Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

boys form 30% of the pony audience

Steve Piranha

Yes that's not that much, but I think it's mainly due to the fact that they don't separate children and adult viewers. I think the result will be a lot different if you split to two categories !
My opinion ;
-Among children : 10% boys.
-Among adult : 60% boys.

• Brohoof 5

8 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Well, I knew there are boys watching ponies, but I didn't expected to be over a quarter of the overall audience. That's quite alot

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2017/06/hasbros-ceo-brian-goldner-boys-30-of.html

Well lets see

you got the dad, mum and daughter so that's 33% male audience

that poll is wrong

what counts as watching though?

that fuilly though or just channel hopping

hell even the cat might watch it acidentally

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Trotteur Funeste said:

Yes that's not that much, but I think it's mainly due to the fact that they don't separate children and adult viewers. I think the result will be a lot different if you split to two categories !
My opinion ;
-Among children : 10% boys.
-Among adult : 60% boys.

That's closer to my guess. From Bronycon I would say adult males / female is 70% / 30% by number. By mass it would be 90% / 10%  Oh, I made a jab at Bronies!

• Brohoof 4

1 hour ago, BloodDrops said:

Well lets see

that poll is wrong

^You realize "boys" pretty much means anyone under 18, right? I know it's stupid, but that is how these polls tend to classify things. Granted, I was 18 when I started watching MLP in 2011, buuut, so, so many other bronies at the time were around 16-17. Remember how ponies were the "new edgy" thing to be into back then? "Boys" would be on Jewtube looking up BLOPS vids and pmvs pretty much one after the other (I know I was xD). Nazi Zombies and Ponies go together like PB & Jelly :P 

I am assuming they only mean boys at the target audience. From the term "boys" alone seems to refer to them. How do they determine that though? They aren't going around getting that information each viewer or anything. At least I hope not.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2017 at 11:36 PM, Steve Piranha said:

Well, I knew there are boys watching ponies, but I didn't expected to be over a quarter of the overall audience. That's quite alot

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2017/06/hasbros-ceo-brian-goldner-boys-30-of.html

The problem is that those statistics are w r o n g

2 hours ago, Techno Universal said:

Anyways there's a big 30% on us boys! And that's... (Nice! From Michael Rosen.) We need some more 30% cooler meamz up in here! :) 

If 1 in 1000 people are bronies on average, 0.066% of all people are bronies

Has the number of boys increased due to actual increase in male fans, or is it that more male fans are coming out now that it is becoming more acceptable? My gut guess: that 30% has always been there, even before FIM.

I'm still a boy :/ but no one would've known that if i didn't say anything because i'm not a straight up idiot :P And i bought mlp school supplies yesterday and i expect bullying but all the bullies have got some points even dumber than internet anti's it's funny.

I always thought the fandom was mostly male (like a good 60% at least). Isn't that what all the silly fuss was about, so many guys liking a girl show? I expected more than 30% boys and obviously quite a few more grown men. 

On 6/16/2017 at 9:13 AM, BronyNumber42 said:

From Bronycon I would say adult males / female is 70% / 30% by number. By mass it would be 90% / 10% 

^This sounds about right. 

2 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

I always thought the fandom was mostly male (like a good 60% at least). Isn't that what all the silly fuss was about, so many guys liking a girl show? I expected more than 30% boys and obviously quite a few more grown men. 

You have to consider a little detail: we bronies LOVE  the show, we are many, and we took the world by surprise, but think how many younger kids who also like the show you expect to be browsing pony sites like this? Just because we are more active, doesn't mean little girls or even little boys won't outnumber us

On 6/30/2017 at 10:25 AM, Lenny said:

The problem is that those statistics are w r o n g

If 1 in 1000 people are bronies on average, 0.066% of all people are bronies

On 6/16/2017 at 8:50 AM, BloodDrops said:

Well lets see

that poll is wrong

what counts as watching though?

that fuilly though or just channel hopping

hell even the cat might watch it acidentally

Do you have any empirical evidence to suggest that Hasbro's demographic and psychographic analysis in inferior? Do you two even know who they contract for this information? When you read publications in Demographics Age and articles in American Demographics, can recognize who Young & Rubicam are, know the difference between population and universe, then come talk to me. 

There is nothing to suggest that their consumer data collection, analysis, and interpretation is flawed. There is nothing in the article suggesting that they haven't contrasted the Pony brand with others. There is nothing suggesting that they didn't account for outliers. If this was a legitimate discussion on banking and financial reporting and the inherent issues with P$YCLE as a model, then I would be dubious of any results as it hasn't been thoroughly tested, and it's diversity modelling is already showing signs of false positives. 

Anyway, I have nothing to doubt the numbers Goldner suggested. What matters is how he intends to apply specific MP techniques going forward. 

Oh! And did he mention what segment he was talking about in that article? Did you read it? Was he talking about the merch or the show? Was he talking about target age or all consumers? Does it even mention those details? What can you derive from the context of the article? Is there a reason he would actually exclude adult buying habits in one model (spoiler alert ... there is). 

4 hours ago, Jeric said:

empirical

I got lost at that word. >When the site says there are 13 year olds on and they don't understand the language of the people here