Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Perfect Pear  

221 users have voted

1. 1. Like or Dislike?

• AJ: "Great-Granduncle Chili Pepper can write a better script!" ("HATE IT!" >__<)
    • AJ: "Dear Princess Celestia, I didn't learn a thing!" ("Dislike it!")
    • AJ: "Granny? Did you fall asleep again?" Granny: "Zzzzz" ("…meh…")
    • *Big Mac and AJ sit up proudly like a summer corn stalk* ("Like it!)
    • AJ: *crying on the inside AND outside* ("LOVE IT!" <3)
    • *As Pears and Apples unite under the tree, Bright Mac's and Pear Butter's spirits join with them, singing to the tune of their guitar* ("It's AMAZING!" :D)

This got to be one of the worst episode where the lesson should have better expressed. the lesson to elope when you're afraid to tell your parent you're together is a huge big f**kin no- no lesson to the kids about love and trust. I get it the lesson is to accept the differences but by eloping is a weak way to do it.  This is a kid's show, not some soap opera,  Causing your parents heartache till he grows old is pretty hash to do to your own parent. They should instead of eloping tell their parent first and discuss it like an adults and get them to understand.  of course grand pear wouldn't agreed because she just married to a guy without him knowing about her having a boyfriend. I would be furious too if one of my kids (if i have any) goes off to marry some punk i don't know anything about. 

I was glad the apples didn't end up meeting their parent in person because that could raise a lot of concerns about how young love goes south. Iwsh they never made that episode. 

Edited by TBD

• 2 weeks later...

OOOOOOOOH WHHHAAAAAT I cannot believe how good this episode issskghrrgdhvxpmja

Even with all this time seeing people talking it up while I've been slowly making my way up the episode list I thought it was just the fan filter speaking; this one completely blindsided me with a harpoon to the heart.

There is absolutely nothing of analytical sense I am inclined to add about this episode, but I needed to unleash my months late visceral fan child squeal somewhere

• Brohoof 2

Their story since years or decades ago before Nightmare Moon is set free, those two ponies Bright Mac and Pear Butter are best friends and love each other. They were going to get married but was interrupted by Grand Pear and Granny Smith by means felt of disappointment between their parents. I didn't want those two ponies who were trying to get married leave with their disappointed parents!

Also, the song in this episode is in D major, so it was a lovely song with her voice after coming back from the hiatus in this season! :love:

Finally, the Pirate, has SEEN THIS EPISODE!

This was incredibly amazing episode. This may be one of my favorite episodes of the entire series. Excellent storytelling, great character work, voice acting galore (you could tell the cast was invested in this one) - a beautiful song and a perfect ending. This is one of the tops, friends and neighbors. 

• Brohoof 1

This probably ranks up there with one of the most emotionally impactful episodes in the series for me, and I'm glad it was about Applejack and her parents. It didn't make me cry happy tears, but I had to try really hard. :rarity:

10/10

The romance stuff here is just splendid. The dialogue has personality and attitude, the song is fantastic, and the protagonists are given just enough personality to be charming. It's just a small-town Romeo and Juliet with a higher opinion of its protagonists, but it's gorgeous and charming, and the actual conflict would be intrinsically sympathetic even if the Apple parents weren't very charming in their own right. And I think I underestimated the present stuff, too; the Apple kids talk about their parents almost like folkloric characters, and several other ponies drop lines indicating they're just happy to let the Apples know a bit more of who there parents were before whatever happens. 

Thematically, I'm most fond of how this deals with regret - it takes too long to wind up, but it slowly builds up over the course of the second half, starting with Mrs. Cake's offhand remark that she "never found the time" to tell the Apple kids about their parents. The denouement is the most powerful part: Gran Pear and Granny Smith have both been living with the knowledge that their feud tore a family apart, and while I would have liked more development of their motivations, you can immediately tell that they've been carrying complicated feelings about it for a while. And now it's too late to see his daughter again, so there's only one way for Gran Pear to find closure. That stuff doesn't hit quite hit as hard on a second viewing, but it's still got a lot of power. The Apple kids don't even know why the feud started, and so much uncertainty and pain is lifted once the grandparents finally put all that dumb squabbling behind them. 

I also really like how the Apples react to learning about their parents. Apart from a few choice lines, it's all subtle, but you can see how much these stories mean to them - an absence filled through memory. I still think the episode spends a bit too long dwelling on the pear feud stuff, because it really doesn't matter, but that informs the emotional context of the previous paragraph as well as the (lovely) flashbacks, so I guess it's worth it. I still think it would be more powerful if it weren't so distant - we have no idea what the Apple parents were like when they were actually together, let alone when they lived with their kids - but then, that's more likely to be familiar to the Apple kids, and probably wouldn't have filled as much of a void. 

