Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does Anyone Else Have Trouble Getting Into Bethesda Games?

OmegaBeamOfficial

(edited)

I like Bethesda's games, but not for the reason I think most people like them.

I don't think Bethesda are great at creating RPGs. They're good at developing sandboxes and worlds to explore. But when it comes to storytelling and giving players choices in the narrative, it's really lacking. Take Elder Scrolls for example. While there's a lot to explore and the lore is pretty interesting, the storyline is always pretty bland and forgettable. And I hate how none of your choices constrain you at all. You can quickly and easily become the leader of every guild and face no consequences. Morrowind was a lot better for that. It's kind of sad how the Bethesda's games have been progressively getting stream-lined to their detriment since Morrowind.

I did like how Fallout 4 gave you the choice to join one of multiple factions. They obviously took inspiration from Fallout: New Vegas. It wasn't anywhere near as robust, but it's a start. I did hate that there was an overemphasis on shooting and a lack of choice in some parts of the game. And I hate how they gave you a voiced character with a very established backstory; it killed the role-playing aspects for me because I was always forced into the role of a parent looking for their baby. I don't think Bethesda are going to do justice to a voiced protagonist given their track record with storytelling, anyway. They're never going to compete with CD PROJEKT RED or Bioware in that regard.

For future games, I think Bethesda should just focus on creating a good sandbox world and try giving more depth to some of the RPG elements. And stick to voiceless protagonists!

Edited by Tiny Hoofs
  • Brohoof 2

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Played Fallout 3 for a bit and got pretty bored. I liked Morrowind a bit more, but I couldn't really get into that one either. I can totally see why people like them, but they just aren't my type of games.