Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Perfect Pear  

221 users have voted

1. 1. Like or Dislike?

• AJ: "Great-Granduncle Chili Pepper can write a better script!" ("HATE IT!" >__<)
    • AJ: "Dear Princess Celestia, I didn't learn a thing!" ("Dislike it!")
    • AJ: "Granny? Did you fall asleep again?" Granny: "Zzzzz" ("…meh…")
    • *Big Mac and AJ sit up proudly like a summer corn stalk* ("Like it!)
    • AJ: *crying on the inside AND outside* ("LOVE IT!" <3)
    • *As Pears and Apples unite under the tree, Bright Mac's and Pear Butter's spirits join with them, singing to the tune of their guitar* ("It's AMAZING!" :D)

As beautiful, heartwarming, and emotional the song is, my favorite moment comes from a little before that: when Big Mac asks Burnt Oak if he could stop by every now and then to hear more stories about Bright Mac.

I can't put my finger on it, but that line is getting me choked up. It's such a beautiful touch that copes with death while still remembering the good times and shooting up to the audience.

• Brohoof 13

(edited)

*As Pears and Apples unite under the tree, Bright Mac's and Pear Butter's spirits join with them, singing to the tune of their guitar* ("It's AMAZING!" :D)

This^ is officially the greatest vote option I've seen on this site.

Edited by Anti-Villain
  • Brohoof 6

This episode was romantic and tragic mixed into one.which I absolutely adore and love. The apple siblings liked learning every piece of knowledge on their parents,but at the same time heartbreaking to be in their hooves and have no parents growing up. I theorize that buttercup gave birth to big mac at a young age,then applejack,then toward her midle age had applebloom. Something that most likely happened was depression due to buttercups past,it seems the father couldve died of old age. Or are they out there somewhere,both,mom?dad?. It could be they dont want their foals to have the stress of knowing about their tough past. The resson i believe they could be alive is the episode set the mod of something happening to them,although it does not give confirmation of their death.

definitely a heartwarming and extremely sad episode in and of itself

• Brohoof 3

Pretty good episode. I didn't enjoy it as much as some of you but it's pretty normal since romance stuff isn't really a thing which would touch me much. Nonetheless I like most of the scenes set in present time especially because of the fact we could see some backstory for already established characters (it was a nice touch to include the Mayor and Ms Cake in the story and even giving a bit of explanation to how the later received her cutie mark thanks to Butter Cup) and even the new character had a good scene with Big Mac which put him on board. The scenes set in the past were more hit and miss for me with all the lovey-dovey stuff I can't really stand and some strange scenes like the one with Bright Mac destroying the water tower. But hey... It's juste me ^^... I wasn't also very impressed by the rythm in some part (but it was expected with how much the episode try to tell us in so little time) and the ending was sweet but kind of raise the question about how none of the Apples ever found this special tree in the first place. It would have been much better if Granny knew all along this place, hide it and finaly show it at the end to her grand children and Grand Pear. But...my opinion again ^^...

Now for my new personal headcanon after this episode :

- Bright Mac and Butter Cup died during a trip triying to find the new Pear's home to reconnect with this part of the familly some years after the events of this episode. But during the trip an accident occur and they died before finding the Pears.

- When Chiffon Swirl decided to change name at her wedding to become Cup Cake she choose the Cup part to pay tribute to her late friend Butter Cup.

• Brohoof 5

1 hour ago, A.V. said:

Pear Butter, Y U look liek Button's Mom?

I actually don't mind that, it had an impact on my kids since my wife's OC was modeled to be reminiscent of Button's Mom thanks to the kids. 

• Brohoof 1

33 minutes ago, Hebbocake said:

The story is too cliche, unoriginal and overdone I cringed when I saw it unfold.

As someone who has lived a romance that is every bit as cliched as a modern Young Adult novel, I tend to forgive this.

Also

36 minutes ago, Hebbocake said:

The special pear and apple tree not being known by Granny Smith in those 80+ years she lived on the farm... no, bullshit.

This is actually very explainable, and they kinda gave a hint at why in the show. After my wife passed, her mother will NOT step foot in my house. You see, a few year back my in-laws ran into money issues. To save the house I ended up buying it. It was my wife's childhood home. We moved in and ... well ... it is asking where my wife took her last breath. It's too painful for my mother-in-law to be in the home she raised her daughter in. 

I can imagine Granny not wanting to visit the site they got married at, because of the pain it brings. Not just because of Pear Butter and her son, but also because of Grand Pear. The show did give is the background that Granny gets upset at the mention of the Pear clan. So, it's actually kinda in line with long term grieving. 

I don't say that in an effort to change your mind, but at least others who read it might actually enjoy the touch of added depth that brings the character. 

42 minutes ago, flurryheartlove said:

The resson i believe they could be alive is the episode set the mod of something happening to them,although it does not give confirmation of their death.