With that said, though, I still don't really think this coalesces very well. The stuff with Gran Pear and Granny Smith is sort of just in the background, almost none of it makes sense if you don't work out that the Apple parents are dead (which I still think is possible), and the actual flashback story is kinda just cliched, which is an issue because that's what gets the most focus. Still, there's a lot more of the framing story than I remembered, and while I was prepared to point out issues in the themes here, I wound up realizing that I actually really like them for the most part. The ending is just sort of cheesy, though; that the Apple parents loved each other is where most of the surface charm comes from, but it's by some margin the least substantial part of this story. Then again, maybe there's a deeper significance I'll come to understand soon; I find this rather loosely plotted, but that's exactly how it manages to have so many universal truths while keeping them so subtle. It's certainly artful. 

You know what, I might just be converted to the "best episode ever" crowd yet. For now:

Score:

Entertainment - 10/10

Characters - 9/10

Themes - 8/10

Story - 7/10

Overall: 85/100

• 1 month later...

I'm playing Fallout New Vegas, and I'm planning to do some pony joke there: I'll recruit Veronica Santagelo as one of my companions, and pretend that I'm wandering the Mojave with Red Velvet and Little Pip's great great great many times over grandmother: Pear Butter :D 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2017 at 6:35 PM, Lambdadelta said:

I hope the writers wont use necromancy to resurrect AJ's parents ;)

Or even stranger: they were in hiding from some sort of conspiracy they unwittingly uncovered together and left their children under the care of Granny Smith and feigned their deaths to protect them. 

• 3 weeks later...

Gotta admit, the episode really made me cry, and not a lot of MLP episodes did that, I could even say that this was the first one, loved it!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2017 at 2:23 PM, TBD, Scoffer of TBA said:

the lesson to elope when you're afraid to tell your parent you're together is a huge big f**kin no- no lesson to the kids about love and trust.

That's not the lesson. The lesson in TPP is to be able to grieve and heal after making mistakes you can't repair. The night Grand Pear disowned Buttercup was the last time he saw her alive. He'll never be able to apologize to her for how he treated her at the wedding, and he has to cope with that. The guilt in his voice as he apologized to Apple Bloom adds to the tragedy he's coupled with.

• Brohoof 4

1 hour ago, Dark Qiviut said:

That's not the lesson. The lesson in TPP is to be able to grieve and heal after making mistakes you can't repair. The night Grand Pear disowned Buttercup was the last time he saw her alive. He'll never be able to apologize to her for how he treated her at the wedding, and he has to cope with that. The guilt in his voice as he apologized to Apple Bloom adds to the tragedy he's coupled with.

I read that months ago and considered responding, and figured it wasn't worth it. The opinion felt frozen in stone. It's already a win for anyone willing to pick it apart because ... either his opinion changes ... or it doesn't ... and by digging his heels in on such a minor thing as a view of a TV episode, it lends weight to the possibility that this particular parent would do the same even if they had all the information about the relationship. Logic loop. ;)

I also think it's amusing that all the actual parents (like me) in this thread had literally no issue with them eloping. There are also a few major issues with premise that an episode which features a secret wedding would carry the same lasting moral impression that more commonly applied lessons would. Kids aren't going to have much opportunity to practice this particular quandary, and by the time they are adults, I would hope life decisions aren't fully dictated by a cartoon they say a decade prior.

It's really a Grand Canyon sized leap to assume that this episode would sow any seed that bypasses the organic nature of how young adult dating works. It helps having first hand experience being in love with a woman whose parents hating one of mine (and weren't fans of a white collar 'elitist' boy marrying into their family). 

• Brohoof 2

If I could change one thing about this episode, is the end. I would prefer Granny showing Grand Pear and the siblings the tree. :twi: But it's all fine. Watched it again for the tenth time. 

13 hours ago, Dark Qiviut said:

I agreed with you on that, but I'm just thought that maybe they could at least tell their parent they been dating each other instead of  hiding it from them. Despite of whether they approve it or not. I can understand why their parent would be upset since i would too.  If my kids (if I have a kid)  go off marrying someone behind my back, let alone not letting me know they been seeing someone. That to me is a big :eww:. I think both side is at fault, a parent who fail to be open minded and their children fails to communicate better between them and their parent. 

7 minutes ago, TBD, Scoffer of TBA said:

but I'm just thought that maybe they could at least tell their parent they been dating each other instead of  hiding it from them. Despite of whether they approve it or not.

