?

Depending on how you answer those questions will inform you answer to what the OP posed. It's an open question with widely different interpretations. Basically, there is no correct answer here. 

Basically, I'm having a hard time completely disputing that Spike, the CMC, and Starlight are not part of the same ensemble at this point. At the same time, it's just as problematic accepting that it's a Mane 11 wholesale. 

I like to consider the Mane Six the main characters; Spike, CMCs, Starlight, Big Mac, and Discord as main supporting characters; then we have characters like Coco, Sassy, Zecora, Ember, and Thorax as secondary supporting characters.

• Brohoof 1

The mane 6 are absolutely main characters. I feel starlight is now becoming a main focus of the series as well, so we can consider her one as well.  Characters like the CMC, Discord and Trixie are the main supporting characters, as we've seen them more than any really. The others (Zecora, Ember, Throax, and etc) are the secondary supporting characters, which we see on a more time to time basis.

49 minutes ago, Penguinbrony24 said:

The mane 6 are absolutely main characters. I feel starlight is now becoming a main focus of the series as well, so we can consider her one as well.  Characters like the CMC, Discord and Trixie are the main supporting characters, as we've seen them more than any really. The others (Zecora, Ember, Throax, and etc) are the secondary supporting characters, which we see on a more time to time basis.

I JUST said that! :P Only difference is, you put in Trixie, and left out Spike and Big Mac!

• Brohoof 1

18 hours ago, MegaSean45 said:

The Mane Six were ALWAYS main characters of the show, there's no doubt about that! But then we have Spike who is considered a main character by the staff, and the CMCs and Starlight are in the supporting characters category. I find this to be rather odd with each part these characters play.

Spike is considered a main character, regardless of not having an Element of Harmony, and not being called by the Cutie Map. Every episode where he's the starring role so far, Twilight always appears, regardless of Twilight having at least one without him (No Second Prances). Also unlike the rest of the main cast, Spike doesn't share many episodes with another main character. Plus, he usually has less starring roles per season than any of the Mane Six, AND even supporting characters like the CMCs and Starlight have more than him. Also, Spike wasn't treated that serious before season 6, and has the fewest amount of songs than even certain supporting characters.

Now the CMCs, they get a ton of episodes on their own and a ton of songs. Starlight's been getting a ton of episodes and she was even called by the Cutie Map once! She was even a season hero in the previous season! Now all this is making me question who's considered a main character or not. It's either Starlight and the CMCs did enough stuff for them to be considered main characters, or Spike should be considered a supporting character since side characters seem to be doing more than him. Now I'm not complaining that Spike isn't doing anything, he is doing stuff now! 

Hide contents

It's just that, we already got summaries up to episode 23 this season, and yet Spike only has just 1 episode so far just like in season 5, even though there are certain characters like the CMCs who have 5 this season!

So pretty much who's considered a main character or not in most TV media is who does the most stuff; and if supporting characters are outshining the main characters, then perhaps supporting characters should be considered main characters, or certain main characters who has supporting characters outshining them on a regular bases should be considered supporting characters.

The mane six, Spike, Starlight, and I guess the CMC.

I usually view all eleven as "main characters": Spike and the mane six are one set, the CMC are another, and Starlight is mostly a set on their own; with some exceptions, the three groups don't overlap very much, and don't really consider each other friends in the same way as others who share a group (or, in Starlight's case, secondary characters). To me, a main character in this show (which I have viewed as an ensemble show since season 2) is a character who consistently receives episodes where they are the focus without sharing said episode with another main character. The CMC quality because they operate as a single unit in most of their episodes. Thus, Starlight is probably a main character, whereas Discord is not. Despite MLP not following the sitcom rule of a main character appears in every episode, I find its rule is equally clear and easy to use. 

• Brohoof 1

Twilight Sparkle is 'the one' like Neo from the Matrix. :P The rest just form a line: from Twi to Z. :lol: A character doesn't need to be in every ep. to be labeled as a main character. Of course, main characters can change--and if this were to happen, it's not always a good call. 

For me, a MAIN character is a character that has its own focused episode at least once a season. And it has to be an episode from his POV and that develop HIM. This is a proof that character is important enough to play a reccuring role and can be called a MAIN character, while SIDE character only play the role of someone interacting with that creature in order to boost his story.

On this show right now, main characters are bascially:

Mane6

Spike

Discord

Starlight

CMC

(Although Big Mac had more exposure in recent seasons, he still mostly played a supportive roles that usually were about his sibling. He himself has the importance of Granny Smith. A side character. As well as Princess Luna and Celestia)

The show is diversifying when it comes to our main characters, with Starlight Glimmer in particular becoming a more important character over the course of Season 6 and she seems to be continuing down that route for Season 7, which I am not opposed to. However, despite having less screen time than she perhaps did in the earlier seasons, I still definitely consider Twilght to be the main character. Whenever the Mane 6 are attempting to save Equestria from some evil villain from the past, the episode always either completely focuses on Twilight and only Twilight ( Twilight's Kingdom ) or the final or most difficult trial of the episode, usually at the climax will have Twilight be the only one who takes it on ( The Crystal Empire and The Return Of Harmony ). The show may have changed dramatically recently, but I do believe that Twilight Sparkle as our main protagonist is here to stay, at least for the time being.