The only time you speak of someone in past tense who is alive is when they are figuratively dead to you. That isn't the case because of the tree. There was no falling out with the tragic lovers and the Apples. I like the idea that they may have passed while on a trip to reconnect with Grand Pear in Vanhoover after Applebloom was born. 

They definitely didn't die of old age. They would be around the ages of the other parents we've seen. 

• Brohoof 8

(edited)
On 2017-06-21 at 1:33 PM, Jeric said:

I actually don't mind that, it had an impact on my kids since my wife's OC was modeled to be reminiscent of Button's Mom thanks to the kids. 

Never said it was a bad thing. Just wanted an excuse for the "Y U […]?" meme.

Edited by Anti-Villain

33 minutes ago, Zel said:

- Bright Mac and Butter Cup died during a trip triying to find the new Pear's home to reconnect with this part of the familly some years after the events of this episode. But during the trip an accident occur and they died before finding the Pears.

Accepted

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

You see this episode, Becky Wangberg, writer of "Hard to Say Anything"? THIS is how you do an romance episode.

Uh... hum... dear, Joanna Lewis & Kristine Songco, how could you write a beautiful romance story like this and wrote a shitty romance subplot like Timber x Sci-Twi?

It look like EQG made everyone become bad...

• Brohoof 6

(edited)
On 2017-06-21 at 2:16 PM, Lambdadelta said:

Uh... hum... dear, Joanna Lewis & Kristine Songco, how could you write a beautiful romance story like this and wrote a shitty romance subplot like Timber x Sci-Twi?

It look like EQG made everyone become bad...

Still a better romance than Twilight. *Is shot for overused meme.*

Edited by Anti-Villain
  • Brohoof 4

I didn't except this episode... 

This is probably one of my favourites episodes ever. Is just so... beautiful. I cried with the song, and with the final. This is the most touching episode in the entire show, probably even more than "Crusader of the Lost Mark", in my opinion. 

• Brohoof 6

3 minutes ago, jorge123esp said:

probably even more than "Crusader of the Lost Mark", in my opinion. 

Before this ... CotLM was my personal favorite episode. It is really hard to honestly assess an episode this soon after watching it, and especially one that was as personal or emotional, but that said Amending Fences, CotLM, Sisterhooves Social, Parental Glideance, and Suited For Success definitely will have company. 

• Brohoof 5

5 hours ago, Lambdadelta said:

HOW CAN THE BABIES TALK LIKE ADULT? Are they just use psychic or sth, because that's ridiculous. 

It's a flashback. They probably didn't actually speak like that. 

While I wish this episode actually revealed what happened to Applejack's parents, I still found it pretty lovely. The Pear Butter/Bright Mac romance is adorable, hearing more about Mrs. Cake and the Apple family is lovely, and all the hints of melancholy affected me a lot. I cried! This season is finally hitting its stride, it seems, and I couldn't be happier for it. 

Full review at my blog

• Brohoof 9

12 hours ago, Dark Qiviut said:

I just listened to the song again.

To say it's beautiful is a MAJOR understatement! My eyes started to water a little.

Did you wind up going full-on crying when you listened to the song?

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

The show did give is the background that Granny gets upset at the mention of the Pear clan. So, it's actually kinda in line with long term grieving.

Y'know, thanks for pointing that out. It was bugging me a little bit as to why AJ and Mac were so panicked over Granny finding an item from a Pear at the start of the episode, the inference being that she was still mad at the Pear clan due to the longstanding feud. If that had been the case, then how did she manage to live under the same roof with a Pear for all those years since the ending left Granny and Butter Pear's relationship somewhere between indeterminate and strained? Furthermore, she reconciled so fast at the end it seemed that her grandchildren's impressions about her feelings were off right from the start, which didn't make sense.

But you bring up a good point: She likely wasn't getting upset all those times in front of her grandchildren because of the feud, but was upset because such items brought back memories of her lost daughter. She probably didn't reconcile with Grand Pear even after both of their children died probably because she thought he still hated her. So no discontinuity there after all.

Thinking about it a little more, it's even sadder because while it's bad enough having to attend a funeral for a loved one, going to one where the two families don't get along makes it even worse.

• Brohoof 8

This has gotta be my favorite episode now. I never thought I'd get so emotional over MLP but by the end I was crying a bit.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

I am crying right now... I am typing this review with tears in my eyes. because this episode was SO AMAZING

If A Royal Problem was to season 7 what Slice Of Life was to season 5 then The Perfect Pear is season 7's version of Crusaders Of The Lost Mark. This episode needs to go down in history as ONE OF THE BEST of the series. The themes dealt with here are the heaviest in the history of the show. It is an honest to god Romeo and Juliet style love story. 