Buttercup and Bright Mac are 100% justified to hide their relationship from their families. The Pears and Apples hated each other, were raised on hating their rival (these families rivaled for better capital and profit), and refused to have any of their family do as much as look at the other without contempt. BC and BM doing as much as talking to each other broke a major family rule.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

@Dark Qiviut 

Well it sure doesn't make it better by eloping. I would be more lenient  if they could at least shows and tell their parent that rivalry should not be a thing anymore. you know? be the first  example (role model) that the pears and apples can get along though their relationship.  And if their parent still wouldn't agree to it, then they can do whatever they wish with each other. 

@TBD, Scoffer of TBA Again, think about why they hid their relationship. It was taboo. Doing as much as talking violated a major family rule for each. The Pears' decision to move to Vanhoover unannounced nearly destroyed their relationship. Bright Mac setting up a secret wedding and both he and BC marrying keeps them together and makes the rivaled families one. Grand Pear (and the Pear family altogether) disowned one of their own because they weren't able to let their hatred for the Apples go, while Granny Smith welcomed her to the Apple family with open arms (and remained rightfully bitter at Grand Pear for how he treated her).

It was already established in dialog by one of the parents that they didn't approve of any romantic relationship with the other. :mellow:

1 hour ago, TBD, Scoffer of TBA said:

If my kids (if I have a kid)  go off marrying someone behind my back, let alone not letting me know they been seeing someone. That to me is a big :eww:

I am a parent of two kids in their last months of being minors, so I'm closer to having a realistic standing in this situation. If I acted like a shortsighted stubborn ass to my adult daughter, then I would deserve missing out on their wedding. I don't get to choose who they marry. Grand Pear was completely in the wrong here, and the response justifies that they made the right call. Personally, I think the boy my youngest daughter is dating now is lazy as hell, but I'm not about to ruin my relationship over my disapproval of him. That's actually the normal response. When you abdicate reason, patience and empathy with your children, you abdicate your role. Period. 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Out of all Mlp episodes I’ve seen over the years this one truly hit home hard me me and I loved every second of it. Even if you HATE Mlp even if you HATE bronies I’d still recommend this episode. I shed many tears with all the sweet moments and I give it a perfect 1000/1000!

On 6/28/2017 at 3:24 AM, Jeric said:

His story is so extraordinarily tragic, and actually one that can be applied universally. Not everyone will find that perfect match, but almost everyone will face a choice in their lives that can lead to regret. 

Curse you for that link I'd just stopped crying over this episode and then this started me off again.

I really can't think of anything to say about this episode that's not been said before but it's just so emotional starting off with things like the cat liking its lips at Golden Delicious falling down and the stories showing us a loving couple growing up knowing they're going to die at the end even if it wont be said, that song, that tree . . . god's I really struggle at times to understand how people can just dismiss something as a childrens cartoong when it has things like this.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

This episode is fine. There's nothing wrong here, but Bright Mac and Pear Butter's romance is about as average as you can get. There are no big surprises with them, it's all exactly what you expect. It takes a stock plot and just plays it straight. It's not as bad as "The Mane Attraction" in this regard as it clearly has much more effort put into it and it's much more charming than that episode, but it still suffers from being so cliche. What makes it above average is the already mentioned charm and the fact that some emotional moments do work, specifically with Grand Pear.

Score: 6/10

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is kind of old, but I am new to MLP Forums and just had to visit it since it is on my favorite episode! 

The thing that stuck out most was the fact that the series touched on more "sensitive" topics than traditional episodes regarding friendship. It dealt with problems regarding family and the hardships it faces when its members don't get along for whatever reason. Being that this is a children's show, it was surprising to see this, but also, I thought it was a very important topic that children shouldn't be shielded away from. It taught a very important lesson about love and how important family is. 

One thing I was disappointed about was the fact that we didn't get to see what happened to Buttercup and Bright Mac. For me, this really ate me up and it left me wondering what had happened to them. Eventually, I came up with a theory and this ultimately prompted me to write a story on Fimfiction: A Quest for Love: An Apple-Pear Family Story. Basically an expansion to this episode and tells the events that lead up to "The Perfect Pear". Let me know what you all think!

But to give an honest review, I would definitely rate this episode 10/10. My reason: The lesson it teaches is different than most (yet important), there are so many feels, we get to see AJ"s parents, Captain Kirk is in it, and also, the song by Felicia Day is phenomenal! 

Edited by PINOYPONY_30
Typos lol
  • Brohoof 1