Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can we move the "Character Count" box?

RealityPublishing

I'm not sure if it's just me or if there's some way to change this; but the character counter (since the recent Ponyverse upgrade), has been nothing but an annoyance by obstructing the view and disabling right-click (spellcheck) on any pieces of text underneath it. Is there anyway to move the counter back to the margin around the text editor as it was in the previous version? Thank you. 

-Rebus

• Brohoof 24

And I'll be the one, who will show the nice collection of these threads we have so far. :catface: 

8 hours ago, RealityPublishing said:

I'm not sure if it's just me

So as you can see, you're definitely not the only one. ;) 

For more information, you can visit the three threads mentioned above. :) 

• Brohoof 12

I hate where it is currently located.

Whenever I were to make some of my longer posts, the counter box would get in the way of my text, making it a pain to post what I wanted to in the first place.

I really, really want it to be changed.

• Brohoof 6

You know what I do when writing to sidestep the issue? First, before I start typing, I'd hit Enter to start on the 2nd line. Then, type out my message. Finally, backspace before the text to shift it back into place. (In fact, that's just what I did right now in this post!)

• Brohoof 4

On 6/15/2017 at 10:13 AM, WiiGuy2014 said:

You know what I do when writing to sidestep the issue? First, before I start typing, I'd hit Enter to start on the 2nd line. Then, type out my message. Finally, backspace before the text to shift it back into place. (In fact, that's just what I did right now in this post!)

The workarounds I use are similar. I enter to go to the second line, quote when ever possible, and even have a hot key that automatically adds a meme image url I made. ;)

Its become less of a usability issue, and more of a principled argument concerning communication. 

However. The answer was given in one of Poniverse's Discord channels by Feld0. Basically there are no tech resources currently allocated to MLPF. 

Hey look, that was quite easy to type. Communication is magic!

• Brohoof 3

I find it extremely annoying, due to the fact that I can make enough typos as is, and blocking the text is not going to help with it. Like right about now. I can barely see it. Almost out now... good. 

It's not big, but it is enough to be an annoyance especially if it can be solved.

• Brohoof 2

I've posted about this too. It's really annoying, I tend to copy and paste my text elsewhere just to make sure I don't make a sloppy mistake or something.

12 hours ago, FlitterFlutter said:

The problem is even more annoying when trying to use a mobile phone. If it is possible I too would request it to be moved.

Thanks for your consideration!

Wait wat, the character box is in the right place on my mobile phone? Weird.

7 hours ago, Nico said:

Wait wat, the character box is in the right place on my mobile phone? Weird.

That is curious. What OS and browser are you using? Can you screen shot and post that here please? 

3 minutes ago, Jeric said:

That is curious. What OS and browser are you using? Can you screen shot and post that here please? 

Safari, iOS 10.3.2 

(edited)
2 minutes ago, Jeric said:

And where is the default position of cursor relative to the character counter?

I guess you mean the straight line right? It's below it. I'm too lazy to screenshot it again, but it's somewhere here:

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, Nico said:

I guess you mean the straight line right? It's below it. I'm too lazy to screenshot it again, but it's somewhere here:

Thanks ... I picked up my iPhone to check in Safari. Yep. You're right. 

Jack-Nicholson.gif

I bet if someone writes a review blog off-site with the actual corporate officers names mentioned, they divert resources really quick. Funny thing about web development ... Google is your resume.

Wouldn't be as big of an issue if they didn't go into their silence echo chamber and rely on people without access to try and appease the people complaining. 

The RP site can wait. You have people annoyed Peter. Fix it. 

Thanks ... I picked up my iPhone to check in Safari. Yep. You're right. 

Jack-Nicholson.gif

I bet if someone writes a review blog off-site with the actual corporate officers names mentioned, they divert resources really quick. Funny thing about development ... Google is your resume.

Wait I don't get it what's wrong with it being kind of fine on iPhone?

4 minutes ago, Nico said:

Wait I don't get it what's wrong with it being kind of fine on iPhone?

Oh no. You're fine. It just highlights a bad practice in development is all. 

Just now, Jeric said:

Oh no. You're fine. It just highlights a bad practice in development is all. 

Ahhh, yeah I gotchu:D Well anyway, are they actually not planning on moving this thing? Like is it actually hard to do or something?

1 hour ago, Nico said:

Ahhh, yeah I gotchu:D Well anyway, are they actually not planning on moving this thing? Like is it actually hard to do or something?

Simple answer is who knows and no in that order.  

They have resources dedicated to taking a phpFox package and tailoring its social media and forum elements for a new RP site. 

None of that matters when you ignore basic PMP and UAT fundamentals. 

Simple answer is who knows and no in that order.  

They have resources dedicated to taking a phpFox package and tailoring its social media and forum elements for a new RP site. 

None of that matters when you ignore basic PMP and UAT fundamentals. 

Guess we're just gonna have to wait.

On 6/30/2017 at 3:50 PM, Jeric said:

I bet if someone writes a review blog off-site with the actual corporate officers names mentioned, they divert resources really quick. Funny thing about web development ... Google is your resume.

Wouldn't be as big of an issue if they didn't go into their silence echo chamber and rely on people without access to try and appease the people complaining. 

The RP site can wait. You have people annoyed Peter. Fix it. 

Last I heard, they're on the hunt for devs. The biggest issue is that, as you said, no one is assigned to the tech dev team for MLPF; moreover, very few people want to volunteer their time to grapple with the monster that is IPS.

But indeed, if there is a loud enough outcry, I suspect someone will jury rig a solution. As a general rule that applies beyond MLPF, devs rarely respond to complaints spontaneously: they'd rather focus their energies on work already assigned to them or projects of personal interest. Because everyone at Poniverse is a volunteer, expect the latter condition to apply more so than the former. The approach makes sense -- you'd be preoccupied with constant smaller fixes otherwise -- but it does lead to situations such as these wherein nobody acknowledges a pervasive issue.

• Brohoof 3

9 minutes ago, Yellow Diamond said:

Because everyone at Poniverse is a volunteer, expect the latter condition to apply more so than the former. The approach makes sense -- you'd be preoccupied with constant smaller fixes otherwise -- but it does lead to situations such as these wherein nobody acknowledges a pervasive issue.

Considering that web development tends to thrive in sharing information and online volunteerism (for eventual professional gain of course), this may speak to a larger issue beyond the scope of this particular thread.

Communities like Stack Overflow and GitHub have long thrived (and become almost mandatory for any individual wanting to break into development) based on doing work for free (especially piecemeal). 

Smaller communities like FreeCodeCamp are built on sharing knowledge, growing skills, and doing so with prospective developers working on non-profit websites. That adds a wrinkle to the whole volunteer argument. I've long been a proponent of not relying on fandom developers and shared credit on code. It's a novel concept, but even without crediting programmers Poniverse is a NP Corporation and can setup a way of validation to anyone wanting to place project work on their resume. 

Perhaps that is one of the main reasons it's hard to find and retain developers. The focus is too narrow perhaps. In the end, I'm generally a person that gives advice based on real world application. The existence of threads like these with a lack of communication and action are easy for potential recruiters to find, which really can limit job prospects for developers. Your online presence (or lack thereof) can be an asset or a liability. 

And this isn't even discussing Scrum, DMAIC, or any other continuous improvement philosphy used in development or business. This could be a massively phenomenal platform for budding developers to practice and learn skills that are actually in use in the wild. 

Communication is one of the most important skill sets for a Software Engineer working on a team. Just imagine. 

• Brohoof 2