Employing the vocal talents of Felicia Day and William Shatner. for Pear Butter and Grand Pear respectively was a great move. But I didn't even notice it watching the first time through. The appearances of these two were long awaited and I think it was a beautiful payoff, well worth the wait.

I also want to say If anyone is legitimately upset that William Shatners character didn't come in contact with Discord in any way then I will kindly tell you to fuck off! Just because they were both in Star Trek doesn't mean their characters in MLP need to come into contact with each other as well.

The song was great also! If Felicia Day is the one who sung it then she is a great singer. The song was so pretty it nearly brought a tear to my eye especially that small scene where they are in the rain together, I think that kind of stuff is really romantic. So incredible song. To compare the episode to CoTM again It's not as good as We'll Make Our Mark or even The Pony I Wanna Be but it is still DAMN good I could see myself putting it somewhere in the top 10 if not that then definitely top 15.

And Lastly I want to talk about the themes in this episode. OMG themes of Death, Love, Feuds, Family. MLP has tackled three of these four themes at one time or another... but never Death. This episode deals with death with the final nail in the literal and figurative coffin being "Mom and dad left us somethin' to remember them by." Also as someone in here previously stated 'every mention about them was addressed in the past tense.' 

I want to commend MLP for being this bold. This is pushing the limits, THIS IS WHY I WATCH THIS SHOW! These are the episodes I live for! The ones that push boundaries, and we finally got our first non cock-blocked kiss!!!

Season 7... I know the quality of the rest of the season will not hold a candle to this episode... But I still hope they try, Season 7 has a good shot at becoming my second most favorite season of the show.

Before I close this out there is ONE THING I need to nitpick on. What was up with the voices when they were babies... They sounded so grown up already even though they couldn't have been older than 2 in that scene. IDK I just think it was a bit jarring. But hey that was the only thing I could really find wrong. The rest of the episode was pretty damn immaculate.

This episode was amazing on the whole and the most epic mid-season finale we have ever gotten. 

Joanna Lewis and Kristine Songco... I salute you

9.1/10

Edited by Zantetsuken
  • Brohoof 6

Normally, DHX doesn't write romances very well.

1. In ACW, Cadance and SA's love for each other was confined to exposition, cookie-cutter personalities, and lack of any real development. We're supposed to assume that they were in love for a long time, but their lack of presence and chemistry dulls the impact ACW could've gotten.
  2. FlashLight…all born because Twilight believed he was cute. Doesn't help that Flash is a stereotype.
    1 hour ago, A.V. said:

Still a better romance than Twilight.

*Is shot for overused meme.*

FlashLight's worse than Bella/Edward.

3. Sugar Belle and Big Mac, well… NEXT!

This is the first one they actually write plausibly. The Sister Writers put time to show us not only who Buttercup and Bright Mac are as characters, but also the chemistry to show us how them falling in love makes perfect sense. Neither of them have to admit to being in love with each other. Their actions give it away for us. By the stories friends close to them tell about to Big Mac, AB, and AJ; how much we see them love and help each other; and lighthearted teasing, their personalities and romance become so genuine.

Mrs. Cake's statement of Buttercup's song and Bright Mac's etching of their marks on a rock is SO accurate. It's one of the sweetest love stories ever. If that doesn't warm the cockles of your heart, I don't know what will.

Their love is real. If this wasn't fiction, and you told me a similar story, then chances are I'll believe you.

• Brohoof 6

I really enjoyed this episode a lot. I was in tears throughout the viewing of this episode. It was interesting to see the apple siblings going around and asking about their parents. I laughed when I saw Goldie Delicious's entrance from her home. The ball of cats reminded me of that video game, Katamari. It was interesting to see how the apples and pears could never get along and had a feud. I liked how we got different time frames of Bright Mac and Pear Butter's lives together. I was surprised to see that Mayor Mare and Mrs. Cake knew about their parents. I also found it very interesting how we get to learn about Mrs. Cakes given name. I laughed a bit and was happy to see Mayor Mare's mane was pink. It was a nice callback to the episode, "Ponyville Confidential." I also liked how we get to meet Bright Mac's friend, Burnt Oak. He was a cool character and a friend to the apple sibling's parents. I also liked how Big Mac asked Burnt Oak for more stories from time to time. I at first thought Big Mac would try to ask for some love advice when it came to him and Sugar Bell, but I thought it was a touching moment. The song was amazing and Bright Mac's and Pear Butter's romance was really adorable. I liked how both Granny Smith and Grand Pear were able to put aside their difference and be a family. I loved the moment where they saw Bright Mac's and Pear Butter's trees were intertwined. It felt very symbolic and beautiful, in my opinion. All in all, I loved this episode and it's probably one of my favorite episodes this season. I hope we get to learn more about Bright Mac and Pear Butter in the future. 

• Brohoof 5