Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Arrogant or Hypocritical? Which is worse?

ZethaPonderer

On 6/19/2017 at 7:55 PM, SCS said:

However, generally speaking, and putting aside the extremes found in both characteristics, in my opinion arrogance is more likely to be annoying while hypocrisy is more likely to be dangerous.

That is an appropriate way of looking at both traits. In my teens I was once described as a person who had an "elevated sense of self-worth". That was a nice way of saying I was arrogant as all get out. Even so, I had no shortage of friends. I probably annoyed the hell out of some of them. 

Now if I was a hypocrite, that is a legitimate path to disloyalty, and as you said ... potentially dangerous. 

• Brohoof 1

On 6/17/2017 at 3:51 PM, Jeric said:

It completely depends on the subject in which someone is hypocritical or arrogant about. I can (and have) seen situations where hypocrisy is understandable as is arrogance. I've also seen people confuse hypocrisy with fluidity. 

I have to largely agree with this. 

But, I would say in the average instance... hypocrisy is worse. In my experience, it's easier to persuade or educate the arrogant than it is to set a hypocrite on the right track.

With hypocrisy comes a conflict of values and often times for that person's own gain at the expense of others. 

• Brohoof 1

16 minutes ago, Nebula Wolf said:

I have to largely agree with this. 

But, I would say in the average instance... hypocrisy is worse. In my experience, it's easier to persuade or educate the arrogant than it is to set a hypocrite on the right track.

With hypocrisy comes a conflict of values and often times for that person's own gain at the expense of others. 

Aye. There is a curious thought experiment with hypocrisy that usually pits someone's personal values that they preach against the values held by their occupation. For example, a person who claims to be an animal lover and have many pets, but is also a medical researcher for a pharmaceutical firm that tests on animals. 

There is definitely nuance in arguments like that. In that example, is the researchers personal appearance the contrivance, or is his professional appearance the fraudulent aspect of his life? Does the artifice have to be purposely manufactured for it to be actual hypocrisy? Is it possible to be innocently inconsistent without hypocrisy? Based on what you and I mentioned, I would venture that a planned deception would have to occur. 

• Brohoof 1

Everyone is a hypocrite to a certain extent when you think about it. But arrogant people piss me off so much.

6 minutes ago, Nico said:

Everyone is a hypocrite to a certain extent when you think about it. But arrogant people piss me off so much.

Perhaps the world we live in nowadays has become much easier for everyone to commit acts of hypocrisy because of lacking awareness due to too much things to handle all at once due to the effects of globalization which would incite many to be justified in their position to remain ignorant and uninformed rather than be egotistical and misinformed.

I'm willing to believe that this was not the case during the Ancient times where people would value moral codes that would incite many to be sincere with both their actions and intentions for the sole purpose of survival. Plus, they still lived in tribes and nations to easily identify each other. Nowadays, things have become complex. So, I cannot begin to imagine how difficult it must've been for a hypocrite in the Dark Ages to thrive.

Either way it doesn't matter, cause to me a hypocrite will always be a person pretending to be good on the outside but on the inside he's evil and he knows it. A Pretender of being Just that is.

• 1 year later...